MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Cat

Red Flags for a Looming Crisis - PART 3

Originally Posted By: Grace&Violets
In fact, we are really regretting our decision to send DS to kindergarten last fall. He turned 5 after the year started and he's been showing he wasn't ready all year. DH and I feel really bad for our decision, now.

Grace & Violets,

My youngest was an early 5, and boys are just not ready to sit still yet at that age. We elected to have him repeat kindergarten. We wanted to make sure he would not be struggling throughout his school years. It was the best for him, and made a huge diffference! Something for you to consider. bighug

Theres an article on MSN about GM closing plants and may stop making the Hummer because of high fuel cost.

Originally Posted By: maw
On Saturday I went into a 'No Frills' grocery store and was walking by the canning jars. Last year the 1 litre jars sold for $8.99/case of 12, this year they were $12.99. The jam jar size were $5.99/case of 12, this year they were $8.99. I went looking in the secondhand shop (Value Village) and they are selling all sized jars for $1.99 each! Guess I'm going to bite the bullet (gas here is $1.29/litre) and do some yard saling.

......sigh

Maw, I know, sticker shock here too! eek

Be sure to check out estate sales too! My grandma is giving me her jars and I feel terrible for having totes and totes of jars in the basement, but thankfully, my DH doesn't mind. He has seen the quality of food I can and now sees it as a necessity.

I will be praying you find what you need affordably.

Also - have you asked for friends and family to keep their eyes open for you? I've also done a trade where ladies collect jars and I swap them pretty candles. smile There's more than one way to get what you need!

I sw this first in our local paper right next to several short blips about Ford preparing to fire U.S salaried white collar workers ith possibly 3,000 jobs gone; General MOtors said Thursday that 19,000 workers, a quarter of it's hourly workforce will take the companies buyouts so they can hire cheaper labor; Sears' results well short of expectations; and US food prices will rise a stiff 9% a year through 2012.

U.N. Predicts food prices will stay high.

http://article.wn.com/view/2008/05/30/UN_p...will_stay_high/

There are several food related links on this page. Some are just down right chilling. Even more at this link.

http://article.wn.com/view/2008/05/29/No_e...ood_crisis_FAO/

The rate things are going many people will have to send their children to school so they can be fed (some do now) but I can't help but wonder WHAT will be in those school lunches.

bighug

Originally Posted By: Mother

The rate things are going many people will have to send their children to school so they can be fed (some do now) but I can't help but wonder WHAT will be in those school lunches.

bighug

I am sending my kids back to school. Two meals a day at school is what they get -- free for me. That is a lot of savings.

Another red flag. We've talked about this before. The RV industry is a good barometer of the economy.

Winnebago has just announced it's closing one of it's plants, the one in Charles City, Iowa, that manufactures the class C, (the smaller, van type of motor homes) because of lack of demand. They predict that Class A and Class C motorhome sales will be 42% lower this year.

This closure only affects 270 workers but the ramifications this implies goes way beyond that. It tells us that the economy is seriously in trouble. A forty two percent cut in sales filters down through a multitude of industries and having this happen just at the supposed highth of the camping/travel season says even more.

Only one good thing in this. It means the transition has begun to using less fuel and perhaps that will make a bit of a dent in demand and hopefully the price.

bighug

[quote=Mtn Mama

It isn't about making the kids grow up too fast, it's about breaking their loyalty or sense of belonging to their family. In a Marxist paradigm, 'families' mean 'ownership' and, by extension, kids and wife are the 'private property' of the father and that mean old patriarchal system. For the 'bidness' community, babies in day care mean more women in jobs and more revenue for the dotguvs and more social disorientation which means politicians have more 'victims' to 'save'.

Yeah, I know it's bizarre and complicated and if you want to get me a tin foil hat, go ahead.

But that's the deal.

tinfoil

Hey, that tin foil hat of yours is just my size, because I know that you are speaking the truth!

Just got my WinnDixie sales flyer for the new week and it has a special attachment. It says "If there's one lesson we have learned from the past few year, it's better to be prepared"

This insert has bottled water, gatorade,canned tuna, bleach, charcoal, paper plates, even gas cans and coleman fuel...plus more. This kinda surprised me. We're in central Alabama, not exactly hurricane country. Of course we do have tornadoes come through.

I wonder what it's going to take to open up the eyes of some folks...they're not blinded, they are just stubborn and refuse to see what it right in front of them.

Here is a real sign of the times: typically on my way into work I notice approximately 2-4 people riding motorcycles to wherever they are going and I usually see maybe 1 or 2 people on bicycles.

Not this time, today I passed the same number of motorcyclists but saw more than 12 different people on bikes! Wow! Big change, I guess I'm not the only one making this change before it breaks the home bank.

We were not the only ones this weekend putting in raised beds or gardens. Our neighbors across the street added to their garden space and the neighbors caddie-corner did the same. I saw very little flowers (unless they were marigolds for keeping pests away) and LOTS of markings for veggies.

