MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
cookiejar

Fortifications series: The Sliding Glass door

I had a shock to my system one time when I was talking to the Assoc. Manager where I lived. She had the groundskeeper with her and they were checking on a house that had been forclosed on and was supposed to be empty. (Don't ask me, I do NOT know the legality).

As she and I talked, The groundsman (nice fella, respectable) simply walked up to the back sliding door, pulled out his machete, slide thru the space between the door and wall and slide it up, LIFTING the wood door jam and then he popped the door off the tracks.

I was flattened...

That became the time to considered pin locks and special sliding glass door locks.

Here's some ideas:

http://www.allaboutdoors.com/index.php?cPath=74_82

There's also Latch Lever styles, but I am not real familar with these.

15085.jpg

Some people swear by non-drilling technics such as Wing locks

products

Or the Suction Stars? I know they look *cutesie*...anyone tried them?

282195zz.jpg

This is a sliding glass door lock with an alarm that was originally created for Mom's with todlers in mind.

sliding_door_lock_with_alarm.jpg

Good stuff Cookie! What is the purpose of the suction stars? I've never seen anything like that.

Years ago I had a grass fire sweep under my new mobile home and do some damage. The insurance company sent a crew to repair it. They needed to take some windows off. All they had to do was unscrew the easily accessed screws on the outside of the house. I was really upset when I realized how easily someone could get into the house.

I use an expanding shower curtain rod to keep my sliding door toddler safe. It has the big soft pads at each end so my door isn't hurt by them. Shower rods are pretty cheap.

I don't think a sliding glass door or big glass window can be made very safe unless you have the money to replace the glass with bullet resistant plastic AND you replace the little screws anchoring the doors and windows with big ones that go a good way into a wall stud.

Originally Posted By: NYDebbie
I use an expanding shower curtain rod to keep my sliding door toddler safe. It has the big soft pads at each end so my door isn't hurt by them. Shower rods are pretty cheap.

I don't think a sliding glass door or big glass window can be made very safe unless you have the money to replace the glass with bullet resistant plastic AND you replace the little screws anchoring the doors and windows with big ones that go a good way into a wall stud.

True Debbie,
but you can make it at least somewhat resistant. Somewhat harder for the thugs to get in and they may give up and go after easier places. A deterrent is not a bad thing. smile

Trish, I'll bet that was a culture shock! eek

DogMo, it's a very pretty, glorified...
door jam. grin But if it deters, "I'm a likin' it."

Better then nothing?

You can buy a film to go over the glass to make it shatter resistant. It is a good idea if you have children anyhow. Kids have been known to fall and go thru the glass. I put my hand thru a window pane when I was a teen. I was trying to open a stuck window and my hand slipped.

I put a film on all of my windows when I moved here. It's that stuff where people have a hard time seeing in during the day time. It also helps to keep out UV rays. You don't really notice it too much. I 'suppose' it would help keep the glass from shattering as much as if you didn't use it. Not sure about that though. I've had it on for about 17 years.

It's been a long time since I put it on so my memory is rusty but I probably got it at K-Mart or Walmart in the automotive dept.

BTW, Deb, your cat is gorgeous! Beautiful eyes.

Originally Posted By: cookiejar

DogMo, it's a very pretty, glorified...
door jam. grin But if it deters, "I'm a likin' it."

Better then nothing?

Oh, now I get it...had to look at for a while to figure it out... blush

Something I wish we had done when we had our windows replaced was that have the sliding glass door removed and have a "traditional" kitchen door put in. Dh at the time thought it would be to costly. However after having a friend of ours do a security evalation on our home he agrees with me that we should have never had another slider put in. Its on our list of things to "redo" since this is the home we will be living in for a good 10-15 years.

These are great tips you have listed to make the slider more secure.

Originally Posted By: Gibbs
Something I wish we had done when we had our windows replaced was that have the sliding glass door removed and have a "traditional" kitchen door put in. Dh at the time thought it would be to costly. However after having a friend of ours do a security evalation on our home he agrees with me that we should have never had another slider put in. Its on our list of things to "redo" since this is the home we will be living in for a good 10-15 years.

These are great tips you have listed to make the slider more secure.

I'm with you about the slider but we can at least work with it.
Short of Fort Knox, I'm not real sure just how fortress someone can make a place but we can try.

I had one friend take the tiniest bells (actually belly dancer anklet bells) and run them on a string hidden along the top of the door. If the door was even *tried* it gave a tinkling noise she'd trained her mind to listen for. Sounds a bit simple..but it worked for her.

I may invest in the cheaper sliding door alarm and locks specially if my 5 year old niece is staying (The child who is aiais Houdini).

Thanks!

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.