MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mother

Red Flags for a Looming Crisis

Because of an almost overwhelming amount of PM’s asking me how I knew what was looming on the horizon I thought we needed to start a thread on markers or red flags that tell us what might be coming.

I explained to most of them that I had been given a psychic ‘gift’ when very young, (though I often considered it more a curse) but I also explained that I combined my gift with a lot of concrete evidence as a basis for prepping.

I hope this thread will be a place where we can all post about the physical markers that we see that back up our feelings. I’m not talking about Biblical signs though there are a lot of them to lend credence to what is happening. (It might even be a good idea, if there isn’t already one, to start a similar Biblical thread in Streams.) I’m not even talking about dreams or feelings here. I’m talking about what we see in the newspapers, online, and elsewhere that makes us realize that those feelings are based in realities.

I am also not suggesting that each marker posted here has to be absolutely confirmed as truthful for we all know that sometimes it’s impossible to prove a statement, for even the most prestigious source in the world has their own agenda to further. I am suggesting we post those things that seem most likely to show a looming crisis.

It seems that one of our most eminent crisis, and one most people are worried about today, is financially or monetarily based. One of the things I’ve learned over the years is that before we can understand what is happening we have to know what is behind what is happening. In other threads on Mrs. S we have talked about the financial system of the US being based on trust though admittedly it is difficult to find that touted as its base. Take away the trust and they whole system starts to fall apart.

According to the RBC Cash Index today, consumer confidence is at an all time low. http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080411/ap_on_...umer_confidence

I have also read a couple of things lately that make me go HMMMMM. The first was that Vice President Cheney has been moving his funds to ‘safe’ overseas investments. It seems he started doing it three years ago already. I have seen this in several different, unrelated, informational sites though I will admit that I have not done a search on his financial portfolio myself. Even if it’s only marginally true then the very person who should be in strong support of our own system is NOT.

Another thing I found was that the Bush family is supposed to have bought a 100,000-acre ranch in Paraguay. In 2005! Now it could be that they just bought it for investment purposes but that area has long been known as a refuge for various country ‘officials’ and why didn’t they invest in American land? Hmmmmm.

I tend to pay attention to what is said or not said in the media, knowing full well that the media is actually under the control of the government either through financial pressure or through reasons of “Homeland Security”. The discrepancies are telling if you only think about them.

For instance, we have been told that grain prices are rising and will be going higher in the future. We are told some are scarce because of weather, diseases, etc. Yet we are also told that the farmers in America are going to be raising less corn this year to keep the prices HIGH!

A newspaper article last night shows rioting in Haiti because of food shortages and prices. Righ next to it is an article from London where they talk about growing global hunger. In it, Prime Minister Gordon Brown called for the use of genetically modified crops to be reconsidered for the sake of resolving food shortages! GMO foods,,,,, hmmmmm wonder which huge corporation owns the rights to over 90% of the seed in the world?????? Couldn't be Monsanto had anything to do with the riots could it? HMMMMM (Who is it on here who says just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean it isn't true?)

Those are a few example I gave others, there are a lot more like them. What tells me that we are getting closer to this crisis is the fact that these red flags have been more prevalent. I compare what is happening in the US and more importantly in the world as it pertains to our economy and I feel a great fear. We believe we in the US are protected from what we feel is only Third World problems but there have been other countries, just as prosperous at one time, who have experienced melt downs in their systems. We are not immune.

Now, because I am never happy with seeing doom and gloom on the boards without some suggestions how it can be prepped for or handled I will offer a few suggestions.

First, it might be wise to make sure that whatever money you have in the stock market is money you can afford to lose. If you won't need the money in the near future it's possible that eventually you might recoup some of what would have been losses now.

Second, If you are concerned about rising prices of certain products that you use these markers, and the ones I hope people will be posting, to stock up on them before they go higher. Focus on the most expensive ones now or those that will BE the most expensive later.

