MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mother

Red Flags for a Looming Crisis

I haven't really seen shortages here either but of course the higher prices. However, our local WM never has a lot on the shelves of anything at any one time. Good reason to get a lot on my own shelves!

gas is up to $3.45 a gal. rice at aldi was $1.19 for 2# we can still get some good deals but have to watch the gas we use.

I saw on the national news last night that the wild salmon on the west coast were dying and they REALLY don't know what is causing it. It was serious enough that they shut the fishing fleet down TOTALLY.....if I remember correctly it affected like............ (I hate "some-timers") 1000? fishing boats. They were talking serious shortages. It was on NBC nightly news. We eat canned salmon, so while in town I went by SuperCenter and the large cans of salmon were almost all gone.....was this due to shorage or just haven't restocked.....I don't know.

Two weeks ago hubby and I went to Sams and bought 100# of rice, and lots of canned goods. Last weekend we went out and stocked up on canned and frozen salmon. About a month ago I went to google and did a search of news stories that had words in them like food shortage, economic collapse, bank failure, etc. and set auto updates for it to email me daily.

It sends you news articles from around the world; that's how I got the hint about rice and salmon. I urge everyone to try it, it might give you a few days to get stocked up on those things that are getting hit before the masses here in the US hear the news.

On the other hand, I've also experienced several bouts of depression and feeling overwhelmed by all the bad news; until my next payday there's nothing more we can do.....and the feeling of impending doom is horrible. Yes, I'm praying a lot!

Thanks Leah - we went to Abbotsford and Chilliwack, B.C. today and Costco at the border on the way back - they had Rice, so got two 25# bags - it was $16.79!!!! I wouldn't say they had a huge amount, but they did have Basmati and Jasmine as well as this long grain. Guess all of us have to keep our eyes and ears open at this point. Bloomberg.com is full of stories on Rice shortages, people "panic buying" to avoid shortages and so on - not a happy scene! Thanks for the info.

balloons Welcome to MrsS, FlaGal

Getting the news alerts seems to have tipped you off well. Good idea. But DO monitor to see when too much is TOO depressing. The world has always had bad news but we've got the "advantage" of hearing about ALL of it now. Don't go into overload -->imobility cuz you can't do more. Take it one step at a time.

I suggest too: Take a peek in at the Humor Me forum once every day. It helps balance out the bad news. It's sure to make you laugh.

God will call you to do what you can do....not what you might wish you could do or what you might wish you would have already done. REALLY!

bighug

MtRider

Originally Posted By: whitewolf55
I saw on the national news last night that the wild salmon on the west coast were dying and they REALLY don't know what is causing it. It was serious enough that they shut the fishing fleet down TOTALLY.....if I remember correctly it affected like............ (I hate "some-timers") 1000? fishing boats. They were talking serious shortages. It was on NBC nightly news. We eat canned salmon, so while in town I went by SuperCenter and the large cans of salmon were almost all gone.....was this due to shorage or just haven't restocked.....I don't know.

i would think they're dying because the worst animal on the planet(the human) is trying to do what is best for them instead of letting them decide what is best for them..

Thanks Mt Rider - that's good advice. I'm heading off to the humor forum now! smile Have a good day!

I read here daily but I'm not much of a poster as you can see by my total. I wanted to share what happened today at my local grocery. A few days ago I ordered 25lb bags of dried sliced potatoes for my storage. Went to pick them up today and was talking with the gal that stocks the bulk bins. First she said my goods weren't in yet, that they had been having trouble for some time keeping the bulk items stocked. The thing she found the most unusual was they were having such a hard time getting in the rice. I really hope she didn't see the look of panic on my face that I felt in my heart. She just didn't seem to catch on to what is happening. Hopefully my potatoes will be in tomorrow and then I plan to order the large bags of flour.

By the way, gas here is $3.45 at el cheapo station.

dusty, thanks for the update and it's great to see you posting! Collectively, we all have important things to offer that will help the group as a whole.

Dusty, I can see you've been here a while but we haven't had a chance to welcome you so let me add my welcome5

I'm glad to see you posting. We really do need all the imput we can get here. I'mnot convinved that there is going to be an immediate all out breakdown in society but I definitely believe that it's going to be very tough soon.

Thanks for the input. Please keep posting.

bighug

RE: salmon;

Salmon run in cycles. The fishing was cancelled because the returning run was so low. Salmon have a 4 year cycle; hatched one year, swim to the sea. Spend 2 years growing in the ocean; return to the spawning area the 4th.

The salmon fishing is only restricted in Oregon and Calif. At this time, Wash. and Alaska salmon are actively fished. According to local news, the south fisheries are the only ones affected.

IMHO, people and news reports are unusually sensitive to natural cycles right now. Unless something else MAJOR occurs; this is 'much ado about nothing.'

