MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mt_Rider

Update!WitHOUT WARNING #4...Sudden Mass Violence

Ok folks. Today is Nov 14, 2015. We've all just read in horror about the ISIS attacks in Paris. We're watching refugees fleeing the turmoil in the Middle East. We're aware that not all are actually 'refugees'. :( The original posting date of this Practice Scenario was July 3, 2008. Over 7 years ago. Our world is different now. More harsh. In fact, it's looking a LOT more like the 1960's of my youth. The reference from which I drew experience in writing this Practice Scenario. Thought it might be time to dust this one off and look at it with a new point of reference. For some of you, it will be new. Folks....I do not want any of us from MrsS to stand in shock and stunned disbelief at a developing situation some day....when we should be taking offensive or defensive ACTION! That is the ONLY REASON for scenarios like this one. EYE WIDE OPEN, folks. :(

==============================================

Edited 5/1/09 to add for anyone who hasn't read this UNreality Scenario before: If you are getting overly fearful in our tumultuous times [economics, flu, etc] do NOT read this scenario right now. It is a potential but you don't need to scare yourself with worrying about one more thing. Go read something in the Humor Forum instead. When you know you are ready...then see what this might teach you. grouphug.gif

===============================================

Note: If you are new or have not read any in the Without Warning UNreality game series...please click here to read the Purpose and the "rules" of the game.

http://mrssurvival.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=27518

WITHOUT WARNING -- # Sudden Mass Violence

If you are young enough, this one may be hard for you to imagine ever happening in this country. It sounds so alien and improbable. But for those of us who endured the late 60’s/early 70’s, we have only to think back and remember....

I was a senior in high school. Seventeen. I was on the track team and our school bus of girls was driving back to the Quad Cities on Interstate 80. It was just dusk; light enough to see yet, but soon would be dark. The Interstate passes by Iowa City. There is a large university there and the students had, unknown to the bus driver or two female coaches, exploded into rage and protest over the Tet Offensive.

One minute I was talking on the trivial and foolish topics of teen girls, and the next, I saw what I have never forgotten. Thousands of people boiling over the ridge and coming down the hill towards the Interstate. More people than that-farm-girl-I-was had ever seen in her life in one place. It looked like the frenzy of a stirred ant hill. Students protesting for peace with the intent to VIOLENTLY vent their passions. With the intent to make a scene. With the intent to do violence against those innocently passing by...including a bus load of teenaged girls.

Our bus came to a complete stop as we came into the riot. Cars were being rocked, battered, and some were overturned. Windows were being broken. Screaming, yelling, running....lots of running about. Chaos....so quickly. No WARNING. I don’t remember terror. I doubt many of us actually took in the extent of the danger. It was so incredibly unreal to us. We had absolutely NO point of reference. Nothing we'd previously experienced told us how to respond. Of course we’d been hearing for years about the [1960s-70s] campus rioting. But having never seen it in person, and suddenly being engulfed by it... that was COMPLETELY different. I believe I watched as though I was still seeing a newscast on TV. Not viewing it LIVE out of the school bus windows. Likely with eyes large and wide though.

I remember seeing one teacher run to the back of the bus and crouch there at the emergency back door. The buses of that era had no way to lock this door. She could only grasp the handle from the inside and hold on, hoping to keep out any who tried to intrude. The other teacher braced herself in the stairwell of the front door. The mechanism on these doors block them shut but a body slam to the middle hinge can pop it open. She was there to prevent that. Hopefully. The driver was very tense, focused on trying to very slowly wind the bus through the mess. Trying not to hit other vehicles. Trying not to run into the masses of people surging past the bus. I think I got my first clue to the danger from those actions. We were ordered to keep seated and keep the windows UP! (We should have been told to get to the floor...and cover our heads with our bags from the possibility of flying glass and thrown debris.]

There were no cell phones, naturally, way back then. Nor was there even a CB radio installed on the school buses. We had no communication out. There was fighting, not only between the owners of the cars and the rioters, but others. So many people and everyone was fighting....and running. I can only assume, reflecting on it these years later, that the National Guard must have been there too. Perhaps the initial riots began in Iowa City and later spilled out to the Interstate. [though by now, likely the Interstate is engulfed by the growth of that city... shrug.gif It wasn’t then in that location.] I do not remember hearing shots fired. It was not a time of so many firearms in that era. More likely were Molotov Cocktails (gasoline bottle 'bomb's). There may have been those...but my memory is cloudy. Nothing close to us. Mostly the running...chasing...rocks being thrown....running....mass chaos...swirling in the lights of the vehicles.

Somehow, our bus was able to pass through the frenzy. I can only say that God must have had his Hand around that bus. There were a few impacts of a rock (?) hitting or someone’s hand. But nothing more than that. No broken windows. No attempts at either door that I was aware of.

