MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mt_Rider

Does something dangerous exist...

Does something dangerous exist at your home or work? eek

OK...so the title is maybe a bit dramatic.... a bit...

I fell again this morning. Hard. Tho I did a tuck and roll to save breaking my neck, it still knocked my nervous system whacko. So there I lay on the (fortunately) frozen mud and ....well, you know..it was the barnyard...and I was 2' downwind of a fresh pile - Whewwwee! While waiting for the nervous system to "reboot" so I could get up, I noticed that I had SOMEhow forgotten to even bring the phone with me. ACK, that never happens. DH had just left for the office and wouldn't be back for 9 hours.

The worst of this story and the point of the thread is --- I fell in the SAME MANNER that causes 90% of all my falls. Tripping as I step between the smooth wire fencing for the horses. About 4-6 times every morning and every evening I step between those wires somewhere. It's the MS that makes this periodically dangerous...not knowing where my trailing foot is and ....well it FEELS like the wire reaches out and grabs my foot. I've got all this forward momentum and then YANK! fly

IF we are trying to get prepared at all levels....this is another important one that may or may not cost money. Everytime the fence grabs me [that's my story and I'm sticking with it!] , I grumble about putting in a stile [a human-size pass thru in fencing that won't allow livestock to fit thru.***] so that I can slide in and out of the pasture areas without stepping thru the wires. I don't need a full gate and an easy style could be made with materials we have around here. It's a matter of putting it up the priority list BEFORE I actually break my neck!

Obviously, none of us needs to risk a hazzard in life right now. But in the case of :shtf: any injuries/recuperation-down-time/disabilities would be terrible. Especially if it was caused by something Pa (or Ma) Kettle just didn't get around to "one of these days". That line is a standing joke around here. But as I lay there this morning....down wind of some literal :shtf: .....wellllllll, it just seems like another area to get in order.

What in your homes are you aware of already that could be a definte hazzard that really needs to be changed/fixed? Anyone with me for making a goal? I do have to wait for summer (frozen ground yet) to do this but dang*it....it's gotta happen.

sheep

MtRider [don't you just love reading about all the dumb things I do.... busted ]

***link to an article about "stiles" ...in case anyone else has my problem!

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Modern-Home...ish-Stiles.aspx

Originally Posted By: Mt_Rider

sheep <-------if you watch that sheep...it trips every 26ths time it jumps!

Ok, I'm a dork. Did you just put this here to stare at and count jumps? Cause I did for a long time...didn't see no trips. laugh

Me neither. frown (Glad I wasn't the only one!)

An easy time to take care of these sorts of things is when you're first setting something up. We've been building a chicken 'tractor' and are scrutinizing it from every angle to reduce work load and increase safety (of the humans and the hens. At one point, my dh used a screw that was about 1/8" too long. I made him stop right there and file off that point. Otherwise, I figure I'll scratch myself on it twice a week for a couple of years before we ever get it taken care of.

We don't have so many things that could hurt us; afterall we had two babies in this house. But we do have safety issues in terms of doors and windows that are easy to break into, and no fence on the back. I deal regularly with neighbors' dogs in my back yard. I talked about that in chat one day, and Jewlzm made the very valid point that "If you don't feel safe in your own backyard, the fence should be a priority." She's right. I might run out for a few minutes unarmed, but if we're going out to work or play in the yard/garden for a while, I'll always make sure to CCW...mostly because of dogs. I'm seriously thinking of financing a fence (probably credit card), but hate to do so.

Other than that, we only have a few branches that ought to be picked up (although, I'm going to save those for fire-building practice grin ).

Well I was going to count but decided to scroll and see if anyone else did first. grin

I know of one thing right off the top of my head. I threw together a compost pile last year with heavy gauge chicken wire and I didn't crimp or cover the edges. Every time I open it to turn the pile I have stuck myself on the edges. Yesterday when using the compost I stabbed myself on my knuckle and it still hurts. Not a huge deal now, but, in shtf situation you don't want to get cuts that might get infected..

Like you others, except dogmom4 who must be smarter than the rest of us, I counted 3 different times waiting. Duh, why do I ALWAYS fall for these things.....except one would think you could trust Mt. Rider.. rofl

There are lots of things around here that should/could be fixed but it's usually the things that are unseen and unknown that get me. One summer I went down on my knees in the garden and there was a big piece of metal sticking up that got me in the knee. Oh man, that hurt for days but fortunately didn't break or puncture anything.

