MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Moving in 6 weeks!

Oh fudge! We're moving in the middle of this mess! Needs some advice ladies. Would you ...

1. Eat none of the preps, canned foods etc, and move them with. Buying more upon arrival.

2. Eat the canned food in the cupboards, but move the bulk items. Hope its not to late to re-stock when we get there.

3. Screw it, buy as much food as I can now and move it all with us. There may not be a chance later.

I truthfully think I'd do number 3 unless you're moving miles and miles away. I've worked so hard to get my preps that using them and pretty much starting over is more than I care to think about.

Whatever you choose....good luck! grouphug

I would go with #3 just to be safe. Unless of course it would cost a lot more to move the extra food. Than again I would still move as much as I could aford. Boy, that`s about as clear as mud. LOL.

Good luck on your move.

Me too! Moving in 6 weeks that is...

As to your questions, are you considering getting a major addition to your preps before your move because you fear the rising prices?

Well, I guess that depends on your budget for moving...you've got to consider the cost of moving, new utility deposits, extra cleaning/painting supplies, stuff like shelf paper, etc. etc. that can really add up.

Sooooo....it really might come down to $$$. That, and if you have to move yourself in this heat...all those heavy food boxes...

Don't know why it is, but my family has almost always had their moves fall in AUGUST!! UGH!!

When I moved last year, I did #3. There was no way I coulda used all my preps anyway, and I have them stocked for a reason. Ask cookie, she did alot of the packing...I'm still unpacking boxes where she wrote "ANOTHER box of home canned jars..."

I moved 43000lbs outta state.

My movers hated me and I didn't care.

nail

I vote for #3. Far too much money, time, and energy to pass by.

Oh - one more piece of advice - Pay for a moving company. It is absolutely worth every penny!

Be sure to keep your own inventory AND theirs. If something goes up missing, you have steps to track it down and take care of it.

Theres no way we could afford a moving company. We'll rely on family and the Elder's Quarm at church. They will love us moving all the food storage in August in 110 degree heat.

I have been thinking of adding more to the food storage. I'd have to sneak it in because Dh would KILL ME if he found me adding more food. He had a heart attack when I brought home 25lb of brown rice yesterday. I just feel it will be difficult to get in August, although I feel September is really the month to watch out for.

Two more MrsS'ers moving. It is opportunity, I hope. But it is also destabilizing. I'd do #3....cuz I worked this long to get my hands on what I have. My worst move was coming back to the mainland from Maui....thru USPostal.... it about killed me. DarleneSwoon But then, I'm the Packrat. laughkick

Funky and Abigail, make sure you catch the suggestions for a Moving Survival Kit we all wrote in 'Staying Prepped while moving" thread:

www.mrssurvival.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=218069&page=1#Post218069

MtRider [ star Best of Luck to you both. ]

I am still getting stuff from my brothers, but I deffinately say move your preps if at all possible. I actually didn't have very much, but I would have moved them if I had them, because I get them for a good reason. I might need them. I did leave some behind for my brother who lost the income in the house when I moved out. He still hasn't found a job, and I am still helping him the best I can. On the other hand I would say make sure you have money set aside for the move first, and if you have enough of a cushion set aside for that, I would then consider adding to my preps since things are so crazy now. Just if you are moving yourself, think about the cost of gas to actually make the move. Make sure you have that available for any thing you have to transport. Especially if you are adding extra.

Do you have anyone you know and really trust where you're moving to? If you're going to do mail ordering between now and your move, maybe you could have it shipped to them so your new preps will be waiting for you in your new town.

Good luck with the move!

We always moved ourselves. The last move we had movers because it was a company move and they paid for it. It was also a state away. The movers (nation wide company) caused more damage than we ever did. They paid for it but that didn't remove the dints and dings. We have an antique victrola that now has a nice gash on the side of the top. I hope my next move will be close enough so I can do most of it myself.

I'd go with #3 too. I'm trying to hold on to my preps as long as possible.

I got a quote from the PODS people. LOTS cheaper than North American, who did my last move, let me tell you!!

Unless I get some angel offering a free truck or something, I think they're the cheapest option.