Having been responsible for other people’s children during my professional career, I have a new appreciation for those three adults responsible for the lot of us that night. We drove past the overturned cars. Another bus. Damaged cars and violence. Somehow we drove clear of the affected area. It was very slow. We were stopped many times for long periods. I seem to recall the crowds thinning out of the area towards the end. Then we could move a bit more. Not so many people. Other vehicles that could, were moving too. Perhaps the riot migrated or it was dispersed by the total darkness that had fallen as this drama played out. I do remember that our parents were at the high school to pick us up and that we were incredibly late. I’m sure that they stopped somewhere to make a call at a pay phone; to let everyone know of that we would arrive late but safe. The whole night was very long ago and very surreal in my memory.

But this sort of scene happened over and over and over in THIS United States not so very long ago. People were injured and killed in this time of civil unrest. A lot of property was damaged. Protesting for Peace with Violence. Go figure. shrug.gif

But do not be uninformed about this. It most certainly CAN happen again. Maybe you harbor a comforting thought deep inside that the food riots in other parts of the world are only possible in other parts of the world . If so, then you are not adequately preparing your mind and emotions to ACT quickly and decisively if you would ever encounter this type of scene. We all pray this will never again happen here....but.... {snort} I vacillate between being Pollyanna and Pooh's Eeyore. It is a balancing act we all do. But we're going to push on that balance a bit with this Scenario.

========================
So this week’s UNreality Scenario is this:

I want you to create this Scenario so that it is up close and personal to you. You have to make some choices in creating it for yourself.

1) You (and your family?) are in the car going about some usual activities. Groceries, getting gas, picking up kids from school, going to/from work, having a picnic, going to church...whatever. Chose one right now. (Actually, you should run thru several of these but chose a specific one to start with.)

2) You have with you, whatever you would usually have with you for that occasion. You (and your family) are dressed in the manner that you would usually be dressed for such activities. Make a mental list of this and picture how you are dressed. (this may or may not make a difference)

3) Now picture a location that you would drive by during the course of whatever activity you are “doing” in this Scenario. A location of a gas station or a grocery store. It doesn’t need to be one that you plan to go to. You can get sucked into violence just passing by. ......... [if you plan to go to a gas station or grocery store today...you COULD run this scenario as though you are in the checkout or pumping your gas...... cuz that could happen too.]

4) Without Warning, violence erupts.....faster than you could possibly imagine unless you’ve seen this before. Suddenly you are surrounded by enraged people, all shouting, running, breaking things, throwing things, and hitting. Cars are moving erratically.... Or coming to abrupt stops - because their drivers are staring in shock or because the traffic is snarled and blocked. There is a distinct POPing noise. Some of you will recognize this sound and take action. Some of you will not. Swirling mass of people. You cannot even tell how large the crowd is. You can’t see that clearly and certainly can't see which way is the closest to being out of the mess. Loud cacophony of sound...shouts, screams, curses, smashing (glass, cars?), horns blaring. Your blood pressure is pounding in your ears so hard that you cannot hear well. These sounds become muted. Your head becomes foggy with the overload of adrenaline and other chemicals that pour out when a sudden crisis occurs. Cold sweat? Shaking hands? Is that your mouth screaming...joining the rest of the noise? Maybe you are reacting right now...just thinking about this? Take note of it!!!

[ now, take a breath...this is still UNreal....today]

Think of how your body has reacted when you have been confronted with a sudden crisis in the past. Maybe not to this magnitude. Maybe a car accident. Or an injury. Or bad weather event. Remember (though this can be very uncomfortable...it IS instructive) back and recall how your body responded. How you chose to act during that.

Now write down, as this UNreality Scenario plays in your mind, what you believe you should/would do.

It’s OK if you have to sit and think about this for a while. It’s OK if you think you might just sit and stare and pray for someone to make it all stop. It’s OK because today....this is all quite UNREAL. What would NOT be OK is for you to do that if it was REAL. If you draw a complete blank on what you should do, well, keep reading here and see if we can get some ideas, precautions, and strategies flowing amongst us.

And I’m going to be watching with all the rest of you.

A word of caution: Some here do legally carry concealed weapons. Please be discreet and sensible when describing anything....this is an open forum.

As I mentioned, it would be a good idea to run this Scenario thru mentally several times using a variety of your daily activities as a starting point. What would you do with and without the kids? Dressed for church or dressed casually. Night or daytime. Winter/summer/rain/clear. How do these factors effect your plan of action?

grouphug.gif I know some of you will have more trouble with this one. It’s meant to be a stretch. Just don’t freak yourself out! That will not help you. Don’t be playing these Scenarios if they become so real to you that you can’t handle them. Be responsible for yourself. They are UNreality exercises. Only that.

MtRider [didn’t particularly like remembering that night either... what unsettled times those were..... ]

Edited by Mt_Rider
Renewing this for Nov 14, 2015

OH MY MT_R, You have outdone yourself with this one. I have been in mass panic situations but not in mass violence.