DH's family lived here over 100 years ago and I wonder, when I land on it who lost it and why it was me that had to find it! bangwall

The most dangerous thing around here is ... me. Sjogren's Syndrome sometimes has with it days of terrible fatigue. On those day, I do dumb things like forget to shut the stove off and leave a burner running, or forget to shut the wood stove damper and have the fire roaring a bit too much. In a SHTF situation, people will be fatigued like this and they need to double check themselves, to be certain they are acting safely.

Mt Rider as usual raises an important issue here. We should check our homes and yards for things we trip over, holes we fall into, and jerry-rigged things we might cut ourselves on. The last fall I had was at the woodpile, walking carefully but the ice was wet and I didn't realize how slick it was or I would have worn the ice crimp things.

JCK88, I can relate to what you mean about the most dangerous thing being me. I have a seizure disorder and during bad seizures I sometimes stop breathing and have to be manually stimulated to start again. After the seizure is over and I'm postictal I have tried to go outside in nothing but socks (had wet my pajamas) in Jan. when it was about 15 degrees out, I've tried to get out of a moving vehicle and several other things that could be dangerous or fatal to myself.

Fortunately DH is a light sleeper and sensitive to my movements and breathing. Our main "plan" is just making sure I'm never alone at night (when my worst are) that I don't drive and always make sure anyone I'm around (friends/family) knows what could happen and what to do. Also take my meds. regularly and eat/sleep properly as that helps.

Quote:
Duh, why do I ALWAYS fall for these things.....except one would think you could trust Mt. Rider.. rofl

laughkick

Sorry.... busted I have to admit I get these...er, inspirations now and then.....

MtRider [good thing I didn't say it was on the 95th jump or I'd be in sooooo much trouble! darlene2 ]

MtRider, I'm glad your fall didn't result in anything broken, other than breaking you out of a complacent rut, and getting you (and the rest of us) to thinking...

...on the other hand, however...

Originally Posted By: Mt_Rider

sheep <-------if you watch that sheep...it trips every 26ths time it jumps!

I cannot believe I stared at that danged sheep, while trying hard not to blink too slowly, in case I missed a skip...

MrRider, methinks your 'puter just has a case of the hiccups, 'cause there isn't a thing wrong with the jumping sheep...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...I...am...getting...sleepier...and sleepier...zzzzzzz...8...9...dang, now I got to count all over again...1...2...3...4...5...6...zzzzzzz....dangit...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...

8...9...10...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30

Yep my sheep is fine...either your computer has a case of the hiccups, or your sheep is just sympathizing with you 'cause you fell down.

Lookit how many peeps you got to count how many jumps a sheep made on an internet survival board! Shameless!!!!

MTR, get the stile put in ASAP. Please. I don't want to come here one day and find you'd broken a leg or worse!

My biggest obstacles are those kiddie caltrops that get moved around daily & left out after bedtime! I've since learned the barefoot shuffle-walk to at least kick them out of the way before nailing the sole of my foot!

"kiddie caltrops" >/laughkick.gif" alt="laughkick" title="laughkick" height="30" width="45" /> What an appropriate name! At least you've adapted to a safer solution. LOL

Yes'm, gonna get right on those stiles "one of these here days" ---when the ground thaws! Today, I've been trying to watch the foot pass over the wire by lifting the trailing foot ahead of me instead of behind. That'll have to do for now.

Another great thing about a stile....you can't forget to shut it!

MtRider [ No more ----> fly ]

Another thing about styles.......

GOATS can get out of them!!!!!! Ask me how I know that???

bighug

Hi everyone, haven't been here in a while, but trying to read and get caught up. This thread caught my eye and got me to thinking....a dangerous state of affairs most of the time.

Here's my "stumbling block" so to speak....shoes!!!! There are 9 of us and shoes are everywhere!! I put a basket on the front porch as a collecting place for the dirty shoes that I won't let them wear in the house..but everyone seems to come in the back deck, where the shoes are kicked off at random...until they get rained on, or chunked in the garage to not be rained on...they are piles of "trips waiting to happen".

