MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
RNs_girl

Okay, just curious here

Honestly? I worry about the government and the collapse of our monetary system.

1. Earthquake

2. Personal or nationwide extreme financial difficulty

3. Family illness/loss of income

Collapse of our monetary system

Maybe not as bad as a depression, but it wouldn't take something that bad to set people nowdays to rioting and etc.

Food shortage. During the Great Depression, there was not a shortage of food. There was a shortage of money and folks could not buy it. But with the ethanol situation and the fact that we are already seeing actual food shortages in other countries, we could face a real problem worldwide on this one.

2. Pandemic

3. Terrorist attack

4. Economic collapse

I used to primarily prep for weather related emergencies and possible pandemic. I also buy quanities on sale of things we use to better manage our food budget. ( i.e. canned tuna goes on sale twice each year, so I get 6 months worth on sale. I never have to pay full price) shoppingcart

I also learned that it is really nice not to have to worry about getting to the store if there is a family emergency, like an elderly parent in the hospital.

Now I think there is a real possibility of a severe depression.

I prep for anything that will keep me from going to the store and buying what I need and for anything that will keep the store from being stocked up. That includes food, fuel, medicines, first aid, hygiene/sanitation. I also prep for the power grid being down for what ever reason. So I have alternate cooking, heating, lights, water supply etc. While I'm doing this I also have a built in hedge against inflation.

For us, I think first of major weather events - Illinois, need I say more? smile

Injury - which could lead to illness, disability, or personal economic crisis.

Illness - either of the more routine variety or pandemic.

Economic crisis - family level or societal (societal is looking more ominous).

Government / Constitutional Crisis - which could lead to many other problems.

War on our soil.

Famine.

Nuclear event.

I prep for peace of mind.

Personal SHTF - job loss, illness, etc. Both DH and I were laid off at the same time, but didn't have to worry about food, tp, or spending money on things other than bills for a few months. Still working on building that back up to what it was.

Pandemic or other quarantine situation

Weather - mostly winter storms, here. Not a lot of tornados, but there have been freak ones that have happened.

Economy/Monetary - Even my non-believing DH is beginning to see the light on this one.

Food shortages or extreme prices - already changing our diets to simpler, non-processed foods, etc.

I prep for weather emergencies (snow .... hate snow.... sick of it) and depression, rioting, civil chaos, nukes, monetary systme failing (happening now), war and plagues. Geee I sound so cheery! Anything is possible now. I never thought I would be buying Potassium Iodate for nuke fallout or saving seeds and planning where to bring in the chicks so they will survive after the bomb hits. It just seemed impossible twenty years ago to even think like this. The tv show Jericho is totally plausible in my opinion. So we prepare to survive and do it as comfortably as possible.

#1 - Personal crisis already hit when my MS took me out of employment possibility. It has had a HUGE impact on our lives. The World, As We Knew It, will never be the same. For the past 15 yrs, I have learned how to stay prepared to handle the extreme needs of this major disability...to the extent that I don't have to retire to my rocking chair cuz it's too risky to do otherwise. no

#2 -Economic Crisis...in a personal sense, we've been battling that one ever since #1 happened. Then a governor's decision three years ago sent a lot of small businesses in this state reeling. DH has been working two full-time jobs for nearly 2 yrs now...and right now he's doing part-time tax preparing as well. DarleneSwoon No, the World, As We Knew It is no where near what we now live. This one may be easing just a bit finally. [but some of the gain is being eaten up by rising prices.] And simplifying life thru MANY of the suggestions here at Mrs S has been VERY helpful during this intense time!!!! cheer

#3 - I've always lived under either blizzard/tornado or hurricane/earthquake potential. I've ALWAYS prepped for weather/nature events. And been very thankful when they've happened for that preparation.

All of the above.....already been there and DOING THAT!

Future potential?

#4 - Even DH, who hates paying attention to the details of life, has been convinced for years that we're heading for an 'economic correction' which has the potential to be quite serious and lengthy. I guess that's the first crisis at a national level (vs personal) that we're looking towards as the most likely. Recession/Depression....I don't even have to forecast. I'm just preparing to ride out whatEVER as well as we can on our own resources.

#5 - I am seriously hoping that the Pandemic, major earthquake stuff, etc does NOT occur. But this category is not so predictable so I just keep a full medical kit and a wary eye open. If BF hits, I gotta make choices about my ducks quickly. I am fairly edgy about Bird Flu or it's ilk.

IF anything major in this category happens I would expect, at the very least, a severe economic crisis to quickly follow....unfortunately.