Because I can't imagine a mob scene like this on our country roads nor in the small town near us I'm going to set my scene in the most likely area, a larger town near us which is about the only place we go lately. The most likely scene would be either gang related but I could easily picture this happening with rationing or food shortages (though I can't imagine us being out and about at that point).

DH would probably be driving. The first thing that came to mind though was to lock the car door and make myself as small of a target as possible.

We don't carry guns but we do have weapons and I am assuming that eventually, after the innitial shock, they would come to mind and we'd reach for to have them handy just in case.

I would try to assess the situation, looking for the center of the violence and a way for us to get our vehicle out of the area or at least away from the center of violence. That could be difficult as we would most likely be at the grocery store or gas station that is connected with it. With the tight area lof the gas station lot it would probably be congested with people and cars very fast. The grocery store lot would offer very little escape with cars parked in rows and I'm assuming if there is a mob it is going to be packed but at least it has several exits instead of just the two the gas station has.

Thankfully today we have cell phones to call for help but if this situation comes about after a national disaster it's possible that there would be no communication.

An awful vision comes to my mind that we would have to watch people being injured and not be able to help them without putting ourselves in more danger. It would be difficult for someone to break out our windows with only a blow or two as I believe they are shatterproof but I'm sure I would not be thinking of that.

I can't imagine us driving through a crowd with the possibility of hurting someone but I do believe that if the mob was connected with a SHTF scenario I'm pretty sure that neither of us would hesitate if it meant our lives. That really scares me to realize that even.

After learning so much here at Mrs. S about being on the road in the motor home last year I feel we'd probably be more aware of what is going on around us and perhaps avoid some of the problem. After a couple weeks on the road we got in the habit of watching what was happening around us.

This is a tough one to write about as it would be anyone's guess what might happen and what we might have to do. I suspect that if that were to happen in our area it would mean out and out chaos. I would be headed for home as fast as I could get myself out of that situation..

Thanks Mt_R. that sure made me think.

bighug

Okay here's my shot at it. We live waaay out, but we attend church, buy groceries and gas on a main highway, about five miles away. I'm giong to set the scene as we've been to church on a Wed. night and planning to stop by the store on the way home as we often do. I'll pick WalMart for this situation.

The Highway can get congested at certain times, lots of people living down in this county that work in Birmingham and then if it is a college football weekend, it's very crowded as well, cause this is the straight shot path to Auburn University (WAR EAGLE). So, I'm going to assume that there's been some hurricane activity down on the coast and a lot of people are trying to "go north" and escape the worst of it.

While in church, we are unaware that things have become as congested as they have. By the time we are ready to go, traffic is practically at a stand still and tempers are flaring. It's hot, even at nearly 8pm and getting dark and people are anxious to GO...but they're going no where first.

We'd have several options, each leading to problems of their own.

1) We could go back in the church and try to wait it out (usually about 100 on Wed nights - a lot of teens attending youth group).

BUT, what if stranded people decide that the church might be a good place for them to turn to also, perfectly reasonable decision. We'd find ourselves in a "shelter situation" with strangers when our home was just five miles on the other side of that highway and using back roads, very safe from this mess.

2) So, we could try to maneuver through the halted traffic, driving on shoulders, across medians, etc, trying to get across the highway. I'm assuming any thoughts of going to the grocery store/Walmart at this point, would have been given up.

BUT, if this traffic is packe like sardines, how could we maneuver. I can imagine some wrecks, maybe a substantial pile up. Perhaps this is when the violence starts, maybe some travelers have weapons with them, maybe the weather is turning nasty in our area by this point??

One thing I would be glad of, we'd all be together. One thing I'd insist on, is that we stayed that way...together. We always have to take two vehicles everywhere we go, so many kiddos, but I'd want us to all stay or all go.

I guess the bottom line would be .... stay put at the church and try to wait it out??? or decide we can make it home where we would stay put until we were sure it was safe to venture out.

This was a good exercise, I am still struggling with envisioning such a thing, never having been a part of anything like it.

What I've learned...don't think that just because you're only five miles from home that you can't get stuck and not able to get home safely!!! Must improve car emergency kit!!

((((MtRider)))

I imagined we were at the gas station just 3 blocks from our house. Who knows where the mob came from or what they want...heck, these days a court ruling sets people into the street looting and maming. Dh was pumping gas when the chaos appeared on the street heading our way. He immediately jumped in the van and locked the doors. As people flooded around our vehicle screaming obscenities and brandishing weapons I directed the children to unbuckle the carseats next to them and hit the floor. Do NOT look out the windows. I was concerned about the disturbing images haunting them later on.

Depending on the violence level and what I see happening to the other folks in the parking lot we would have to decide whether to pursue escape or not. What are the other cars doing and are they able to move or does that enrage the mob and they attack? Does the mob want something or are they just angry? Are they headed elsewhere and how quickly? We are generally pretty calm in stressful situations.