And then the garage...we've got to get a handle on it, organized and safely so....hammers and nails and stuff everywhere.

Good thread....and yes, I stupidly counted the sheep...but only once until I checked to see what others had said...I'm a sucker!

Stephanie

A very dear friend of mine is a widow. I think it was about 2 (maybe 3) winters ago. She was out getting firewood and she slipped and fell. She fell wrong, and she was badly hurt. She did not have her cell phone on her. She was lying in the frigid cold and had a lot of trouble moving. Finally, she was able to crawl back to the house and call for help. Had she not been able to crawl, she'd have frozen to death.

Another acquaintance of mine was doing some work on the tractor. He was on a hillside. He came to a stop, thinking he was within the range of safe from tipping. He unbuckled his seatbelt to get off and do something with his equipment. Before he could dismount, the tractor started to roll. He ended up way down at the bottom of the hill, pinned under the brush hog. He was severely injured and bleeding very badly. Had he not had his cell phone in his pocket (and fortunately a decent signal), he'd have died.

Some years back, a local farmer was gored to death by a new to him bull. He was a long-time dairy farmer, he'd had many, many a new bull. But somehow this one got him. It was thought that if the farmer had had his cell phone on him he'd not have bled to death before help could arrive. As it was, he laid there until his family came looking, and he was very much dead by then.

Cell phones can be a lifesaver when the SHTF on a personal level. Though cell phones likely will not work in a major SHTF situation, for something less than a meltdown of society they can be the difference between life and death.

Y'know Cowgirl...I was thinking tonight about cell phones. I called dh as I left work, but hung up once I was getting on the freeway. Because it was dark and I couldn't see my purse well, I tucked the phone under my thigh. I kept thinking that if I got in a wreck on the car rolled, I might still have my under-the-thigh phone, whereas my purse might be who-knows-where. I might make a habit of this...or maybe putting my phone in a jeans pocket or zipped coat pocket...just in case.

When driving alone, my purse is on the passenger seat, and I secure it with the seat belt. Would probalby dump in a rollover, but stay put in the event of a sudden stop or crash.

I've had to break suddenly for critters, and had my purse go flying, hence the seatbelt!

There is a device you can get that you keep on your person. If you fall or need help you push the button and it uses your land line to automatically call a preset number. The number can be any one you choose. It would be good for someone who is in their home or close by, not sure of the range.

I'm a huge clutz. Grace is NOT my middle name! Yesterday morning I went out to turn the goats out and stepped on a gate that had fallen down. Its a huge wooden gate that I need to pick up. The gate was covered in ice. It rained during the night and then it was 28 degrees when I woke up. So there I lay. On my back looking up. As I fumbled back to my feet I felt my pants hang on something. Oh nuts .... nail. Sure enough I landed on a nail. It went in the crack of my fanny (not trying to be gross) and missed both cheeks! Didn't hit skin! Lucky I have some thickness to the hindquarters! Ripped my jeans and undies. But thats better than skin! The gate has 4X4 edges/center and I hit one side with my elbow and messed it up (huge lump and lost skin). This is the only morning I have gone outside without putting on my holster and pistol. Had I been wearing it I would have hit the gun and holster on the center 4X4 post of the gate. The gun wouldn't have gone off but it could have damaged it. I just had the feeling not to carry the pistol out there. Listen to those inner feelings!

And what is rather annoying ... I fell about 20 feet from the backporch which is where our bedroom is. I screeched when I fell. And hubby didn't hear me. He was laying in bed.

My dh is disabled with his back and not too steady on his feet. I've asked repeatedly that he wear his cell phone when he goes out to the yard or garden so he can call for help if he gets down. Sometimes he gets down to do something and then can't get back up and sometimes he falls.

We've made a rule that no one goes down the basement stairs without holding onto the handrail. I'm steady on my feet and no disabilities but you can't be too careful. I also double check that I've turned off the oven and all burners because I've occasionally forgotten one.

I have for years and years done a last minute walk thru the house before going to bed and putting things away or at least moving tripping hazards. Its also nice not to have dirty glasses or cups throughout the house in the morning. Its much easier these days with just the two of us. I don't want to kill myself in the middle of the night trying to get to a window that needs closed.