#6 - World situation....National Politics? Wellllll, yanno if our country DOES go into any major financial crisis, I'm just a bit concerned that some other country might act like chickens attacking the one with a spot of blood. Opportunistic. Not sure it would be successful. Even weakened, this country has a pretty strong will. Even if it's only the will to have our own way. Dunno. shrug

#7 - Full-Blown national/global TEOTWAWKI? I don't lay awake night worrying. But I dispassionately run scenarios about it as a mental exercise. They can help me to prepare better for even an economic crisis. I know I'd be more ready than most if it did ever get that severe. Sheeeeesh, I hope not. I LIKE electricity, hot water showers, and computers.

I do know that alot of our current systems are very complex, inter-dependent, and a bit more fragile than I'd like. TEOTWAWKI could be the end result of one crisis setting off the next crisis, and so on like dominoes. But that's theoretical. shrug

MtRider [Living the :shtf: lifestyle to some extent already...and rapidly rising prices are just another step in that progression.]

I've never really put the possible SHTF situations into a list. Like most others, I feel that a personal situation would be most likely. From there I'd say that rioting and a recession or depression is next. Followed by pandemic.

One thing that really worries me at the moment is the upcoming election. There are a lot of biggots out there and some are violent. What happens if Obama is elected and one of the white suppremists assassinate him? I really think there is a big group in the cities that are just looking for a reason to riot.

As got the biggest situations, asteroid strike, nuclear war,etc. I'm not entirely sure I'd want to survive. I'm still prepping in case I'm not at ground zero.

I mostly prep because of simple reasons.

The first is security in case of job loss or time off related to health. When I broke my leg many years ago, it would have been way worse for my family if I wasn't working for a small nursing home. She loaned me a house that she used as an old group home that was closed down to stay in during the week so I could get back and forth to work. My work consisted mostly of being there and giving out medicine. It wouldn't have worked in a bigger place that required more of me. In that small place I was able to work while not fully able. A bigger place I would have been out of work for the 10 weeks with the cast on and probably atleast a month more while I had therapy. Her kindness and generousity not only helped prevent a staffing crisis for herself,but kept me finacially afloat. Two years later I was pregnant and single. I had to work to support my family, but also had to take time off after the baby. I didn't prep then. It was a struggle. I already was living without a stove. ( I had a hot plate and very low power microwave that couldn't really cook food and an ice chest for my fridge. No car because mine had broken and I had to walk or bus everywhere, and no income. Funny that didn't wake me up, it took more stuff later to make it sink in that you need to prepare fo a loss of income.

Illness ties to the loss of income, but brings problems of its own. When I hurt my leg again two years ago, I was the only one in the house who could drive. Therefore I had to do the shopping even though I couldn't really go up and down stairs and was suppose to stay off my leg. ( We live in an upstairs apartment.) That is the one that woke me up to needing to be more prepared. I had started putting food up before but got talked into not needing to keep so much food on hand. So here I was trying to do shopping with an assistant when I really needed to be home with my foot up. Illness brings an interuption to your normal life and the added expense of everything from medications and treatments to child care or transportation to get to the doctor's as you need to. I have seen that with my daughter and her 7 children with lots of health issues in her family. They are spending way to much for gas to get to appointments and it is getting harder to beg or barter child care. Some of the medicines they need are way to expensive, but luckily the insurance covers most of it.

Weather is another big one. The last thing I want to do is run out to get supplies in a blizzard. If it is bad weather we tend to lose power. With power goes the heat and water. I have learnt to prepare for that to happen, so tied to weather is interuption of services that we depend on.

Finacial is a new reason. The cost of everything is getting to high. I see prices going up over night when I fail to buy something when I meant to. I have never been one to shop the sales or use coupons. I find myself watching for those sales and useing those coupons now. I stock up on what is on sale because I don't know how much it will cost in the future. I make a decent income yet I worry how I will buy what we need, not even considering what we want, or keep gas in the car. My daughter isn't working right now, but I wonder at the wages she is likely to get with no training, will it be worth the gas in the car to get her to a part time job. My neice just stopped her job that was down to only 10 hours a week even though it was their only income, becuase she spent half of that or more just in gas to get to work. She is going back to trying to earn money from home. Hre husband was injured a few years ago and is still fighting fo rhis disability, but can't even think of working because even part time work will mess that up. He hurt his back bad enough that he really can't work at most jobs. Even sitting at a desk is too much for him. Yet with him unable to work it wasn't worth it to them for her to work. The little she earned ruined their chances of getting any help so it was costing them money for her to try to help support the family. Yet they have been prepping, at least on a smaller scale. They grow alot of their food. They don't even have a well and cart water from her FIL's house a mile down the road. They are making do. Better preps would make that even better for them, but what preps that they have are making the differnce for them. So finacial is such a big reason to prep that it could be enough of a reason all on it's own.

