MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
cookiejar

Fortification Series: Windows

There are many aspect to window protection. Everything from the simple like breaking glass sensors that sell for about $30 bucks to full window treatments that are shatter proof.

AC100_s.jpg

There are many styles of locks and lock enhancements. From simple track blocks to fully drilled in pin locks.

Do you have any more ideas? Things that have owrked or failed you?

I can't remember who posted it but one Mrs. S Lady simply hung some window chimes by her upstairs back window (not used alot room) as a simple remedy.

Cuttting a small length of wood to wedge in the tracks.

You can use a drill and put pin locks in. Some of the designs (see website below for ideas) can be concealed to frustrate would-be intruders.

snip:

Many sliding glass doors and windows can be lifted out of their tracks from the outside the house. This can be prevented by installing a “pin” lock. Pin locks are installed by drilling a hole through the sliding door or window frame and into the fixed frame. The pin is then inserted preventing up and down or side to side movement. Pin locks are very inexpensive and are available in most hardware stores.

Many people place wooden dowels into the bottom of the window or sliding door track. This is effective is preventing side to side movement. snip

Yavapi Sheriffs Office

StayPinLock.jpg

W107.jpg

http://www.banham.com/windowlocks.html

Food for thought or is that thoughts for guarding your food? wink

I have drilled thru the aluminum sash with the window in a partially open position and inserted a scaffold nail. This allows the window to be open for ventilation yet no one can force it open far enough to climb thru.

I was trying to show a picture of a double headed scaffold nail, but it wouldn't load.

11f63utzJuL._AA200_.jpg

I tried another site and this time it worked. The reason for using the scaffold nail is that it won't sink flush to the surface and you can remove it easily to raise the window all the way. If it is too long, you can grind the tip or use a cut off wheel and cut it shorter.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.