MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Tell me about KY -- Louisville in particular

mommato3boys

Hubby has started the paper work for the University of Louisville graduate program. He missed the deadline this year but is hoping and praying that he gets accepted into the PhD program there next fall.

So tell me about Kentucky....NC is as far north as I have ever been. I know you guys get snow. Not too worried about schools our baby graduates high school in 10 weeks boohoohoo oh wait that is supposed to be banana

What are your growing seasons like? Cost of living? Does Louisville have rural areas close by? Really don't want to live in town if we don't have too.

Well...

I'm like... a whole state away... but I can tell you that they don't get *much* snow. Which just means that when they *do*, they also have a hard time removing it. frown

Hope these links help:

search link

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louisville

http://www.hellolouisville.com/

*SOMEBODY* has to know more than I do about this fine city! shrug

I lived in Louisville many years ago. (My youngest DD was born there 19 years ago.) My memory is not really good about the surrounding ares. One thing that amazed me about Louisville is the differences right there in town. I mean, it is deffinately big city and I loved a lot of the free activities provided especially during Derby week. I remember seeing big areas that looked rural right in the city. (Okay the outer edges, but it was in the city. I did do some driving around there, and there was enough of a rural area outside the city limits, but I lived in town. ( The only city that size that I have ever lived in.) It wasn't as bad living in town than I thought, but I still prefer the smaller towns. I did like living there, except for the fact that my family wasn't there. That is mostly why I left. I was too far from family. I only moved there because my sister's MIL lived there and told me that I could find work. I needed a new job and there weren't many where I lived at the time. I am a nurse and I spent months laid off!!! I do know that the country areas were beautiful. Except for when I went down town, I didn't feel like I was living in a big city at all. Probably because of the small farms even in town. I don't see why you shouldn't be able to find something outside of town, unless it is the cost. I have no idea what places go for there, and even if I did know from the past, that was a long long time ago.

Originally Posted By: mistylady
Come to Ohio! I need a buddy! smile

Wish I could but we will have where hubby is accept in to a PhD program. Right now he has his sights set on 4 but Louisville is the program that he really wants.

I had totally forgotten that the derby was in L'ville until I was reading about them. omg I have always dreamed of going to the derby. Hubby and I are talking about taking a vacation there this summer and checking it out.

Grubby's from KY, you might send her a pm. I go thru KY every year on my way to TN. I've traveled from one end to the other and it is one of the most beautiful states in the union, IMO. I have an uncle over in Paducah and a cousin in Fort Campbell.

I lived just across the river from Louisville, KY in Clarksville, IN right after my divorce. Just left it a year ago . . . .Beautiful area. I went to a magnificent church in Louisville - miss it every Sunday! Cost of living is going to be a little lower in southern Indiana, lots of high dollar places in Louisville. Ohio River is wonderful - if you are there by the Fourth of July, you need to go to the river and watch the fireworks display over the river - breathtaking! Louisville DOES have some GREAT resale shops, however. Diane Sawyer (Good Morning, America) is from there and donates all her used clothes to the resale shops. Like I said, lots of money, so some beautiful clothes. You will find lots of Super WalMarts and reasonable places to buy groceries and such. I found the people there to be kind and friendly - and I would probably still be living there if I hadn't met my husband and moved to Virginia to become his bride. Not a lot of snow - more ice than snow, I think. Beautiful in the fall - lovely colors. Loads of horses - that is Kentucky Bluegrass area, you know?

I had forgotten that. I live in Ohio now, but when I lived in Louisville, I remember some of my co-workers lived in Indiana and traveled accross the bridge to work everyday. They said it was cheaper in Indiana, but the pay was better and there were more jobs in Louisville. I did love it there, but missed my family in Ohio and the rest of my family was in California or Massachusetts which was way to far away. So I moved back to Ohio to have family close.

I live near Lexington. wave

It's true what Cat said. When we get a lot of snow it's hard to get it removed. We are just not a snow state. Every year we get at least two ice storms.

In the summer it's hot and humid. Last year it was dry but humid! Large gardens suffered!

Louisville has lots of shopping and it's our major airport hub. Kentucky is a very pretty state. Whether you live in the city or the country you'll see the beauty of our state. We are also known as the horse capital the the world ! I'm not a horse rider but I love horses! smile

You'll love Kentucky! bighug

Originally Posted By: Grubby
I live near Lexington. wave

It's true what Cat said. When we get a lot of snow it's hard to get it removed. We are just not a snow state. Every year we get at least two ice storms.

In the summer it's hot and humid. Last year it was dry but humid!

Geez Grubby sounds like you are describing Birmingham, or NC where I now live. Hot and Humid...the story of my life DarleneSwoon

rofl

I live near Paducah, KY. I have lived in KY my whole life. Louisville is a great city. They are building lots of high rise condos right now. I saw that on HGTV. But they are expensive. It is a really pretty town. I don't think you will have any trouble finding something more rural. We really don't have much of a Spring anymore. it goes from cold to very warm to hot in a couple of months. We got two ice storms this Winter. They do a good job with the roads down here, but we are much smaller. If you like to quilt Paducah is the quilt capitol of the world. The quilt show is coming up this month. We go from 70,000 to about 170,000. It is huge. You will like KY.

OH! I just remembered . . . . when you are in KY - don't miss the Cumberland Falls State Park - those falls are absolutely beautiful - only place in this hemisphere where you can see a "moon bow". Seriously, don't miss it.

Archived