I have also considered preping for the bigger things such as political unrest, war, terrorist, major disasters, etc. I do not see them as the mostly likely reasons to go into my preps, but I do feel that I will be better off if I prep for the other things I see as likely to happen, if any of these do happen. I have even considered preping for a nuclear attack, but that is lower on my priorities of what to prep for. The other areas have to be taken care of first, then I can worry about what I am less likely to have to face. I just hope I pick what I need to prep for right.

First and foremost is personal financial planning. I am the sole breadwinner in my family and if I were to lose my job we have savings to pay for bare essentials for quite some time - but making that last as long as possible means not buying much of anything else. Since we live off preps and gardens now as supplemented with purchases of meat, dairy, and eggs - we can easily quit buying replacement preps and use our prep versions of meat, dairy and eggs solely - thus reducing our overhead expenditures much further than we already have them trimmed to. We can go along time on our preps particularly with the heavy use of our gardens that we are in the habit of.

Second reasons are more in the nature of disasters that are not so personal in nature. Earthquakes, High Wind storms (takes out trees in our heavily wooded area), broad economic downturns and inflationary/deflationary impacts that can unfold from that, fuel supply disruptions, pandemic illness, crop loss from weather/climate extremes, and other somewhat less likely events - such as war on our turf.

I prep in general and it covers a host of potential problems. I cannot be prepared for everything - but by living a prepared life I increase my odds of surviving and buy myself time to sort through what ever the new situation is at that time.

economic collapse

soaring prices (food, gas, electric)

food shortages

riots

war

honestly pandemic concerns me personally the least... interesting to see everyone's lists..

I honestly expect a mix of the 5 I listed... with some government collapse mixed in...

1. Personal SHTF - My Dh was out of work for 15 months. My preps plus our savings got us through. I am still trying to get us back to that level. Now I'm ill and having to re-evaluate everything.

2. Natural Disaster- Around here fire, flood (a few yrs ago flooding downtown caused no water for 3 wks!). earthquake are all possible disasters

3. Economic collapse of US/World economy

4. Pandemic

5. Food security issues

6. Terrorism and War related issues

Lots more but those are my main motivators.

Food shortage--any explanation here would be preaching to the choir. This includes a gasoline crisis that would make food too expensive to ship or process. It also includes climactic changes that result in poor harvest and the abandonment of some food-growing areas. It also includes a shortage of clean, wholesome food due to contamination of any sort, whether intentional or other.

Flooding of the coastline--think of a slow motion repeat of the Katrina/Rita debacles, only it's every commercial port, shipyard, coastal community and tourist trap from Halifax to Miami to Houston and into Mexico. What will happen to the economy when the government tries to throw down enough money to pacify all those refugees?

Pandemic--we are overdue, ecologically speaking. Also, when was the last time you heard of a restaurant/fast food place that gave paid sick days to its employees? Do you know that more and more chain grocery stores are cutting all but management employees to part-time status so they don't have to be paid benefits (i.e. sick leave and medical insurance)? How healthy was the guy who wrapped your burger or the lady who stacked the tomatoes in the grocery store bin? How many people wash their food before eating it?

Acute terrorist attack--Like 9-11, only maybe with NBC involvement. I was trapped in downtown Tallahassee during 9-11, unable to reach my children, looking down at traffic that was not moving at all because TPTB had shut down some streets and made others one-way without putting any notification system in place. The governor's brother was due in town after his photo-op morning in South Florida, and everyone assumed he would go to earth here. I don't work downtown any more.

Delayed-effect terrorist attack--meaning a contamination of food, water, or gasoline that is discovered only after substantial amounts have been consumed or distributed. In this scenario, the reaction is at least as problematic as the initial damage.

Economic collapse--they said it would happen if oil ever reached $50 a barrel or if a major hurricane hit New Orleans. They didn't say it would happen fast.

Hurricane/tornado/flood--here in the armpit of Florida we don't get our share of hurricanes, but we do get some.