Third, if you are concerned that food shortages are, at least in part, engineered by those who would make more money from it, think about stocking up on heirloom or open polinated seeds and make plans to grow your own and save your own seeds. Please be aware that IF there is even a tiny bit of truth in this there is no way at this point that we can control it. Once started it takes on a life of its own and the panic will spread, making it self supporting.

I would also suggest that everyone read about Martial Law and be informed at what exactly the President can do at that time. It is an eye opener for sure.

Lets get some discussion going on this. What red flags have you seen? And what suggestions do you have to handle them?

bighug

Well, Mother, the thing that scares me the absolute most is that all three presidental hopefuls are anti gun. Without our Second Ammendment Rights we have no rights at all!!!!!!!!! The rest of this will not matter because if we can't resist we have to take what comes. All three get an "F" rating on supporting our Second Ammendment Rights. Personally, I don't feel that any one of them is fit to be elected.

Well, I have a big red flag that has nothing to do with anything in the media. I have had the belief for a very long time that one of the big flags would show its self in the form of things going on in the adoption arena. I see this happening already I did not expect to see it yet. Like during the time of the great depression and other times and places all of the world more and more kids are becoming orphaned due to lack of money to support the children. The birth parents are starting to notice that food stamps and free medical isn't enough to support their families. More and more kids are becoming available for adoption due to this. I am an adoptive parent I have adopted thru foster care and thru private open adoption twice. We had been on waiting list two adopta newborn for over eight years when we got the call to adopt our first daughter the reason given as to why the parents where placing her for adoption was because they couldn't parent and couldn't afford to parent. Fourteen months later we adopted daughter number two reason given for placing her for adoption was that the birth mom was to young to parent but, even if she wasn't to young the family couldn't afford another mouth to feed. That was according to the bio grandmother. Two months later we got a call for another newborn that we did not adopt. However when I spoke with the birth family they said they where placing due to the childs special needs and because they could not afford to raise him even with goverment assistance. All of this has happened in the last two years. The adoption organization we work with said that they had placed 27 kids and newborns for adoption between Jan 1 of this year and March 15th. In 2007 they placed a total of 24 children for adoption for the entire year. I asked why such a drastic change and was told people can't afford the kids anymore. To me that says alot as to what is coming at us.

This may not be the place for this, if not please move. I was reading on timebomb2000 yesterday and came across this article. It was about the 3rd part of F. William Engdahl's book Seeds of Destruction. You can go to www.atlanticfreepress.com/content/view/3180/81/ and read the first, second and third. Take a good look at Monsanto, DuPont, Dow and one other. Henry Kissenger in 1970 said, "Control oil and you control nations; control food and you control the people." Read about Monsanto giving GMO seeds to Iraq, and about the seeds they have used for thousands of years. Read about the terminator seeds. Now they have another seed that if the farmers sell or give someone else seeds (which is illegal)they won't grow unless they have something else Monsanto sells. This way they don't have to worry about anyone saving or giving seeds away. Go look up the WTO. We have an absolute mess not only in USA but worldwide. Sorry, I rambled on, it just was scary reading about all this yesterday. By all means, make sure you have heirloom and OP seeds. I'll shut up now!!

http://www.businessweek.com/print/globalbi...0410_123589.htm

Europe April 10, 2008, 1:38PM EST

Soaring Food Prices Unleash Chaos

The World Bank calls for leaders to take action as violent protests against the high cost of grains and other foods are seen around the globe

The scenes in Haiti have been dramatic. Gunfire on the streets in the capital Port-au-Prince; thousands parading through the streets; and 9,000 United Nations peacekeepers powerless to stop the violence and the widespread looting. Five people have been killed in the violence since last Thursday, according to unofficial reports. Even an impassioned plea by the Caribbean country's President Rene Preval on Wednesday failed to restore order.

"The solution is not to go around destroying stores," he said. "I'm giving you orders to stop."