What if Jeff was in town and I was home with the kids? We need a safe place to meet in case we can't communicate with eachother.

So, what was the pop noise?

Prayed2bamom, You could drive the opposite direction of the horde. Even if it mean driving out into the country 20 miles. Then wait an hour and sneak back in for a peek to see if you can now return home. smile

I'm not going to give this much thought - just start typing away. I think it's best to approach scenarios "cold," so to speak, as real life sometimes comes at us quickly.

My dh is 30 miles away. I am 12 miles from home (toward the same direction that dh is), taking the kids to a sports activity. I'm wearing clothing appropriate for the weather, and probably good shoes. On the rare occassion that I wear flip flops, my good shoes are in the car. The kids are in their sports uniforms - it's an indoor sport, but lucky for them, Mt_Rider set this scenario today, so it's warm. They are wearing sandals, but they're everyday sandals aren't too bad, if we need to walk.

We leave the facility, heading toward the freeway and find mobs roaming the street. Here? In this affluent community? Weird. Man...I'm trying, but I just can't picture it...Hmmm...Maybe we get on the freeway, drive it a ways, then get off near home... We pass a grocery, next to a strip mall, also with a bar and a gas station on the corner. Okay that I can picture. Somebody's gotten drunk, mad about gas prices and is gonna take it out on the Starbucks.

Okay, we're in the minivan. Popping noise? That's gunfire. "Kids!! Unbuckle and lay on the floor. I'm serious! Right now and without questions. Pray for protection and be quiet!" I try to see where the threats are, but the sun is in my eyes and there are people everywhere. I lift my shirt to expose my (legally) concealed weapon, but I don't draw, as I may need both hands to drive. The doors are alreay locked, but I unconsciously check them with my left hand.

I consider crossing the median...it may pull something off the bottom of my vehicle, but I don't think it will disable it. I could get thru the intersection on the wrong side of the road. I could make a u-turn. I could make a legal left turn and hope things are better behind that drugstore over there. From there, I can get away from this congested area and head toward home. Actually from here, I can go any direction and find my way back home.

This raises a question for me: Should I forgo listening to CDs in the car and just listen to the radio? If a situation is breaking out, I may hear about it on the radio and be able to avoid it.

If we end up needing to leave the vehicle, it's about 2.5 miles, mostly uphill. I have a magazine in my pistol, and a spare in my purse. I have water, e-blankets, backpacks, e-rations and other 'survival' stuff in my car. We could get home...wouldn't be fun, but we could. I also know of a wilderness area, near the riot area, but on the way home, where we could hunker down for a night. My kids are old enough to keep quiet to keep safe.

I do have a cell phone and can certainly call for help, but I'll assume help is not close enough.

If we are still in the vehicle and someone approaches it, attempting to break windows, I will perceive that as an immediate threat, and draw my weapon. I will fire if needed. OTOH, if someone smashes my bumper with a bat and moves on to do the same to the next car, I'll bite my tongue and hold my fire.

Sorry this is a bit disjointed, but like I said at the begining...I'm just typing off the top of my head.

Ok, I'll put some thought into this one tomorrow.... but if anyone pops onto this post and says "gee, this happened to me today" I'm blaming prayed2bamom and Mt Rider!

eek Me?? DarleneSwoon

But, but, but, I am totally innocent!! darlene

MtRider is truly the evil mastermind behind these scenerios!! darlene2

Hey! Don't throw tomatoes at the messenger! LOL Actually, I'd totally forgotten that we're going into a holiday weekend when I wrote this yesterday. A summer holiday weekend where they usually scalp us for gas price anyway. mad I forgot and am way low on gas too....but I'm not going to a gas station & pay "Holiday Weekend" prices. I'm going to cycle thru the gas that is in the 5 gal. container. I'll get gas another time. laugh

So you combine a traditional drinking and partying weekend with high gas prices...somebody gets stooopid...... shrug Let's be careful out there this weekend..... 'K?

grouphug

This Scenario is a tough one. This is one I certainly HOPE we don't see LIVE out of the windows of our vehicles. Yes, Katie! Keep the kids from viewing it!

And HSmom, yep! You got it! The last person to recognize the sound will be the last person to Hit The Deck. [some dear college friends visited Isreal decades ago. While at one remote site near a border, ONE member of their group recognized a SPLAT sound as bullets landing near them...from a long way off. He got them off of that hillside FAST!]

MtRider [don't really like this scenario myself... icky...but.....]

Excellent scenario.

I cannot imagine this in my area, as we are so rural. The nearest town is so small there is no traffic light. This would have to happen in a city. So, I would have to picture it when we are on a prep run to the city, to stock up.

We're in the truck. The back is loaded with our monthly stock up, and we have been to our last store for this run. DH is driving, as he always does when we're together (he makes a lousy passenger *grin*).

Suddenly the streets are over-flowing. There has been a riot at the federal prison on the edge of town. Somehow, there was a massive breach of security. Convicts are loose. They are trying to hijack cars to effect their escapes.

