MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Cat

Red Flags for a Looming Crisis - PART 3

My home depot can't keep hardware cloth garden fencing in stock. Last year there was a big section of it when I went to buy the 2ft tall type to kep my dogs out of the roses.

Double D. Like you I have known this was coming for a long time but it was some of your posts that helped me see why it was coming. I want to thank you for them. Knowing and seeing it actually happen are two different things. Like you, I find it very unsettling even though I feel fairly confident in our sustainability.

The floods in the midwest are only adding to the stew and speeding things along.

P2bM. Thanks for the link. Our chickens are also free ranging but our winters are severe and they will need more than what they find if a deep snow cover comes. During the tough times of the seventies we managed to keep chickens on leftovers, sour milk, sprouts, and etc and we will just have to go back to doing it again.

My red flag today was at the Farmer's Market. I was amazed at number of people there who were selling products that were not foods. Soaps, jewelry, baskets, pottery, etc were much more evident than produce by about 3 to 1 and a large share of the food sales were baked goods. Very high priced baked goods. I saw $8 for a small pie today. I am even surprised that they are allowing these non-food sales. That has not been allowed before. What produce was there was a bit higher than last year, understandably.

Some of this could be chalked up to late garden starts or even flooding in the area though we have no major flooding here. I wonder though if some of it might be because people are keeping their produce for themselves. If that's the case, it's a good thing as it means that people are getting on board.

bighug

I heard this on the car radio this evening.

A new car sales place is offering with the purchase of a new car:

*Free oil changes for 3 years

*Double the trade in value on your car up to $3,000

*Gas at $2.99 for three years, any kind, any station

*More than glad to have you trade in your huge gas-guzzling rig

Talk about desperate. frown

Closing this very long thread and charging ahead to number 4...

Red Flags part 4

bighug