MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Need suggestions on how to prepare my 30#s of Salmon filets.

I just bought 30# of fresh salmon filets. They are beautiful. How should I preserve them. What's the best way. I need help with this. I already have over 100 cans of salmon from the store, so, I'm not sure I want to go that route.

Should I slice it into servings, dry it, then vaccuum pack it? or can it in soup? Hmmm, this is a nice piece of meat so I'm not sure what to do with it.

Until I've heard from y'all, I've put them in the freezer.

I don't eat salmon so I don't have any ideas for you...just know that home canning fish takes a long time in the pressure canner...longer than regular meats.

Hi, cleanheart! Try this! Great with cream cheese and any kind of cracker. My sisters sampled it and ate a jar apiece! Turns out very solid compared to store bought!

Fileted and skinnned salmon

Salt

White vinegar

Tomato ketchup

Wide mouth pint jars (Ive used regular but harder to pack)

For my altitude - 12# pressure for 100 minutes but worth it!!!

Put 1 tablespoon of white vingar and 1 tablespoon of ketchup into each jar

Cut salmon in pieces and pack into jars leaving 1/2 headspace. (Don't have to precook) Using your fingers, gently push down on salmon to remove air bubbles. Add 1/2 teaspoon of salt to each jar. Place heated lids and rings on - per manufacturer instructions. Process at pressure for you altitude for 100 minutes.

You may use trout and steelhead as well. Can be used in any recipe calling for canned salmon or tuna. We love it on crackers with cream cheese, as I said. Definitely worth the time to process!!

Yeppers, 100 minutes for pint jars (1 hour 40 minutes) and 160 minutes for quarts (2 hours 40 minutes).

Yes, I've canned seafood before and it's come out awesome, but almost 3 hour processing time is a long time lol.

100 minutes did seem rather daunting. My gas stove is very touchy so I have to keep my eyes glued to the pressure gauge. I sat in front of that stove through 2 batches! But, oh, my goodness, I have never tasted anything so good! Besides, while doing all that watching, God was giving me His undivided attention - amazing how prayer can make a canning project speed by! Hugs1 Shari

Oh, wow, Shari, that sounds so goood. I'll try it. I've frozen it. So, I'll do a 15#box.

yes, I agree with the praying. While I was clothesline today, we had a good conversation.

Thanks Shari, I'll let you know how things go.

• 11 years later...