It is legal to carry a weapon in one's vehicle. But we must first get it out of its case and load it *grumble*. I work on that while DH wheels, as the situation is looking grim.

Clearly, I would not fire unless there was no choice. But neither would I allow someone to harm us. The first choice would be to drive around the madness and to use an alternate route if we could.

I would type more, but the goats need attention. wink

I will have to think on this one. I can't picture it happening here. I don't carry a weapon, I don't trust my tremor to let me shoot it accurately. I don't shop where there are many people and it would be hard to get a mob in our local towns, even if everyone turned out. We may have to go on vacation for this one. I could easily see it happening to dh on the road and we have run through those scenarios and prepped him for them. I will get back to you.

Joyfully,

Cheryl

We have lots of people here this weekend, so I'll have to type out our scenario when everyone goes home, or if I can find a few free moments.

But it will be easy for me to do. I've lived this scenario mentally hundreds (thousands?) of times, in many many different locations and situations.

I grew up in California between Berkely and Sonoma Universities.

We had earthquake drills, bus drills (because of the Zodiak killer shooting kids on buses), and nuclear disaster drills. With all the college riot stuff going on, we learned early in life what places to avoid.

And we all...even the most feather-brained...learned to always notice everything going on around them all the time in case things started to blow up.

It created a lot of fearful kids, unfortunately. frown And sadly, few of us had the innocence to believe that a stranger could be a friend.

I remember in jr. high and high school, even before I saw a crowd or heard a raised voice, my insides would get tight if there was going to be a fight. I'd stop and look around, and unlike some of the kids, I'd walk the other way, even if it meant missing hte bus home. I wasn't the only one walking away.

Violence makes me sick...probably because I was raised in an area where we had to always be watching out for freaky insane people and violence. I hate the tight feeling I get before looking around to see what is happening, but I'm grateful for it too.

I remember one time...LOL...I was in a restaurant with a few friends. I guess a bus boy was having a bad day. He had a tray of dishes, walked into the kitchen, I heard him yell with anger, and saw thru the swinging doors as he threw the tray on the counter, smashing dishes.

I pulled out some money, laid it on the table, and left without a word to my friends. I waited by my car till one of them came out to see why I had left.

I wasn't going to stay in there and wait for this guy to draw a gun and shoot everyone up. LOL

Turned out he just went home, and nothing happened, so I reacted for no reason.

But am I sorry? Nope. I consider it practice. LOL

A few months ago, I took my elderly mom to the 'big city' about 50 miles away. We were in the parking lot of a Sears and I noticed a group of teens walking nearby. Nothing remarkable about them - typical high schoolers wearing their 'uniforms': goth, skater, gangsta, etc and I didn't feel threatened, but it did occur to me that if a major political event went down (fill in the blanks)things could get ugly fast. There will be those genuinely anguished and those genuinely interested in taking advantage of a situation. Both are dangerous.

And whatever goes down, the reactions will be swift, melodramatic and totally unpredictable.

My mom wants to go to St. Louis to visit a family gravesite and make her own arrangements. I do not want to take her - because I fear such a scenario developing on our trip. (She doesn't want to use the phone because she thinks she has better results in person. And she wants to see the graves of her mother and sisters one last time...)

Mt Rider, this scenario is a truly terrifying one, because if it happens when one is in a congested area, or away from home, it's like being at ground zero. I've been thinking about this for at least 4 months and I haven't come up with a plan yet (that doesn't involve my morphing into Jack Bauer...)

Mtn Mama, is your avatar from an engraving of Roland?

No, it's supposed to be Charles Martel (c. 732) so that would make him a little earlier than Roland. At least that's how it was credited. I need to do a bit more research on its origin and creator.

OK, I'll think of one....

We are on our way to drop of my husband at band practice. I am driving, as always and we have come into some traffic as we get close to town. We still have a ways to get and we figure maybe there is a game at the stadium nearby which is slowing down traffic.

Just as always we forget which exit to take to avoid such traffic and are stuck with no way to move out of place. It wouldn't matter anyway, we are on a one lane off-ramp that is a ways off the ground that leads directly into the parking lot to the events stadium.

Since it is blazing hot outside and our AC is broken our windows are rolled down. We are glad there is a breeze since the traffic is now at a complete standstill. Only a little longer and we would've been out, or so we think.

We hear some sort of noise and see some people from the cars in front of us getting out to look at something or to see what is keeping the traffic from moving, then we see it...there are people coming toward us. All the noise was from a huge mob of people, who knows how big because we can't see the whole thing. The people who had gotten out of their cars are jumping back in, some begin to run back toward the freeway. We sit there trying to figure out what to do, trying to figure out what is going on. Is there a fire and people are just running away from it, has something bigger happened? What's going on. We don't have enough time to think, or assess the situation when we see there are people being slammed into cars and being pushed into the guard rails not too far in front of us. People are running past our car.