Haitians, though, are reacting to problems that cannot simply be wished away. Food prices across the globe have been skyrocketing in recent years. Rice prices in Asia have spiked as has the price of bread in Egypt, milk products in Europe and pasta in Italy. The result has been unrest in a number of countries and many more concerned that a mass protest is but a price hike away.

Now, World Bank President Robert Zoellick has called on world leaders to act to ease the global food crisis. Zoellick urged the United States, the European Union, Japan and other developed countries to help plug a $500 million (€319 million) shortfall in the United Nations' World Food Program. In a speech given in Washington, D.C. on Wednesday, Zoellick said the money was urgently needed to meet emergency demands and warned that if politicians did not act now, "many more people will suffer and starve."

Unrest triggered by the higher food and fuel prices has been gaining steam across the globe in recent weeks. During a two-day riot in Egypt earlier this week, one person was killed. Cameroon has also seen street violence. In the Philippines, President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo warned on Tuesday that rice shortages were exacerbating political and social tensions in the country.

Zoellick, who was speaking in the run-up to the World Bank's spring meeting this weekend, said world leaders needed to develop a new mechanism that focused not only on hunger, malnutrition and access to food and its supply, but also on the connections between energy, crop yields, climate change and other factors.

According to the World Bank president, as financial markets have tumbled, food prices have soared. The prices of some basic staples, such as rice and wheat, have shot up by as much as 80 percent in some places.

The UN estimates that global food prices have risen 65 percent since 2002, with grain rising 42 percent and dairy products 80 percent last year alone. Jacques Diouf, the director-general of the UN Food and Agriculture Organisation warned Wednesday that unrest linked to food and fuel prices, which has been seen in Burkina Faso, Cameroon, Egypt, Indonesia, Ivory Coast, Mauritania, Mozambique and Senegal, could spread to even more countries.

Zoellick said the World Bank, whose main task is to fight poverty in developing countries, estimated "that 33 countries around the world face potential conflict and social unrest because of the acute hike in food and energy prices." In countries where food made up half to three-quarters of consumer spending, "there is no margin for survival," he said.

According to Zoellick, high and volatile food prices will continue for years, because of growing populations, changing diets, rising energy prices, the emergence of biofuels that force farmers to choose between lucrative fuel crops and foodstuffs, and climate change.

British Prime Minister Gordon Brown also urged world leaders to intervene to tackle rising food scarcity. In a letter released Thursday, he writes about the urgent need to address rising food prices and the impact of biofuel production on agriculture. "Rising food prices threaten to roll back progress we have made in recent years on development," Brown wrote. "For the first time in decades, the number of people facing hunger is growing."

A yr ago I felt the Lord was telling me to stock up and I bought a good bit of wheat and other foods. Last winter I felt a sudden urgency to buy more rice and beans and corn and sugar, so I stocked up heavily on those. This spring I dug hard for cash and ordered a good bit from Walton Feed. I keep thinking I need 10 yrs worth of food on hand. Why? I don't know. Maybe just paranoia? Maybe the Lord telling me, but I'm trying as hard as I can to get it with His help. I don't know if this means 10 yrs of hard times, or if it means I'll have more mouths to feed or if I'm just reading too much of the bad news du jour. It could also be just a personal crisis. I've certainly had enough of those in my life.

This may not be what kind of information you are meaning we should post Mother but at grocery store today noticed can of coffee “on sale” for over $9.00. Only two weeks ago it was less than $7.00 frown

Checked web market reports, and since first of year, green coffee beans up 22%, cocoa up 35%, sugar up 32%.

Those are all the types of markers I was meaning. It's good to look back in order to see the after. I had not realized that coffee had gone up that high.....

((( )))

Markers I see...

I haven't been able to order 50 pound bags of oatmeal from the co op since last September.

5 pound block of cheese from Safeway - all of 2007 $12.99, left the shelves and returned in February at $15.99, two weeks later it was 17.99, one week later and to date it was $18.99.

