MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Living on preps....NOW.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: susie
I wonder if you could make homemade pasta with powdered eggs?

Yes, you can. I have done it a few times just to make sure it would work smile You can also add in a lot of other things to the pasta to make it taste different. Try spinach, sun dried tomatoes, parsley, lemon, roasted garlic, basil, etc. your imagination is the only limit. I have been playing around a lot with pantry pasta's and sauces. It is amazing how many things you can come up with.

Kath

I used to have an old Sunset magazine with recipes like that for pasta. They put flowers between sheets of pasta and pressed them together, making beautiful lasagna noodles with transluscent

flowers in them. (basil leaves, cappucine, thyme flowers, as I recall)

Reworking our preps due to new food allergies. So glad I've got time to experiment before the really hard times come. Learned to make rice milk, rice milk "ice cream", new oatmeal, spelt and rice flour recipes. I don't mind making things by scratch- next goal wheat free pasta.

Originally Posted By: PureCajunSunshine
I have gained 15 pounds just by reading Susie's posts in this thread alone.

*sigh*

I was thinking the same thing! Way to go Susie! Guess I'd better get a bit more creative with what I store and serve!
Originally Posted By: John & Joan of Ark
Reworking our preps due to new food allergies. So glad I've got time to experiment before the really hard times come. Learned to make rice milk, rice milk "ice cream", new oatmeal, spelt and rice flour recipes. I don't mind making things by scratch- next goal wheat free pasta.

We've had to rework a LOT since wife was diagnosed celiac. Sometimes it seems that gluten is in everything (many semi-prepared foods such as MH and MRE's, anyway), but there are options. I still have many more buckets of wheat than of alternatives such as quinoa, but I expect it'll find a use.

If you still have some folks in house without the allergy and plan to use wheat etc. for them, don't forget to have a second grain mill to avoid cross-contamination, and do any grinding of wheat etc. outside to avoid airborne issues.

My daughter has celiac disease and corn intolerance. I cannot give her anything that is NOT made from scratch. Even if the label looks ok, lots of times she will react to something. Probably hidden in "natural flavorings" or some such. She cannot even have meat from the grocery because they inject some of it with "broth" that has gluten. I cannot have MSG but don't have celiac.

I have two electric grain mills. One for me, one for daughter.

Somewhere around here I posted a really good wheat-free pizza recipe. It's from the Bette Hagman's Gluten Free Gourmet Book and the recipe is for a thick-crust pizza. It has egg whites in it but powdered egg whites work fine. If you can't find it, PM me and I'll send it to you.

I am allergic to wheat and corn. I can eat gluten...but not wheat, LOL So if you want any prep recipes for something you haven't worked out yet, let me know. I've been cooking this way for years. (Also allergic to chicken, grapes, oranges, turnips, mustard, and milk..so I've worked out a LOT of stuff)

(Yeah..multi grain mills. My porch looks like a milling assembly line...)

Originally Posted By: John & Joan of Ark

Titus 2 has a LOT of gluten free recipes, lots of the families there seem to have similar food allergies. Hosted by the MOTH folks.

Mo7

So far today, we had crap cereal (sugared cornflakes) and Parmalat boxed milk for breakfast.

For lunch I melted canned butter and olive oil and fried a fresh chopped onion with garlic powder, mixed dehydrated herbs (chive, parsley and shallot), and salt and pepper, then I fried the leftover cooked raviolis in that. They were better today than they were yesterday. I sprinkled grated canned Gouda cheese over them.

There was so much soup leftover from yesterday that I threw in a handful of vermicelli pasta and we had the rest of that, too.

Today there is no school for the little guys, it being a Wednesday, and plus the big ones are finished for the summer, so everybody is in and out all day, snacking on dried apples and dried fruit cocktail and previously frozen yoghurts nd cakes in jars and bread and peanut butter and orange juice.

Tonight I'll open up a big jar of canned salmon (I buy frozen pacific wild salmon, no head, for a bit over two euros a kilo and can it, which is three times cheaper than buying already canned salmon). Mixed bones and all with breadcrumbs, egg, onion, then shaped into patties and fried and served with tartar sauce...either on bread or with rice.

I still have to think about a dessert.

This has been a lazy day. Well, a stressed day, when I was too busy to make the effort to cook much, or even to think about balanced meals.

Crap cereal (again!) for breakfast, with Parmalat UHT milk.

Then for lunch, I splashed some chorizo oil into a frying pan and threw in a drained jarful of potatoes, and a sliced fresh onion, after a while I added half a can of cubed corned beef, served it with fried eggs and a bottle of ketchup and called it lunch. Orange juice and codliver oil pills, too.

We are having way too many of those fresh eggs, and so there won't be any left for cake-making.

AND way too much Nutella! My littlest wanted 'pure' bread...all white, no bran or oatmeal added....so I made a loaf for after school and all of it went, along with two liters of milk and an entire pot of Nutella. Blek, I feel sick!

