MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Jules

Baby Prepper Concern: How Do I Calculate?

As the manager of my household I can eyeball it and tell what I need to get through a weeks worth of meals for a family of four plus critters, but how do I look at ALL the food stashed and calculate how long would that last me?

Examples:

A 25# sack of rice will feed a family of four for how long??

A tall can of yams will feed a family of four how many meals??

I would like to be able to calculate how my food would last us if it's just us or if my sister's family were to join us.

Thankyou for any suggestions. smile

As I understand it, if rice is all you have, figure a pound per person per day. In extremis, you can cut this in half, but your kids will be tasting random roadside weeds and nibbling at bugs.

A rocking-chair granny will eat less than a pound, while teenaged males will eat more.

If you have more than one kind of food, especially if you can add in any bits of meat, you can use less because of the wider array of nutrients. For example, I don't know the measure of corn a person would eat if subsisting off that alone for a day, but say it was one pound. If you could feed both corn and rice, you would need less than half a pound of each because they contribute different (albeit highly overlapping) nutrients to your diet. If your body feels a shortfall in nutrients, it will force you to eat more (even of a food that is devoid of that nutrient, if that's the only food available) in a desperate attempt to get the needed nutrient. This is a major reason why poor people in the US are much more likely to be fat than rich people are.

I do have a wide variety of food set aside, but I have no idea how to know how long this would last 4 or 8 people or how to ever ration the food out.

I don't want to be extravegant but I don't want hungry pilfering either.

Here's what I could be dealing with if something big were to happen right this very moment:

Four adults in reasonable health

one teen aged male

one teen aged female

one preteen female

one preschool age male

one large dog

two cats

a guinea piggy and a fish. (these last two being the lowest of my concerns of course)

As you can see, it's like feeding a football team. Ugh. I guess the fussy eaters would just have to get good and hungry to eat what's being served.

Okay, the teenaged male counts as two people. Any adult male under age 40 counts as a person and a half, as does any pregnant or lactating female. The preschooler counts as 1/3 person, probably more like 1/4 person. The preteen female counts as 1/3 to 1/2 person depending on her activity level and appetite. The large dog is 1/3 to 1/2 person, probably. The cats have to be counted separately, since they will need/want much more meat but eat tiny quantities.

If rice were served daily and prominently in the diet, but you had plenty of veggies and a little meat every day, you could probably guess that bag might last five to seven days. You might consider serving an unnecessarily monotonous diet at the beginning, by the way, to encourage people to go out and forage or to spend some effort processing other food despite the tedious labor involved. This might also help encourage the moochers to move on to greener-looking pastures.

Firstly let me say Thankyou for letting me pick your brains!

Now am I reading this correct, I am figuring like this:

Four adults plus teen male and teen female count as 7 people, and the two youngest make it a total of 8 anyways by averaging the highs and the lows for caloric needs. Right?

I know the dog's caloric needs are higher than the two youngest kids.

The cats are easy to figure for, and all pet food is measured out anyways.

Now, how do I go about calculating how long my stash would last?

For my family of 4, I use 1 or 2 cups of dry rice for a dinner. (Any leftovers are eaten for lunch the next day.)

http://www.barryfarm.com/How_tos/how_many_..._a_pound_of.htm

Rice = 3 1/2 cups per pound or about 10 1/2 cups cooked (each dry cup equals 3 cooked cups of rice)

So I would use one pound in 2 - 4 meals, you would use a pound in 2 or 3 meals...

So figure 100 pounds would last you about 2 months if you ate it every day.

Sound about right?

I figure a person needs 2000 kcal per day. The more active you are, the more calories you normally need. I've seen teen boys consume way more than 4000 kcal/day.

Rice has about 1500-1600 kcal/pound. All grains are appx the same kcal/pound, beans and sugar are also appx the same. Fat is a little more than double the calories being 3500 kcal/pound. Meat can vary depending on fat and water content. Fruit varies depending on sugar, water, and fiber content.