My husband yells for me to roll up the windows. He starts to have a panic attack and thinks we are going to die. I manage to get the windows shut and make sure the doors are locked when someone gets slammed into our car and our daughter screams. I quickly turn to the back of the car and unbuckled both kids. I hand my daughter to my husband and tell her to get down by his feet and he bends over her. I unbuckle my disabled son who is still quite small and put him in the front seat with me. Then I grab the baby bjorn carrier that I have and put it on as quickly as possible so I can attach my son to me and not have him see anything if we have to make a run for it, I also don't want to lose my grib of him and have him knocked out of my hands if we have to abandon the car.

Since we are unable to move the car at all, still, and there is no way to turn around, I bend over as much as possible without squishing my son, but protecting him as much as possible. I am not down all the way and can still see what is going on outside. The mob seems to be getting larger. I still can't tell if it is just people running away or not, but there are still people getting shoved into cars, and then I see someone being pulled out of their car about 4 cars in front of me. The person is punched and hit then thrown toward the side rail. My daughter is screaming and my husband is quieted down and has regained his composure to help me think of a solution. Just when he is about to make a suggestion we hear some loud 'pops'. we assume only one thing and we bed down. There are lots more screams outside and then we hear people jumping from car to car to get through the mob. We hear someone jump on the top of our car. We only wonder how far they are able to make it.

We try to figure out what we will do. The violence is getting worse and the people are panicking even more. We wonder if there will be more shots, are they the police, where are the police? We realize we can't risk staying in the car any longer, but the only way to get anywhere is to run in the direction everyone else is running, once there we can veer off, maybe, the freeway and head to safety or at least somewhere that we can hide to give us a better chance then in the car. It's seemed like an eternity, but really only a few minutes. We give our daughter instructions and to hold on tight, we come up with a plan if we get separated and how to meet up. We don't know the city very well at all, we live an hour away.

ONce our plan is in order, as best and quickly as we could muster, we force the passenger door open. our door hits a few people and luckily they don't attack us. We see another person being pulled out of their car and beaten. We climb out the passenger side, as there is slightly less 'crowd' there, and begin to move our way through the people. Some people are no longer running, they are just fighting one another. Others like us are moving their way out. The trek through the mob is difficult and hard. We told our daughter to close her eyes and hold on tight but she is crying and scared. People are shoving into us but we try to stay as close together as we can. I have one hand on my son to shield him and with my other I am holding onto the back of my husband's clothing. he is in front of me, for the most part, making it easier to not get separated by people coming in between us. We pass a group of people trying to overturn a vehicle and then we see a clearing to get us off the road and we run for it. It isn't completely flat with the ground but we are able to climb over the side-rail and drop the 2 feet to the ground.

OK, so that's what I could think of. I sure hope nothing like this ever happens though.

Well I knew this one would be harder. To most of us, it is a pretty alien Scenario. Pray that it remains so!!!!!! But I'm glad some of you gave it a try. rahrah Many more read it and are pondering it. Just increase your awareness when you are out and about. For the odd individual or the increasing emotions of a group. Don't confuse "awareness" with "gettin' wigged-out". OTOH don't confuse "calm awareness" with "denial", "won't think about it", and --> sofa Balance right there in the middle. KWIM?

Some points that came out:

1) Be alert enough to note a shift from 'normal' around you.

2) Try to assess WHERE the trouble is and move away (not towards to see it...)

3) Protect the children from even viewing violence if possible

4) Be knowledgable on when it's escalating badly.... (know what gunshots sound like, when voices become strident, etc)

5) Due to the unpredictable nature of the situation, one has to keep reassessing it minute by minute. In one moment, be planning out Plans B, C & D and get ready to activate them as the need arises.

6) Assess those with you. Strengths, weaknesses (not always physical weakness), special needs, etc. Your Plans have to take that data into account.

7) Understand ahead of time that any totally alien situation can take on a very disturbing surreal quality. It can seem like one of those slow-motion dreams where you can't move right.

8) Communication with someone outside the immediate situation might bring assistance..or might be a comfort.

9) Personal defense needs to be thought out. At what point would you engage (rather than avoid) another peson? At what point would you injure? At what point would you inflict great bodily harm or kill in self-defense.

========================

Now mentally run the same Scenario again..... But this time the violence is a home invasion. Without Warning. It happens suddenly. Maybe your front door is kicked in. There is no doubt of serious trouble but it takes a moment or more (depending on if you watched the door burst in) to assess what's happening.

Wouldn't you use most of the principles listed for the Mass Violence in this situation as well?

============

Now mentally run the Scenario again...... But this time the violence is an act of Nature. Sudden massive dangerous storm that hits Without Warning. Earthquake, Tornado, Explosion, Whatever.

Wouldn't you use most of the principles listed for the Mass Violence in this situation as well?

