MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

oils?

What kind of oils do you buy -- both for everyday use and for stocking up? I currently use coconut oil for most things but it doesn't seem to work for brownies and it's pretty expensive, I'd like to supplement my beloved coconut oil with some typical vegetable oil. But I don't think canola oil is good for you is it? What do you fry chicken in?

Olive oil and I have some vegetable oil on hand for baking.

But then if I fry something once a year, it's a miracle. We stopped eating fried foods a few years ago.

Soybean oil, olive oil, (allergic to corn oil) I don't fry much and I don't deep fry anything. I oven fry, using a spray of olive oil. Fries come out crisp and nice and not a lot of added fat. I make a mix of vegetable and olive oil to stretch the olive oil unless I am making my Dad's Italian recipes, in which case it is all olive.

There is a lot of bad urban legend about canola oil. It's no worse for you than any other oil of similar fatty acid characteristics.

The Wikipedia entry on cooking oils is pretty good: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cooking_oil

At the house we keep peanut oil, refined and extra-virgin olive oil, and lard with a dwindling supply of Smart Balance shortening (can't find it anymore).

.....Alan.

Archived