MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mt_Rider

Update!WitHOUT WARNING #4...Sudden Mass Violence

I didn't read all of the responses but here is my imagined scenario:

Our family would be out grocery shopping. Our older daughter moved out into her own apartment a few months ago but she doesn't have a vehicle and often goes grocery shopping with us. She lives about a mile and a half away from our house. If we were suddenly swept up into mass violence in the grocery store parking lot we'd leave immediately.

The lot may be jam-packed with cars, but we'd drive over the grass to get out of the vicinity. Hubby was a cab driver many years ago and he knows all of the back ways and roundabout ways to get to anywhere in the city. On the other hand, I have a really good sense of direction when it comes to maneuvering through the rural areas. If it looked as though we shouldn't go anywhere near our house, we'd head toward my parents' house in the country and probably scoop up my sister along the way. She is legally blind and I wouldn't want her to be in her suburban apartment in the event that the civil unrest spread in her direction. I'd be calling/texting anyone that I could think of to warn them of what was coming and I'd encourage them to do whatever they had to do to protect their families.

At my parents' house, we'd unload the groceries and plan to stay there until things cooled off. We'd be following the news closely...

LOL Miki..... well nobody wrote about what it might be like riding a motorcycle through a bad mob situation and believe me if I saw that happening in Plattsburgh I would know it was orchestrated by the biggies and that it would spread. There just are not enough miscreants to amount to those numbers there or even from the region really, it would mean it was quite serious to me if this happened like that.

Most people are too busy working or taking care of things at home to bother with such nonsense as the occupy crowd, but we do have an international airport so it brings in alot of visitor types for the region. Also Montreal is just to the north, so you have border issues here too. That would be the most direct ways.

In the early 80s I was living in London [Clapham] when the riots from Brixton overspilled into the area I was living. I was a Nanny the majority of homes on this street had nannies and I had a net work of very good friends.

One friend needed a couple of things from the corner shop and rather than take a 5 week old and a 2 years old toddler out into the cold she left them with me, she was gone 2 minutes but came dashing back when a police officer told her to get home quick, as ther was trouble just up the road, she went and got 3 other nannies that we knew was on there own with there charges we put the 7 children into the back of the house, one person stayed with the children whilst 2 filled as many pans and containers full of water, someone else went upstairs and closed all the wooden window shutters.

I closed the window shutters downstairs and then took down the heavy curtains.

At one point there seemed to be hundreds of people running down the street, we had bricks thrown at the windows, somw people were throwing petrol bombs, thankfully not at the house we where in, it was scary, our bosses couldn't get into the area until the following morning because the police had cordened off the area and wouldn't allow anyone in.

My boss had told police that there was 7 babies and five defensless women in his house and it seemed that we had a police officers and there dogs close by most of the night.

I was really worried in case we where fire bombed, or the door was kicked in and the house looted, the babbies slept through it all and the toddlers thought it was a great game especially when I pulled a mattress of one of the beds and they all curled up together like puppies, they looked very cute.

The following day we nannies and our charges went on vacation for 10 days to the lake district, whilst things calmed down.

when a couple of months ago the riots spread from London and copy cat looting was happening in other cities including the city I now live [Manchester] I refuse to call it rioting what happened in Manchester, these creatures were there to cause as much mayhem as possible, smashing shop windows so they could loot and set fire, they used young kids on bikes with cell phones to act as lookouts for when the police came close, these kids would also throw missilies to draw the police away so the looting could carry on.

I live in the outskirts in a subdivision, I was reminded of the previous riots in London, I removed the closet doors, with a view to using them as window covering if needed, I moved the doormats from behind the front door, we have letterboxes cut into the front door which makes it easy for some one to pour petrol into your home, push light newspappers or even fireworks setting homes on fire. I moved my planters from the front of the house, eliminating possible missles being thrown at our windows and the refuse bin and 3 recycling bins where also moved. I also charged our cell phones, placed fire extinguishers close to hand as well as buckets of water. Daughter and I slept [cat napped] on the sofas. Thank fully the trouble didn't spread into the area we live.

Wow, ro2935, I am really impressed by the fast thinking of all you young women! :cheer: To gather the children and yourselves together, pour water, block entrance as you could... I'll just bet those parents thot they'd hired the best women in the country by the time they were kissing their babies the next day. Good for all of you!