One neighbor boy watched in fascination as my husband and I build the bed and filled it...he had never seen cucumber plants & squash plants before..."Oh wow....you mean people actually will grow their own food?" Umm...yes.

The atmosphere over here at the moment seems to be really tense.As if something is building.

The shops are empty,noone seems to have cash to spend where I live,not even on essentials such as groceries.

The mood seems to be changing too,and not for the better...

Generally people round here seem to get on well but arguments seem to be flaring over nothing.When you go out anywhere people are rude and ignorant and it seems to me, just a hair away from totally losing it!!

Worrying times indeed.I don't feel as safe as I used to and I'm not the only one round here feeling this way.

I've moved some of our preps to a spot less obvious in the house and am keeping my head down frown

Hi Crazy4, I have asked friends and family but get some pretty strange looks (they are not into prepping... sigh) but I did get an email from a friend of mine that works at an auction barn and they got in a truckload of jars this week. I now know where I will be this Friday night!

Dee, is there anything specific you can point to that might be causing this tension? And how long would you say it has been building? When did you first notice it?

Originally Posted By: Shurleen
Dee, is there anything specific you can point to that might be causing this tension? And how long would you say it has been building? When did you first notice it?

I just told another board I am on about this same problem around here in Chicagoland... Jobsite's, stores, on the road... It's everywhere. People are getting nasty about all kinds of things that in the past they would have just shrugged off, they are now bitching about big time. I was at the hair stylist and some girl actually started yelling at the shampoo girl because the water was too cold and I mean yelling. It was ridiculous. Eating at a very high end restaurant last weekend one of the waiter's stated screaming at busboy right in front of the few customer's there. On my construction sites, they are all getting nasty. Some of the bigger outfit's have been sending faxes and emails stated that the nasty behavior is not acceptable and will not be accepted, one incident was last week was a very racial one that was actually brought to one of the union's. This does not normally happen except a few times a year at most. There have been enough incidents in the last month that the faxes and email's starting going out, we got 3 of them faxed and 2 emailed all from different companies. It was not any of my guy's, but all the Union Shops on there bidder's list were sent them,

One project management company is so evil right now, that even in today's economy a $900 K job was only bid by 2 of the 4 invited. No one wants to work with the company because they are blaming you for everything even though most of the problems they have bought on themselves... They are literally screaming at people on job sites, my guys on the job we are finishing up for them now have been instructed to use emails to cover your butt, don't even talk to them if you can avoid it. We have worked with this company for over 40 years and never had issues like this... Prices are up, budgets are used up, and people are afraid they are gonna get the ax. It's all so sad how people are starting to react, hopefully this first wave of anger will give way to a better attitude, but it's not gonna be anytime soon. Gonna be a long hot summer, and winter is going to be even worse IMHO...

Kath

eek Vipper I'm so sorry to hear its like it out there too! Thats just what I'm talking about.Normally mild mannered people screaming abuse at each other over trivial things.Fights breaking out.

Shurleen,It's been building over here for months now.People have been taxed to the point where they can't be taxed no more.Now we have mortgages going through the roof,companies/jobs folding and on top of this everything from gas to utilities to groceries are costing so much more.Pretty much same as whats going on in America.

Frighteningly young kids are drinking/drugging themselves to oblivion and stabbing/shooting each other if they are 'disrespected' when they have no respect for themselves let alone any other human being...

Society here just seems to be breaking down no matter what the politicians are saying..

I'm feeling very uneasy about things and it takes an awful lot to rattle this old bird! I'd better get me one of those tinfoil hats happy02

It's my belief that tension results from pressure. Pressure frequently comes from other sources, but it still results in tension. (Either good or bad) and not everyone performs at their best under pressure.

I bet we see these things more and more in the future as everyday people are forced to develope new coping skills and adapt to our quickly changing world. Remember stories of fist fights at gas stations when we had odd/even days and fuel rationing? Stuff like that.

Originally Posted By: Crazy4Canning
We were not the only ones this weekend putting in raised beds or gardens. Our neighbors across the street added to their garden space and the neighbors caddie-corner did the same. I saw very little flowers (unless they were marigolds for keeping pests away) and LOTS of markings for veggies.

Even I put in a small vegetable garden this year. I also called a local farm yesterday about their community supported agriculture program and I got a call back this morning saying they still have some shares left! banana It'll be $600 (if I get a full share, it's $350 for a half share) but every week I'll get a bunch of vegetables (and some berries, too). I'll have to put in 10 hours helping weed or do other work, but it'll help me learn about growing stuff. I'm leaning towards getting the full share and canning stuff and/or sharing with my parents. If it goes for 20 weeks, it's only $30 a week for lots of fresh locally grown stuff. Plus if/when TSHTF I figure it'll be good to be a known customer of a local farmer instead of just another desperate suburban mom scrambling to find someplace to buy stuff.

