MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE THIS WEEK TO PREPARE? PART 30

Jeepers, it would be really interesting if you could tell us how much it costs you to fill up the 1/2 gallon jars! Some of us are still trying to weigh the pros and cons of doing it ourselves vs buying already dehydrated. Thanks!

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Darn, I didn't keep track of the cost. I was just so anxious to get the dried veggies behind me and stocked away. I'll try to remember to do better when I start with the green beans. There is a link in the 'Preserving the Harvest' forum called 'Dehydrating Peas' that might help a little. I really like doing them myself. If you grow your own, I'm sure it would be a lot cheaper to do it your self rather than buy it already done. Right now I'm buying 2 pound bags. They shrink down so little and I have to remind myself that they will plump back up so a 1/2 gallon dried is really a gallon rehydrated.

http://www.mrssurvival.com/forums/ubbthr...ge=2#Post220864

Earlier today I stopped at Target and noticed some of their "Dollar Store" type merchandise up the the front was 50% off. I got a bunch of emergency blankets (the foil type) for $0.50 each and a couple of splinter kits (will make a nice addition to the first aid kits for the car) and a couple packs of camping matches.

Checking my water filled milk jugs because I found one leaking by accident. Ruined a 4 lb bag of sugar, mold setting in on my pantry wall, and a box of instant potatoes are boxless. Thank goodness they were also in a plastic bag. So now, I am checking all of my jugs of water, which unfortunately are scattered and behind things.

I had been warned, but--you know the rest of the story.

Sorry about your water jugs Virginia! I was always told that milk jugs are manufactured to break down faster in landfills than other plastic containers. They can be pretty unstable.

At least you found it soon. Hope the mold doesn't continue to grow though.

bighug

Originally Posted By: funkyducky
Earlier today I stopped at Target and noticed some of their "Dollar Store" type merchandise up the the front was 50% off. I got a bunch of emergency blankets (the foil type) for $0.50 each and a couple of splinter kits (will make a nice addition to the first aid kits for the car) and a couple packs of camping matches.

Oh! I'll have to go to Target tomorrow! Thanks for the info.

Virginia -- I hope it cleans up and you can figure out another way to store water.
Originally Posted By: Jeepers
I'm dehydrating carrots this week. It's a sloooow process. I hope to get a 1/2 gallon jar filled by Friday. I already have one of peas and one of corn. This is the first time I've ever dehydrated. So far, so good.

I plan to do one 1/2 gallon jar of peas, corn, carrots, green beans, peppers, celery, onions, tomatoes and leeks. After I get one jar of each, I'd like to do a second jar. I'll probably buy potato cubes and mushrooms already done.

Jeepers,

Don't forget to store your dried veggies in a container or bag, and SHAKE a bit every day - this helps to distribute any remaining moisture, keep them separated and dry. (This is a trick I just learned in my Extension Service preservation class!)

Thanks, crazy4canning, what a great tip!

I bought a food dehydrator today to replace the one that we don't have anymore. I am planning on dehydrating as much as I can since I absolutely hate canning (dh likes canning though).

I have hot peppers already in it right now!

And also our Amish made stainless steel mega-size water bath canner is finally on its way from Lehman's! It was backordered so we have been hoping it would get here before the garden goes nuts. Looks like we will make it. Whew! Even though I hate canning, I have to admit I am kind of excited to get it...it can hold 19 quarts at a time! Excellent!

Thanks for the tip C4C! I have the peas and corn in glass canning jars and I vacuum sealed them with the Foodsaver. I put the carrots in a jar too and when it's full, I'll vacuum it.

I'm pretty confident they are good and dry. I probably over do it because I fear mold starting and losing it all. In fact, I handle each piece to make sure it isn't still pliable.

No problem on the shaking because I like looking at them. blush

No I didn't. These were 10.6 quart containers - what I would bring up from the storage area to use in the kitchen (Besides, all the mylar bags I presently have are for 5 gallon buckets).

I usually put my preps up in 5 gallon buckets, and then put up one or two of the item in a smaller container to bring upstairs so I don't have to break the airtight seal on a 5 gallon bucket until I am ready to refill the smaller container (then I throw a couple of oxygen absorbers in the 5 gallon bucket and reseal it).

What was aggravating was that the label stated the containers were airtight, so I figured for a small amount I would be OK without using a mylar bag (Note to self - get small mylar bags).

Talked to Wal-Mart main office tonight. They said I needed to talk to the store manager, HOWEVER, if I did not feel the store manager's answer/decision was acceptable I was told to re-contact the main office and THEY would kick the problem "upstairs". I will be talking to the store manager in the AM, hopefully, everything will be resolved satisfactorily on the local level. I no longer have the receipt, but considering there is a "problem" with the product, I am willing to accept store credit.

Tracie,

On one of the other groups I frequent, it was mentioned that someone had one of these blankets (it was about 2 years old) and when they opened the package to use it, it fell apart all along the fold lines.

One of the replies stated that they needed to be opened up, then refolded into 4"- 6" squares, but make sure you do not refold on the original fold lines. This is SUPPOSED to solve that problem.

Found giant whole Bottom Round Roasts on Sale at Randall's for $.99/lb this week...They were bigger than briskets w/out much fat! Really nice beef! So I bought 12 @ around 12-14 lbs a piece. Plus there was a $5 off coupon on their flyer if you spent $20 on this brand of beef. So I got an additional $25 off! This brought me to about $.80/lb!!! Woohoo!

