MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Evergreen

(KI) Potassium Iodide

What can you tell me about (KI) Potassium Iodide? How much do I need to keep on hand, best place to purchase, ect...

TIA help

I have some stored. I found a good deal on it at one time. You do need to figure out how likely you feel a nuclear blast is.

Here's a couple links to the information that I used when looking into it.

wikipedia

CDC

KI4U dot com

I ended up getting 4 bottles that each contained 200 adult doses. This needs mixed up in water and dispensed in 1 tsp doses. My thinking was that I can have 1 in each car and 1 in the home and 1 spare. This would cover us no matter what.

What I'd have done now is buy the blister packs that have daily doses in pill form. It's significantly more expensive than what I got, but much easier to dispense.

I just purchased some. I got the KI from Emergency Essentials. I only have one packet currently. I consider it insurance as being where I live we would probably not be affected. I am waiting for the next batch to come out and then I will order another pack or two. You only have to take it until the threat of fallout is gone. That is usually a couple days. There isn't going to be a Chernobyl anywhere near us, so there is no radiation threat that would be for the long term. One packet is probably enough for my family and pets, however we have other family here in town so I will buy a couple more to keep on hand for them. The one I have now is good until 2014.

Thanks for the info! thanks I went to a seminar recently and the instructor mentioned everyone should have some of this on hand....

I am hunting for the source of this info that I have - one can apply tincture of iodine or povidone iodine (Betadine) to the skin for similar protection. Never take the stuff orally but only apply to the skin. I'll keep looking but here's the gist of it: When fallout is anticipated:

"For adults, paint 8 ml 2% tincture of iodine on the abdomen or forearm each day, ideally at least 2 hours prior to possible exposure. For children 3-18, but under 150#, only half that painted on daily, or 4 ml. For children under 3 but older than 1 month, half again, or 2 ml. For newborns to 1 month, just 1 ml. 1 measuring teaspoon is about 5 ml if you don't have a dropper graduated in ml. If your iodine is stronger than 2% , reduce the dosage accordingly. This isn't as reliable as tablets but apparently is still effective. Never take this orally and never use if iodine allergy exists." Again, I can't find my source - I have the povidone iodine - figure we can use it for its intended purpose if we don't need it for fallout.

I ordered 4 new packs from Emergency Essentials and I have 10 outdated packs (still sealed). They expired just recently. So I'm keeping them ... just in case. I'm a packrat!!!!!

With liquid iodine now being used in the manufacture of crystal meth, I would assume it is now difficult to get ahold of the crystals to make your own. You can still legally purchase Lugols, one bottle at a time.

The govt. says a 14 day supply is "adequate". Several sites say a 90 day supply per person would be much better/safer.

Short version:

The sites explained that the radiation gets in the wind, then settles to the ground. Future winds pick up the radioactive dirt/dust and spread it around some more - not quite as bad as the original fall out, but bad enough. The sites indicated that MOST areas that would be affected by fallout, the radiation SHOULD have fallen to "safe" levels in 90 days.

Decided to attach this post to this thread since it was mentioned once in here.

DH was looking on the internet over the weekend and says all Potassium Iodide pills were sold out on the internet by Saturday. More is coming, but that will probably go fast, too.

He says he found a site that said you can paint Iodine solutions like Betadine on part of your body over roughly the same time as you'd take the pills, and might absorb enough Iodine to protect you. NEVER DRINK IT... only use it topically. It's poison if used internally.

Here's one I found (roughly 3/4 of the way down the page)...

Topical Iodine Applications

There has been some interesting research, though, with both humans and dogs into topically (on the skin) applied Povidone-Iodine (10%) solution (such as Betadine or Povidex solutions), and also with tincture of iodine, to test the absorption rates of iodine directly through the skin. But, it was found not to be as quick in providing thyroid blocking as oral Potassium Iodide (KI) or KIO3, nor as consistent, and then, often, at lower levels of protection. Questions remain of skin irritation, determining the amount of Iodine solution to apply, where best to apply it, how long to apply it, and the effects of temperature and humidity on absorption through the skin. Also, insufficient testing has been done on specific groups, such as infants, children, and pregnant and nursing women to know how effective it would be and the full range of complications that could be expected with repeated applications. For instance, the skin absorption of iodine products in neonates with inhibition of thyroid function has been documented in the past. The use of Povidone-Iodine is the most frequent cause of this type of intoxication. Another study showed that Povidone-Iodine did not significantly influence neonatal thyroid function if they were used to a full term neonate only once and even to a wide skin surface.