Meltdown--Remember before TMI meant Too Much Information? Remember how old most of our nuclear reactors are? Have you mapped out a seasonal radiation plume from your local reactor? I know a little too much about the way those things were built in the 60's and early 70's, and they scare the living crap out of me. A few weeks ago we got an alert that Miami and everywhere around it was under a blackout, that this was not the result of the current weather problem, and that two nuclear reactors had been shut down. No further information was available until hours later. (Sound familiar, Cookiejar?) I shut down my computer, went to pick up my HS-aged son, and then went home. We stopped to top off the gas tank only once we got in easy walking distance of home. This issue is low on the list because we should have some warning and the fallout should be quite localized.

Depression/collapse of our economic situation

Food shortages, engineered or otherwise

Fritz, I don't worry about the 'white supremacists' killing Obama. I worry about his handlers making the decision that he is more valuable to them as a 'martyr', much as they did MLK,Jr. If the KKK, Aryans, etc were as powerful as the SPLC et al try to make believe they are (in order to raise money) that would be one thing. No I look for such an episode as a rationale to confiscate weapons and perhaps to declare martial law. IN other words, a 'false flag' event that torches what's left of the Constitution.

Go look at Pennsylvania's Homeland security site. It talks about right wing threats: those who talk about our Constitutional rights or fly a "Don't Tread on Me" flag. PA isn't the only site. I'm waiting for the DAR to be branded a terrorist organization; after all, their ancestors challenged authority and flew the Gadsden and Culpeper flags! Oh my!

People who champion the 2nd amendment, who champion the 1st amendment's provision that citizens can demand a redress of grievances by their government are labeled as crackpots, or extremists. They are derided and marginalized if not criminalized.

The Constitution's Bill of Rights does not secure our rights. They are God given. The Bill of Rights simply acknowledges those God-given rights. If one is agnostic or atheist, then one has a problem: from whence cometh those 'rights'? The state? Then it may abridge or dissolve them. Darwinian evolution? The collective? Then the individual must capitulate to the collective, hence no individual rights.

I don't like to get my history, theology or politics from Hollywood, but a couple of movies worth an evening's attention are the 1963 "Manchurian Candidate" and 1997's "Conspiracy Theory". The former is done 60's style and is a little stilted and staged rather like some Soho reader's theater and the latter is disjointed, but they're still serious food for thought.

Rant off. bouquet

Everyone's comments have been very very intersting and thought provoking.

I prep for peace of mind. It really doesn't matter what the shtf situation is personal, national, worldwide, shtf is shtf. All we can do is prep as best as we can afford and trust the rest to the Lord. As a Christian I figure if I end up dead, it will mean going to Heaven which isn't an unpleasant thought!

Dh has always been supportive but not a leader in prepping. He's been more of a firefighter dealing with stuff when it happens. He has been urging and actually insisting that I buy more and more preps lately. I spent $367 for food in March (budget is $180)and once I find a place for everything will do another big buy. Mostly Aldis but I'm also shopping store ads and have gone to restaurant supply place near where I work. We also spent another $300 on household and personal supplies plus $100 on clothing. We still have a few items to purchase such as a pair of shoes for me ($100), garden stuff, and I'm hoping to find canning jars at auction.

What do I think is most likely. Well, I'd say economic meltdown for the U.S. is definitely in the works which will have worldwide repurcussions. Winter is hopefully about done until November so I'm not too worried about that. Tornado...well we already got wiped out by a tornado here in 1979 so I'm hoping the odds are in our favor for it not happening again.

Long term say 10 years my biggest fear is China. Many (if not most) nations do not like the U.S. so it is possible we could find ourselves at the receiving end of a world war. Not a pleasant prospect.

I think for us I prep for personal shtf situations, then a depression style economic collapse first. After that its weather (Iowa..uh, snow and tornados..*shudder*), and then the more serious ones. I am still working on the medicine/health items of my preps. For some reason, that slipped my mind when I first started, but am getting it done real quick. With the price of diesel like it is, things are going to be skyrocketing here shortly and I don't want to be left empty handed b/c I can no longer afford a box of bandaids.

Originally Posted By: anna
Tornado...well we already got wiped out by a tornado here in 1979 so I'm hoping the odds are in our favor for it not happening again.

Anna, might you be referring to the April 11, '79 storm in Wichita Falls? I was nearby and came up with Red Cross the next day. I was in grad school at Midwestern State. Scary, scary days.

I can honestly say I agree with all of the above. I suppose if I had to rate each one in order of importance to me it would be;

personal finances

my health

food prices

food shortages

economic collapse

pandemic

weather

riots

war

I prep for personal need first and small weather related. This became a larger concern after Katrina here. Beyond that I'm worried about a depression/economic downfall and then food shortages are high on the list. I'm getting more and more concerned about DH's job as this progresses so we've been beefing up the preps.