MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Input, please...

I use screens purchased from the local restaurant supply place, great for everything from fries to nuggets and of course PIZZA!

I have *nearly* replicated the Greek style crust from back home, secret is to let the dough rise in a very well oiled pan

(sigh)

Did I say how much I love pizza? Maybe we should launch a pizza thread?

Southernfarmer, nice to meet you & welcome to Mrs S!!

I found this from a recipe from 1962

CORN DOGS

1 c. all purpose flour

¾ c. yellow cornmeal

2 T. sugar

1 T. dry mustard

2 tsp. baking powder

1 tsp. salt

1 c. milk

1 egg, slightly beaten

2 T. melted shortening

Combine dry ingredients, then liquid; mix until smooth. Pour into tall glass container. Put wieners on skewers, dip one at a time into batter. Fry until golden brown in vegetable oil, heated to 375 degrees. Drain on absorbent paper. A different kind of entertainment dish could be made by using the cocktail wieners in this manner.

never made them.

• 11 months later...

I have always liked the "Ramon Noodles" /Cup of Ramon ( with vegetables) and other “Quick Noodle" things. The items with “extra”, ( vegetables, cheese sauces, etc..) Have risen considerably.

My three solutions:

1) I buy the Ramon Noodles when On sale and stock them .

2) I purchased frozen vegetables, of various types, and dehydrated then to make my own Noodles with veg.

3) I made my own THIN noodles, out of AP flour and water/chicken /beef bases. ( as opposed to Semeloina flour) When the noodle stands are as thin as Ramon type noodles, they cook up in 1 minute or so in a microwave.

My home made stuff is far cheaper than pre-packaged store bought items, and IMO more tasty!

I have a “mix” of vegetable for chicken another for Beef, a third for HAM, another again for plain noodles and vegetables. Likewise I have made my own small packets of cheese sauces .

These make excellent “Travel Along road-trip Food stores” too . Some water in a JUG, a candle or Cig-Lighter pot, and Ramon/ramom-like items make a health but simple road meal for folks on the go!

I am a seasoning junkie... I mix most of my own. Here are some I've either made up or plagiarized off the internet:

Taco Seasoning (This is GREAT! I mix up double batches to keep on hand)

2T flour

1T paprika

1T (heaping) chili powder

1-1/2 t salt

1T minced dried onion

1/4 t cayenne

1/2 t garlic powder

scant T sugar

1/4 t oregano

1 t cumin

Dry Rib Rub

2T salt

4T sugar

2T ground ancho chile

2t garlic powder

4T paprika

cayenne to taste (I use 2 tsp black and red spice from Penzey's)

Creole Seasoning (good for Cajun anything or in red beans and rice)

2T onion podwer

2T garlic podwer

2T oregano

2T basil

1T thyme

2T black pepper

1T cayenne

1T beau monde

5T paprika

Adobo

2T cumin

2t onion powder

2t garlic powder

1t oregano

1t black pepper

2t salt

2 shakes cayenne

Carrabas Style Olive Oil Dip (fantastic sprinkled on bread dough flattened and drizzled with Olive Oil before baking)

1T oregano

1T basil

1T rosemary

1T black pepper

1T dried minced garlic

1T garlic podwer

1t salt

dash red pepper flakes (or crushed dehydrated red peppers)

Hungry Howie kind of Hot Bread Spice

2T seasoning salt

2t paprika

1/2 t oregano

black pepper

2 shakes cayenne

Here is an electrolyte formula that I've saved many farm animals with but is actually for human consumption. It is for babies, children and adults.

5 cups water

8 level tsp. sugar

1 level tsp. salt

Mix and let them drink as much as they want.

I'm not sure what I've started to do to save money as I've always been quite frugal in household needs. I'd have to think where I could cut back or where I actually want to cut back at this point. I have started making my own bread though so I'm no longer afraid of yeast breads. I will try some of the recipes here for sure. Years ago, I cut down on meat consumption for my family. The one thing I have started to do lately is use more recipes with beans in them. I've always made huge pots of homemade soups for lunch. We do more baking than we used to and cut back on buying cookies, etc. but I try not to bake/buy bcz we're already too fat! I'll have to give this thread more thought.

Lots of great ideas here. Thanks to all.

Would anyone have a substitute for Mrs. Dash's Garlic & Herb seasoning. My family is addicted to that stuff.

Also looking for something to replace my store-bought steak marinade/seasoning.

I have been cooking and baking from scratch for as long as I can remember, so the do-it-yourself is not new to me. But the things that hit my pocket book the hardest are meat and cheese.

I would love to be able to raise my own meat and make make my own cheese. I have actually been looking into how to make cheese, but finding fresh goat or cow's milk is difficult and I live smack dab in the middle of farming country. It is just that no one in my area has dairy cows that they actually milk. My husband grew up on a farm, so he has the know how, but he says that right now it is just not cost effective. I'm still working on him. :rolleyes:

I would love to be able to grind my own wheat and make my own bread ~ especially tortillas. I have tried making tortillas but had very little success. I like the store bought kind because they are nice and round and thin. The ones I made tasted good, but they were too thick and oddly shaped.

Archived