MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Found A Prep 'Hole': Self Defense

bighug for Funkyduck. Thank you for looking these up but......oh WOWOWOWOW....

....cuz that second site has a version of my never-to-be-without-in-public SEAT CANE. [which is totally off topic of this thread so I'm posting a new thread about disability devices..... but yahoo cuz I thot I'd never find this design again! Not a bad price either. You can't believe how thrilled I am to find this!!!!!!

But back to the defensive devices..... laugh

My usual "leaving home" cane is a purple-floral fold-up. I gave away another really pretty stick cane to an MS friend who was REFUSING to be seen in public with a cane...but she was too often seen in public falling down... blush She liked it! She uses it! Still looking thru the sites....trying to see if they have a neat-o cane that is also a good&sturdy whacker stick.

Ted....Campy....whoever...... Does the grip end absolutely HAVE to be the curved hook for best defense? I really prefer the flattened version of grip end ? Cuz I have to lean and don't wanna slide off the curve kind. I've seen some metal [ wicked heavy ] flat versions...... frypan

MtRider [this place is continually a source of information!!! lovemrss ]

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: Jules

You would think with that many people someone would step up to the plate and stop some thug but no. You can't count on anyone doing the right thing. Be prepared to defend yourself. A 911 call would have been a five minute wait while this guy did anything he felt like to show his lack of respect for the law.

I'm am very, very sorry that this happened to you. That said, perhaps you can take something from it.

Just as no one will look after or care for your money as well as YOU do...it's a wise thing to take responsibility for your OWN personal safety instead of counting on "someone" to help you out.

As you noted, a 911 call would have gotten help there in 5 minutes or so, and a lot can (and has) happen(ed) in 5 minutes. Even a lucky, speedier response is no assurance you walk away unharmed; the first cop was onscene at the NIU mass shooting 28 seconds after the 911 call. All the vile acts were done by then.
There's an old saw: when seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

And, as for hoping for a passerby to ride up and jump in to save the day...unfortunately, as you noted, you can't count on that. Depending on how much of the incident they witnessed, they likely have no idea of the whole situation even if they ARE feeling heroic. This could be a domestic situation, you could be the guy's non-custodial ex- and have taken his child, etc. etc. DV calls are amongst the cops' least favorite, because they are so unpredictable: after peeling the guy off the woman, she may jump on the cop's back and say "don't you haul my man away!" while beating on the cop.

Would-be civilian heroes also often get sued for their trouble, along with whatever physical damage they may or may not have taken. Sometimes those that they have saved aren't (for whatever reason) as stand-up in defending their defender in a multiple-day court appearance, either. Sometimes the victim takes off at the scene, leaving the rescuer as bagholder. Think for a moment about how likely you would be to go that far out on a limb for a stranger, in today's society. If may be likely, it may not be...only you know.

What does this all add up to? Again- taking responsibility for your and your family's safety as best you can. Do NOT count on "someone else" to take care of it any more than you are counting on food to always be available. If you get help- great. Counting on it or even expecting it is tantamount to saying "there will always be food at the store, and if not, someone will feed me". You're smart enough to prep for a lot of "what if"s...and I'm glad to see you're smart enough to realize this is a weak area for you.

And if you get a weapon (even a maglight)- train with it some. Don't wait until something bad is happening to start figuring out what you're going to do with it. If you get a gun, training is even more important...and don't even bring it out unless you are ready, able, and willing to use it to stop the threat. YOU are the weapon; whatever else you have in your hand is a tool.

Again, I'm very sorry that this happened to you, and I apologize if I seem like I'm suggesting you change from gentle flower to GI Jane. lalala ;-) I just want to encourage you to take your (and your family's) safety as your own bottom-line responsibility. No non-sociopath wants to hurt anyone...but that doesn't mean you should forfeit if the sole choices are "hurt or be hurt".

God bless, and be safe.

"Ted....Campy....whoever...... Does the grip end absolutely HAVE to be the curved hook for best defense? I really prefer the flattened version of grip end ? Cuz I have to lean and don't wanna slide off the curve kind. I've seen some metal [ wicked heavy"

Nope. The, I guess you could call them "L" handles, will work for MANY of the moves/defenses. The advantage of the "crook" type handle is for grasping feet, arms, etc. so you can pull someone off their feet. The crook type will not slide off a leg, arm OR neck.

I agree with campy - any type of handle has a use , even no handle at all.

