MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE THIS WEEK TO PREPARE? PART 30

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I need to look into a water barrel as well but still wanting to stock up more on food first as we are using several different containers for water right now and want to save my cash for food.

I did pick up some chicken and hamburger on sale this week at the local grocery. Think I will go back for more of each tomorrow since the price is probably as low as it will ever be.

Thanks Debbie, Campy and Team B. We don't have any Army surplus stores around here and I don't have an Ebay account. I guess I'm going to have to order online if I'm going to get one.

I forgot to mention, I went to Home Depot, Lowes, farm supply places and all the garden centers around me looking for them.

Originally Posted By: Jeepers
I need to check out Walmart again. Around y2k I bought two of their water containers and over time they leaked. They were green. I think it was Fritz who said he had the same problem with them.

The green jerry can types from Wal-Mart tend to leak over time. I know of several people who have had the problem. I think that I still have mine somewhere, to be filled at the last minute and kept somewhere safe! I bought 4 of the blue squarish jugs, and have never had any problems with them.

Yes...my green containers from them leaked over time, also...a huge mess!

I also have some of the blue square aquatainers and they are just fine.

Originally Posted By: NYDebbie
I couldn't even find decent sized lamp oil at my Walmart! and no guns! I've been gyped. It is discrimination against Northerners, obviously.

lol

Debbie, for the lamp oil, try ACE Hardware, if you have one in your area. I view mine as a prepping essential store. It also carried canning and cheesemaking items.

As to ammo and such, a small local gun store will have it, and at least a little of your money will go to a local business owner.
Originally Posted By: Jeepers
Thanks Debbie, Campy and Team B. We don't have any Army surplus stores around here and I don't have an Ebay account. I guess I'm going to have to order online if I'm going to get one.

I forgot to mention, I went to Home Depot, Lowes, farm supply places and all the garden centers around me looking for them.

Jeepers, email H20STAN and see if he will accept other forms of payment (checks, money order, etc.). Obviously, they will need to clear before he ships.

Just a thought.

Got all the wiring done for a generator - transfer switch, outside plug, etc. I can run the whole house with this unit (Except for the electric oven).

Next thing is to order the generator - 8,000 watt (10,000 watt surge) on Ebay for $998.99 INCLUDING SHIPPING. I asked the electrician that did the wiring about this brand (PowerMax) and he said that he has seen them before and they are a decent generator.

Quote:
No guns at Walmart ??????? Boy that is strange--

Depends on your Walmart. I have three within a 45 mile radius of my house. Two in the largeish city and one in a much smaller town. Neither of the ones in the city carry firearms, but the Walmart in the small town does.

It's county fair time, and I noticed a huge difference in the county fair located in the city and the one located nearer to us. The fair in the city is all about the rides and the vendors. The one near us is all about 4H and the "Look what I made" type exhibits.

Needless to say I *much* prefer the one nearby!

I got a bunch of seeds today. I stopped by AC Moore (craft store) with the girls to get a couple of t-shirts (they're cheaper there than at a "real" clothing store) and they had their seeds marked down even more. A while ago they were 4/$1.00 and I got some. Today they were 10/$1.00 so I got a lot more! banana

So I had a chat with DH today during a long car ride. He is not overly concerned about the idea of an EMP -- he thinks a far more likely scenario is a nuclear weapon detonated in NYC in a "suitcase bomb". Having been a Navy nuclear officer who has seen combat, I feel comfortable in his threat assessment skills. He did suggest that it might be a good idea to have potassium iodide tablets on hand, rather than depending on the government to get them to us in time. So I ordered some today. I got it here: http://www.vitacost.com/SourceNaturalsPo...1-S-15155333511

It seemed to be the best price+shipping.

we got two bottles, which is enough for our family, plus three more adults and one more child (children under 12 take 1/2 dose), or two more adults and three more children.

Just ordered white buckets, gamma seals and mylar liner bags at emergency essentials.com. Thank you to whoever it was who posted the "outdoors" discount code -- It took 10% off of my order!!! Gamma seals were $7.16, 6 gallon buckets with no lid were $6.26, mylar bags were 2.25 each.

Thank you!!!

Originally Posted By: Tracie
Just ordered white buckets, gamma seals and mylar liner bags at emergency essentials.com. Thank you to whoever it was who posted the "outdoors" discount code -- It took 10% off of my order!!! Gamma seals were $7.16, 6 gallon buckets with no lid were $6.26, mylar bags were 2.25 each.

Thank you!!!

WOW! I missed this discount code. Would you mind a repeat of it? I will be needing to place another order soon, and that 10% could really help!

Visited the other hardware store in town and bought seeds 10/$1. Planted hulless barley, buckwheat, dill, more carrots, lettuce, and parsley and also filled in some more flaxseed as my germination didn't seem real good. Studied up on chamomile and when to harvest the lemon balm. Passed on some used clothing in our clothing rotation. Was sad I missed out on some nice water barrels with a faucet near the bottom. But realized that if the kids played with it on the back porch it would be a very big mess. Think I'll go with regular buckets and add a pump when needed. Discussing with my parents who own this house about building a real pump house/storage shed and they are also thinking of rewiring the place. Added more money in our faith jar- goal to be in our own home soon.

Originally Posted By: Cowgirl

Thank you!!!

WOW! I missed this discount code. Would you mind a repeat of it? I will be needing to place another order soon, and that 10% could really help!

It's just "OUTDOORS" -- that's the code. :-)

It's just "OUTDOORS" -- that's the code. :-)

lol

blush

OK, thanks! Sometimes I have blonde moments. laugh

We all do :-D

I went to aldi today, and bought whole cases of canned carrots, canned tomatoes w/Jalapenos, canned tomato sauce, a whole case of dehydrated mashed potatoes, a whole case of peanut butter, etc. I got some weird looks, and I decided I'd say "I'm worried about job layoffs at GE" (big employer around here). But nobody actually said anything.

I also went to Ocean State Job Lots and got a smaller stockpot for canning pints and half-pint jars. While I was there I saw these Nexcare "Health Preparedness Go-Packs" on sale for $3 each. The alcohol based hand gel and wipes were expired, but the disposable thermometers are good until May 2011 and the gloves and masks don't expire. They were also in a great little clear vinyl zippered bag (not ziploc). I also got some extra disposable thermometers ($0.50 for four). (http://www.shoplet.com/office/db/MMMIP901.html)

I'm going to throw out the expired hand gel (if nobody pipes up to say it's really fine) and fill these little packs with more stuff, like homeopathic flu treatments and fresher hand gel.

i also cleaned out two shelf unit in the garage, threw out a bunch of stuff and moved the shelf units to the basement ot use for preps. now it's DH's turn to make room in the basement (i.e. throw stuff out) so I can organize the preps area.

Phew! And it's only 1:30 here ;-)