MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What's For Dinner??? 2

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well there is ground beef thawing in the refrig. So I guess we are going to have hamburger steaks and .....its the and part that is getting. I had thought mac and cheese maybe corn fritters I just don't know at this point.

I made corn tortillas for the first time! Once I realized I needed to make the dough feel and act like playdough, I was fine and it was easy. laughkick

the greatest thing was that 12 torillas took 4 cups of the corn masa harina flour, and I got 25 pounds of the stuff from Bob's red mill for about $16.50! This was a very fun and economical thing to make.

We had chili with it, I used 2 lbs of dried beans and only about 1 lb of hamburg in it - and noone minded the small amount of meat. A lovely inexpensive meal with lots of leftover chili.

Debbie

Originally Posted By: NYDebbie
I made corn tortillas for the first time! Once I realized I needed to make the dough feel and act like playdough, I was fine and it was easy. laughkick

the greatest thing was that 12 torillas took 4 cups of the corn masa harina flour, and I got 25 pounds of the stuff from Bob's red mill for about $16.50! This was a very fun and economical thing to make.

We had chili with it, I used 2 lbs of dried beans and only about 1 lb of hamburg in it - and noone minded the small amount of meat. A lovely inexpensive meal with lots of leftover chili.
Debbie

I think the meat was an added bonus for them as everything needed to live healthy was in the beans, sauce and torillas..
My BIL is supposed to be bringing me a few hundred lbs of corn as i'm to lazy to drive 6 miles to the farm. not really, if he brings it, it's free, if i go down to pick it up, there's usually about six hrs work lined up just to get to the corn bins.

Watched basketball games so we had hot dogs, chips and dip and cut veggies for dipping and sushi. (that's what my crew asked for, LOL)

All right, NYDebbie! I'm so glad it's working for you.

Oh yeah, keep to the subject - Meatloaf, mashed potatoes, beets and peaches. Carrot cake for those who wanted it.

Making Sunday night pizza here...and taking it to the nursing home to share with mom and one of her pals.

(A really, really nasty grouchy lady there used to sit in her room in the dark ALL day and snarl obscentities at workers. I learned she hadn't had a single visitor since she moved in there four years ago. I found out she used to raise prize-winning cats. I adopted a cat that was a stray at the nursing home and bring it in to see my mom, who loved the silly thing and begged me to take it in. Turns out the cat is well known to the residents because it would jump up on their windowsills and cry to be let in. The lady would see it. So now, when I bring the cat in, I go see her and she is always smiling when she pats that cat. She used to just grunt when I would ask how she is but now she smiles at me! She was mad again yesterday and said she wanted pizza with sausage, pepperoni and extra cheese. So I promised her a pizza tonight...and she busted out smiling the hugest smile anyone has seen on her and grabbed my arm and hoarsly whispered, "I finally have a REAL visitor!!" I can't wait to bring in the pizza AND the cat tonight....we're having a party! LOL)

Originally Posted By: JCK88
Watched basketball games so we had hot dogs, chips and dip and cut veggies for dipping and sushi. (that's what my crew asked for, LOL)

Oh yeah, I hear there's been some sort of basketball tournament going on. hehe

We are busy working on the house this weekend, so last night was meat ball subs. Tonight is pizza. Painting and packing is pretty tiring.

Meat course tonight will be nilgi sausage (it is an African antelope a friend got on a South Texas hunt lol), cauliflower with cheese, ramen noodles.

Quote:
...grabbed my arm and hoarsly whispered, "I finally have a REAL visitor!!"

Awwww! Good for you, Sweetie!! What a blessing you are to her! bouquet

"nilgi sausage"?? I suppose as sausage it just tastes like "meat"...?

Last night I just made everyone a hot sandwich and let them get what else they wanted.

Still not sure what I'll make for supper tonight, but I have a huge beef roast (that I got on sale and froze) thawing for tomorrow.

bighug

Turkey sandwiches, pickles, chips and hot chocolate--served up at daughter'r first track meet of the season. Road trip picnic tonight, YEAH!

Last night was a burger casserole, sliced cukes, canned fruit.

Hubby already put his wish in for supper tonight....potato salad, baked beans, he'll grill the dogs. Plan on making oatmeal cookies too, if I don't hide most of them, they are gone in a flash! We happen to have 10 and 13 year old locusts here!

Ya'll are makin' me hungry!!! yumyum

I roasted the beef roast last night, and now I have lots of leftovers. I'm planning on making "Beef Manhattans" tonight (hot beef sandwiches, cut in half, with mashed potatoes between, covered in beef gravy), with some kind of other vegetable.

It looks like I'll end up freezing about half of the roast for later. It was *huge*!

I told little DD I'd teach her how to make "Monkey Bread", so I'll probably have her do that for a "dessert".

feedme

Westie, I can nevr tell if you've stayed up real late or gotten up real early! Time difference, y'know. :tired:

Last night we had home made pizza. DH made sauce from scratch and threw in crumbled up dried tomatoes that I grew and dehydrated last summer. Yummy!

I think today we will have a roast pork loin, long grain & wild rice, and corn.

Sure..

First, you make Shortcut Refried Beans...

3/4 cup dried pinto beans

1/2 tsp salt

1/2 tsp ground cumin

1/2 tsp chili powder

2 1/2 cups water

1/2 cup salsa (and more for topping)

Grind pinto beans until fine using a grinder. I used the steel burrs on my grain mill. Place in a saucepan and whisk in the salt, spices and warm water. Bring to boil over a medium heat, and cook until thick, about 15 minutes.

When the mixtrue has thickened, stir and cook 4 more minutes. Remove from heat and stir in salsa. Serve as a dip or use as burrito filling...

But then, I put it in a jar and chilled it for a few hours. It seemed to be even more stiff so....

I took potato flakes and crumbled them in my hands, added a few tablespoons of gluten free flour (Rice, potato tapioca mix) and formed the stuff into patties and lightly fried them in a cast iron skillet skimmed with a little olive oil.

We did not have salsa on hand so I used one tomato chopped, 1/2 onion, a teaspoon of cider vinegarm a teaspoon of sugar, hot pepper to taste, 1/4 cup chopped sweet red pepper, and some italain spice tossed in to substitute.

We ate the patties topped with this salsa--and hubby and daughter put theirs in hamburger buns. (I did not, as I am a wheat-free kinda gal)

This is the first time I made these patties and it was a whim kinda thing. But we loved them--and we think with the rice flour added, it makes them more of a meat subsitute. Sorry for inexact amounts at the end. I'm an improvisational kind of cook)

oh..and back to topic...tonight I made myself a sausage patty and an egg. I was alone and in a protein mood.

Archived