Adults should consume 45 to 65 percent of their total calories from carbohydrates, 20 to 35 percent from fat, and 10 to 35 percent from protein. The acceptable ranges for children are similar to those for adults, except that infants and younger children need a somewhat higher proportion of fat in

their diets. http://www.iom.edu/File.aspx?ID=4154

Dry, uncooked rice is about 8% protein, 2%fat and 90% carbs.

Dry, uncooked pinto beans are about 24% protein, 3%fat and 72% protein.

3 parts rice to 1 part pinto beans is 12% protein.

2 parts rice to 1 part pinto beans is 13.3% protein.

1 part rice to 1 part pintos is 16% protein.

You need the rice with the beans to make a complete protein.

You can do the same with any grain and any bean.

To calculate protein etc go here: http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts-C00001-01c217X.html

If you add milk, cheese, eggs or meat to the diet you will immediately boost protein levels.

Here are a couple of calculators that will give you starting ground:

http://www.providentliving.org/content/dis...-4070-1,00.html

http://www.thefoodguys.com/foodcalc.html

And if you want to make sure you're nutritionally complete: http://waltonfeed.com/grain/calc.html (I'm not sure if it's free or you pay to download.)

Thankyou for all the links and everything I need to think about. My ballpark guess before I verify by taking an inventory will be that I have about one month's food for at least four of us, the inventory will tell me how close I am to feeding 8.

I'll be reading each link and then starting up a binder.

I'm thankful for all the experience at hand here!

I like how there is a high level of accountability here but I don't feel like I'm keeping up with the Jones's. When someone is succeeding here, it's not at the expense of someone else.

Thanks for all of the advice and time you ladies took. Also for the links. Leah, I just downloaded them all to my desktop for offline reading. They are free.

Jules, I agree 100% when you said:

(SNIP)"I like how there is a high level of accountability here but I don't feel like I'm keeping up with the Jones's. When someone is succeeding here, it's not at the expense of someone else."(SNIP)

Everyone here is so very generous with their time and help. You can tell they all want the members here to succeed. I have never found anyone here hold back prepping information. In fact, they will go above and beyond the call to try to find answers to your questions. I know, because I've asked plenty of them. I just love this place and every single member here.

Gosh, I think I just gushed about Mrs.S. I think I might need some chocolate and salty chips as I go off to watch my favorite chick flick. Pass the kleenex...please. boohoohoo

Originally Posted By: CrabGrassAcres

Dry, uncooked pinto beans are about 24% protein, 3%fat and 72% protein.

Just to clarify: I'm assuming you meant 72% carbs?

Wow thanks, all of you, for so much information! I too, am trying to figure out how much I have and how far it will really go. I have used the LDS and other calculators that list mostly Grains, Legumes, Sugars, etc. and give you an amount to store for a year. But this is a different way to calculate.

Jules and Jeepers.....aw, what a nice thing to say! That's what I found when I arrived here a couple years ago too. You soak it all up and then pay it forward! laugh

MtRider [yanno -- I really stink at math tho.... sassing ]

When calculating, keep in mind that nursing mothers need a lot more calories than one would normally calculate for a woman.

My nursing days are over, and so are my sister's for that matter. No more babies for us unless a stork drops one off at the wrong house by mistake. wink When I was nursing I think my caloric needs were higher than when I was pregnant. Amazing considering my son was 11 1/2 pounds. :0

ITA with the nursing thing. When I was pregnant, I hardly ate anything, but when I was nursing, I could eat a whole pizza by myself, and then some. I heard you need 500 extra calories when you are pregnant, but between 750-1000 extra calories when you are nursing!! eek

Yes nursing is much different. When I was nursing I kept totes with snacks and bottled water in our rm, the nursery, and by the couch and rocking chair. All the places I may nurse. I can't believe I ate so much and managed to lose baby weight. Yikes!! This is some great info though. I've been trying to figure up stuff like this myself about how long things would last and what to store to round out our diets. This is so helpful. Thanks everyone for the links. I've been working out of my own head... thats not a good thing.