I actually don't like the crook type. When you hook someone, they have a hook back on you and can pull you around. If you can't handle that, it works against you. A straight stick or L handle is optimum for me.

Newt Livesay produced a number of nice fighting canes, (mine is number 005), but he's out of business now so they are only available second hand.

Cold Steel has a number of choices too. A clear Lexan cane styled for fighting is available at http://www.clearcanes.com/defence.html . I have a lexan (bullet proof plastic) 32" stick and I have found that when it hits a wooden or rattan stick, it sends a lot of vibration down into my own hand.

But I still advocate a stock cane with the "too tight" crook boiled until it opens to a good size, if you want a crook.

Ted

Pool Cues, Beer Bottles, and Baseball Bats: Animal's Guide to Improvised Weapons for Self-Defense

I want to thank you all in this thread and the similar one before this, about the cane sites and the canemasters site. I really poured over it. I have had some jujitsu with short stick work, but it has been awhile. I found a staff with a brass sleeve and ball on it. I also found the style of cane good for arthritis stable grip. I could be using a walking staff or a cane at anytime, ( although, I am finding cinnamon in capsules and valerian is helping my crippled up self do alot better after upping the doses for myself the past few days. ) So in combination, I can work on practicing and walking and getting so the staff or stick is very comfortable.

I saw where if you get the hook type canes of wood that you would put it in boiling water and make it wider? So that it can reach around a leg well, in a defensive move?

Also just getting in those walks as often as I can even though its getting colder now is very important to keep limbered up and stable on my feet as much as I can be. I hope to get far better than that in time, but I can see this is a serious type of prep for me!

Cinnamon is good for many things we tend to get in middle years if we don't keep really agile and slim our whole lives, from what I have seen. It also affects plague and blood pressure so anyone using it for health needs to monitor blood pressure frequently. My doctors know I take supplements and encourage it, luckily, so I have no problem with that arena. They just want me to be very aware of affects.

Valerian acts on neural system, and this is helping me with inflammation and with anxiety. I feel like my 'skin' is getting a bit thicker already, and I know I have been too sensitive and thinking too hard on issues, so this is a real boon for me.

I will be getting as much as I can for daily use and preps in fact, now that I know how it benefits me!

This also helps assimilating sudden things, like a dangerous situation with a more reasonable thought process. This is essential in self defense modes I believe, and that is why I have mentioned it here. Perception and calculation under stress and fear is a sensitive item to the LEO's around here I am certain of. It is one thing to defend myself inside my home, but outside, there better be a real threat, or I could find myself in alot of hot water. So clarity in the mind is important for me.

I appreciate all the information and knowledge you are sharing here in the threads and I do want to get a good cane or two in time along with that brass topped staff. thanks

Quote:
I saw where if you get the hook type canes of wood that you would put it in boiling water and make it wider? So that it can reach around a leg well, in a defensive move?

Also just getting in those walks as often as I can even though its getting colder now is very important to keep limbered up and stable on my feet as much as I can be. I hope to get far better than that in time, but I can see this is a serious type of prep for me!

Cane boiling was probably mine, smile I tout it because stock canes are so cheap, usually less than $15, and can look really nice with a bit of oil rubbed into it. And yes, the crook can hook a bad guy but that means he has hooked you, too!

One of the best articles abut how to think about self defence and the legal repercussions is at http://nononsenseselfdefense.com/misconceptions.htm The whole site is worth reading, but it is huge.

Good luck,

Ted

There is good reason the shillelagh became so popular as a walking stick amongst the gentry of London. It was a very useful weapon in those dangerous streets. Kept the rifraff at a distnace and delt a blow hard enough to discourage the most tenacious thug.

The Zulus had a stick that was feared in warfare called the knobkerry. Similar to the shillelagh but had a larger bulbous end. Many a young lad of the 24th Regiment of Foot came to an end due to a Zulu weilded knobkerry at Isandlhwana.

I use to have a two foot length of ash with a large bulb of wood on the end. It was known as a "pulp stick" in the paper mills. Used to throw the paper tails into the rollers and to tap the rolls of winding paper to test the winding tension. I gave it to a girlfriends daughter when she left for college. The truckers have a similar stick called a tire thumper. Walmart carried a bunch of Little League aluminum bats that were of a good size to weild inside a vehicle too. Good crack side the head or across the fingers would discourage any modern day thug as well as the shillelagh did in Victorian England and Ireland.

• 2 weeks later...