Now i just need to see about getting a canner and some jars & lids....

funkyduck, that sounds like and excellent opportunity right about now.

MtRider

I went grocery shopping today, and headed for the meat department to buy my usual chicken drumsticks and thighs. I buy these because they are the least expensive cuts of chicken. I buy my packages (about two pounds each) for about $1.50-$2.50.

My jaw dropped on the floor when I saw that the prices for these same packages rose to $5.00 a pack. For a small pack of chicken drumsticks! The store brand! That's more than double! These are the prices that the better cuts, like boneless chicken breast would cost, and I couldn't afford those. That's why I buy the drumsticks and thighs.

I did notice that the whole chicken fryer was $5.00 too, so I got that instead, which got me to thinking if the price on the cheaper cuts were raised because that's what everyone's buying nowadays.

I don't eat meat very often, but this is making me think about going vegetarian all the way.

I found this story http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/06/02/...in4147576.shtml

CBS) Snapshots of suffering in a small, southern town reveal a daily struggle for survival.

"Are there days that you …" CBS News correspondent Seth Doane began asking.

"That we don't eat?" Liz Thomas said while standing in line at a food pantry. "Yeah."

"Why is it getting more difficult?" Doane asked.

"Gas prices. Milk is just as expensive as gas these days - it's just really hard," food recipient Stephanie Smith said, tearing up. "I'm sorry."

Most of these people never imagined they'd wind up waiting in a food line.

"I think the best thing that people can do is stand back and pray - pray for better times," recipient Cynthia Graybill said.

Pray - and pitch in. People come from all over the county - the ones who don't need help volunteer to help those who do.

One volunteer, Wanda Stinson, said: "When they hug you and say 'I have one can of corn in my cabinet for the rest of the month,' you go to bed that night saying, 'oh thank you, lord, I was able to help that family.'"

The mobile pantry, and the others they've had in Dover, Tenn., was made possible by Second Harvest, which loaded up about 10,000 lbs. of food 90 miles away in Nashville.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Learn more about Second Harvest's effort to feed the hungry at its Web site.

Read more about this story and the series at Couric & Co.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For the organizer, getting the word out proves to be its own challenge.

"There's probably been, like, 40 people who've had their phones disconnected since the last time," said organizer Linda Hagen. "I think they're giving up their phones for food and gas."

One local factory moved to Mexico - another just canceled a shift. And the number of families signing up for food has almost doubled since last October.

In line, Doane met a woman named Georgia Bumpus. She started cleaning houses when she couldn't find an office job, but now she's become a luxury.

She said: "People have said, 'well, can we afford to have a housekeeper? when we might, you know, need that money for gas or for groceries ourselves.'"

Stephanie Smith had to leave her minimum-wage job because her salary didn't cover the cost of her commute and child care.

"This is hard to have your kids watch their parents go through this," Smith said.

The lucky ones are on one side of the table, giving out the food. But they know there's not much separating them from the other side.

"The scary thing is, it could be you," said Kelli Garrett of Second Harvest of Middle Tennessee. "We find so much more that folks who said I never thought that this would be me, I never thought I'd need food are needing help."

"Did you ever think you'd be standing in a line like this?" Doane asked.

"No," said Bumpus. "And it's humbling. It's humbling."

Humbling or not, there won't be a line to stand in much longer.

The state money that funded the program runs out at the end of the month. And that hasn't been renewed.

preparing thats such a sad story.

I think a lot of the problem is to do with the fact that its the 'middle classes' over here being hit the worst,and they're not used to going without *stuff*.

I've always been skint lol so its not much different to usual here!

But seriously,many people like us, who have worked hard in not necessarily well paid jobs to own a home and maybe have a holiday once a year,run a car etc,these are the people really being hit from all directions.

What scares me is the amount of people I know who just don't know how to cook a meal from scratch even,let alone grow stuff!

These are the people who are really suffering as they really don't know what to do to cut costs.

I've also kept my last 10 grocery bills to keep an eye on prices.My local supermarket is playing a good game at the moment,taking produce off the shelves for a couple of weeks,after selling it cheap,then restocking it at up to DOUBLE the price..The latest shock was the cheapy cheap rice going from 43p to 97p in one go DarleneSwoon So anything thats listed at unusual prices I'm stocking up on!!! It's worked so far wink

They used to sell bread 2 for £1.20,then it crept up to £1.40,£1.80,now its £1.14 a loaf..I make ours and have a stockpile of flour which *at the moment* is still cheap so I get away with a loaf for 32p,but I don't know one single person else who makes theirs so how are they coping???

Dee *off to order more flour...just in case!*

I just spent 70$ on 4 boxes of cereal, a gallon of milk, a cataloupe, 2 packs of frozen carrots,and a package of chicken nuggets!!! HOly cow! (Yes I know make from scratch, but I have a deadline for an order for my business right now and I need every minute I can spare to finish this order)