MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Kelly

laundry soap recipe ?

I did a search but didn't come up with anything, does anyone have a good easy homemade laundry soap recipe? Thanks.

Liquid Laundry Soap...

To make five gallons.

1 five gallon bucket

1 bar Fels Naphta Laundry Soap

1 cup Borax

1 cup Washing Soda

Grate Fels Naphta bar into about two quarts of water, bring to boil & heat until soap is melter. Stir occasionally. When completely melted, fill 5 gallon bucket with 4 gallons (about) of HOT tap water. Add dissolved soap mixture and stir. Then Add washing soda & stir. Then add Borax and stir. Allow to cool. Give it a good stir before using. It should set up in a gel. Use 1/4 to 1/2 cup per load (or there abouts).

Thanks, can you buy the Laundry soap and washing soda in a grocery store? I don't remember ever seeing it?

You can use Zote soap (found in the laundry aisle), Fels Naptha (usually ordered online) or Ivory . The borax & washing soda (not to be confused with baking soda) can be found in the laundry aisle as well. The borax comes in a greenish box (20 mule team is the brand), the washing soda is by Arm & hammer & comes in a yellow box.

Thanks my 3 month old DGD seems to have a skin problem when it comes to alot of laundry soaps so I thought about making some and see if it bothers her.

You might try adding a bit of vinegar in the rinse water, to help remove more of the soap residue than just plain rinsing would accomplish.

I remember reading somewhere about a kind of 'satisfaction survey' about homemade laundry detergents. There were lots of satisfied users, exept for comments about this one fault: after repeated washings with the homemade laundry soap, the clothes were reported to get dingy and yellowed looking over time.

I am guessing this may be caused by soap residue. Vinegar would help cure that problem!

I keep sayin' that I'm gonna do this homemade soap thingie, but have not yet, but will...someday. It is somewhere between #104 and #150 on my "To Do" list!

I'll get around to it...now where's mah round 'tuit?

Originally Posted By: Kelly
Thanks, can you buy the Laundry soap and washing soda in a grocery store? I don't remember ever seeing it?

Yes, about the only place I have found the washing soda is Krogers but the zote soap and borax can be found at walmart.

I make this same laundry soap but I do not add the water I use it dry. One tablespoon does a large load for socks and underwear I do add 1/2 cup of bleach and 2 tablespoons...DS#3 will go outside in his socks.

I add vinegar to the rinse water and it works wonders.

I even take those old socks that have lost their mates and put them in a butter tub of diluted dawny and use them as dryer sheets.

WARNING: this will not made suds or bubbles (which ever you want to call it)

Kelly,

try liquid laundry soap with no scent or coloring and then use the extra rinse cycle on the machine. This worked for my second child who was sensitive. I use 'All free and clear' usually. I buy it in big gallon jugs at BJ's. It costs the same as other brands, so I use it for everyone. I can't see how less chemicals can hurt us.

Originally Posted By: mommato3boys
I make this same laundry soap but I do not add the water I use it dry. One tablespoon does a large load for socks and underwear I do add 1/2 cup of bleach and 2 tablespoons...DS#3 will go outside in his socks.

I've made my own laundry soap with fels naptha and used it for about 2-3 years. I also use it dry and every time I added it to the wash it flares up my respiratory system. I don't know if I'm allergic to fels naptha or what. I used my food processor, outside of course, to grate the fels and then to mix the other ingredients in. I loved the homemade soap because my clothes never smelled. I ran out of homemade, food processor is broke, bought some store bought liquid detergent and everything I wash now has a musty, really gross smell. Yesterday I added 1/8 cup of washing soda and borax each to each wash and that took care of it.
My question is: When using the homemade in a dry state does anyone use a soap other than Fels? I know it's the Fels that gets to me.
The worst part about homemade soap is grating the Fels. Not only is it hard it gets in those sinuses.
Any tips or suggestions? I have one more jug of store bought and then I would like to go back to homemade. I was able to make a years supply for under 20.00.

SparkySarah, I use Zote soap and I have used Ivory soap. I have never used the fels naptha I can't find it and to have it shipped to me will cost a bundle of money. So the cost outweighs it use.

I get good results with the zote and ivory.

I use powdered/dry detergent. My is:

1 cup borax

1 cup washing soda

1 bar grated Ivory soap (its more sensitive than the fels naptha and I like the smell better)

Add 1-2 T per load.

I also fill a downy ball with vinegar and toss in. For dryer sheets a couple drops of essential oils on a washcloth or cloth baby wipe.

For those making liquid detergent, you don't need to grate the soap. Just let in dissolve in a pan of warm water overnight! I've used bars of Ivory soap with very good results and I have also used the fels naptha, but I usually only use 1/3 of a bar of it. I've found all the ingredients at my grocery store.

Thanks Lori, I printed it.

Has anyone ever used Colgates Octagon bar soap to make laundry soap? I

Lets try again....Has anyone used Octagon all purpose bar soap to make laundry soap? I checked in one store today and got the borax, but this was the only soap I saw. They didn't have laundry soda so I'm going to have to look somewhere else.

I have not found Washing Soda (Arm and Hammer) anywhere!

For those that have a green thumb... grow Soapwort!

cut, dry and boil.. soap!

I found all the ingredients to this but never got to make it up. Just the smell of the Fels Naptha soap setting in the laundry room made me extremely ill.

I tired a very small amt. of the recipe with pure castile soap but it didn't dissolve well in the laundry. We have very hard water. Anyone have any suggestions?

bighug

Originally Posted By: Mother
I found all the ingredients to this but never got to make it up. Just the smell of the Fels Naptha soap setting in the laundry room made me extremely ill.

I tired a very small amt. of the recipe with pure castile soap but it didn't dissolve well in the laundry. We have very hard water. Anyone have any suggestions?

bighug

Well Ivory soap dissolve in your water if not you may have to make the liquid. I just like the powder it doesn't take up as much room and being in an apartment that speaks volumes.

I've never heard of the Octagon soap before, I am having great results with grating a half bar of Fels Naptha but I bet a half bar of Lever2000 might work too. I found the 20 mule team borax but couldn't find Super Washing Soda. I wonder if I can pester a store manager into ordering it....

I know the recipe I used said to not use baking soda but I used it anyway since I couldn't find washing soda. I am getting supremely clean clothes and my cost is $1.14 a gallon. It's proving to be as or more effective than the Gain I was using and is tons less expensive than literally everything else.

I found a recipe that does say to use baking soda and on another board I read yesterday that the lady used Octagon and said she didn't need fabric softener.

The Fels-Naptha is toxic smelling. I love how great of a job it does but I don't enjoy blowing my nose every time I load the washer. It's awful. I will see what I can find at the store when it comes time to make it. I would assume Ivory won't be as hard on my food processor grater. The Fels killed my last one.

Which section of the store do you find the Zote in? I think I will get a variety of soaps and try them all and make a few different batches at the same time so that I may compare.

So we've got Octagon, Ivory & Zote. Any Others?

You can pretty much use any soap. The zote, fels, ivory & castille (I forgot that one earlier) are the ones that work the best. Zote is high in animal fat. It smells kinda funky right out of the pkg, but it really has NO smell after a load & hardly any smell from the soap.

At my Wal-Mart the Zote is with the laundry supplies.