MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What's For Dinner??? 2

I made some amazing sandwiches. I got some lovely rolls (similar to ciabatta bread). Pesto on one side, olive tapenade on the other. layered fresh mozzarella, grilled onions and grilled eggplant. yum!!

Hubby was thrilled, because he's been wanting to try having a few vegetarian meals a week.

I'm thrilled because I have a leftover sandwich for lunch tomorrow.

:-)

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fresh coleslaw (need a good recipe -- I'm still using stuff from a jar)

Oh remind me! My dh makes the best! We prep it all, but he makes the dressing! Had it last night... oh so good even though I am not supposed to eat it.

tonight -

salad everything but the dressing is from my garden....

cherry tomatoes

grape tomatoes

small pink tomatoes

yellow pear tomatoes

bell pepper

cucumber

zucchini

IM000398.jpg

homemade bread from fresh ground wheat, farm eggs, goats milk..

curry rice... from my stocks

some beef I bought on clearance -

I ended up cooking it in my cast iron on the stove... cut into strips...

added

butter

paprika

curry

garlic

thyme

pretty good and actually tender!

and for dessert homemade chocolate chip cookies from our wheat (except for me... there are still 2 pieces left of black berry pie and some goats milk ice cream in my freezer!)

OH and goats milk.... or cranky lady tea!

Tonight I made beanies and wienies. Also I took our pizza roll ups and cooked them on the grill tonight instead of in the microwave! Wow that smokey flavor was pretty good! Oh yeah if you do this don't for get to line the grill with aluminum foil first!

Quote:
cranky lady tea

goodone Sounds like a story behind THAT one!!!

Quote:
The LSW is on a noon to closer at the Great Wal of China Mart.

bigeyes.gif

spock.gif

Are we talking in code again???

ashamed Always the last to learn the codes...

I'm trying to figure out what to serve for tonight. Last night I used up leftover hamburger, sausage, and threw in some pepperoni in spaghetti. Made a nice hearty sauce, with cheese.

yumyum

That just became the name of my red raspberry, nettle, alfalfa, & spearmint tea... not that either I nor oldest dd are ever cranky of course... no... heaven forbid... snort!

Canning all afternoon... prepping for new rabbits & chicks & puppy... caring for littles...and searching for a lost contract & check...

SO.... I caved! Hot dogs and ranch style beans! And any & all fridge leftovers!

Originally Posted By: Cat

Quote:
The LSW is on a noon to closer at the Great Wal of China Mart.

Are we talking in code again???

ashamed Always the last to learn the codes...

(parts snipped)

I think he meant something like long-suffering woman or lovely, smiling wife, is working a closing shift at walmart, where they sell lots of chinese made stuff.

rofl

i love seeing people write stuff in interesting ways

When talking about what to cook and the price of food, here is what I have done for years.

I grew up in the South and we always had a veg. plate night and it was common to get a veg. plate in a cafe. So on at least one night a week I cook just vegs, like tonight I will have string beans with new potatoes, squash, carrots and a big salad and corn bread or biscuits. I make enough so I have plan overs smile and the next night I just have to grill some chicken and I have my vegs cooked. This makes an easy night.

This works for me:

1 Less meat in diet.

2 Lower fat

3 Lower in cost

4 Helps with weight

5 And you get used to not having or expecting meat that much.

By the way this is how our ancestors ate. They would sell their meat.

We do the very same type of thing. I call it the Country Vegetable Night and often it will include some type of dried beans or mac&cheese ( I have 7 kids ) and I was trying to do this at least once a week. Now, I'm trying to do it twice a week. So we'll get used to eating that way.

Here's what I did for three dinners out of one pack of chicken. I got a very good deal on some split chicken breasts, they were big, and I think there were 5 altogether.

First I stewed them, removed the chicken and saved the broth. Deboned and cut up the meat which had been seasoned while stewing.

Into the bubbling broth I added chopped onions, celery and bellpepper. Then later added drop dumplings and a third of the chopped meat. Popped on the lid, dinner one.

Then I made a chicken pot pie type of casserole. Used a bit of the broth that I had set aside a large can of cream of chicken soup, a bag of frozen mixed vegies and a third of the chicken. Stirred well and then pourd over the top a biscuit mix batter that I made a wee bit thin, on purpose. Baked in the overn until bubbly and brown on the top. Dinner two.

Finally I followed a new recipe (will be a favorite from now on) for a Mexican chicken and rice recipe. In another big casserole I combined cooked rice, cream of chicken, sour cream, green chiles, and the last of the chicken. Topped with cheese, baked and at the last minute topped with cheese flavored tortilla chips. Oh my!!! This was a hit.

I was so proud! To have stretched one pack of meat like that for the nine of us. Of course I had to serve green stuff with each of these, but it made for some easy supper nights too!

• 2 weeks later...

http://mayakaimal.com/tikka.html

this simmer sauce (amazing!) with chicken breast chunks I canned this weekend, rice, frozen samosas (from the local Indian grocery) and some Trader Joe's baignan bharta (Indian eggplant dish).

It's all simmering now. So psyched that I only had to "cook" tonight, instead of really cooking.

Grilled chicken breasts that have been marinating in olive oil, lemon juice, and herbs. Also fresh zucchini and yellow squash, sliced, and tossed into a pan where the hot olive oil and garlic are waiting. This will get mixed with a fresh tomato in a few minutes, and sprinkled with parmesan cheese. Breadsticks are in the oven, and homemade vanilla ice cream for dessert.

That thread of bluegrassmom talking about getting her hubby to eat beans pushed me into making what hubby's been asking for.

Bean soup, nearly-overbaked cornbread, and Hershey's Syrup brownies with fudge frosting... DarleneSwoon

OK, well, HE didn't request the brownies... whistling

happy02

Archived