Put a NICE 2003 minivan in the paper for $650 under book. We got 2 calls in 6 weeks. Even after we took the price out, we didn't get any calls. Even after we offered to trade for all or partial value we didn't get any calls. The gals at the newspaper said everyone was extending their ads. A friend said her sister had a late 1990's car for sale, high mpg and priced WELL below book and it didn't get any calls at all. Not good.

My very levelheaded, non-excitable dad told me that he felt that we were headed for a serious economically depressed future, soon. He went on to say that unlike the great depression, people are going to have trouble adjusting as many of the survival skills people had in the 1930's are no longer widely known. He is so non-tinfoil hat that it was shocking to hear him say that.

Joyfully,

Cheryl

fostermomma -- Wow. I DO consider that to be a marker that many of us would not know about. Thanks for sharing that. It's so sad tho! mecry

Quote:
Like during the time of the great depression and other times and places all of the world more and more kids are becoming orphaned due to lack of money to support the children. The birth parents are starting to notice that food stamps and free medical isn't enough to support their families.

These reports of already not being able to get ahold of grains has the hair up on the back of my neck. [already planning to put in another special order for wheat thru the feed store tomorrow. ]

SDbookmom - I also have a "so non-tinfoil hat" father who is saying things about the economy. That is a Reg Flag to me.

I've stated in earlier threads that I have always had two priority purchasing lists. The usual one in which I add more of what we use normally. Can never go wrong there...cuz who ever heard of a price going down anyway? BUT the second list has things which I may never use...unless :shtf: So I didn't want to make purchases from that list if I may never use the items. Example: FIRST on that list was a GOOD water purifier. Last fall my internal Red Flags were flying high enough that I bought the water purifier. Took more than two months worth of alloted "extra" money to do it. Next I got goats....long term sustainable milk. I had birthday money for that. I never believed I'd actually commit to twice-daily milking. I'm a farmers daughter....I know that score. But I am SO thrilled to have them. [...4 months till birth/milk] I'm working on other items on the Second List while also trying to keep up on the First Day-to-Day list as well. twister

So what Red Flags specifically was I seeing????? Besides those that are already mentioned, I'm not sure I know. I've been really trying to not get out ahead of God's leading in this prepping. And yet, a few weeks after Mother told me of dwarf goats (smaller...for my disability) there they were in the paper when I was looking for DUCKS! I've watched that weekly local paper since November when this happened and I've never seen ANY livestock offered in it again. Quite a number of opportunities/Provisions have been dropping into place like that. So many that I finally took notice of the pattern. Personally for me, it's a huge Sign.

Other signs from last fall: I heard that enrollment in Colorado's mandatory Hunter Safety Class is WAY up. (Food on the table) I heard that applications for handgun carry is way up. Canning and other homemaking class enrollments are up. The feed store is arranging for high mountain gardening classes...the veggie kind, not ornamental landscaping. With emphasis on greenhouses. 'Course, us Colorado Mt. folk are traditionally a self-sufficient lot anyway. LOL

I read an article about advantages of growing your own organic veggies....an article you might have found on MrsS! The article was in the little magazine that Subaru cars puts out. jawdrop

MtRider [so busy doing and learning....at highest speed possible]

Marker that I have seen... Back in Jan 2008 hard roll in the grocery store bulk bin was 49cents.... March 2008 DH reports "Hey Hun the bulk bin rolls are now 69Cents" today April 2008 Bulk bin rolls 80cents. Bulk bin rolls up 31 cents in 3mo at my local grocery store.

Hmmm...a big marker for me...the escalation in gas prices. The cheap gas in our city today...$3.69 gallon. It seems to be going up 4 or 5 cents each day.

Looking at what people are buying in the garden centers around here...3 homes on the way to my job have pulled up their front lawns and have gardens in place of the grass...and they are mostly vegetables...not the predominantly flower gardens I usually see. Listened to an older couple at the plant stand where I get my transplants...they were discussing how they were expanding their garden because of the way food prices are going up.

