MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Cat

Red Flags for a Looming Crisis - PART 3

Our gas has jumped literally 25 cents this week alone....it wasn't just the holiday either. Gas is now $4.08, $4.18, and $4.48 for regular mid-grade, and supreme. This is at an ARCO. If you go to a 'name brand' station like Shell, I saw prices that were $4.28, $4.48, $4.68, and diesel was $5.14.

My jaw was hanging open. Has anyone else had to cut back on other expenses to pay pump prices?!

I've been meaning to run across town to Trader Joe's for some supplies and haven't done it because it's the ONLY store I need to visit...YIKES...

Amber, do you recall if Winn Dixie carried canning supplies this time last year? From what I understand, jars, lids, etc are seasonal. While I've seen lots of canning supplies at Wal-Marts and 'Fred's' (poor man's Wal-Mart around here), but jars etc only, no canners.

I'm wondering if various stores carrying supplies is a normal seasonal thing or something new (or their inventory is larger?).

Mtn Mama

I have been coming to this Winn Dixie for twenty years. I have never seen this quantity or variety of canning supplies.

Amber

When I went to the accupuncturist she said the gas station attendant told her gas would b $7 a gal by the end of summer!! Gas was at 4.15 a gal here last time I filled up.

I'm going to have to ride a bike the 12 or so miles to college in the fall, because we can't spend that much on gas for a 6x trip (back and forth, 3x per week). Our fuel bill for the car last month was $500...talk about shock and awe!

We decided to fill the gas cans, & the subruban & the other vehicles (figured it was only going up.) In one week we just spent $398 on gas. I would love to go garage saling today. Can't afford to!

Joyfully,

Cheryl

Only go to garage sales that are in walking distance now or might stop if I'm driving past one...

My daughter-in-law called me this morning almost crying. She and my son grew up in years of plenty. Even tho my son was raised by preparing parents who had seen the face of poverty, it never quite struck home. For my dil, she has had no preparation for this kind of thing at all.

Anyway, she called me, very angry and upset. She said, "It cost me $4 for ONE GALLON OF GAS!!"

Um...yes, Sweetheart. That's what it costs now.

She's been trying to make a list so that they have 3 months of food on hand, but she hasn't been able to get her mind around having THAT much food! Yikes! says she.

After putting the gas in her car, she told me she didn't know what she was going to do if she had to make a choice between gas and food for her kids. Food prices for good food is so high, she's been buying prepared and boxed foods, thinking she's getting more that way. Now that she's thinking along the lines of nutrients and storage, she's just so overwhelmed. She's been having bad dreams of bombings and loved ones dying and trying to text her in their last moments alive.

This is really hard on the young folks who have only seen plenty. They don't even know how to *think* that there might not be enough at some point.

But my kids are trying. At least they are trying.

This is so hard on the young people. frown

It is hard for us who are young. You are very right, we grew up in the years of plenty. While both mine and my husband's family are thrifty it is still hard doing without the small luxuries that we're used to. Now that my husband and I are married and have kids it's really tough. There's no way for me to even think of getting a job to help out. Between being young with little job experience, having a toddler and due any day now with another, and my husband's hours we just can't do it.

And yes we are quite young, I'm 21 and hubby is 27.

it is hard for us youngings. My DH started working in town a few months ago and we've definetaly noticed quite a bit of a crunch on our finances. But I've becomed nearly obsessed with the whole "prepping" mentality that I think we'e doing somewhat good. Plus we started container gardening and made plans for a bigger garden next spring. We're slowly changing our mentality about our lifestyle and are becoming more comfy with being busy homebodies rather than going out. Having friends over is so much more enjoyable for us!

its a bit of a challenge to adjust but I think our generation will be fine and up for the challenge!!

MrsC, you and your husband are the same ages as my son and his wife. So good to hear from you. I'll be watching your posts, to see if there are things I can be more helpful with concerning my grown kids.

Prairiegirl, thank you for that encouragement! Actually, I think I'm going to pass that on word for word to my son and dil. I think they are up for the challenge too...and as soon as they quit swallowing all the water they think is going to drown them, they will swim just fine.

I was in Winn Dixie today (the one I use to work at) talking to friends that are managers there. The General Merchandise mgr. said she got tags today and toothpaste went up a $1. Sales are down over the store. Friends also said they heard on the news that cooking oil, laundry soap and fabric softener is going up.

Oh dear, well I'm off for a big load of stuff tomorrow. Hopefully it won't be too late to beat some of those prices!

Oil and Laundry soap are on my list.

Shurleen,

My husband and I are in our 30's and we both vividly remember the 80's recession as children. We were old enough to see the 'lean' with the 'plenty' from the late seventies into the early 80's. We both wore hand-me-downs and weren't from wealthy families.

