MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Input, please...

OK, food prices are going through the roof. Restaurants are feeling the pinch... even fast food. I want to combine some stuff to help people save money in foods.

We have lots of excellent posts... like the "poverty cooking" thread and "Mare's collection of money-saving mixes".

poverty cooking

Mare's collection of money-saving mixes

There are LOTS more we can recover or come up with for all of our benefit.

MY QUESTION:

What kinds of things do you/will you/might you try to make by yourself instead of buying? I'm talking mainly about "convenience foods" or snack stuff we cut out of our budgets.

Like, I have already stopped buying soda pop. But I won't be making it... I'll use Koolade or other flavorings, or just make 'em drink water. ;)

Do you buy (for example) "Hot Pockets" for lunches and want to try making them? Yeast rolls? Hot dog buns? Cappuchino mix (we have lots of those!)? Caramel corn? Frozen "ready-mixes" for the crock pot? Frozen chicken nuggets? French fries?

What would you like to have but at a cheaper price (meaning do-it-yourself)?

How would you MOST like to conserve money by making it yourself?

:shrug:

My sister is coming over this weekend to help me with bread making. I have been too chicken to take on yeast breads from scratch. I cranked up that pressure canner for the first time all by myself and didn't break a sweat. But, I am afraid of yeast. Do you just shape the bread recipe into hot dog nad hamburger buns or are there other recipes for that! Learning how to make chips type junk food would be fun. I have been baking cookies and such for quite awhile to provide sweet snacks.

I think one of the things easiest to make and start with is pancakes or waffles. So many people buy them frozen to pop in the toaster or microwave. Making either from scratch is so simple and quick that I can't imagine ever buying them premade.

To add to Dee's post, make the waffles & pancakes, freeze then toast just like eggo wink

Hillbilly Housewife has a lot of those International Foods type coffee mixes as well. I make gatorade mix from scratch & it tastes like the real thing. I also like to make freezer meals & pull them out on busy days. Saves us from feeling the "need" to go out to eat.

I'm already making everything from scratch. I don't see how I can do more, LOL We make our own onion rings, cookies, granola, breads and other snacks. I have not ventured into making our own chips, but have made snack mixes from cereals. We are all on diets anyway and use sliced veggies instead. I haven't used any convenience foods in the last 12 years due to the the corn allergy, so I don't use frozen crock pot or chicken nugget stuff, but you could make your own from scratch then freeze them, or cook extra, freeze those. We do this with meatballs. I make a double batch and cook all, then freeze them in individual servings in a zip lock and my family will grab a few when they want a sub in a hurry.

http://www.justpeace.org/snacks.htm That's a link for some tortilla chip recipes and caramel corn and other snacks

Here's one where you can get a potato chip recipe

http://www.thenewhomemaker.com/potatochips

I stopped buying frozen French fries. I made potato wedges

with homemade seasoned salt and the kids loved them! feedme

Homemade Seasoned Salt

* 2 tablespoons pepper

* 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon powder

* 1 teaspoon onion salt

* 1 teaspoon onion powder

* 1 tablespoon garlic salt

* 1 teaspoon cumin powder

* 1 teaspoon dry marjoram leaves

* 1 tablespoon minced parsley

* 1 teaspoon paprika

* 1/2 teaspoon curry powder

* 1 tablespoon chili powder

* 1/3 cup salt

Mix all ingredients together thoroughly. Store at room

temperature.

I found a recipe for bread that can also be used to make the most delicious cake doughnuts that taste just like they came out of a bakery. Also can use it to make dinner rolls, buns, etc...let me see if I can dig it up real quick like...

A gal on another site gave this recipe out. I am now in love. This is the best dough I've ever seen, bar none. It's quicker than greased lightning and can do anything.

No-Rise Yeast Dough

Mix and let sit for 15 minutes:

1 tbsp yeast

1/2 c. warm water

1 tbsp sugar

Add:

1/2 c. oil

2 c. sour milk* or buttermilk

1/2 c. sugar (or less)

1/2 tsp soda

5 tsp baking powder

1 tsp salt

flour

* To make sour milk, add 1 tbsp white vinegar for each cup milk, let stand 10 minutes until it clabbers.