This evening's meal was rushed, too...I found this funny spaghetti that looks as if it were one of those springcoils inside of a ballpoint pen that had been stretched out. When it was cooked and drained I mixed it with canned butter, salt and pepper, and a small handful of freeze-dried mixed herbs (parsley, chives, shallots, and garlic). Then I opened a jar of mini hamburger patties in onion soup and chucked them into a pot, liquid and all, with a jar of spaghetti sauce. Another jar into another pot was corn canned with green and red peppers and onions.

I THINK they ate it. I went up to bed and left them to fend for themselves (which is why now I can't sleep and I am typing this at one thirty in the morning). From the looks of the rubbish on the table, they must've eaten the remaining chocolate Easter bunny, too.

My pasta recipe is 2 cups of flour. Can be 50 percent white and 50 percent any other finely ground flour.( I have used all WW flour also.)

1/2 cup liquid- can be eggs, water, pureed veggies or veggie liquid.

Make a nice dough. wrap and Let rest for up to 1 hour before rolling out and cutting.

I make a double batch for main dish meals.

I was just thinking about trying to make them with a powdered egg substtute that I bought 50 pounds of.

Originally Posted By: CrabGrassAcres
LOL, did in the Easter Bunny, did they? Did I tell you about when daughter found the chocolate stash and ate a whole pound before I caught her?

Whenever I look at your goose picture I think of the story my Mom tells about the time they were very poor (in Germany after WW2) and scraped together enough for a goose for Christmas. The family went off to church for services and left a cousin home to watch the cooking of the goose. When they got back, they could not find the cousin, but found that most of the goose had been eaten. Turns out the cousin went into hiding after having begun to just nibble on the delicious meat, and nibble more, and then more, finally then figuring that she was going to get in trouble anyway, ate almost the entire thing.
Originally Posted By: veggiecanner
My pasta recipe is 2 cups of flour. Can be 50 percent white and 50 percent any other finely ground flour.( I have used all WW flour also.)
1/2 cup liquid- can be eggs, water, pureed veggies or veggie liquid.
Make a nice dough. wrap and Let rest for up to 1 hour before rolling out and cutting.
I make a double batch for main dish meals.
I was just thinking about trying to make them with a powdered egg substtute that I bought 50 pounds of.

Would eggless pasta work?

This morning I felt as if I had to give eberyone a good breakfast, so we had hot oatmeal made with milk and sprinkled with brown sugar and cinnamon. I found a bottle of guava juice to drink with it.

For lunch I made something that we used to eat a lot of when I was a kid in Hawaii...I fried an onion in fat and then added the other half can of corned beef from yesterday, a big handful of rehydrated peas, and a can of chopped up tomatoes. Plus a splash of soysauce. Later I added a big splash of ketchup, too, and simmered it for a while and then served this dish over steamed rice. In Hawaii we use tomato sauce, but we don't have that here, and this year I have none homemade. Dessert was a pineapple upside down cake and the last of the vanilla ice cream from the bottom of the freezer.

Scottish shortbread cookies from a box and cold Parmalat UHT milk was the afternoon snack.

For this evening, as everybody has been in and out all the time, I gave up and used an entire loaf of freshly baked whole wheat and oatmel bread for sandwiches...half of them tuna and mayonnaise, the other half duck rillets....force-fed duck, salted and cooked down into tender, meaty, fatty, delicious dregs. Diluted grenadine syrup to drink.

So far, nobody has come home, yet, and two kids are eating over at friends' houss. So the sandwiches are in containers, and will probably be tomorrow's lunch.

If I tried to eat like Susie here in America, I wouldn't have money for bills.

At the beginning of the month, I used sales to make out a shopping list. I made a menu for two weeks, used preps and tried to buy some fresh vegetables and fruits, as well as meat and wound up broke for the rest of this month. Sure, we ate well for two weeks, but at the cost of the rest of the month. Even when looking at my menu, it is high on quick inexpensive convienance foods, and low on taste. LOL.

I can't afford fresh herbs and spices. So most of the things I make go unseasoned unless they come out of the can seasoned.

For breakfasts we have cereal, pancakes, oatmeal, scrambled eggs, omelet, granola with yogurt. With berries, or canned fruit. Juice or milk.

For lunch it is soup, burrito, spaghettios, chili, pbj, grilled cheese, hot dogs, or sandwich. With some type of grain, like taco chips, bread or chips, some kind of fruit, and a vegetable (either with dip or with the main dish).

For dinner it was a main dish, corndogs, barbequed, grilled or roasted chicken, taco salad, fish, chicken salad, sub sandwich, hamburger helper, hamburgers, meatloaf, roast, quisadillas. With a salad, baked beans, green beans, red potatos, carrots, cucumbers, orange slices... and juice or milk.