It does hurt to see friends (even the 'wealthy' ones who drive SUV's and have nannies and eat out EVERY DAY!) stop and ponder, 'Ummm....why is the gas bill so high? Oh you mean they really MEAN that gas is $4 a GALLON?" I've been with friends who have been over their VISA limit due to gas prices or have called me in a panic asking what they do with NSF fees. . .one recently dissolved into tears because she just realized that she really doesn't know how to cook.

It seems that many of Gen X & Y have spent waaayyy too much time in front of the tv, nintendo, or pc that they have genuine trouble relating to the world around them. As you have so astutely stated, they are just now going on 'tilt' and into startle response mode. . .I wish more of my friends were trying. So many believe that their problems will be solved by applying for welfare, taking out a loan (Ummm, has anyone else noticed that banks aren't giving loans anymore and private student loans have stopped as well?!)

I have a serious notion that WSHF I will have more than a few show up on my doorstep or be crying on the phone in stress....

I had to get gas today. I paid almost five dollars a gallon for diesel. Anyway the two people working there where talking about their last days they would be working because they can't afford to drive to work anymore. One of the two is my next door neighbor. So for the first time I actually know someone who can no longer work due to the gas prices. I asked what he was going to do and he said he wasn't sure but he lost money for the last two weeks working. He lives with his parents so hopefully they will be okay.

She's been having bad dreams of bombings and loved ones dying and trying to text her in their last moments alive.

I have been having bad dreams of tidal waves. It is really sad too, because my life is a big tidal wave right now.

I grew up with parents who both grew up poor and were determined not to live that way. Anything frugal they had learned was rejected and it was spend, spend, spend when I was a child. My mother couldn't even stand to have the same furniture for more than 3 years. I got to hear how lucky I was, but nothing about how to survive in hard times.

Needless to say I am learning this all on my own.

I have to agree this is hard for the young people. Most of the young people are the ones that don't believe anything is going on or can't concept preparing for it. Most of my friends either don't think anything will happen or don't want to think hard enough to prepare for it. I think the hardest thing for me is the change of lifestyle I wanted for my kids. We didn't have a whole lot when I was growing up and I'm use to being thrifty and dh didn't grow up with anything so it doesn't bother him. Only thing is I wanted to give my kids things I never had or got to do when I was younger. I didn't get to do activities, events, or anything and I really wanted to let the kids do baseball, dance, etc. Let them be active and have a fun childhood that I never got. Now I'm worried about the outlook of the world I realize this may never happen and its depressing. I just get upset at the fact that I hoped to provide my kids with more than we had and it looks like they may end up with even less than we had. Oh man.

Michelle,

My kids are grown. I'm here to tell ya, kids can be active and have fun without paid extracurricular activites. Heck, my boys could have fun digging a hole and making it into a fort!

So don't worry, my friend. The kiddos who will be unhappy are those whose mommy is always telling them they are deprived, rather than richly blessed. bighug

Michelle I know what you mean about hoping to provide more than we had as kids. I sometimes worry about that too, since my finances never seem to have enough for summer camp or lessons. I had a dad with $ and a mom who was dirt poor so I saw both sides and lived with both. I know it hurt my mom a lot to not be able to give me what she wanted me to have in terms of activities. I did get to do some things because of my dad. But you know what? My mom actually gave me more because she spent time and energy on ME. Not on things or outside activities. We read books as a family every night, she took us to the library, to concerts in the park (free), nature walks, did art projects with me, and exposed me to culture on tv like ballet and classical music. Not everything worth having costs $ bighug Just be there for your kids and it will be enough!

A Newsweek article I read this morning spoke about how bad it is probably going to get. And I can't find a clothesline (umbrella kind) anywhere. I've been using my folding one and it doesn't quite hold 1 load of clothes. Plus it isn't all that sturdy.

ibelieve, was it the article about the Coming Energy Wars in the Newsweek? I found that one online, but wanted to make sure it's the one you're refering to.

http://www.newsweek.com/id/139395

The red flag I noticed today was that, although I live in a fairly bike friendly city and lots of people bike, there were so many people biking today. The sidewalks were crowded and I wasn't about to take my kids in their bike trailer on the bike lane on the road. I'm just not that trusting of drivers. On a normal day, I see quite a few bikers, but today they were everywhere...us included. The bike racks are full and it's hard to find a place to lock your bike. Maybe it was just the most beautiful day we had today, but it just seemed strange.

DH even brought up that we should be biking everywhere we go in town, from now on. We need to get our physical stamina up so that we can do the 9 miles into the old town part of the city. That's where all of the free concerts and festivals are all summer long. I've also been noticing more and more people waiting for the bus in the mornings.

Just now we have been watching the world news. It's been on forty five minutes and I have counted ten references, in one way or another, to the rough times we are having now or are going to be having in the near future. One was about the food crisis, one about the oil and gas and the effect that a hurricane could have on it.

bighug

Grace&Violets, yes, that was the article I was refering to. It is going mainstream now. Maybe now people will start to see that I'm not nuts. Like family.