MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
LaBellaVita

if I can only buy one grain mill - go manual?

this is what I've been thinking about, if I had to choose between the cheaper Wondermill and the more expensive Country Living Grain Mill, to just purchase the CLGM for now, so ultimately I have all of my bases covered, and then when we get more money, like with the lovely package Bush is putting out early this summer, purchase the electric mill...

Sounds like a plan?

Thank you! bighug

(really wanting to get the most bang for our tax return buck and am trying to shop wisely)

I can only buy one grain mill and I got the Lehman's Best Grain mill and really like it. I am going to use it frequently and keep it set up in my kitchen where I can do just that. I'm not going to bother with an electric one because I don't have room for that, too! (and I've read in some of the grain milling books I also got that the electric mills heat up the flour more and it will go rancid faster, but having no experience with that, I really don't know.)

I think your plan sounds just fine!

If you are like me and haven't ever used home-ground flour, you might want to start searching for recipies for whole grain cooking--all grains, not just wheat--and all foods, not just breads!

I love my wonder mill and it does a great job. The flour is slightly warm when it comes out, but I normally use it immediately or within a few days. It will keep fresh longer if I put it in a ziplock in the freezer.

If I were planning to get the CLGM I would just go ahead and buy it first. Then when you have funds, get an electric motor to go on it.

I bought the Family Grain Mill (manual version) Family Garin Mill with hand crank for about $100 a couple of years ago- and it works great- just takes extra time and work to be used regularly. Last year I also abought a Kitchen Mill and I LOVE it. I make bread much more often it is so quick and easy to use on a regular basis...still I am glad I have the manual just incase...

Wished I already had my CLGM yesterday... as our power was out 3 hrs and we needed to grind...

I agree get the manual first...

IF you decide to get a separate electric later... check out the nutrimill... I have a Whispermill (same as Wonder), but would do the nutrimill if I was buying electric now

Whatever you decide to purchase in the way of a hand-crank mill, it's a good idea to buy an extra (hand-crank) and put it away, in case your first one breaks in some way. When I went to Lehman's last year, there were some slightly used ones in their clearance loft and I should of purchased one just for the parts. I am kicking myself for not.

Also, this may sound primative, but get a mortar and pestle too. You never know.....just keep your bases covered.

Cootie

I got a hand crank one to start with and have used it enough to feel comfortable with grinding my wheat and baking bread. We only use about a loaf a week at our house so I never have to grind a lot at a time. I might consider an electric one later if I have extra money to spare (fat chance!) but know the one I have now will work for us.

I bought a country living grain mill and then hooked it up to a motor a few months afterward. It was pretty easy to rig up.

can the Lehman's Best Grain Mill grind fine flour, enough for, say, cookies? Cakes? We might need a little comfort food when we won't have any money to go anywhere because gas is $10 a gallon rollingeyes

Many years ago DH and I purchased the same Family Grain Mill as Evergreen listed. We got the motorized version and all the attachments except the wheat grass juice thingie. [One To-Do this week is to pull out the meat grinder and grain flaker attachments and try them.... blush ...and where did I put the manual? ] We've been very pleased with it cuz the veggie processor is handy too. It grinds fine or coarse.

As soon as it warms up (cuz I also will order waterglass to preserve eggs and that can't be frozen in transit...ask me how I know rollingeyes ), I will be placing an order with Lehman's to get the hand-crank piece. I've heard that it grinds surprisingly easy. Makes me nervous not to have it yet. But I do also have a Basic whatsit grinder...knowing it does not do a very good job but better than two rocks. lol

From all I hear, the Country Living Grain mill seems to be a step up from the Family Grain Mill. It would seem that if you can afford it, go for it. Consider electrifying that one as Keiko suggested. That big wheel is grooved for a belt. Then you can use the other money for WHEAT! star

MtRider [waiting for spring lois ]

I also just purchased Lehman's Best mill, it doesn't matter to me about electrifying it...manual is better in my book. I seek out manual options for everything I can. A little elbow grease is good exercise. Good idea on purchasing an extra handle, think I will check on a 'scratch and dent' version for parts, good idea Cootie!! (On a side-bar, did you know that Water-Wise has scratch & dent distillers for sale? I saved $100 on mine that way, I don't care 'bout looks, just performance!)

Yes, I believe the Lehmans will grind flour fine enough for cookies and cakes. I think you need the softer wheat and you would use the stones. (Mind you, I have not tried this yet, but that's what I gather from all the stuff I've been reading)I have ground very nice barley flour by grinding it, then sifting it, then taking the coarser part and re-grinding it. You probably could do this with wheat, too.

Oh..and cootie is right about having a mortar and pestle too. Just in case. Besides they are great for grinding small amounts of herbs and such.

I just bought a CLGM & some wheat, but haven't used either yet.

I bought HARD WHITE wheat for yeast things (like bread & cinnamon rolls). You can also buy HARD RED, but it's darker and more "wheaty."

I bought SOFT WHITE wheat for non-yeast things (like cookies and zucchini muffins).