MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

*smile*

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

Everyone please welcome Mare, as the new moderator of Reporting for Duty...

I can see that this is a very special forum for her...one that is near and dear to her heart...

Thank you Mare, for offering to moderate this forum...

(((((((((((((((Mare))))))))))))))))

*smile*

Guest Guest

My thanks to Darlene for allowing me to moderate this forum. And thanks to the rest of you for the welcome.

I'd like to just tell you a little about my history, and why I wanted to moderate this forum.

My father served in Active Duty for 30 years. At age 16, without a father, and with 6 brothers and sisters to feed, he lied about his age and enlisted. He started as a Private, and worked his way through the ranks, at some point going to Officer's Training School. He commanded troops on the front lines in WWII and Korea, and their safety was his first concern. He was respected, and thought well of by his men. My Dad also served as Secretary to the General in charge of Army Headquarters Europe, in Heidelburg, Germany. I was born during his second "tour" in Germany.

I grew up on Military bases, and my Dad raised us kids VERY strict, by Military standards.....which probably explains my serious nature, and obsession with being on time!

I married an enlisted soldier in 1976, and we were immediately sent to Germany. He was stationed at a small NATO Kaserne, and I found work at the Kaserne too, at the small Exchange, (like a small store for essentials). I loved serving the soldiers from seven different countries.

We were very young, and got to know alot of other young soldiers, most of them on their first enlistment, and away from home for the first time. When they had "War Games" exercises, the buses would bring those who had supposedly died during war, back to the Kaserne. They would head over to the International Other Ranks club and drink, and be silly. It really hit me one day that this could be REAL, that these kids really might not come back someday......that these exercises could be real...and today, they are real.

At Thanksgivng and Christmas, we would invite single soldiers from the barracks to spend the holiday with us. The guys would chip in for a turkey and wine, and I'd cook all day long. We'd have a great dinner, and the guys always volunteered to clean up the dishes.....and I knew that they truly appreciated having a family atmosphere and home cooked meal for that special day, instead of a lonely meal at the mess hall.

I remember so well the sad faces when there was no mail at "mail call." I also experienced that feeling when I lived in Arctic Alaska with no family nearby, and only newly formed friendships.

I was later divorced, and eventually moved back near my family, but the Military has continued to be a part of my life. My Dad is gone now, but I still have the priviledge of going on base with my Mother. In January we were at Nellis Air Force Base at 5 PM when the bugles sounded. I stood there, beside the car, with my hand over my heart, and tears streaming down my face.........and I felt like I was home again.

I feel a fierce loyalty to these young men and women who risk their lives daily for the freedom of this country. Now that I'm in my 40's, I see just how VERY young these kids are.

There are a number of people on this board who have served, and who have gone to war. I've never done that, but I have seen the military from the perspective of an Officer's daughter, and an Enlisted man's wife. I've lived among the soldiers, and said tough goodbyes. My heart goes out to parents, wives, children, brothers and sisters, and friends who must painfully say farewell to their loved ones who have been deployed to the Middle East. In this small way, I would like to serve them.

If you have a friend or loved one who has been deployed, let us know, so we can get a care package, or letter sent out to them. These men and women are sacrificing family, jobs, and futures for us, and they need to know that they have our support and gratitude.

Thanks to everyone who reads and posts to this forum. Please help me make it a success.

Warm Regards,

Mare