Tomato Paste

I have lots of tomato paste! It's so cheap! I just can't

help myself. grin I grabbed a can the other day and

needed to convert it to sauce. I added water until I got

the right consistency. I added to much water. crazy

I wish I had this the other day. rollingeyes

Tomato Paste; Tomato Puree; Tomato Sauce

PURCHASING

• Tomato paste: A deep red, richly flavored concentrate that’s made of tomatoes that have been cooked for several hours, strained and reduced. It’s available in cans or tubes.

• Tomato puree: A thick, rich mixture made of tomatoes that have been cooked briefly and strained. It’s available in cans.

• Tomato sauce: This is a slightly thinner tomato puree. Some styles are seasoned so that the sauce is ready to add to soups, sauces and other preparations.

EQUIVALENTS

• Tomato paste: 4 1/2-ounce tube = 5 tablespoons

• Tomato puree: 1 cup = 1/2 cup tomato paste plus water to equal 1 cup

• Tomato sauce: 1 cup = 3/8 cup tomato paste plus water to equal 1 cup

USING

• When a recipe calls for tomato paste and all you have is tomato sauce, for each tablespoon of tomato paste, add 1/2 cup tomato sauce and reduce the liquid in the recipe by 1/4 cup.

• The next time you need a small amount of tomato paste, buy it in a tube instead of a can. Because so little of the tubed paste is exposed to the air, it can be tightly sealed and refrigerated for up to 1 year.

• To freeze leftover tomato paste: Line a pie pan with plastic wrap. Place level tablespoons of paste at 1-inch intervals on the plastic wrap. Freeze, uncovered, until solid. Fold over the edges of the plastic wrap to cover the tomato paste, place the contents in a plastic bag and freeze until ready to use. The tablespoons of frozen paste can be dropped right into hot mixtures like soups and sauces.

• Use a dab of tomato paste to enliven flat-flavored soups or sauces.

I never buy FEWER than 12 cans at a time! lol its 12 for 6 bux at superstore. Diced tomatoes are 98 cents a can for the big cans too, so I buy them by the the dozen. laugh When I make chili or pasta sauce i add a can of tomato paste, and a can of diced tomatoes.. I use the liquid from the diced tomatoes instead of tap water to make the sauce. I also add a tablespoon of sugar, it rounds out the flavour better than salt. I rarely put salt in my cooking.

You forgot tomato paste to make tomato juice!! Check out the Hilbilly Housewife website.

CATSUP FROM TOMATO PASTE

I love not having to process a bushel of tomatoes to make this since it’s usually in the dead of winter when I need to.

3 cans tomato paste (6 oz size)

4 c water

1/2 c chopped onions

1/2 c chopped celery

1/2 c white vinegar

1/2 c sugar

1 TB brown sugar

salt to taste

Blend in blender until smooth. Pour into a saucepan, cook in saucepan about 1 1/2 hr until thick and reduced in volume by half. Stores in refrigerator 1 month; freezes well. I usually freeze in small baggies & thaw as needed. 1 TB = 20 calories, 0.4 g fat; (1 mg sodium if you leave out the salt.) Makes about 3 cups. Freeze half, put the rest in the squirty-thingie!

I truly appreciate that catsup recipe, Kappydell. I'm allergic to corn syrup and make my own as a rule. (Yes, nice to make some of this without processing a ton of tomatoes, LOL)

Originally Posted By: kappydell
CATSUP FROM TOMATO PASTE
I love not having to process a bushel of tomatoes to make this since it’s usually in the dead of winter when I need to.
3 cans tomato paste (6 oz size)
4 c water
1/2 c chopped onions
1/2 c chopped celery
1/2 c white vinegar
1/2 c sugar
1 TB brown sugar
salt to taste
Blend in blender until smooth. Pour into a saucepan, cook in saucepan about 1 1/2 hr until thick and reduced in volume by half. Stores in refrigerator 1 month; freezes well. I usually freeze in small baggies & thaw as needed. 1 TB = 20 calories, 0.4 g fat; (1 mg sodium if you leave out the salt.) Makes about 3 cups. Freeze half, put the rest in the squirty-thingie!

Can we can this recipe and how long and which canner?
Michael2

Originally Posted By: Grubby
thanks

Here are the instructions for that.

bighug

THANKS!
making this today as I have to be in the sun (working on a Amish job) all day today and most times I have Tomato Juice but we are out at this time. Works faster then OJ for me when I get that light headed feeling.
Michael2

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.