MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

So, what did you plant today?

At the end of the day, when my body is hurting and exhausted, remembering the things I did accomplish in the garden today, helps to curb that fatigue and turn it into joy.

So, let's share the things we got planted or at least attended to today...

Today, I got the last 6 tomato plants in the ground. I planted 2 rows of pickling cukes and 2 rows of regular cukes. I did 2 rows of okra, 6 rows of eggplant, 2 rows of peas and 2 rows of those flat pea things that I can't remember the name of off hand cause I'm too tired...lol

How 'bout you?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still slowly digging here. My arm is not better. It's going to be a long....long....hard go but it's not even planting time here. I have a couple more weeks. (In cold country, you get the garden in by Memorial Day)

I'm not planting veggies either, but the time is approaching quickly! I'm spending my time getting the normal suburb part of my property looking good. I figure it'll get me ready for the veggie planting!

I did plant 6 ferns and 6 hosta, I got them very cheaply and they'll look good in the shady bits. Also I've been spreading grass seed in the places the dogs have killed the grass.

I've been busy in the last 2 days. I planted 12 broccoli starts, 6 cabbage starts, 7 potato hills, onion bulbs, 3 hills each of zucchini, butternut, watermelon, and pumpkin, 5 cucumbers, beets, carrots, and parsnips. I can't wait for it all to come up. YUM!!!

In the past three days I have:

Planted out 6 Early Jalepeno plants with a plastic mulch for heat

Planted out 8 Tomatoes (4 Viva Italias, 4 Legends) with red plastic mulch for heat/sunlight refraction

Planted out 4 basil starts

Planted out 6 brussel sprout plants in the shelling pea patch

Moved the cukes, zukes, and winter squash out from the grow lights into the greenhouse to start hardening them off. Covered the squash growing hill in plastic to start warming the soil up this week.

I got 14 tomato plants, 6 bell peppers, carrots, beets, peas radishes and cucumbers planted yesterday. I had more things ready to go but DDIL was sick and asked if we'd watch DGS. So, my day of gardening ended about noon but Jaxen and I had a good time.

We bought some bedding plants at the nursery a week ago, and have had freezing weather since. The chard, radishes, cucumbers and yellow and green squash are doing good in the raised bed, but don't have the "roots" bed dug the last time. And today it is finally RAINING!! It looks like the cold weather has gone at last, so there is still hope.

Dora

Darlene---six rows of eggplant?? That is a lot of eggplant. What do you do with that much? I love it but I don't do much with it. coffee2

And a row is how long??

Inquiring minds want to know---

My rows are only 12' long so they're fairly short. I need to see progress fast, especially since every section I do looks like I've barely done a thing lolol.

I planted that much eggplant because...well I dunno why, other than my mom loves it...rofl I did 3 different varieties just to have fun. I guess she can freeze it. Actually eggplant parmasian is awesome but I guess you only need just a few eggplant for that...rofl I've never grown eggplant so I dunno how much it produces...if I have a bumper crop, I'll take it down to the farmer's market and sell it there. I garden organically with only heirloom seeds so I would think some people would be interested in that.

So far today, I got in 6 more tomato plants (that makes 41 plants), 12 basil plants (I use a ton of basil in canning), 3 flat leaf parsley plants, 2 curled leaf parsley plants, 1 thyme plant, 1 cilantro plant and 4 pepper plants. I also planted 17 watermelons so far.

I had put an ad in recently for canning jars. I had an older lady that will sell me a dozen for $3 so I'm going to get a few dozen from her. She makes a little purse money and I get some more jars.

DarleneSwoon

I'm all planted save for 2 cuke bushes that need bucketing. They are in starter peatpots and I just got the bucket recently. Now to figure out where to put it?

Been picking Nanking cherries all this week. It's a battle to get them ripe & picked before the birdies find them!

Kids love eating them and the ripe ones are tasty! The not-so-ripe ones are a bit tart/sour but still not bad.