You have to load and offload the thing yourself, but THEY do the hauling and storage if need be. They don't consider the weight as most movers do and everything was included. You have a MONTH to offload the container, and if you go over it's $199 per month extra. This could come in handy should you need to do repairs/renovations/painting at your new location.

The thought of driving a U-Haul, Penske or some such big truck scares me to death. No filling PODS with gas as you have to do with a rented truck, either. That's a BIG factor considering how high gas is these days! Should be easier self loading a POD as it's ground level rather than hauling everything up and down the ramp of a truck, too...well, "easy" as is possible in August in Louisiana anyway...

Oh, yeah...I'm going with option #3 too, although I am eating down my fridge and freezer...

I DESPISE moving in August!! DarleneSwoon

Originally Posted By: Mt_Rider
Two more MrsS'ers moving. It is opportunity, I hope. But it is also destabilizing. I'd do #3....cuz I worked this long to get my hands on what I have. My worst move was coming back to the mainland from Maui....thru USPostal.... it about killed me. DarleneSwoon But then, I'm the Packrat. laughkick

Funky and Abigail, make sure you catch the suggestions for a Moving Survival Kit we all wrote in 'Staying Prepped while moving" thread:

www.mrssurvival.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=218069&page=1#Post218069

MtRider [ star Best of Luck to you both. ]

oooooh!! Thanks for the link to this thread. I need all the tips I can get!! bouquet

FP,

I'm so glad you have people helping you! Sometimes friends and family are BETTER than a company. Not to mention, you get a great excuse for having dinner together afterwards!

Be careful, I pray the move goes safely.

Abigail, I forgot all about PODS. If I move again please remind me of them! blush

That sounds perfect for someone like me. I could pack and unpack everything myself but they can do the transporting.

#3 for sure. We moved and not knowing what we were coming too, let the pantry run down. I didn't buy much for the 4 months before we moved and when we got here, had very little storage, tiny pantry etc. The result was that DH decided we should not store anything!!!! I have just got him to understand that I do not feel comfortable with so little. So I told him (suggested nicely) that I will be buying some plastic tubs with sealing lids, and will be going out and doing a large shop to get things back on at least a better footing. After that I can work on things slowly but straight off - I am going to spend the money no matter what. It is hard to put away preps when your partner flat out cant understand why. But slowly we are getting a better understanding and I can prep again. By the way we have just started the last pack of TP I bought ahead 18 months ago. My friends that helped us move made many comments about my supply! (And they didn't see it at its highest ...)

I'd probably do a combination of #1 and #2 - I say this frm moving WAY too many times in the early years when my husband was in the military!

I would eat and use up everything I could between now and August - not spending a dime in he store if I could help it. I'd put the money I'd use at the store in a kitty pot each week - save it, and re-buy what we'd use when I got to the new place.

I realize there will be loss because of food price increase, but it's a trade-off I'd risk knowing that I was going to be the one doing alot of the back-breaking work to move it all. If I knew I was paying a moving company, I'd still do it - they charge by the pound, or they used to.

Unless I was very familiar with my new place, I'd also do it for another reason. I know how much I could stock and where I could put things where I am now - every place I've ever moved to, it has called for a different type of inventive storage solution. I always needed time to asess a place to determine what it is I needed to build for storage, or where is the coolest/driest/best place. That often meant I changed what I stored, and sometimes I was a tad more limited on how much I could store. Sometimes I've found I could store tons more! wink

I'd use up the regular canned goods and set aside the $ to replace it as soon as I got there. I'd keep the long term storage. It would also depend a lot on how long the move was. I ran out of room to take some of the food when we moved here from IA and had to give some of it away. Plus the cost of fuel to move it was really high. So for the everyday stuff I'd look at it as a chance to rotate it and replenish it right after I got to my new house.

Thanks all for the advice. We opted to eat what was in the kitchen cupboards and take the rest. I have found out a new exciting thing about our new house, it has a wood burning fireplace! (Yes I have never set foot in my new house, my MIL did the house shopping for us) This is a big bonus because woodburning fireplaces are now illegal for new instalation where I am moving.