MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Making soap

Hi,

I do have a few soap batches under my belt and this is the site I poured over for days before I did anything www.millersoap.com and the soap calculate I use is http://www.soapcalc.net/calc/soapcalcWP.asp

The sage is another great site for soap calculator as mentioned above.

For some reason, this link and others like it do not work for me. It must be me cause I haven't found the reason why. http://www.mrssurvival.com/forums/ubbthr...ge=1#Post235141

I use primarily essential oils, but have a large inventory of fragrance oils as my blending of eo's is still weak.

Have fun!! :D

Edited by Lavenderflowers
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Lavenderflowers, welcome to the house of fun.

What are your favorite oils to use?

Ladies, in Germany I found schmaltz in the supermarkets. Not sure from which animal it is but pig is a fair guess.

Could this be used instead of lard to make soap? Lard is so incredibly hard to come by here.

What is lye?

In Hugh McManners book ' Outdoor Survival Guide' he says you can use Horse Chestnut leaves in water as a soap, and also Strawberries for cleaning teeth.

Purdy, it's caustic soda. What we'd use to unblock a kitchensink that is clogged up wiht fat etc.

Not that it is a good idea to use it for that cos it could form a large fat-ball further down the drains...

Lavenderflowers, the links with ubb in them haven't been fixed yet. They got messed up in the site move. You aren't doing anything wrong.

Does lye work to get hair out of the drains?

DON'T DO IT!!!!!

PLEASE, don't pour lye down your drains!

We're paying the plumber between $1,500 and $2,600 to replace pipes eaten away because someone poured something similar down them.