Another source, non-medical, claims that by using the stronger 7% tincture iodine and just dipping the index finger of the person being treated up to the first knuckle (just above the fingernail) would provide the proper dosing. They claim this would work for all people as our fingers are roughly proportionate to our size and weight. That may be true, but that this technique would actually provide sufficient quantity and effective absorption of iodine for thyroid-blocking has not been verified. (Additional documentation and source references have been requested of that author. And, will be promptly posted here if provided.)

Clearly more research is needed before embracing the topically applied techniques as a one-size-fits-all solution, as its limitations must first be more fully understood. However...

According to research by Health Physicist Ken Miller, Hershey Medical Center, using 24 healthy adult male subjects, an adult could get a blocking dose of stable iodine by painting 8 ml of a 2 percent tincture of Iodine on the abdomen or forearm approximately 2 hours prior to I-131 contamination. The abstract of his study titled "Effectiveness of Skin Absorption of Tincture of I in Blocking Radioiodine from the Human Thyroid Gland" from Health Physics, June 1989, Vol. 56, No. 6, pages 911-914, (To read abstract, search the title of the article here) states:

"Although there were large variations within each subject group in regard to serum-I levels and thyroid uptakes, the increase in serum-I concentration after topical-I application was effective in reducing the thyroid uptake of I131. The authors conclude that in the absence of KI, most humans would benefit from topical application of tincture of-I, and that in some the effectiveness would equal that of oral KI."

Hmmm... interesting Plan "B"(Betadine) possibilities here, if in a pinch!

http://www.ki4u.com/#6

When fallout is first anticipated, even though it has not yet arrived, have anybody still outside begin wearing their dust protector filter masks and hooded rain ponchos. Everyone should begin taking their Potassium Iodide (KI) or Potassium Iodate (KIO3) tablets for thyroid protection against cancer causing radioactive iodine, a major product of nuclear weapons explosions. If no tablets available, you can topically (on the skin) apply an iodine solution, like tincture of iodine or Betadine, for a similar protective effect. (WARNING: Iodine solutions are NEVER to be ingested or swallowed.) For adults, paint 8 ml of a 2 percent tincture of Iodine on the abdomen or forearm each day, ideally at least 2 hours prior to possible exposure. For children 3 to 18, but under 150 pounds, only half that amount painted on daily, or 4 ml. For children under 3 but older than a month, half again, or 2 ml. For newborns to 1 month old, half it again, or just 1 ml. (One measuring teaspoon is about 5 ml, if you don't have a medicine dropper graduated in ml.) If your iodine is stronger than 2%, reduce the dosage accordingly. Absorption through the skin is not as reliable a dosing method as using the tablets, but tests show that it will still be very effective for most. Do not use if allergic to iodine. If at all possible, inquire of your doctor NOW if there is any reason why anybody in your household should not use KI or KIO3 tablets, or iodine solutions on their skin, in a future nuclear emergency, just to be sure.

(About 3/4 down)

http://www.nukalert.se/reports.htm

:shrug:

Something to keep in mind.

OK not t be a naysayer but-

I heard that it you take the pills they may take 3 to 5 days for it to 'start' to work in body?

and by that time you have had the worsed of the fallout come you way.

and what about long term storage I have heard that they don't last long even if you don't open package?

So what are we to do..................................

:AmishMichael2:

This worries me because I've read so much conflicting information. I don't live in the West, so it's not quite so urgent for me, but still, a topic worth considering.

From what I've read, by the time it gets here, if it does, it will be so diluted that it won't pose a threat. I've also read that taking it when you aren't immediately threatened can cause harmful, unintended side effects. I have hypothyroidism so I don't think I could mess with it either way. On the other hand, who wants cancer? I just think that it should only be taken after discussing with a doctor you know personally and trust...

I think at this point people should proceed with some caution. Everyone has to decide for themselves, though.

Maybe not the popular opinion, but just my .02

mistylady - your recently expired tablets are just fine.

I live in Central California and yes, I have KI tablets in my preps. I also ordered several boxes for my family that lives in the Northern part of the state. They just received them today. In the meantime, I had them go out and buy the 2%iodine tincture. So, now they are covered. I think the probability of dangerous levels of radiation reaching the West Coast of the US is pretty low, but the possiblity does still exist and I feel much better knowing that my neices and nephews will be protected if the need should arise.

