MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Beet question

Dee

I've got a bumper crop of beets almost ready. I pickle some and can some but with so many this year I'm wondering if anyone has any other good ideas/recipes?

Thanks!

I boil them, slip 'em out of their skins, cube them and then bake them with a bit of butter, salt & parsley!

The greens we stir-fry, steam like spinach, and last night, I even put layers of beet greens and zucchini in the lasagne. It was great!

(I really shouldn't come into the kitchen while I'm hungry. I'd better go get dinner started!)

I wash em, roast them in the oven at about 400 degrees for about an hour, slip the skins off and eat! They are kind of like carrots because they get a little sweet when roasted.

You can eat the greens too if you like.

I like to roast them, then cool them down and slip the skins off... then chill in the fridge (cover the container they are in or use plastic wrap so they do not dry out). When they are thorughly chilled... slice into "rounds" no thicker than 1/4 inch, put several on a plate (I like to put about three or four slices - slightly stacked on the edges per person), then sprinkle with a little ground sea salt, drizzle some extra virgin olive oil and then drizzle a lttle QUALITY balsamic vinegar over it. Serve chilled - just as described as a cold salad. Another variation includes sprinkling crumbled feta cheese on top and sliced roasted almonds.

Another yummy use of beets is beet puree (roasted, skins slipped off and then blended to a puree with a food processor) with a bit of salt, some butter and what ever herbs you like (dill, oregano, thyme, etc) and then add heavy cream to create a smooth but somewhat stiff puree - chill thoroughly and then serve a dollop as a festive "color" to a meal. I like this beside grilled pork chops and scalloped potatoes.