MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

dehydrating food

this is one way to prepare......i have dried apples and strawberries yummmmm ; and peaches and pears (which turn brown), so now i just can the peaches and pears and have bought them freeze dried......have dried cabbage(shred and put on trays) then in dehydrater.....use for soup mix also have made zucchini chips and used them in casseroles and kids use them camping also carrots and green beans and peas .....i made a soup mix with a bunch of dried veggies and then add some beef or chicken bullion.......then when it is cooking add some rice and a can of already canned beans(kidney, black, pinto or cannelini or whites) i can these and store them away for soups or a quick dinner.....some times i add potatoes and noodles........you can use the dehydrater to dry noodle that you make when you have a surplus of eggs....have made fruit roll ups too and you need to cover the trays with a liner made for making fruit rolls.....they are good.......take care and keep the faith darleneclothesline

motherearth or anybody in the know,

Do you believe it is cheaper for me to purchase large bags of frozen veggies such as broccoli at my Costco and dehydrate them myself or would it be cheaper for me to just buy them already done online? I don't have a garden so it would have to be store bought goods for me. I would appreciate anybodys opinion before I begin such a venture!

I have a garden but due to not-so-great conditions, we do not produce much abundance. I have been buying the LARGE bags from Walmart and dehydrating them. I think it MUST be cheaper....but that's been an assumption. Especially with shipping or the high cost at a health food store. Since I'm doing the labor and dehydrating costs...it BETTER be cheaper...LOL

Anyone else done the actual figures?

MotherEarth....or anyone, how do you home package your dehydrated stuff? I've just been putting them in freezer ziplocks and then into buckets. Most are in a dark, cool basement. Don't have a sealer. shrug Anything else I should do?

PS: we are naturally very dry here.... I think I could dehydrate butter if I left it on the shelf.....{just KIDDING}

MtRider

I would definately think it would be cheaper to do it yourself.

Mt. Rider, I have always packaged my dehydrated goods exactly the same way you described, and my dehydrated food is still good after two years. Even though I think I could go longer, I'm going to pack this year's dehydrating with a vacuum sealer. I think you're just fine.

I guess it's all depending on how you count your cost?? KWIM?

by the time I bye numorous pounds of carrots, prepare them, dehydrate them, buy the bags, etc. to store them...or pick up a nice little done deal at Harmony House... smile

Here's the deal, I'm a homeschooling mother of seven children. Time is of the essence. I have all these "wanna do's" and can't seem to squeeze it in.

So, for right now, I've decided to let someone do some of the dehydrating for me.

I got 16 containers of dehydrated vegies (packaged to last 5-10 yrs) free strawberries and free shipping for 89.95. For me, it was the money saving, time saving, stress saving thing to do.

http://www.harmonyhousefoods.com/Vegetable...t_p_0-1845.html

You know, I think you're right. I failed at properly dehydrating some stuff about a decade ago and it got moldy.

Best not to risk it and leave it to the pros, if we can afford it. I'm betting a place like harmony house can do it better than I can, and can retain more of the nutrients.

I've dehydrated a LOT of foods over the years and am in fact getting ready to dehydrate cherries but it's mostly been my own home grown foods. I have done frozen mixed veggies on sale and like the taste of them just fine.

All of the dried foods I've had have kept well but I often freeze them first for a while before storing some where dry. Last year I vacuum sealing them and I believe they will store even longer. They also take up less room that way.

I do like the idea of getting them already prepared and ready to store for 5 to 10 years but for us the benefit of having our own organic produce and having to do all the work outweighs all the convenience.

For me, It's also a matter of having the knowledge and experience of doing it all myself because we might not always be able to just order it already done. I needed to know the best way to process, the best drying conditions, the best storing conditions and how to use the home dried product.

There is also that inner desire not to give up any more of my own care to others than I have to. Don't get me wrong. I have given over that care many times in the past when I was unable or unwilling to do the extra work but I have lately taken it back despite the fact that my health is slipping. I felt that with the SHTF being so prevalent now that I needed to make sure I could still do it. I've found that not only can I but that I really enjoy taking back the controls. It IS difficult, it IS tiring and I'm certainly not doing as much as I'd hoped but it gives me a feeling of security that has given me some peace in a crazy world.

(Plus, I use preparing the fruit I'm doing now as an excuse to SIT! Isn't that what our grandmothers did when they sat on the porch shelling peas? LOL)

bighug

I made the judgement call that buying online and getting a stash of dehydrated vegetables was worth it to me.

I dehydrated a pound of frozen carrots (bought for .89 cents) and then looked at the small amount that I was left with. 56 oz of dried carrots, sealed into a jug was $19.95. I bought the online veggies.

BUT (isn't there always a but?) I own a dehydrator and have been making jerky and dried fruits as snacks for about 5 years, off and on. I know how to do it, so it was down to price and convenience. To me, there wasn't enough of a price break to make up for the convenience.

As I grow my own food, or got to U-pick places, absolutely I'll be dehydrating my own!

Be willing to mix and match methods to best suit yourself. To me, that is one of the most interesting bits of prepping.

I too was amazed that after slicing up a bag of carrots and celery that I was literally left with a handful or so of veggies. I just keep thinking that this would be great in a BOB or camping, or veggie soup in a jar....that kind of thing.

Right now, as a teacher, I'm on summer break - no $$ coming in until the end of August and then, it will be MOST welcome!

So, I'm doing ALL my own dehydrating. The only drawback is that I need more of that slick paper for fruit leather and new plastic for the racks, mine is really old.