There is information, much of it faulty, flying around the internet concerning KI. I would really suggest visiting the website: www.ki4u for all the information you will ever need. Print it out and follow it. It is very good and the owner of the company provides it as a community service. If you can't get the KI tabs, he gives you the instructions for painting the tincture on your skin, including amounts and safe areas.

In the meantime, even though I think it is too early to take the tablets (you can check radiation amounts at these websites: http://www.radiationnetwork.com/ and http://www.blackcatsystems.com/RadMap/map.html ) there are lots of foods that naturally contain iodine and couldn't hurt to eat a few more of them! The list includes:

Iodine

by Djehuty Ma'at-Ra

button_3.gif

spacer.gif

Iodine is a very important mineral that was first discovered in kelp (seaweed) in 1812. It was extracted and named "iodine" because of its violet color, "ion" being Greek for violet.

iodine1.gif Iodine is a naturally occurring substance, occurring naturally and is a crucial part of the thyroid hormones that monitor our energy levels. Iodine actually nourishes the thyroid gland. It is food for this gland.

Iodine, though essential, is only needed in trace amounts.

Organic Iodine (Iodine Phosphate) is beneficial for the following: normalizing and regulating metabolism, relieving pain of fibrocystic breasts, protecting against toxic effects from radioactive materials, acting as a natural antiseptic; helps to metabolize excess fat, is important for physical and mental development, and optimal health and well-being of the thyroid gland.

Iodine deficiency symptoms include goiter, hypothyroidism (which causes chronic fatigue, apathy, dry skin, intolerance to cold, weight gain, and thyroid enlargement); weight fluctuations (especially weight gain), and swollen salivary glands to name a few symptoms.

In addition to the above, Iodine deficiency has been linked to breast cancer in women.

In children, Iodine deficiency may result in mental retardation.

In pregnant women, Iodine deficiency could result in the child being born affected by dwarfism (or cretinism) also known as neonatal hypothyroidism. It is imperative that pregnant women take adequate amounts of organic Iodine, e.g. 3 capsules once or twice daily.

It is reported that one out of fifty pregnant women is diagnosed with hypothyroidism during pregnancy. Also, six out of every one hundred miscarriages are associated with thyroid hormone deficiency during pregnancy.

While Iodine is found in seaweed, a natural source of the mineral, most table salt (e.g. Morton's) is fortified with synthetic Iodine. Just like white table salt, synthetic Iodine is an inorganic substance and therefore cannot be digested, absorbed, and assimilated by the body. Because white table salt is a major toxin and highly poisonous, so is the Iodine used in white table salt. When in the body, the body will try and digest, absorb, and assimilate this mineral; however, creating serious health problems in the process due to attempting to process something unnatural. This can be prevented by making sure the body is given what it is needed to ensure optimal health and well-being: organic nutrition.

Synthetic Iodine should be avoided at all costs. High does of inorganic Iodine may aggravate acne and interfere with hormone activity. Many pharmaceutical grade brands of Iodine contain radioactive tracers that go to the thyroid gland and kill the organ, which is senseless. Why would you kill a gland or organ because it is diseased? Why would you purposefully cause radiation poisoning?

Western medical pharmacists know these drugs with radioactive tracers are harmful (emit radiation and cause radiation poisoning) which is why they also prescribe Potassium Iodide to offset the effect of the radioactive tracers in certain thyroid drugs.

It is reported that 20 million Americans suffer with Thyroid Disease. However, most of these 20 million individuals don't know they have the disease.

Hypothyroidism adversely affects some 11 million Americans according to statistics. It is reported that 1 out of 5 women over the age 75 have Hashimoto's thyroiditis, the most common form of hypothyroidism, which is basically "inflammation of the thyroid gland."

Many people with thyroid disorders have been prescribed synthetic and toxic Synthroid and are unwisely taking this toxic substance.

Synthroid is a poison and cannot help the thyroid gland. The thyroid gland is not made up of Synthroid, a man-made drug. The thyroid gland is chiefly comprised of Iodine and thus requires this element to repair it when damaged via disease.

iodine2.gif Natural food sources of Iodine include: garlic, asparagus, lima beans, mushrooms, sesame seeds, spinach, turnip greens, Swiss chard, summer squash, and soybeans to name a few.