Mix and knead. Use immediately (bake at 375) or store in an air-tight container in the fridge. This dough does NOT require a rise time; strictly form-and-bake. Pinch off pieces, fry and glaze for bakery-quality donut holes (we're eating some right now, I'm telling you... bakery-quality) or make into cinnamon rolls. I added 1/2 tsp each of pumpkin pie spice, almond and butter flavoring. Lovely flavor.

For savory dough purposes, decrease second addition of sugar to 1/2 tbsp and add 1 tsp salt. Good for rolls and pizza dough, I've made it into breadsticks, hot pockets and a cheesy bread today that tasted just like what you get from Pizza Hut.

The more I work with this dough, the more perfect it seems. Better yet because it's SO quick and I've yet to find anything it doesn't do fabulously well. For you bakers out there, this is a very elastic dough. It doesn't roll well no matter how much you let it rest; work it like a pizza dough, spin it, pull it, stretch it but don't bother trying to roll it.

Glaze Icing

1/2 c. powdered sugar

1 tbsp cornstarch

1/2 tsp vanilla

1 tbsp boiling water.

Whisk and glaze. Doesn't make much icing, I had to triple it. Glazing is easiest done by removing donut holes from hot fat with slotted spoon and dropping them directly into the glaze. Spoon to coat and remove to platter to cool.

Used it last night (3/4ths of it) for pizza, although I could've used half, and saved the other 1/4 for cinnamon rolls this am....just put it in a plastic bag and put it in fridge . Took it out, lathered it with butter cinnamon, brown sugar, a little nutmeg, rolled it up, cut it into 8 slices, set in toaster oven for about 15 mins at 350 and my DH was drooling the whole time.

As soon as the dough is mixed, I put them in freezer-weight ziploc bags, the sandwich size. When I take them out to thaw, I place the frozen lump of dough into a bowl and cover it with plastic wrap so it doesn't dry out.

Six months is the longest I've had them in the freezer; and they were absolutely fine.

Don't try to thaw the dough in the ziploc bag because it will "grow" out of the busted bag pretty quickly. If I'm making herb rolls, etc., I add the fresh herbs after I've thawed the dough, not before freezing.

===================================

This came from TB2K and Chili, the original poster didn't mind if we took it and spread it around the net. I have seen posts on this where people made everything from bread to baugettes to pizza dough, bread sticks, rolls, etc... so maybe this will help some others here to cut some $$ on the groceries! Happy baking yall!

Q

Home made shake and bake

crackers (crushed finely with rolling pin)

seasoning salt

parsley

onion powder

garlic powder

mix and use like regular shake and bake. For amounts its basically trial and error, season to taste. I never measure.

I would love to see the Gatorade recipe too!

Another recipe I'd like to find is for Durkees French Fried Onions. My family adores those things but the Walmart brand isn't as good and the brand name is nearly three bucks a can.

I've made onion rings before, and I don't want the coating to get soggy, oily, or fall off. Basiclly the yummy FF onions we know and love. Anyone have a suggestion or a recipe?

I don't have a Gatorade recipe, but I have a rehydration drink recipe from the Centers for Disease Control. I found it buried in a large document about flu pandemic. Here it is:

The notation said this should only be given to people age 12 and over but did not explain why.

1 quart water

1/2 tsp salt

3 to 4 tsp sugar

1/4 tsp salt substitute

Mix well and flavor with lemon juice or sugar-free Kool Aid.

This sounds like a Gatorade substitute to me!

Jules, I was thinking you could try dehydrating onion rings you make and see if that makes the crunchy onion, or you oven fry the rings so there is less fat, then dehydrate them? Wow, I think I will experiment with this. I make great wheat-free onion rings and if I could turn them into those crunchy treats I miss so much....wow..thanks for the idea!!! (can only hope it works. When I get dehydration equipment which is arriving April 11 I will soon try this, k?)

I've made those "french fried onions"! There was a guy at the local craft fair who makes onion/potato cutters and I bought one and used it. It cuts things in long "shoestrings" or spirals.

I *think* the recipe is just very thinly-sliced onions, dipped in milk (or not??), then dredged in flour (or seasoned flour if you like) and quickly fried in hot oil. Drain on paper towels.

It's been a while! I don't make a whole *lot* of things fried in lots of oil.

Mine looks pretty much like this "cajun" cutter... sideways with a wooden base. But it SURE wasn't $79.00!!!! http://cajuncurl.com/cajuncurlpictures.htm

Another style: http://www.discountjuicers.com/spiralo.html

JCK88 thankyou for the gatorade idea, I will give that a try and see if it's reasonable. Maybe sneak in some pedialyte for electrolytes?