After thinking about this for a few days I think a Red Flag is the situation in Texas with the FLDS. I think it is a possible two red flag event. One red Flag if the brainwashing sexual abuse is going on and another if TPTB are doing things in a less than legal manner. I am not there and I know only what I have read about what is going on. I also have no idea what the laws in Texas are for investigating such things. So I am not passing judgment I don't have enough facts but, to me either way the out come of this event will have a unmeserable impact on the future of our country.

We did a run to the Asian grocery in the big chitty yesterday. No empty rice shelves. Brown rice *maybe* a dollar more for a 50lb bag than last fall. It's from California. The imported Jasmine rice and all other imported goods were quite a big higher: not surprising given the value of the dollar. Found sweet rice flour cheaper than last time and cheaper than I could mill it!

The kid who helped us to the car looked at our two shopping baskets full of food and 200 lbs of rice. Perplexed, he asked "You guys having a big party or something?" We just laughed and said it was such a long drive that we didn't want to come back again for a while, especially in the summer when the chitty is so hot! Not far from the truth! (You should be impressed that we got all that in my little tiny Toyota. And we went to two more stores after that! smile )

So, here's what I think. The Asian population, at least in that city, is not doing a big stock up on rice. Otherwise, the kid would not have been so confused by our purchase and the shelves would have been emptier. I see panic and stress here: people lining up to see what's in the marked down meat bin and whole families coming to the case "Stock Up" sale so they can defeat the limit 2 requirement. There were none of those pained looks in the Asian grocery.

I'm just remembering how different parts of the country reacted after 9/11. We were in DC, about 5 miles from the Pentagon. I didn't see anyone trying to stock up on food, water, or gas. In the Midwest, where most of my family lived, there were lines and gouging at the gas stations. Not sure what all this means.

NMChick just the opposite happened here to me yesterday. I am in SW Washington state. My husband and I went to the asian store after dinner to check out the rice because of what happened to me earlier in the day.(see previous post) They did have plenty but we were talking with the clerk and she was telling us about the differences in rice types. Then she told us that if this was something we ate a lot of or had a big family it would be best to buy extra.(sure a great sales trick!) I asked her why and she said what they had in stock had just come in, they had been completely wiped out earlier in the week by asian families buying 15-20 bags at a time. These are 50 pounders! She wasn't sure about the ability to keep stock coming in because of the shortages on imports. She went into quite a bit of detail so I tend to believe her information. Needless to say we walked out with 200 lbs. Family and friends will call me a fool but we will eat rice!!

Ticker on the news channel (wish I was able to remember which channel, I think it was CNN but could have been Foxnews) this morning reported that International wheat stockpiles were at their lowest level in 30 years and US wheat stockpiles were at 60 year lows.

Joyfully,

Cheryl

fostermomma - You right, I for sure don't condone the FLDS lifestyle, but what they did in Texas is illegal and if they get away with it there then its only a matter of time before they target other religions and groups. rant

I read that about 450 lawyers are descending on San Angelo, offering pro bono services to all the children and wives. They want to make sure the .gov doesn't get away with ANYTHING! Makes me rethink how I feel about lawyers! TX has no state requirement for pro bono work either, so it is out of the goodness of their hearts that they are doing this.

I wonder what would happen if they decided that homeschooling was child abuse (and is that really so farfetched?) would they descend on a homeschool co op class & take everyone? Or a homeschool ski day? Or simply round up every registered homeschooler? I don't think the FLDS lifestyle is right, but there is such a thing as due process and fourth amendment rights.

Cheryl

This is one of those hot buttons here in Utah as polygamy is alive and well. I respect the right to practice whatever religion you see fit, it's the reason a lot of people came to American to begin with. It's a constitutional right. What about the children in this sect with their rights being violated? I don't agree with raiding the entire compound and seizing all the kids but I also don't believe one 15 year old child bride was the only victim either. Worship how you like but you must also obey the laws of the land. I'm relieved this didn't turn into another 'Waco'.

Dustyboots, thanks for your reply. It's strange, but it made me feel better. Rice is my main caloric food because I'm allergic to wheat (and don't want to get allergic to corn, which is something I can grow!)

So, even though I bought 200 pounds yesterday. I've decided to buy more white rice. It's not as nutritious as the brown we prefer, but it's something to eat. And in the very unlikely event we get a lot richer and the economy get a lot better, well, hey, I bet there's a food bank that would like to have the white rice.

But I can't do it this month. frown And I'd better start working on where to put it just in case I can do it next month.

http://www.hslda.org/docs/link.asp?URL=htt...Dmost%5Femailed

This is what is happening in California...So far Illinois is a liberal state for homeschooling but they are working on changing that. frown

bighug

Gas here is up to $3.35.9 a gal. Jumped atleast 10c since yesterday morning. 2 BP stations had NO gas, have no idea why.