The ground beef was the same price, so I got about 10 of those packages as well. If I had a meat grinder, I would have just bought straight roasts...

Now I had NO room in my little freezer for all of this, but I couldn't pass on a good deal...so I called my momma and told her I would bring her this beef if she had room in her freezer for it. I'm so glad she did!

I did manage to keep a couple of Ground Beef packages and 2 giant roasts for myself, though. I turned about 1/3 of one of the roasts into tenderized future chicken fried steaks and froze everything. My little freezer is packed!!!

WB canned 4 pints of pink champagne colored grape jelly (1/2 green and 1/2 red grapes) and it set just perfectly!!! Canned 4 pints of Blueberry/Peach last week too.

Sure need to get my hands on a pressure canner soon... canningcloud9

We had to move things in the basement to repair a crack in the floor we worried could get worse so it was a good time to rearrange, take inventory, and organize the food storage a little better.

I also added to it all a case of #10 can potato flakes and more dehydrated vegetables. Also dehydrated (for the first time!!) a bunch of summer squash and zucchini, a ton of parsley, and a pile of cilantro. Today I will dry a large amount of thyme.

The wild low blue berries are ripe and now I am going off to pick those up on the hill. I know they are tiny and they take forever to get any--but they are up under the power lines and..they are free!

Originally Posted By: JCK88
The wild low blue berries are ripe and now I am going off to pick those up on the hill. I know they are tiny and they take forever to get any--but they are up under the power lines and..they are free!

And they are the best tasting blueberries ever!! So worth it!

You can just spread an apron or towel under the bush & shake the bush. No need to individually pick each berry.

:-)
Originally Posted By: Campy
Tracie,

On one of the other groups I frequent, it was mentioned that someone had one of these blankets (it was about 2 years old) and when they opened the package to use it, it fell apart all along the fold lines.

One of the replies stated that they needed to be opened up, then refolded into 4"- 6" squares, but make sure you do not refold on the original fold lines. This is SUPPOSED to solve that problem.

Good thing to keep in mind, thanks for the info!

WELL, who'd thought those ole bean vines would of made more beans shrug (was fixing to pull them up this week to get ground ready for planting more peas. Anyway the rain last week for 2 or 3 days really made them put out more. So when I went out there yesterday, took me 3 hours to pick (have to take short breaks in between each row, b/c so hot out) and ended up with 2 canners (14 jars), done today by me. DarleneSwoon And giving my Sis to put up another canner (7 jars) tonight when she gets off work and had enough left over 4 quarts that I gave to my mom and another elderly couple (all snapped and washed for them) They were tickled to get them a mess for supper! Canned 7 quarts of purple hull peas day b/f yesterday and while waiting on canner to do its thing I am shelling to put up another 7 quarts for tomorrow. Plus 3 quarts of butter beans and 2 quarts of peas in freezer. Now it is coffee time. Taking a break. Hubby will be home in the next half hour or so. clap Those 2 weeks he is gone seems to get longer and longer.

Just received about a bushel of small red delicious apples. The tree broke a limb, and the owner did not want the apples. Too small really, but with a little extra sugar, I think the applesauce will still be good. The apples smell great cooking down.

Blueberries, beans, apples.... yumyum Y'all are making me think I'm crazy to live up in the frozen tundra [slight exageratiion]. We just planted beans and stuff a week ago....in dust. Not much grows wild here. Except yarrow.

Wow, Jeanette...you got a realllly good deal on the meat. This is what can save the money these days. Heads up on sales and the ability (freezer space) to handle the quantity when opportunity knocks. Yessssssss, get a pressure canner! I just canned meat for the first time. Slowly getting my freezers emptied for the next sales. shoppingcart

Virginia, do you or any one you know use drinks that come in the 2 liter bottles or the clear juice (like Ocean Spray) bottles? Have them save them for your water storage. Still easy to handle but MUCH more durable than plastic milk jugs. Glad you found that when you did!!!

MtRider [yipes....lightning AGAIN....gotta unplug 'puter.....hope&pray we get RAIN with this one! ]

Yes, I am glad I found it so early. It had only lost about 1/5 of the gallon. Cleanup went pretty well, that is until DH sees it. Stuff is so packed, maybe he won't notice. We drink way too much Pepsi or Coke, so we are using those jugs mostly, and buying some water in clear plastic. None of use drink much juice, but I find those jugs seem pretty heavy.

Keep on canning, it is the only way to go these days, if possible to do it.

I just got a Tilia Foodsaver Vac350 on ebay for 24.94 including shipping. It's used, but it looks brand new. And I also bought a dehydrator (American Harvest Snackmaster with jerky gun) http://www.amazon.com/Nesco-American-FD-61...r/dp/B0002WSQHU

woot!

And the dog spent the day prepping for when TSHTF by vigorously defending me from the folding clothes dryer spinner thingie hubby installed in the back yard yesterday evening. He is convinced it looks shifty and plans to attack :-D

Cleaned out the big pantry. Moved all the canned meat into it and checked ALL the seals! (This pantry is air conditioned so hopefully no more seals will go.) Rotated some #10 cans of stuff and some jars of home canned stew to the "use soon" pantry. Found the quilt I started several yrs ago. (What was it doing in the pantry? LOL) Maybe I will finish quilting it this summer while I hide from the sun.