Herbs containing Iodine include: Irish Moss, Iceland Moss, Blue-Green Algae, Bladderwrack (Sea Wrack), Dulse, Kelp, Red Marine Algae, Chlorella, Spirulina; White Oat Bark, Red Raspberry Leaf, and Black Walnut Hulls.

Seaweed sources of Iodine (which are the best and richest source) are great natural galactagogues, meaning they are helpful in increasing and enhancing the production and secretion of mother's (breast) milk.

Dherbs.com products and compounds that contain natural Iodine (organic Iodine, Iodine Phosphate) include: Thyroid Formula, Iodine Phosphate, and Electric Greens cell Food Formula.

Dherbs.com also offers a children's Iodine Extract that is a liquid form of Iodine Phosphate that is safe for babies, toddlers, and small children to take in addition to teenagers, young adults and adults, and elderly people.

Dherbs.com Iodine Phosphate Formula and Thyroid Formula puts pharmaceutical grade Synthroid medication to shame, actually healing adverse thyroid conditions, unlike Synthroid.

Please reference a few customer testimonials about our Iodine Phosphate formula.

"I've had a goiter for YEARS; using Synthroid the doctor prescribed did not help! It felt like I had something in my throat. After using Iodine Phosphate for almost a month, really did it for me. I feel great, the goiter is gone and the feeling of something in my throat is gone. THANKS DHERBS!" Vernieta H.

"This is a wonderful product. I have a goiter on my thyroid gland. The doctor suggested I take Synthroid for 3 months to reduce. I started taking this product [iodine Phosphate] along with the Thyroid Formula. I can truly feel the healing in my thyroid gland. It is amazing. I recommend this product with the thyroid formula for anyone that has any thyroid issues."Thanks "Dherbs"!! Panella P.

"I was told many years ago I would have to take Synthroid the rest of my life by the medical establishment. I just knew there had to be something better because I wasn't getting any better after 12 yrs. Then I heard about Dherbs.com and decided to give their Thyroid Formula a try. It really has made the difference. No longer am I taking Synthroid and my overall health has greatly improved. I have energy now, my hair has stopped shedding and my nails are strong and growing. I can't wait to try the Full Body Detox. Thank You!!" STEPHANIE J.

"I've been taking Thyroid Formula for over 21dys and I feel so much better. After taking Synthroid for over 12 yrs, I thought I'd give DHERBS a try. I'm glad I did. Thanks DHERBS." Vernieta H.

"This product Thyroid Formula is amazing when taken either before my morning workout or before a light meal. I have so much energy while taking this. I'm almost out, have to keep 2 of these on hand :). Thank you so much, great compliment to my raw vegan lifesstyle!" Aisha C.

"This formula [Thyroid Formula] is great! I have tried all the synthetics that the doctors tried to force me to take "for my health" and I ended up in the emergency room. I am grateful for this healthy alternative. I have lost weight and I have so much more energy. I feel calm and peaceful as well. No jittery side effects like the pharmaceuticals. I suggest the full body cleanse {Full Body Detox} as well. Great Products and Service." Deborah R.M.

So as you should be able to see from the testimonials above, there are safe, sane, economical, and effective natural alternatives to harmful Synthroid and other thyroid medications and you can purchase them from Dherbs.com.

Thank you for reading!

This article is compliments of Dherbs.com and Djehuty Ma'at-Ra. Additional articles by Djehuty Ma'at-Ra available @ HYPERLINK "http://www.dherbs.com/articles/" www.dherbs.com/articles

Read more: http://www.dherbs.com/articles/iodine-471.html#ixzz1GnHCB4R5

http://www.dherbs.com/articles/iodine-471.html

OK not t be a naysayer but-

I heard that it you take the pills they may take 3 to 5 days for it to 'start' to work in body?

and by that time you have had the worsed of the fallout come you way.

and what about long term storage I have heard that they don't last long even if you don't open package?

So what are we to do..................................

:AmishMichael2:

Yes, this is true, this is why my father (doctor) reccomended taking theraputic doses now. You cans see the full post in my WEst COast Warning post. It won't be diluted because they used a different type of fuel called MOX that has Plutonium in it, which the half life is 250,000 years..........

Edited by FunkyPioneer