MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

I tried the homemade Laundry Soap.....

Well I made a batch of the home-made laundry soap yesterday! This time I used 1 bar of Ivory, 3/4 cup each of Washing Soda and Borax as the video stated. I also added 60 drops of Lemon essential oil, and 100 drops of Orange essential oil. The mix kind of smells like a Creamsicle pop. Nice!

I also made up some fabric softener. Everything is in the dryer right now, so I'll let you know what I think of it all.

By the way, I have used Zote to make my laundry soap before, and it was really hard to mix back up after it separated. I got frustrated with it, and threw a bunch of it out. Maybe it was the quality of the well water back then.

Oh yeah....using a paint mixer on my drill to whip it all together was a great idea!!!

cheerclothesline

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, more praise for the homemade soap.

My husband spilled glycol coolant (like anti-freeze) down the front of his jeans...eeewww. Literally, they feel slippery. I washed them ALONE with 3/4 C of soap and the FIRST time through, they came clean!

When I had my top-loading machine, I would have to wash these dirty pants 2 or sometimes 3 times with cheer. With this soap, only once!

My dad tried it on some nasty construction clothes and they also came clean the first try! He gave me an old detergent container and said, "Hey, kid, would you mind filling this up for me? I'd appreciate more of that great soap!"

I am trying something new. I saw online where you take Ivory bar soap, put in the microwave and it will puff way up. Yes, it does, too ! Was fun. When it cooled and dried, it just crumbles into flakes. So, I am going to mix with the other dry soap things and use it for laundry. Next, I did the same with the Fels Naptha. While it doesn't puff up as much, it still does. Same thing, you just crumble with your fingers and it is powder ! If I put in the Cuisinart I am sure it would be really powdery. So, I think I may be onto something. I don't like the globby liquid stuff. If it stayed smooth, that would be Ok, but it doesn't.

Off to mix up my soap concoction !

wow. how long did you microwave the Fels Naptha for? I am thinking maybe I can start microwaving my bar of Zote instead of grating it in my food processor...no more lumps in the soap would be great,and also no cleaning the food processor...

thanks!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've been using homemade powdered detergent for several months now, and it's working fine. I researched quite a bit, and because washing soda is so hard to find and making it just adds a step to the process of making it, I came up with the following recipe:

1 bar Fels Naptha soap, grated

1 cup Borax

1 1/2 cups Baking Soda

I just mix it all up dry in a clean peanut butter jar, and use 1 - 1 1/2 tablespoons per load. Shake the jar to mix everything up well before you add the detergent to your washing machine. Because it doesn't melt well in cold water, and I always wash in cold water, I put the detergent in the machine first, run it on hot water for 30 seconds, then switch to cold wash/cold rinse, then add my clothes. I haven't noticed any dinginess, but I do "cheat" a little by adding bleach to the whites about every third time I do a load. Clean clothes, clean smell, pennies in my pocket from the savings...what's not to love? smile

I've also tried making dishwasher detergent. I found a recipe online that called for 1 cup baking soda, 1 cup borax, and 3 T of Fruit Fresh. I tried this one, but my dishes just don't get clean, so I guess it's back to the drawing board on that one. If anyone has a good dishwasher detergent recipe, please post it.

Hope this helps someone.

I think I got it on here, but I have been using 1/2 cup Borax to 1/2 cup washing/baking soda. Leave it in the powder form. My dishes have been coming out looking good. Now watch, someone is going to type in that I was wrong and that I am not really cleaning my dishes and that everybodys gonna die of food poisening.>.... Am I right?????? Come on who's it gonna be???????

:ROFL:

I'm waiting....

• 3 weeks later...

Our laundry room uses a tumble front loading washer, and that alone is more efficient. We have very hard water, I add 1/4 cup fabric softener and can cut my soap & borax ( 2 dry powders) to about 1/2. I sometimes add "Oxy-clean" a powdered Hydrogen peroxide, it aids in the soaping action. fot tpough stains, I find Amway's "TRY-ZYME" pre soak a good chioce, 1 box lasts me 3 years!