=================

This is an important point:

I think we're starting to see a pattern here. We do not have to completely re-invent the wheel each time we encounter a crisis Without Warning. There are some general protocols that we should have engrained into us. They can be applied to many situations of crisis. We do not need to be left with our jawdrop jaw on the floor and our brain frozen up....because the crisis we suddenly face is alien to us. Activate these protocols that have been mentioned and you will have a beginning.

Any other general protocols that anyone can think of?

Does this help anyone who has struggled because they didn't think they could even begin this Scenario?

MtRider grouphug

:shakinghead: Where there is fear....there can be violence.

After reading about a potentially violent situation developing in a waiting room where folks needed to be tested for flu......

BUMP

Edited by Mt_Rider

I don't need to think of this scenerio. I was caught up in the London Riots some years ago. I had just been to a fair and was returning via Charring Cross Station, unluckily, my friend dragged me off to a book shop, and thus we go caught up in the riot.

The Trefalgar Square (sorry to early to remember how to spell) was filled with about 5,000 people, shoulder to shoulder. You couldn't hear yourself think.

We saw one lad kicking a public bin off its stand just for the heck of it, and other not so nice stuff. We had to walk for four hours just to find an Underground Station open to take us home.

It taught me that you can think your so tired you want to drop, but the energy comes from somewhere to see you through.

Edited by Purdy Bear

Bumping this to the top...

Yep, this is the one. Thanks, Cat! :hug3:

edited to add: Ick! Of all the Without Warning Scenarios, this was definitely my least favorite. I am so unfamiliar with crowds and such anyway...cuz I live and stay home in the boonies. Even if I've had this riot scene in real life so long ago, I'd probably freeze-frame :blink: for way too long anyway. {sigh} Perhaps a good review. The less shock we feel when something UNEXPECTED goes down fast, the faster and better we will begin to chose what we'll do next.

Guess I'm glad I was naive enough not to have been traumatized by this horrible event. BUT ignorance/naivete can get you killed! I'm the adult now. I've got to know how to react if it happens again.

MtRider [...kinda weird to read something written back in '09 :P ]

Edited by Mt_Rider

I've never been in any situation like this so its hard to judge what I'd do. I know...we're supposed to come up with a scenario! But just off the top of my head, the only times I've ever been in anything 'threatening'--and then just on a very minor scale, has been in, of all places, the Dollar Store--TWICE! The last one, I totally missed but there was some sort of argument going on between two customers at the cash....not sure how I missed it--I wasn't 'that' far away. Engrossed in my shopping apparently....

The other time it was very crowded in the store. As I headed down one aisle, coming towards me was a family with a man talking to them behind them. I didn't realize it then, but the mother and her kids had unwanted company. Apparently once there was some 'room', the teenage son defended his mom. The 'man' hit the young fellow. We did hear the ruckus around the store. The cashier was calling for the manager over the loud speaker "HURRY' she was saying. The security of the Mall was called and then the police took them away.

ok, lets say I have my ( daydream of owning a new 650 cc suzuki) motorcycle and I've decided to run to Plattsburgh one afternoon because Walmart has a better buy and things the local stores here don't have. Its got the sissy bar and I have my bungee cords and I brought my big pack, secured by them and filled with my purchases. ( This is just after I received retro VA disability ,k?) So I am feeling pretty good and although I am out of practice with motorcycle riding and driving I did manage to get there without falling over at a stop sign or light. I had taken the quiet backroads too, so that was helpful in my familiarity building of the area just then.

I am leaving walmart and pull out , left turn and in the fast lane and driving , with ears and eyes wide open cause I want to go take the Interstate home . This is towards the mall area which is on the right of the main drag in Plattsburgh coming from Walmart shopping area. I had noticed there were lots of young people in crowds and they do seem pretty animated, and out of the corner of one eye, on the left , I see three guys smashing a car window in , laughing and talking rudely as they reach in to strip the car of its possessions and come out with some big bags of stuff someone had put away while they either dined at a restaurant or did more shopping in another store... one of those 'oh, no!' moments. I can't stop and use my cell right at the moment so I shake my head and turn back to the road quickly.

I see others , crowds. Coming from the mall area and down the sidewalks. The next light is red and there are five cars ahead of me and some blocking me in on the slow lane. we are all stopped, waiting for the light. I see violent movement in the mall parking lot and hear glass being smashed and see a knot of persons in dark clothing , some are carrying signs rudely lettered from what I can see in lamplight and the fading sunlight, its not quite dark yet.

Not good. I see people bursting around the crowd busting out a restaurants windows and the bank windows. My bank. I see tellers scurrying behind counters and someone trying to lock the doors on the main street side before the rioters can get inside but that doesn't work.

I am flat out scared now, feeling like a sitting duck. I look ahead then, there is maybe 3 feet width of street down between the lanes. I am by no means really capable of shooting down the road , especially with all this truck on my bike and me. But I decide to try it, because those guys nearest me and some angry looking women are with them and some of them probably almost weigh as much as the bike and me and they see me sitting here....