Went and bought another 20 lb bag of rice...same brand, same store...in December the price was 6.99...2 days ago it was 10.99 (on sale).

In our area people were having bidding wars on homes as soon as they went on the market (two years ago)...homes were selling for ridiculous prices the same day...fast forward to today...I saw a foreclosure sign on a home several months ago...that's a real unusual thing around here...and there are for sale signs all over town that have been up for months...homes are not selling.

I rarely post here although I do visit fairly often. I've known of this website since Y2K and have always enjoyed seeing what you ladies (and gentlemen) were up to!

I just wanted to add a few observations to this topic.

I am LDS and have a year's supply of food. I have always tried to follow our prophet's counsel to be as self-sufficient as possible and to store up food/supplies for a time of scarcity.

I have upped my preparations somewhat this year as I have seen prices soar. The price of bulk storage items have risen more than I have ever seen them go up. This is a red flag to me.

Several of our local churches (stake)normally put together an order for Walton Feed each year - usually around March/April. This year as we started collecting orders - we were told that Walton Feed has no wheat and don't expect to have any more until after the next harvest. That is a huge red flag. We have postponed our order until August hoping that things will improve by then - at least, that wheat will be available. Many of our members like to purchase from Walton Feed because they can get their grains already packaged for long-term storage.

Our church canneries are normally always stocked with wheat. About a month ago, my dh and I were going to Greensboro and since we have a cannery there - we thought we would stop and pick up a few items. We tried to call on our way down but the phone was always busy. When we pulled in, the parking lot was packed. I have never seen anything like that before. The poor couple (volunteers) who where working in the cannery were just overwhelmed! The canneries have sent out notices that we are not to bring non-members to the canneries or to resell to them at this time. This is NOT to hoard it all for ourselves. It's mainly because these poor volunteers can't keep up. These are usually elderly couples who are working there with no pay - just serving the church. This is a place that is designed to help our members get their year's supply of food at a reasonable cost. They don't carry that many items - wheat, flour, sugar, dried milk, beans, etc.

I was only allowed to get 200 pounds of white wheat and limited on my other purchases. Apparently that is the last of the white wheat I will be able to get from there. The church grows and stores their own red wheat but purchases the white and just passes the cost on to the members. They are no longer purchasing the white because of the drastic price increases. The red is available but being limited in most areas.

Wheat is still available but you will pay dearly for it. I never thought that I would really see the day when I would have trouble getting grains for storage.

I use wheat almost daily - I grind my own flour and make my own breads. I have enough to take care of my family of 4 for about a year but I always felt like I would be able to get more if needed. Not so, now!

I'm also hearing and reading of problems with the upcoming wheat season/harvest. I pray that we will all have enough to sustain us but I fear that may not be the case.

Big red flags for me!!!!

If you want to store grains for your family - don't put it off. I hope things will get better but I just don't know.

Wow! Thanks for the post Charlene.

Adding to the list. As of today...Every american, on top of their personal debt has $31,091.61 national debt. Breaks my heart our children are born that much in debt and the future we are giving them. frown

Quote:
U.S. NATIONAL DEBT CLOCK - The Outstanding Public Debt as of 12 Apr 2008 at 01:41:54 PM GMT is: $9,445,476,366,172.40

The estimated population of the United States is 303,794,983

so each citizen's share of this debt is $31,091.61.

The National Debt has continued to increase an average of

$1.67 billion per day since September 29, 2006!

Federal Government Debt ending fiscal year 2007 was $9 trillion and climbing. That's $501 Billion higher than last year.

In the 1990s $2.8 trillion of new debt was created;

more than created in the nation's entire history prior to 1990

One more then someone else's turn.

Vanishing Bees: Experts are at a loss to explain the fall in honey bee populations in America, with fears of that a new disease, the effects of pollution or the increased use of pesticides could be to blame for "colony collapse disorder". From 1971 to 2006 approximately one half of the US honey bee colonies have vanished.

