MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Cricket

What are you NOT doing to prepare?

I'm not replacing my long-ago paid for 11 year old car. It still runs, but is likely on its last legs. While it would be nice to trade it in while it still has some smidgen of value, the thought of a car payment, even for a newer-model used car, makes my stomach hurt with the economy going downhill so fast. sick

DH's truck is also paid for, and is in good condition, so we will not be risking sudden total loss of transportation if my car breaks down.

No car payment = prep. grin

I'm still driving my 1989 truck. grin And will drive it till the wheels fall off. It's been paid for for a long time and with 4-wheel drive I figure I may need it if anything bad does happen.

wormie

John

I am not continuing to update my house. The updates would be cosmetic not functional, so they can wait. No new countertops or light fixtures, I won't be doing more than buying paint and spackle.

I have cut back hugely on my book buying habit. cry No more new books for me unless they are a gift!

OH NO NYDebbie....no more books DarleneSwoonawwman Yea....me too and this has been extremely hard for me....but it can be done. I have found if I can wait a few days, I usually can see why I REALLY didn't need it anyway. LOL! We are ONLY doing things to our house that NEED to be done. So much for the rest of it. I have even cut back on most of those extra "flowers" i normally set out......99.9% of what I plant this year can be eaten or fed to my animals.

We did NOT replace our central air conditioning, which had been planned for doing with the income tax refund. Instead, we bought a window unit, not cooling the whole house and bought some fruit trees plus put back cash for "just in case".

This was a big decision for us, one I hope we won't regret with the heat of summer in the south hits us full blast.

We also are NOT getting me a bigger van, my van is 2003, great condition and paid for...unfortunately, with our new additions, the whole family won't fit in it. But hubby has a good little pickup, so it's okay.

Originally Posted By: NYDebbie
I am not continuing to update my house. The updates would be cosmetic not functional, so they can wait. No new countertops or light fixtures, I won't be doing more than buying paint and spackle.

I have cut back hugely on my book buying habit. cry No more new books for me unless they are a gift!

hello kiddys..can you say "Library"...this is a wonderful place, it has free books..!!!

I would stop breathing before I'd stop reading...

I'm NOT buying a new car, too! Instead, I'm gonna have the engine rebuilt for my 1998 Dodge Ram (4X4) ~long ago paid for, but unfortunately not running.

I'm NOT taking a vacation this summer, opting instead to stay home & raise baby goats so that by NEXT summer we can have fresh milk.

I'm NOT buying any NEW clothes, but stocking up on used, sturdy clothing from a thrift store.

I'm NOT planting any of those "annuals" .....pretty flowers for the flower bed. Instead, any funds I have available for plants/seeds will be stuff we can eat.

Books? Well, I'm not gonna say I'm NOT buying any.....but I'll make sure I get a good buy on them when I do buy!!!

What I'm not doing to prepare..wow

sit down this could take a while

I'm not working out to get into better shape...heck any shape is better then nothing..

I'm not "planning" my preping, I'm just wondering around buy stuff that catchs my eye...bad bad boy!!

I'm not getting off my butt and doing the things I know need doing...

I'm not making my mind up on building or not..i bounce from piller to post on it...

And worst of all I'm not handling being alone..not at all...I'm not cut out for this... don't know what to do ...

I did buy a new truck...push comes to shove and the world goes to hell, they can have it back if they can find it... rofl it will be camoed and have a gun mount in the back!! grin

I'm not actively working to get out of this hole I've crawled into.. and I don't know what to do about it... I say I'm going to do whatever but I don't...I spend too much time sitting here at this PC cracking wise......

trip.... frown

You are right Trip, and there is lots of free reading on the internet too. Just remember to not fall for any crazy conspiracy theories and the internet is fine. laughkick

unfortunately I read fast. Keeping a page a minute reader in books is a big expense, and not one I'm willing to continue right now. The internet connection is cheap in comparison. coffee2

I am not buying a new bedroom set, something we had planned to do this year. Instead, we replaced our limping along electric stove with a propane cooktop and convection oven that can be used as a food dehydrator. The cooktop will work in a power failure.

We did not spend our tax refund. We put it in the account where we have put aside emergency funds--a year supply of mortgage payments.

Instead of buying books I now trade them at the used book store which gives you store credit for old books, so I keep going back and getting new ones in exchange for the old ones. Keeps space clear and gives me new reading cheap.

I guess I am also not thinking of anything else I'm not doing, LOL, but whatever it is, I'm NOT doing it!

I prefer the actual reading of a book NYDebbie and whitewolf55 but when gas gets too expensive that I can't/won't make the long trip to the library I'm going to get my books in free audio off the internet. I download them right to my MP3 player. I don't know if you can use Ipod's or not.

Check with your library if you're interested in such a thing. Our little library doesn't have it but our bigger ones do. I prefer the one called Netlibrary over the other I have but both are good. Let me know if you have any questions. I hope to NEVER have to give up reading but listening is a good second when you can't get to the library or you can't just sit and read.

The thing about annual flowers FLGardenGirl is you can often save seeds with little or no problem for next year.

One thing we're not doing is building an attached garage this year nor are we taking that trip we should be taking to California.

Not going into debt. Not hiring help to get this place fixed up. Not hatching a lot of birds this yr so I can keep the feed bill down. Not running out to buy scarce commodities at inflated prices.

Well, we skipped taking a cruise this year. We are postponing putting decorative stone facing on the front of our house and having faux flagstone coating done on the sidewalks.