Busy day today trying to get things out before it starts raining again tomorow. DH and I put out another 10 tomato plants...5 mortgage lifter and 5 Amish paste (heirlooms). We got a couple of eggplants put out since I have a hankering for eggplant parmesean. feedme

Then we did one 24' row of okra and 4 20' rows of purple hull peas. We have onion sets coming tomorrow (2 lbs. worth!) and still waiting on my sweet potato slips (36 of those). Then I will be done until fall when it will be time for green peas, radishes, and turnip greens. Whew...I'm tired lol!

Q

Well, I got 6 more tomato plants in the ground, 28 sweet potato starts and 36 cabbages planted.

That was it for me today...and it finally rained a little bit. Hopefully enough to make all my plants happy!

So far I have in:

One row each of spinich, lettuce and peas.

16 cabbage plants

8 broccoli plants

Have started working on two 4'x4' areas for beds for strawberries and asparagus. grin (DBF's NOT happy--more *stuff* he has to mow around. Told him if he didn't like it then he didn't have to eat the stuff. rofl He said he guesses it'll be ok--just keep them close to the other *weed* garden so he can mow around all of it at once.

Originally Posted By: DoubleD
...Planted out 6 Early Jalepeno plants with a plastic mulch for heat

Planted out 8 Tomatoes (4 Viva Italias, 4 Legends) with red plastic mulch for heat/sunlight refraction

Dang, DD. I've been thinking it's too cold to plant this stuff! Our lows are in the upper 30's and low 40's and highs typically only 60. Are you warmer than that or am I being too cautious?

I purchased some chard starts a while back and realized there were multiple plants in each hole. Today I separated them out to about 4 inches apart. I think this is still in line with the Joy of Gardening intensive wide row theory that I use. I have chard growing from seed as part of a salad variety but I wanted some separate. I'm such a sucker for seedlings. busted

In the last few days, I've planted carrot, beet, and parsnip seeds. I also found a gap in my salad row planting so I put in some pak choi seeds. I filled in my Italian and French salad mix with more seeds since there were gaps.

This is my learning year since I've always used seedlings before. I'll get the hang of how to plant seed yet!

You are just me green with envy! With us moving I haven't been able to plant anything other than lettuce and artichokes. But we have now had 3 means off the lettuce and it is still growing by leaps and bounds. I can't wait to get the tomatoes transplanted and plant pepper pepper plants.

I have it all worked out in my head I just have to get laid out on the ground now.

Okay, no one in my area has any onion sets!!! Even the co-op sold out in three days!!! I checked the nurseries, walmart, lowes, co-op, etc...NONE! Hopefully a friend will be able to send me some from the NW in the next week. She over ordered, thank goodness.

Next, my sweet potaot slips are missing! Shumway sent them out on the last friday in april!! By UPS! Here is is may 9th and still no slips. Now get this...the nice lady Jennifer that I talked to said since I ordered in January, mine got shipped. Those that ordered them after around the first part of March got cancelled, because THEY RAN OUT OF THEM!!!

So if mine show up dead which is probably what will happen with this much time passing, there will be no replacement order and no sweet potatos for us this year, which bites big time because I have one jar left.

There was a place in town to get them at a Mennonite greenhouse, but for some reason they have all pulled up stakes and left the area without word to anyone????? So today while I am out, we are going to get what seed we can (not much left here) for next years garden because this does NOT look good!

Q

Quiltys, my co-op got a bunch of sweet potato sets in yesterday. If you want me to, I'll go over and buy some and send them to you.

Let me know, and as quick as you can because I'm sure they'll sell out too...lol

Originally Posted By: Ferretma
...Planted out 6 Early Jalepeno plants with a plastic mulch for heat

Dang, DD. I've been thinking it's too cold to plant this stuff! Our lows are in the upper 30's and low 40's and highs typically only 60. Are you warmer than that or am I being too cautious?

It has been too cold - unless you use season extending techniques! The beds of peppers and tomatoes that are planted out have a plastic mulch (green heat plastic for the peppers - and red heat plastic for the tomatoes) and then the support cages are installed and then finally - a cover of clear plastic over the whole bed (using the cages as support in this case - but I also use my hoops as well for other plantings). The plants are warm enough in this "greenhouse" environment to get through their transplant shock and start developing a good root system in their new location. When the weather get's nicer the plastic will come off and they will be off and running. I have one more bed of tomatoes to plant yet - waiting until I harvest all the spring spinach planting to be put into the freezer - so that I can remove the spinach and amend the bed and cover with the red plastic etc. I am hoping to harvest, chop, blanche, and freeze the spinach this weekend and get the bed prepped for the last of the tomatoes and one ONE lone little eggplant that I have (a gift from a friend).
The plants are warm enough in this "greenhouse" environment to get through their transplant shock and start developing a good root system in their new location. When the weather get's nicer the plastic will come off and they will be off and running.