Nothing fancy, nothing that took a long time to cook (other than the chicken or roast, and even then you just plop it in the oven).

I made sure each day was balanced by adding nuts, fruits, vegetables and dips and other things to snacks.

Like I said, I spent way too much money, and don't have enough to even buy milk and bread the rest of the month.

So much for making a balanced nutritionally, menu~!

These menus are what we are eating right now...and they are all made with preps that I've been gathering for the past few years.

The only fresh foods have been eggs and a few onions. There have been frozen fruits from the bottom of the freezer, but no other fruit other than canned or dehydrated...I'm beginning to be concerned over a lack of fresh and alive foods. We all miss salads and ripe tomatoes and cucumbers, canned greenbean or lentil salad can go just so far. It might soon get to the point where I will kill for a piece of fresh fruit or a crunchy lettuce.

The freezer is pretty much empty, although the cupboards have lots of home-canned and bought things such as meats and vegetables and fruit. I have a good stock of flour and boxed, dried, and canned milk, too. Plus tons of pasta, rice, semoule, cornmeal, oatmeal and so on.

The feedstore has been the source of dentcorn, popcorn, wheatberries, bran, millet, alfalfaseed, cloverseed, barley, and birdmix and pigeonpeas, which I have yet to be brave enough to try to cook.

Two winters ago, when I got my dehydrator, I went to the supermarket and bought the biggest soup in the entire world...I filled two shopping carts two meters high with every vegetable I could buy....potatoes, celery, cabbage, carrots, beets, zucchni, leeks, onions, frozen peas and greenbeans and broccoli....and dehydrated it all. Now all I have to do to make soup is to open a few boxes and have a medly of different vegetables ready to flavour the soup du jour.

Last winter I got a good deal on potatoes and carrots and canned a zillion jarfuls. The kids can no longer distinguish the taste of canned potatoes.

We have a local pick-your-own where we go to get tomatoes and peppers, apples, kiwis, and pumkins, and all gets dehydrated or canned.

A nice man at the local farmer's market let me buy forty heads of cabbage for a good price at winter's end, which got mostly canned for soup. The foodbank sometimes gives me meat, which gets canned or frozen. If I have extra $$$, I buy meat at the discount stores and can it.

With the exception of cooking on purpose to have leftovers for another dish, there is usually just enough on the table for everyone to fill their bellies with one good serving of each item. The rule is that if you take it, you have to finish it.

The kids are sick of oatmeal, and even more sick of soup.

Hi Susie - We've begun using our preps, though not for ourselves, really, beyond our normal rotation of in and out to keep the supplies fresh.

My sister and her husband are hitting it very hard. For the record, let me state they are not the grasshopper variety, but rather worker ants. He was a realtor/small home builder who literally has not taken in a dime for almost two years. They had substantial savings, and no home mortgage. In the last two years they've used their savings for everything for health insurance premiums (972.00/month for a family of four - he's self employed, and thus pays the entire premium!) car repairs, utilities and daily living expenses. They were, honestly, fairly prepared all things considered.

But how many of us can truly live for two years without a paycheck and keep the utilities on and food on the table? Honestly, I know I couldn't. SOOO... in order to help them stretch what little they have left to insure there is money for gas to get from one job interview/home showing to another and other necessities, we are pretty much providing their daily food and consumable needs.

We have been replenishing it, albeit slower than we are consuming it, but my husband and I talked it over - they were there for us in our times of troubles years ago. I also had begun a year ago prepping to include her family as well.

Long answer to your question - yes, we are using our preps. But mostly to help a family member in dire need.

My brother in law, by the way, is insisting that I run a tab - he's had two offers on houses in the last week - the homeowners rejected, but it's a good sign. He says that the first home sale he has, he's paying us back every cent, and then wants us to help them prep - for a financial crisis if nothing else!

susie, do you have a balcony or even a window where you could hang a windowbox? You could grow a few heads of lettuce in small containers...you could also put a strawberry plant or two in...you might get small harvests...but, sometimes a fresh strawberry or two can boost your morale...and pack more nutrition into your diet. Also...how about sprouting some of those alfalfa seeds if you're not already doing that?

Susie that is awesome that you were able to get so much fresh produce to dehydrate! Almost all produce here is over 1 dollar and much of it over 2-3-4 dollars a lb. In fact when I see ANYTHING under 1 dollar a lb I buy it.

We don't have a Upick around here. We DID have one, but Luke AFB Bureaucracy and Avondale or Glendale (I forget which) short sightedness did it in. They said it was "Too dangerous" for people because it was in the flight path of Luke AFB. Well Hello! So are lots of houses, and other businesses. That Upick had been there for years with no problems.

I used to pick carrots and strawberries, broccoli and lettuces there.

Now, I have to figure out a way to get raised bed gardens in my back yard.