Like ME & Mother, I store my veggies in a zip-top bag and then shove it in a jar until I get it full. Then, I add it to a bucket with a dessicant packet (in the NW we DO have LOTS of moisture!)

The banana and apple chips never exist longer than a few days because they're SO GOOD! smile

Check out Bulk Foods,

http://www.bulkfoods.com/dried_fruits.asp?referer=godrifru

They have what I think are excellent prices on dehydrated fruits and veggies.

You will need to put them in containers though and either vacuum seal the container or put in some oxygen absorbers.

most of the dehydrated food is either stored in vaccum bags or i have them in canning jars and vaccum packed......seasoning is bought in 1 lb bags and then those bags are put in vaccum bags and sealled with seal a meal........and then stored in back room in large totes and buckets and marked.......we use alot of it for cooking and putting in muffin and cookies and cakes and pie...put up pie filling in quart jars and it is canned ......have never had a problem with the food in vaccum bags...take care and keep the faith darleneclothesline

do any of you know if there are any potential health issues/concerns we should know about with the chemicals they use when dehydrating foods? Does it affect taste?

* Potassium Sorbate

* Sulfur

Sulfur sounds bad, but is it really?

Thanks!

as far as i know it does not affect the taste , but as far as health poblems??????that i do no know ...sulfur isto keep the veggies and fruits bright and not turn dark .....take care and keep tha faith

I just dehydrated some peaches and nectarines...I just dip them before putting in the dehydrator in water with Fruit Fresh mixed in and they come out very nice colored..not all brown and yucky. It is easy to find, easy and safe to use and I use it pretty often. It also keeps forever!

Hello all! I feel as though I know most of you already. I've been lurking here now for a few months. Finally a few weeks ago, I signed up, and now finally, I'm making my first post, lol! I was so worried about being tracked on here - a friend had warned me about it, and said "don't post any info on those forums!"

Well, I'm either letting my guard down, or I'm just too eager to share in this place, you are all so great, and so many times, when I'm reading, I think, oh, I'm just like her, or wow, that is a great idea!

At any rate, here I am, and glad to be here:o)

I've done alot of drying foods over the years, and since we have little extra money for prepping, I've been drying most of our own fruits and veggies this year, instead of buying. But then, I have more time - our soap business isn't very busy right now(I wonder why?) :), and my 2 teen daughters pitch right in. The only cost is the electric to run the dehydrators, although the shady back seat of a car on a warm day works great, too! smile

welcome6 I'm glad you joined and posted too!

There are some really wonderful people on this site. I am constantly amazed by all of the knowledge represented here and the generosity with which it is shared!

lovemrss

Thanks so much for the welcome - there seems to be more information here than any other forum, and it's filled with such great folks, THAT'S what I like! smile How does everyone do those really neat smiley people???

Hi Homesteader6 WELCOME!

I'm so glad you came out of lurkdom to join in!

To get the smilies click on the reply button at the bottom of someones post. It will take you to a white area where you can type in your response. Above that white area you will see a yellow smilie face guy. Click on him and a whole world of smilies will open up for ya. See------> wave

star

Wow, that is so cool, thank you!

So, back to dehydrating food - I've been drying lots of strawberries this year, and found that is I spray my trays with pam, this helps get the berries off when they're dried. This isn't a no-no, is it? This is our first year that our strawberry patch is producing dumploads, I've always had to buy them from the Amish here, but no more, yay!

homesteaders6, I'm more afraid of my neighbors than internet weirdoes that are interested in preparedness. I doubt any of y'all are going to track me down and drive/fly to Missouri to eat my food. Now, the pot smoker down the street DOES scare me. smile

balloons Welcome to MrsS, homesteader6! Another way to do smilies is to learn the "code" of some of your favorites and just type them in. This will work in the "Shout box" (right column), and in Quick Reply (below, which doesn't take you to the page with smilies). Example: for this one star you type : star : >/balloons.gif" alt="balloons" title="balloons" height="32" width="32" />

As for keeping fruit, etc from darkening...I dip anything that might darken in lemon juice and water. Drain it well or you'll be forever dehydrating it. Yep, I hear you, LaBelleVita. At least I know what's IN lemon juice... LOL

MtRider

welcome3 Glad you are here. I don't post often, but am here most days and learn sooooo much! Spraying your drier trays with Pam is fine - have done that for years. Need to bring our drier inside now and get going with Strawberries which are just now in season in the Pacific Northwest. Enjoy!
Originally Posted By: TeamBettendorf
Now, the pot smoker down the street DOES scare me. smile

Maybe you should stock a bunch of Doritos and marshmallows to throw to him if he gets close. That ought to send him home happy!
:slingshot:

Thanks, Pansy and MtRider! I will keep doing that, then. I've done it in past years, but have never dried as much as I am this year. I've also been trying different ways to preserve my goat cheese, making hard cheese, and even drying soft cheese. It turned out pretty good! Don't know what I can use it for yet, though, but give me time, I'll think of something crazy . The other day I tried drying our fresh eggs, too, but I think if I do that, I'll just do egg whites, it was a little funky. My dehydrator is an american harvest with different temps on it, so I can do my herbs one day, and do jerky or something that needs a high heat the next. I have another dehydrator that's just about on the other side of useless bangwall , so I put the bad base on the bottom, the good AH part on top, then sandwich all the trays from both in between, that gives me a fan on the bottom and top, and 11 trays in between, yay! It goes about 24/7 during this time of year.