I like the formulas I see above to laundry soaps. I have never seen fels naphtha soap around here, guess I could ask!I wonder If I could make my own fabric softener??

I really like these forums, and am enjoying learning as i read!

Originally Posted By: Carmen
I was looking at WAlmart, and they carry Zote's Pink Soap..any difference between this and regular Zotes? Would this be fine in place of the Fels Naptha?

I think the only differences between the pink Zote and the white are the fragrance and the size of bars (at least at the stores around here, the pink bars are about half the size of the white ones). I've used both - I make the powdered version - and had no problems whatsoever.

WOW.

Y'all forgot to mention that when you "blow up" the Ivory soap in the microwave...#1, it gets HUGE!!!!, and #2, it STINKS!!! LOL... My whole house smells like hot soap now.

But on the flip side, it was much easier to make the powdered version...

GOODMORNINGFALLCHAIR.jpg

Here is a place on line where you can buy Fels Naptha Soap. smile

http://www.soapsgonebuy.com/Fels_Naptha_Soap_p/d1001.htm

Here is the recipe for the laundry soap.

http://www.endtimesreport.com/laundry_soap.html

FELS NAPTHA LAUNDRY SOAP

Amount Measure

Ingredient

Water

Fels Naptha Soap bar, grated 1/3 bar

Washing Soda ½ cup

borax (Boraxo) ½ cup

Preparation Method

Measure 3 pints of water into a cooking pot. Add 1/3 bar grated Fels Naptha laundry soap. Cook over medium heat until dissolved. Stir in: ½ cup Washing soda, ½ cup Borax. Stir until it thickens like honey. Remove from heat. Pour 1 quart of hot water into a two gallon bucket, stirring in the thickened soap mix. Stir and mix until well blended. Cover and set aside for 24 hours. It will gel up.

Use ½ cup for each load.

This formula makes a laundry soap "gel" which costs only about 10 cents a load, so it is economical and efficient to use now. The money saved can be used for other preparations. But it isn’t necessary to actually make this laundry soap now, as once made it is bulky. Simply having 20 bars of Fels Naptha soap and 5 boxes each of washing soda and borax on hand would enable you to make enough laundry soap for years when you need it most.

I will have to try this one, as what my DD and I did when she was here this summer was something else. We used reg. baking soda, not the washing kind. We had it all over the place. So now, I will try this one and see what happens. Well, as soon as I am finished with the batch we made. smile

HAVEAGOODDAY1.gif

FALLHUGSLEAVES.gif

• 1 month later...

I thought I add this: Since I have found the Fels Naptha Sooap,

Someone Gifted a SALAD SHOOTER to me, so I thought I'd use it to grate the Fels Naptha soap, it works wonderfully. The first pass gave me little curels, a second pass make little flakes.....

This is way easier to do than grate a whole bar by hand.

Washing soda

Washing soda should be in the laundry section of your grocery store. It comes in a yellow box, made by Arm & Hammer, but it's NOT baking soda. If you're interested, washing soda is Sodium Carbonate or "soda ash"(Na2CO3), baking soda is Sodium Bicarbonate (NaHCO3), and borax is Sodium Tetraborate Decahydrate (Na2B4O7*10H2O), all different chemical compounds.

If you can't find it locally, call Arm & Hammer at this number: 1-800-524-1328 - they should be able to tell you where the closest place is that you can find it.

Or try Soaps Gone Buy at:

http://www.soapsgonebuy.com/

You can purchase Laundry soda online from Amazon.com as well according to some sources.

Want to make your own "laundry soda"? Take baking soda, spread it out onto a cookie sheet and bake it in the oven at a little over 300 degrees for an hour or so it will drive away a water and CO2 molecule thus making washing soda.

At temperatures above 300o Fahrenheit (149o Celsius), baking soda decomposes into sodium carbonate, water, and carbon dioxide.

2NaHCO3 -> Na2Co3 + H20 + CO2