I guess I had never thought about that aspect! I was just thinking that you stick them in the ground and they take off.

Since I haven't started planting seeds indoors and then transplanting to the garden (I have to figure out how to keep my pesky ferrets away from them!), I will be buying them locally. I've seen lots for sale, as well as the peppers and basil - and melons! And I know of people who are planting them too. It seemed to me that they would be stunted by this "cold" weather so I'm glad my instinct was right.

I have so much to learn about veggie gardening.

Thanks!

Well, I didn't plant anything today...I was letting the ground rest from the rain last night.

But, I FINALLY got my mowers back so I mowed...

And mowed...

And mowed...

Finally the little old man who lives down the road came by and said that the grass was too high for me to be trying to mow it with my mower, so he's going to bring his tractor over tomorrow and do it for me...now isn't that just TOO SWEET?

I'm going to make him and his wife some cinnamon rolls tomorrow. He never lets me pay him.

I also tilled up a flower bed in front of the front porch. I don't wanna waste money on buying shrubs and flowers right now, so I think what I'm going to do instead (just to get some color and plant life out there) is plant some sunflowers and wild flowers.

Tomorrow I wanna plant some more in the garden...I need to get my corn IN already.

We've been busy trying to get stuff in the ground- it's been too wet, or too windy (we did pasture planting too), or we've been stuck at the hospital, so we were down to like a WEEK to get everything in before leaving for my older son's graduation (I'm typing this in a hotel in Minneapolis MN- there's still freakin' ICE on the lakes north of here DarleneSwoon

so we needed to get stuff in since by the time we get back May 14th, it'll be too late for us to plant with much chance of it surviving the heat of summer.

-we sowed native wildflowers and grasses (shade/moisture loving) along the creekbanks for erosion control

-we built 8 raised beds- little starter ones 4X8 feet, but stuffed 'em full of stuff- I'm kind of an 'intensive style' gardener lois so we've got in cantalope, watermelon, corn, onions, green beans, strawberries, razzberries, oregano, basil, cilantro, rosemary, lavender, chamomile, asparagus, paste and salad tomatoes, snap peas, sweet and hot peppers, cukes, radishes, 3 kinds of lettuce, 2 kinds of carrots, yellow and blue squashes,soup beans mustard, collards, assorted flowers (marigolds, black eyed susans, daylilies, sunflowers, tiger lilies, hollyhocks, peonies, morning glories)

THEN

we finally got the pasture disked (not plowed cuz it's on a hill) and scattered a BIG ol' sack of native grasses, forbs and legumes that are either perennial or free seeding for almost year round rotational grazing, and smaller sacks of native buffalo grass for the high traffic paddocks and native wildflowers along the driveway area that won't be fenced for critters.

I'm excited (and a little skeerd) to see what all is up and growing when we get back- our veggies were already up before we left, and also the creek bank seeds happy02

Yesterday I put in half a dozen tomato plants, 9 green pepper plants, 9 each sweet and hot bananna peppers - I've still got sweet potatoes, more peppers, canalope and some herbs to go.

3 climbing roses against our ugly old chainlink fence. 5 hosta on the North side of the house.

started a bunch of tomato plants, planted some chives in pots. My horseradish, catnip, spearmint, oregano and chives are doing well in their pots.

Well we were going to put in our potatoes today. Dh went out to till the patch up and the tiller broke AGAIN. mad So will have to figure something out... crazy

I did pick up some celery, cabbage and lettuce plants today though...hopeing to get them in the smaller garden tomorrow if the rain holds off.

I planted 600 corn today, 2 rows of potato onions, 2 rows of egyptian onions and 6 rows of carrots.

I can't walk.

DarleneSwoon