“Every third bite we consume in our diet is dependent on a honeybee to pollinate that food,” said Zac Browning, vice president of the American Beekeeping Federation.

The bee losses are ranging from 30 to 60 percent on the West Coast, with some beekeepers on the East Coast and in Texas reporting losses of more than 70 percent; beekeepers consider a loss of up to 20 percent in the offseason to be normal.

I just have to second the posts about Monsanto and the Colony Collapse Disorder in bees. I haven't been around long enough to know if you all have discussed these in depth, but Monsanto is one of my personal "soapboxes". They are not only controlling farmers through patents and royalties, they are banning these same farmers from saving seeds (and have a legal team that specializes in pursuing any unsuspecting neighboring farmers who may have had their crop wind-pollinated by Monsanto corn). They are buying up the major seed distributors, and phasing out the standard heirlooms. From what I understand, they are putting patents on actual DNA sequences in the plants. How can you own life? I guess their plan is to completely control our food supply.

I could go on all day about this one company, and how they are in so many aspects of our daily life. I'm sure you guys know that Monsanto makes Round-up, a weed-killer, and that they also make Round-up Ready soybeans, which can be sprayed with huge amounts of Round-up without killing the plant. This is the majority of the world's soybean supply. But soy is also a source of estrogen. Apparently, there was a study done on cows being fed Monsanto soybeans, and the fat content (associated with estrogen level) in their milk was higher than that of cows being fed regular soybeans. This was without any mention of (Monsanto's!!!) bovine growth hormone, given to dairy cows, and suspected of increasing estrogen levels! No wonder our daughters are starting puberty so young. Of course, now "early" for puberty is considered as being under the age of 8. Okay, so I'm not being scientific. It's just something I've worried about for a long time,having two daughters.

Sorry to rant, but I see these connections in things every day.

On the bees disappearing, Colony Collapse Disorder, the interesting thing is that organic beekeepers are not reporting the problem on the level that commercial keepers are. There are so many potential factors.

Commercial keepers are winter-feeding their bees with HFCS (high fructose corn syrup), instead of honey or sugar-syrup. In addition to nutritional issues, is the corn genetically modified?

Are the bees foraging in pesticide-laden fields, possibly with GM crops?

The bees are also moved often from orchard to another, which could be stressing them. Isn't it something like half of our nation's bees are required to pollinate California's almonds?

Looking back to the organic keepers, I found one fellow (www.bushfarms.com) who pointed out something really interesting - the most common sizes of starter comb being used by keepers is larger than comb found in a natural hive. According to him, this produces a larger bee (more stress?), and allows more time for mites to enter a cell before capping.

Okay, I'm sorry! Didn't mean to dive into things. I am overwhelmed with the great threads on these forums, still trying to figure out where I should jump in!

I just see that there is a huge, snowballing mess in our food supply. Every day I read something that increases my conviction that we need to raise as much of our own food as possible.

welcome5 Liveandlearn We're happy to have you join us. Just jump in anywhere. If it's been posted before it makes no difference because there are so many new people that they probably haven't seen it and need to. Our older members are pretty good with linking to a past post if it fits too.

You are correct. Our food supply is suspect. What I worry about is that even if we grow heirlooms and organically, the farmer next to us may not and I'm concerned about crossing. We've been gardening in tubs and raised beds near the center of our property so far but this year we will be having a large garden closer to a field. Thankfully the farmer does not spray like some do and because our orchard is near there he's careful that he sprays when it's calm or the wind is away from our property. We also have a tree row between which he leaves deep, bless him.