A funny -- years ago when we lived in the city we heard a noise in the middle of the night. Dh got up to check and stepped on the back of a Tonka dump truck ds had left out which of course flew up and cracked him on the shin then rolled away dumping him. Being young he bounced. These days we don't bounce we crash so try to be careful.

For Christmas dh bought me "chains" to wear on my shoes or boots when its icy. The parking lot and sidewalk where I work are terrible with ice most of the winter and I'm sure the chains have saved me some bad falls. They are definitely worth the money.

Which 'chains' did you get, anna? I was thinking of doing a thread on those... I used Yaxtrax and tho they did the job, they were broken within 2 months of heavy use...meaning they didn't even make it thru our winter. frown

But they DID keep me from falling all winter....except that one time they managed to hook together as I was taking a step..... [think: tying someone's shoelaces togther..]

MtRider [trying hard not to fall anymore...yeah, right!]

I know what you mean about picking up and being careful Anna. I always do a quick sweep of trip hazards ( besides the dogs LOL) before bed. And also about falling. The first of Feb. I was goign down our front steps, nothing in my hands, wearing my hiking boots and hit one little slick spot and fell. Hit my forearm right on the edge of the metal step. Thought for sure it was broken. Fortunately it wasn't but it was severely bruised and put me out of comission for a few days. You can't ever be too careful.

Tripping hazards! Woo boy do we have to be careful around here. The dogs **usually** get out of the way, but there's the dog toys. They like the REALLY big cow bones, the ones that weigh 5 - 8 pounds. Those are definitely toe stumpers! So we have to go on a sweep to get the dog bones back into their basket before we go to bed. I need to train the dogs to put away their own toys!!!!!!!

My first exposure to crampons was back when I did a little bit of mountaineering (got my butt whipped by a mountain and decided I really prefer backpacking around the lower elevations and photographing those incredible snowy peaks and glaciers). I have a pair of snowshoes for wearing around here when the snow is deep, and they have built-in crampons for ice. I really like those crampons, and I'd like to get some strap on walking crampons for when it is just icy. Good ones that would stand up to wear aren't cheap! I've looked at the cheap town versions, and I think I'm too rough on footwear for those to last me long.

A GOOD pair of walking crampons will be all steel, and not a lot of cheap plastic. They will last. They will have violent looking claws (and I imagine that with some practice they could become a lethal kicking weapon). They take some practice in just walking, so you don't rip yourself to pieces - you have to assume a slightly wider than normal stance. But they will make it so that you can do outdoor chores without sliding on ice - you can kick into the ice and walk securely - the crampons will bite into the ice. I'm wanting a pair that will fit ordinary boots and don't require one to don mountaineering boots. laugh

Well, I was thinking more along the lines of the mountaineering crampons I've used in the past, but made so you can use them on non-mountaineering boots. I'm thinking of them in terms of on-homestead use, or for venturing into the woods, after a bad ice storm. Something maybe along these lines:

http://www.spadout.com/store.php?stpr_id=267

I've seen the town types, but they don't look very sturdy to me. I suppose they'd be better than trying to navigate icy streets in dress shoes! I tend to switch from shoes to boots before I venture outside in winter, so I'm not sure they would add much traction. Maybe. I've never used anything like that.

Yeah, Leah. Yaxtrax is what I wore this winter. BUT Walmart only carried size Large and Medium. I wear a size men's 8 winter boot (room for lots of sox and air circulation..I'm weird) and the Medium was too large. frown They kept coming off and I finally lashed them on with extra shoelaces and they still worked their way off my boot, but not as often. I got them in Dec and they broke in Feb. Possibly cuz I didn't have the reccomended size - small.

However, they DID so the job. With the big ice crampons, I doubt I'd be able to balance/walk. Waaaay too unstable for my MS thing. I have to be able to drive the car down to the barnyard too. AND we don't have snow/ice all over. Just in areas and then we have swept-bare areas. How can you walk on bare frozen tundra with those? Score big on the 'deadly weapon' scale for sure! lol

I'm on the look-out for better town kind. But Yaxtrax are a long-standing brand. I'd buy them next winter (trying for the right size) if I can't find anything better. I was falling nearly every day last winter until my brother sent me a type with little cleat spikes in a stretchy rubber thing. I gratefully wore those out too. What can I say? I do live in the Rocky Mts. LOL

MtRider [stamped on forehead: THIS END UP! laugh ]