Heck, we paid $425k for the house a year ago, put another $70k into remodelling, then another $10k into pool upgrades & now the house next to ours is for sale for only $330k so it's time to wait for more home improvements for sure! Luckily we don't have any debts & plan to stay here so eventually it'll be ok.

Originally Posted By: NYDebbie

Garage sale season is coming up! I've found lots of great books at sales for hardly anything! And some of them are even good for prepping - like gardening books or first aid books. grin

Originally Posted By: Tripwire

And worst of all I'm not handling being alone..not at all...I'm not cut out for this... don't know what to do ...

Oh, dear Trip. I know you will have some tough days. it really hasn't been that long since you lost your wife. Going through this during the dark days of winter dosn't help, either.

Maybe now that the days are longer and warmer(although you do live on the farside on nowhere - sheesh!) it will be some help.

You have lots of friends here who continue to pray that you will gain some measure of peace. grouphug

The biggest is not buying the little ones a horse. Stabling & care is nearly a mortgage payment and sure not a necessity for a 3 & 5 y/o. Postponed their riding lessons for a few months too.

Decided to stay put instead of taking on a bigger mortgage. Shelved home improvement projects, thankful mechanics & appliances are new. Pretties will have to wait

Pushed my wants vs. needs off into the future rollingeyes

i.e fancier sewing machine

new computer

new digital camera

etc etc etc

(sigh)

Neighbors came home with 2 new hondas last month, their car payments are more than twice the amount of their mortgage. No thanks

I pick up my books at a yardsale or swap with friends. No library thats handy

We also are not going to buy a new car. We are putting parts into a 1984 station wagon and now 1998 Dodge 4x4 is needing repairs. They better keep running because I am thinking horse for next ride, or like Deedra, hiking boots. We are looking at buying a house in town, which is p***ing me off, but trying to make since of moving 20 miles away and the gas prices. The house we are looking at does not have any AC and we are not putting it in. It does not even have a furnace and we plan on using the woodstove and it has electric heaters we can use if we need. I am planning on planting the whole back yard and even thinking of the front yard, but kids want a place to play, which I feel they can play in the street rollingeyes or we move to land where there will be room. We are not sure all will go through with the house loan and all, so who knows. I got rid of the dishwasher and if the dryer goes, then I will not replace that either. Frankly, my life is on hold and I spend too much time on the computer, but I am reading and thinking, and really just trying to decide which way to jump and how far. We jumped in 1996 and we bought guns, ammo, food, land without electricity, and moved across the country, and it was a mistake at that time. I want to make the right decision this time.

Originally Posted By: Dee
I prefer the actual reading of a book NYDebbie and whitewolf55 but when gas gets too expensive that I can't/won't make the long trip to the library I'm going to get my books in free audio off the internet. I download them right to my MP3 player. I don't know if you can use Ipod's or not.

Check with your library if you're interested in such a thing. Our little library doesn't have it but our bigger ones do. I prefer the one called Netlibrary over the other I have but both are good. Let me know if you have any questions. I hope to NEVER have to give up reading but listening is a good second when you can't get to the library or you can't just sit and read.

The thing about annual flowers FLGardenGirl is you can often save seeds with little or no problem for next year.

One thing we're not doing is building an attached garage this year nor are we taking that trip we should be taking to California.

There are some online books for free.

Baen (SciFi publisher) has some avialable for free
http://www.webscription.net/c-1-free-library.aspx
I like the 1632 series of books (a couple of which are in the free library)

Project Gutenberg has a bunch of free books
http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page
They have a bunch of old books in the cookery section
http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Cookery_%28Bookshelf%29
(Please note that some of the old books may have information that doesn't meet today's safety standards and be careful!)

We cancelled our vacation for this year - will do short camping trips to area state parks on weekends. Cannot do without books, but since we have great used bookstores close by and our Library has 2 annual books sales a year with great prices, plus, my personal favorite place for everything - Yard Sales! - I have plenty of books. Also giving up my annuals in place of flowers shared from friends' gardens - just today received some hostas, black-eyed susans, and pink yarrow! We are putting all extra money into food, outdoor cooking and camping equipment and extra clothing - all from yard sales. It is time to be even more frugal.

TRIP - thinking of you! Get out in the sunshine and be thankful of this day that the Lord has brought. May your heart be healed and your soul comforted.

{WormGuy: I'm still driving my 1989 truck. And will drive it till the wheels fall off. It's been paid for for a long time and with 4-wheel drive I figure I may need it if anything bad does happen.}

I've got a 1989 pickup truck too! Mine's a Chevy S-10. I bought it from a Birmingham AL police officer who had to sell it because he had another truck, only one of his trucks would fit inside his garage, and Birmingham's city council had just passed an ordinance prohibiting curbside parking. So I got his truck cheaply.

I've been using it, too. Before I got it, it didn't have all those dents in the bed from having firewood logs tossed in there. Which reminds me that it's about time for me to do that again. frown

"TRIP - thinking of you! Get out in the sunshine and be thankful of this day that the Lord has brought. May your heart be healed and your soul comforted." I second this thought. You need to give yourself time to grieve, but you also need to look around you and see life. We are here for you.

Trip - it hasn't been long and I can't imagine how hard it is. Please know we're here, but reach out to your real life friends too. It's important to be around people and not holed up on the computer.

((((Trip))))

Oh Trip... I so do understand.. perhaps a Bereavement might be helpful.. you can talk to others going through what you are going through.. heck just talking about it helps.

anytime you need to talk..I am always available.