I shift into gear and start going between vehicles beeping horn because I don't know if the drivers will suddenly crash open a door in front of me. I get past two vehicles and the rioters are starting to run into the street after me and at the cars stuck there. They are waiting for the light.

Somebody throws something , its got flame and I duck as it whizzes by my head and explodes as it hits the nice car next to me. Some jerk is starting to try and tackle me and I just floor it then and dodge him and some gal.

All kinds of bad words start forming in my head and I get mad but I know I need to just keep going. I need to get out of there and fast. I try to think that I have to relax some but its pretty hard cause now a whole bunch, hundreds of rioters ----- are running out amongst traffic and trying to open doors of cars and hitting people in the cars.

Hmm. Occupy Wall Street crowd or VTers , kids who are so bored thanks to the teacher strike over on the other side of Lake Champlain. I manage to knock one guy over as he is trying to dodge a man who gets out of his car with his CCW pistol and starts shooting . I about lay the bike down but manage to keep it upright and I wind through the last two cars ahead and avoid the last of the onturning vehicles coming from the left and zip past the bank that is now in flames and I can see fire and people erupting in violence and people getting out of their vehicles as the mob takes on the cars , trying to rock them over and busting windows and assaulting people. I manage to get past the next mall entrance road and theres more people ..... how the heck does Plattsburgh have this many bored people anyway??? I get out and around anything in my way praying the state cops show up soon as I am starting to hear what has to be more gunfire and screaming behind me . What I glimpse in my rear view mirror is not good and I do feel completely panicked , yet coldly determined to do what I have to.

My radio is playing in my ear in my helmet and there is a newsbreaking alert going on. Its the EURO crisis and China, economics...... and Iran. Universities all over the country and Canada, the students are all protesting whatever they want to protest, and it seems a coordination of attacks from the stealthier ones and the cartels , it all got coordinated for right now.... so I am not the only spot on the map having the problem. I catch that as I am starting to pull out and around a mob on the intersection where I get on the Interstate. Geez, there must be a thousand people running already in front of me, onto the on ramps and down along the Interstate and they are launching malatoff coctails at cars and truckers. Several angry sorts see my blue pack and my new bike and they start towards me. This is not a moment to pull out the cell and call for help. There is none. I reach down and pull out my little crossbows. I had figured out a rig that worked . I shoot one guy , centered it on his torso and pulled the trigger. It stops him with the bolt all the way into its tail and he and his friends look at each other and he falls as they turn again to me.... k..... I floor it and head straight at them and they scatter, I swoop to the right, just noticing its clear at the moment and get past them and three other groups intent on shaking another vehicles driver they managed to force to a halt and I go past, picking up speed. Now I am on sort of unfamiliar road but i know it will eventually lead back to familiar roads even if its getting dark. I see numerous small businesses with busted windows and fires breaking out now .

They have been at this in rapid succession. I find the route road I want not far down there and I go down it, the quiet growing as I pass a few more miles..... when it feels safe I pull over and pull out a soda. I need something and a moment to settle my nerves and think. Somehow I had put the crossbow back in its rig on the side of the bike. I load it and hold it, after parking the bike just the other side of a tree with the bike set to go directly back on the road at a moments notice. I take off my helmet and wipe the freezing sweat away from my face and look around slowly and carefully. I am away from the immediate threat and Im glad I don't have my plates yet. Because I had to shoot someone.

One thing, I wasn't the only one who had to shoot someone tonight. After I drink the soda and feel myself settle some and I can think my way home now from where I am, I get back on and slowly ride home in the darkening night. There would be things I would have to do once I got home.

This ride took longer but I had filled the tank again when I got to Plattsburgh so there was more than enough to make it at least. While I had been standing there drinking that soda and just breathing to calm down, I had heard sirens start up , finally. I made it home ok. That time. I still wouldn't be able to sleep I knew. I had plenty to do though. busy work? Cleaning my brand new rifle and at dawn I would go sight it in... and hope nobody knew who I was during the riot. Repainting the helmet as well.

What was on the radio was real bad... we were just one little spot on the map too. For things to get so out of hand here, I knew it was pretty well over for the whole country, what sanity and such we had been trying to maintain. It was horrible, all of it, but it had had to be done or I would never have gotten out of there. When I got home I put the bike in the shed. Out of sight. I carried everything silently inside and laid out my things and cleaned the new rifle and settled the shells and gear where they needed to be.

I put everything away and fixed supper and turned on the news. Only about half the channels were working in the first place,but I got an eyeful and an earful again. At midnight the president shut off the Internet, major networks of cell phones coverage and declared martial law, the riots were continuing and more were getting into it. I was glad at least so far nobody had started in on my little town. But they were surely going to be here soon.

Edited by arby

Thanks Arby! I feel so much calmer now! LOL Really good perspective!!!!! Great job!!!