MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WESTIE'S LAP QUILT by Abigail

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It sure did...I've almost got the first quilt cut out...finally got enough people's fabric in the mail to have enough squares for the first quilt. Will be posting "progress" pictures maybe sometimes later today.

By the way, everyone...I've only gotten about half of the fabrics from people who wanted to participate so far...the "stragglers" will have their fabric incorporated into the second quilt. Actually, this one will be quite a bit more complex, so here's a time when procrastination pays off!!

The game plan is this: I'm doing duplicates of the same autograph square blocks for those who sent fabrics early for the first quilt. The second quilt will incorporate the "original" blocks...I'll do that in kind of a "sampler" style with each block different. I have lots of excess fabric to do this.

Reason being...it's easier and what's more important, FASTER to strip-cut and piece the same pattern for every block. Since we want to get Westie the first quilt quickly, this is the best way to go.

THEN that will give those who've expressed an interest in doing original blocks a bit more time to do their thing...I've only gotten four "original" blocks so far...two from Amishway Homesteaders and two from Dee. However others have said they're working on more. I can "fill in" with enough "original" squares from the remaining extra fabric to have enough for a second quilt...but to design, cut, and piece each original block takes more time, so I felt this was the best way to go.

Clear as mud? Hope not! Off to finish the last of the cutting and start piecing the first blocks...will post pics as I go!!

Originally Posted By: OldMaineBear
So do you need more fabric Abigail? I'll send my wife this time if you do as I will not venture in there again.

Oh, goodness no! I've got plenty for both quilts and even the side projects we've been talking about...like a bag, pillow covers and more.

I have enough "participants" now to complete the first one, so I'm going with the simpler autograph star pattern (the blue quilt on this thread is the example of what it will be like...only in green prints.)

For the second quilt, which will incorporate "original" blocks that people are doing on their own, it's just a matter of having everyone who wants to participate getting their fabrics and/or blocks in so they'll be represented in the second "sampler" quilt. I have enough leftover fabric from the first one to do sashing and borders on both quilts, so all I'll need are your personal fabric choices for the block itself...a fat quarter (total) is fine.

For those who aren't into quilting, a "sampler" quilt has uniquely designed blocks, rather than the design being all the same. In this case, we probably won't have enough "original" sample blocks to make up an entire quilt, so I'll use the fabrics sent after I have enough for the first quilt, plus leftover fabrics from the first quilt to do enough "different" blocks to complete the second quilt. This takes a lot more time than simply doing the same design for each block, so I've opted to do that one second, so I can get the first one on it's way to Westie quickly.

Also, when designing quilts like these, it matters where particular prints are placed in the overall design for the best effect...so hurry up everyone!!! outahere

DEADLINE FOR FABRICS

Hi everyone! I've gotten a little more than half the fabrics in from people who've p.m.'d me to request my home address.

Ordinarily, this would not be an issue, as I have enough people who've come through with their fabrics to do the first quilt, but I'm going to act of sale on my house by the end of July, so I need to make sure that I have all fabrics on hand by July 15, to ensure that nothing gets lost in any mail that would be forwarded to my new address that I don't even have yet!!

I will definitely have the first quilt on its way to Westie before the move, but unless everyone gets their fabrics in SOON, I likely won't be able to complete the second one until after the move.

Now, this isn't necessarily a bad thing...doing it this way will give plenty of time for everyone who wants in to participate...even those who haven't been around much due to summer activities. On my end, it will give me more time to incorporate everyone's fabrics to best advantage in the "sampler" quilt, making for a much better finished result.

Sounds good? Any suggestions on how to better manage this are welcomed and appreciated! bouquet

• 4 weeks later...

Lunamother, I didn't get anything from you yet; I just went through my list to double check, too...when did you send it? I really hope that it comes on Monday; that's my last day in this house!

Well, if it doesn't, I'll tell the new owners I'm expecting something and to give it to one of my old neighbors for forwarding...I'll be in the area for several days at least, so I'll be sure to get it. Let's keep our fingers crossed that it will be delivered on Monday!

well GRRRRRR....

it went out the middle of last month- I mailed it right before we went down to Houston...

I guess it got losted. awwman

can you pm me a NEW address and I'll get another one done up over the weekend? prettyplease

Thanks everyone; I've been really enjoying doing it; hadn't done any quilting in a long time, and I'm having fun getting back into it!

Getting used to this photobucket thing, too...Here's two new pictures of the most recent progress that I added to the photobucket "album..."

MVC-012F.jpg

MVC-013F.jpg

Don't know if you can tell, but I just have a couple of blocks left to do, then I need to add borders and quilt it...it's taking me longer than I thought it would, but it shouldn't take too much longer.

The embroidered circle is something I've been playing around with for the center of the quilt. My machine has an attachment for circular machine embroidery that I've been wanting to try out. I'm still working the kinks out, as you can see...the ends of the circle aren't joining up just right, but you can still get the idea.

For some odd reason, when I copied the link from photobucket, the writing looks "reversed" when I posted it here, although it looks fine on the photobucket website? Odd...

Good idea? Bad?