We have friends who allow a bee keeper to have bees on their organic farm. We usually buy 60 pounds or more of honey from them each year but this year they are going to have none. Several hives gone and they don't know what has happened to them. Organic farm and all, they are just gone. I can't help but wonder if Monsanto plants need polination by bees???

goodpost

bighug

long time lurker here--havent posted much. but i wanted to say this is a great thread. i like it that the red flags each person sees can be listed, as what is a red flag for one , someone else might not see it--so its real helpful.

for me was hearing today from my sister that the chicks she ordered last month that were to be ready today to be picked up arent available. she was told she has to wait til may 19th or so. when she asked why she was told that the breeders cant keep up with the demand for chicks, that the orders have increased tremendously and this sort of thing has never happened before.

she thinks is a big Dot and im thinking so too. every body wanting chicks now---------more people waking up, maybe?

the food prices going sky high, not being able to get any more wheat berries, flour rocketing in price, gas prices increasing like crazy, gold and silver jumping, the banking industry on the verge of falling into the toilet, more and more layoffs---its getting scary out there.

I wonder how many people ordering chicks because the price of eggs has gone up have priced poultry feed lately?

jazzy I have been trying to get a few baby chicks from our feed store for probably a month now. They get in 3-400 every Wends. and they are gone in about 1 hour then on Fri. they have been getting in special orders for people too. There is definately a big jump in people buying chicks.

Originally Posted By: Mother
You are correct. Our food supply is suspect. What I worry about is that even if we grow heirlooms and organically, the farmer next to us may not and I'm concerned about crossing. We've been gardening in tubs and raised beds near the center of our property so far but this year we will be having a large garden closer to a field. Thankfully the farmer does not spray like some do and because our orchard is near there he's careful that he sprays when it's calm or the wind is away from our property. We also have a tree row between which he leaves deep, bless him.
Mother ~ this is a real concern. I was reading recently (maybe in a seed catalogue?) about how varieties of a certain type of plant, say different varieties of corn for example (could be any type of plant that readily cross-pollinates by wind), need to be planted a couple of miles apart in order to keep them from cross-pollinating and to keep the plant pure. Pollen from many plants is very tiny and very light and is carried by the wind very easily.

Maybe planting thick wind breaks around one's property would help that somewhat.

What signs do I see? What everyone else has mentioned, escalating food prices, shortages around the world, food riots, rising gas prices which affects EVERYTHING, truckers not being able to afford gas (and a strike would affect EVERYTHING), bees, Bush giving himself all of these powers, how different things are getting backordered or are plain sold out (wheat, wheat grinders, other preparedness items/foods), there is more.

Trying to not get too political here, but when I hear that an agreement has been signed for our govt to be able to use Canadian troups on our soil in case of emergency or unrest, I just have to wonder, what in the world does our govt think is coming? Because I'm sure they expect something to be coming... otherwise why would they do it?

Good idea to start this thread!

Red flags in my area: Gas went to 3.69 this Friday for the cheap stuff...never thought I would see that. I remember when 5.00 woth of gas would fill up my VW bug! Wish I had that back now...it was great on gas!

Local shortages of cooking oils of all kinds. Not the season for cook-outs so not sure what is causing that. The manager at the Dollar store says they are ordering it but just not getting it in to put out on the shelves. Also there are no large sizes of flour, sugar or rice on the shelves. Once in awhile I see one of sugar and get it, but it's been a few months since I have seen flour in anything larger than 10 lb bags and forget getting any wheat. Potatoes have went up about a buck for every 5 lbs. in the past couple of weeks. It was one of the fewer foods that were cheaper to buy than grow, but now I am wondering if that will hold true by fall. May have to plant some anyways...

No one is traveling much...we went out to the store Friday afternoon. Usually highway 79 is packed this time of year with the local friday traffic, people coming here for the week-end to the lake to go fishing and get the cabins ready for the summer, hauling boats in and such (big tourist area). We saw a couple of local we knew on the road, a couple of big rigs and a dump truck...for miles! Now they are talking about cancelling a couple of the Bass Pro tourneys here this spring/summer because of high gas prices. And it will be the hight of the fishing season in about 2 or 3 weeks. Nosy that we are, DH and I went back to the cabin places and summer homes driving around. They are still shut tight and a lot of them have for sale signs on them. Not normal for here at all! If the tourist trade goes down here, that's a big part of our economy on the lake and it will hurt more than I can tell you. We only have 5 restraunts and one just closed in bankruptcy. It's starting to hit here already.