I'm thinking you're on the right track about dehydrating the onions too. This may take some experimenting.

Thanks Cat! I don't have a fancy cutter like those two on the links so I'll have to rely on a sharp chef knife.

PS: Here is my trick to no-tear onion chopping:

First sharpen my knife very well. A dull knife compresses onion flesh and forces onion fumes into the air and secondly, bite down on two toothpicks while chopping. Don't chomp them into pieces, just bite firmly. After making a cut, rinse the onion and the knife in cold water. If you're still concerned about tearing up, crack your nearest window a little as well. Works like a charm.

I'm having success with homemade hot cocoa mix, croutons, and laundry detergent. I am also going to try home made worcesteshire sauce, blue cheese dressing, and ranch.

I love the Hillbilly Housewife site and also the Saving By Making website. smile

Jules...the rehydration recipe has electrolytes in it already. That's the point. It's for when you don't have Gatorade. However, this is not for children. It's from the CDC flu pandemic guide buried somehwere deep into it. I forget where or how I came across it, LOL

Oh..there is a website that has recipes for many brand name items...here http://www.topsecretrecipes.com/recipes.asp

and, I came across these at a blog where the gal lives out in the sticks and misses these things so makes them at home..sorry did not save link, just kept recipies so cannot give credit.

The Recipes

Cool Whip

Our family usually prefers the real thing – heavy cream whipped into sweet perfection – but this is nice if cream isn’t available or for those watching waistlines!

1 teaspoon gelatin

2 teaspoons cool water

3 tablespoons boiling water

½ cup ice water

½ cup non-fat dry milk

3 tablespoons sugar

3 tablespoons oil

Soften the gelatin with water, then add the boiling water. Stir until the gelatin is dissolved. Combine ice water and dry milk in a separate, chilled bowl. Beat until mixture will hold stiff peaks, then while still beating add sugar, oil, and gelatin mixture. Beat until blended then store in the freezer for 15 minutes. Store in the refrigerator for use. Stir before using.

Yields 2 cups.

Dairy Queen Ice Cream

For those who like the light, airy taste of DQ ice cream as opposed to the heavier richness of most homemade ice creams, this recipe works and tastes like the original.

2 envelopes Knox gelatin

½ cup cold water

4 cups whole milk

2 cups sugar

2 teaspoons vanilla

½ teaspoon salt

3 cups cream

Soak gelatin in water until gelatin dissolves. Heat milk but do not boil. Remove milk from heat then add gelatin, sugar, vanilla, and salt. Cool mixture then add cream. Chill for 5-6 hours then pour into a 4-6 quart ice cream freezer. Prepare as normal.

Snapple Ice Tea

Snapple fans may find it hard to believe it’s this simple to get the taste but it is:

2 quarts water

3 Lipton orange pekoe/black pekoe teabags

¾ cup sugar

1/3 cup plus 2 teaspoons lemon juice

Add 1 teaspoons strawberry extract for strawberry ice tea, 2 teaspoons Ocean Spray cranberry cocktail for cranberry, or 1/8 teaspoon orange extract for orange ice tea.

Boil water. Turn off when it begins to rapid boil. Add tea bags and cover. Steep for one hour. Remove tea bags and pour into a 2-quart pitcher. Add sugar, then flavoring. Add water if necessary so contents reach the 2-quart line. Chill and serve.

Kentucky Fried Chicken

Colonel Sanders – the real guy – made a fortune with this recipe, basically his version of Southern fried chicken. Although I prefer my own most of the time, the family likes his once in a while and if you have guests, you can impress them by producing KFC miles from the nearest restaurant.