Red flags elsewhere: I see about the same as everyone else does. Bad to worse and not going to get better overnight...this is not a TV episode where it all gets fixed in an hour. It is going to take a lot of hard work and sacrifice, and not sure the present generation that wants everything in an instant is willing or able to work long and hard at getting there.

Positives: I see a lot of the older generation being asked questions and volunteering to help out where they can best help at. This includes churches, red cross, co-op extension offices, etc. They see what is coming and are getting themselves in the best place they can be to help when needed. And they know they will be needed, just ask one!

Solutions: Got to get your gardens planted and the supplies to put things up like canning jar lids and such now. With the run on chicks and seed, you can bet there are going to be runs on jars and lids and such when Sally Soccer Mom tries to find some late this summer to can her garden with.

Get your grains now if you can find them and get them stored. And if you can't get the grains, at least get some flour and basics laid in. I know there aren't many vitamins and such in regular flour, but it IS better than not having any at all and I figure to take vitamins too, so it isn't going to hurt you to eat the stuff. I'd rather have that then to tell my kids/grandkids we don't have any bread cuz I didn't bother to stock any flour up. Also get some extra oils on hand. They are short here and going up in price every time they get some on the shelf. Last ones I bought were the last two they had and they were an off brand el chepo...2.59 each! They were 1.89 for the same stuff at Christmas this past year.

Another solution...get your spiritual house in order. Pray, pray, then pray some more. I spend more time praying..well more like just having a good old conversation...these days than I ever have before. Through all this hardship that is starting for DH and I, there is the silver lining that it is bringing us closer to Him and that is a VERY good thing!!

Oh geeze...didn't mean to write a book...better stop now lol!

Q

A very good book Quiltys. I hadn't thought to check out our local camp grounds and summer homes to see what is going on there. It's a bit early for our camping season but usually the summer homes are open by now.

I've been working along the same ideas for stocking up things like white flour and regular oils that I normally wouldn't consider and am finding there are NO good sales any longer. We will be eating less of all flour products this year and concentrating on cooked whole grains, and fruits and veggies. There is no law that says we have to eat grain every day if we have other foods as nutritious.

Good post.

bighug

Here's a Sign of the Times...

Just told DH I special ordered bags of wheat and he said eek how many? I said "I'm counting my folks too and if we can't get much from stores, how long will 25# of flour last?" (He is the best bread baker in the house, btw.) He computed and said, "Oh, yeah. That's good then."

woohoo

He's only come on board in the past months and it is SUCH a relief to work together. He's taking on the meat rabbit research and also talking of greenhouse possibilities which our pathetically short no-frost season requires.

Conversation with feedstore folks yesterday: They are calling their classes "Inflation Garden classes" ... a take-off on the wartime Victory Gardens. We discussed the unheard of delay in chicks...which has delayed delivery of my ducklings. Then conversation went on to the foods we all had on the farms we were raised on...how folks now expect it all to come wrapped and cooked for them...how we have to find ways to beat the inflation....and OH? You have 'taters that grow well at this altitude????? yumyum

It is SO exciting when people around you (esp. in the same household) GET IT cheer and are willing to roll up their sleeves instead of reacting with mecry

MtRider [soon DH and I will have face-to-face conversations with DD's & DSIL in Hawaii. Wonder how the Signs of the Times are showing there?]

We were at Wal-Mart the other day and it seemed there were hardly any customers in the store. A friends son works at that Wal-Mart so I asked him if business had slowed. He said for the past week they've told employees they could leave early if they wished. Just not enough business that they all needed to stay.