½ cup salt

1 teaspoon sage

2 tablespoons meat tenderizer

1 teaspoon curry powder

6 cups white flour

¼ cup black pepper

¼ cup MSG

½ teaspoon dry mustard

½ teaspoon ground cloves

½ teaspoon garlic powder

1 teaspoon onion salt

Dip chicken pieces (your own birds or store bought) into an egg/milk mix. Allow one egg per each ¼ cup of milk. Roll wet pieces in dry coating. Place on a wire rack and let coating dry. Fry pieces in vegetable oil until brown. Put browned pieces onto a baking sheet in a 300-degree oven for one hour or until done.

wow. A thread about what I've been doing since joining MrsS rofl

Here is what I have done:

The first thing I did was to stop buying store bread. Making my own bread led to making pancakes, cookies, rolls, coating for chicken, and brownies from scratch. Once you have the flour, baking soda etc. on hand and easily accessible, making things from scratch becomes almost as easy as using mixes. And what you make HAS NO CHEMICAL AFTERTASTE! banana

The next thing was I quit buying expensive fresh veggies which weren't even of great quality and had to be shipped to NY from California, Florida or even further. I steam or microwave frozen veggies instead. I can put 2 lbs of frozen vegies on the table for less than 2 dollars. I've read studies on how frozen stuff is more nutritious than older fresh stuff, so until local veggies are ready, its frozen for us.

I lessened the amount of meat I cook for dinners from 3 lbs to 2 lbs for the 6 of us and I started having 2 meatless dinners a week. I'd like to have 3, but they are still getting used to 2. I had my family pretty spoiled.

I buy mostly apples and bananas for fresh fruit unless there is a big sale on something else. I serve applesauce and canned fruit a couple times a week. No more hugely expensive out of season strawberries for us!

I do not buy soda or orange juice anymore. We have apple juice bottled locally, milk or water for the kids. DH and I do splurge on good coffee. coffee

These changes have saved me $50 a week or more. Its hard to be exact as I have been buying so much extra to build up my stores as I have been cutting back.

We used to have pizza or McDonalds once a week. I've ended that! I can feed us well for the price of a 1/4 pounder meal!

I've bought a freezer to stock up on meats and to be able to freeze a bit of cooking oil. Once I have that on hand, all that is left is to start growing my own veggies this year. I'll also be planting a pair of apple trees, apples do well in upstate NY.

Debbie

I buy hardly any convenience foods. I even make 'cream of __ soup' and catsup from scratch. Our biggest splurge is a single pack of potato chips from the dollar store once a month. We split it. I do buy plain frozen veggies cause we don't have any home grown right now.

another good link, written originally prior to Y2K but chock full of el-cheapo recipes, hints and tricks...

www.justpeace.org\better. It is called the Better Times Cookbook

It has input from many who have 'been there and done that' in terms of truly frugal living because of economic disasters, wars, etc.

• 2 weeks later...
Originally Posted By: quiltys41

No-Rise Yeast Dough

Mix and let sit for 15 minutes:
1 tbsp yeast
1/2 c. warm water
1 tbsp sugar

Add:
1/2 c. oil
2 c. sour milk* or buttermilk
1/2 c. sugar (or less)
1/2 tsp soda
5 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
flour

Oh, I'd love to try this recipe (I'm craving doughnuts, just thinking about it), but I'm wondering how much flour is used in a batch? Do you just eyeball it until it hits the right texture?

V-8 Juice:

2 qt. celery

2 to 4 red beets

6 carrots

4 onions

2 gal. tomato juice

Cook everything seperate until soft. Mash vegetables until fine. Strain and add 3 lemons, rinds and all. Add salt to taste. Chill for 10 min.

Sweetened Condensed Milk:

1/2 c. boiling

1/2 c. sugar

3 T. butter or marg.

1 1/3 c. powdered dry milk

Pour boiling water in blender. Add butter, sugar, and milk. Blend 30 seconds. Pour out and let stand until thick and cool. Makes 1 (one) 14 oz. can of condensed milk.

-from "Amish Country Cooking" cookbook

Being a SAHM I tend to bake/cook (nearly) daily with my DD. Some of the things we make:

english muffin bread (my personal fav)

soft pretzels

muffins, pancakes, waffles & donuts

breads & rolls of all types

chicken nuggets

freezer meatballs & meatloaf

hot chocolate mix

faux bisquick

freezer biscuits

pizza

fries & burgers

from scratch cakes, brownies, cookies & frostings

breading type coatings

Mexican seasonings

chocolate syrup

Things I tried that weren't that great but would try again with a highly recommended recipe:

corn dogs

clam cakes (Rhode Island type, like a fritter)

"maple" syrup

Things I havent worked up the ambition for:

flour tortillas

Things IMO not worth the energy/mess and or expense unless I was completely out:

pasta/ravioli/pirogi

ice cream

hard candy

I'm sure there is more, but my brains not working at the moment

Archived