MtRider

Ok folks. Today is Nov 14, 2015. We've all just read in horror about the ISIS attacks in Paris. We're watching refugees fleeing the turmoil in the Middle East. We're aware that not all are actually 'refugees'. :( The original posting date of this Practice Scenario was July 3, 2008. Over 7 years ago. Our world is different now. More harsh. In fact, it's looking a LOT more like the 1960's of my youth. The reference from which I drew experience in writing this Practice Scenario. Thought it might be time to dust this one off and look at it with a new point of reference. For some of you, it will be new.

EVEN IF YOU'VE READ THIS BEFORE, AND PERHAPS EVEN PARTICIPATED WITH YOUR OWN ANSWERS, YOU MIGHT WANT TO TRY IT AGAIN -READ IT THROUGH AGAIN....BASED ON TODAY'S HEADLINES.

Folks....I do not want any of us from MrsS to stand in shock and :blink: stunned disbelief at a developing situation some day....when we should be taking offensive or defensive ACTION! That is the ONLY REASON for scenarios like this one. EYE WIDE OPEN, folks. :(

One more point. Tho the 60s/70s were violent, the weapons were molotov cocktails, fire, fists, perhaps knives, overturning vehicles, and such. What was NOT present in that era were: guns, semi-auto rifles, suicide vests [and their occupants], airliners [and their fuel], pressure canners [and their contents], other means of large explosions........ So really, THIS SCENARIO IS MILD. {unfortunately}

So.....giving this one another bump to the top.

MtRider ....God help us all! :pray:

Edited by Mt_Rider

I am going to have to come back to this tomorrow. So, are we dealing with mobs or terrorist attacks in this one? Mebbe, both?

This OLD one is just to review....unless you haven't "played" in this sandbox yet. You can do or redo this mob scene one if you'd like.

I've got the next level of challenge down in The Edge:

http://mrssurvival.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=52308#entry435867

MtRider :sigh:...never really wanted to 'go to the next level'....

Edited by Mt_Rider

Bump! 

Albeit with some reluctance.... but ...

MtRider  :sigh:  

• Like 1

I went through these in my head, and charted out several on paper, before our sudden trip to NC last week. 

As it turned out, the trip was thankfully anticlimatic other than the very long delays in getting and packing the truck.  I'm not saying it went smoothly.  Picture two middle aged women and two poorly balanced, oversized cat-carriers in a fifteen-foot U-Haul truck (the kind nobody seems to realize is ALWAYS driven by an AMATEUR DRIVER?) hitting Atlanta at one-thirty in the morning only to find that when we got off the highway to get gas, the on-ramp was blocked off for construction and the detour one for a wreck, and we had to find another route that ended up with us on the beltway.  At that hour, her phone was dead and mine was dying.  I had to pull out my laptop to use as a backup battery,  or I would have been trying to read a paper map with a penlight and damaged glasses.  (I  had knocked my glasses off with the seat belt, somehow, and shut the car door on them.  My son bent them back into shape, but they are a bit scraped.  And the doctor's office has been closed down for a while.)  It all worked out, though.  

What if it hadn't worked out?  What if these detours had routed us into a metro area and then we taken one of our several bad turns straight into a riot?

• Sad 3

Posted (edited)

Sheeesh, Ambergris.  Sounds like some UNintentional adventures I've had.  One thing after another......  :gaah:  Glad all arrived safe back home!

I'm thinking.....each time this one gets bumped up, our IRL scenes from Internet/TV have been worse.  Back when I wrote this in '08, the violence of the 60's were a dim memory or before some were even born.  :sigh:   Not now.  

MtRider  :pray:   ...that these UNreality Scenarios stay in UNreality! 

Edited by Mt_Rider
spelling
  • Like 3

On 7/4/2020 at 9:57 PM, Ambergris said:

I went through these in my head, and charted out several on paper, before our sudden trip to NC last week. 

As it turned out, the trip was thankfully anticlimatic other than the very long delays in getting and packing the truck.  I'm not saying it went smoothly.  Picture two middle aged women and two poorly balanced, oversized cat-carriers in a fifteen-foot U-Haul truck (the kind nobody seems to realize is ALWAYS driven by an AMATEUR DRIVER?) hitting Atlanta at one-thirty in the morning only to find that when we got off the highway to get gas, the on-ramp was blocked off for construction and the detour one for a wreck, and we had to find another route that ended up with us on the beltway.  At that hour, her phone was dead and mine was dying.  I had to pull out my laptop to use as a backup battery,  or I would have been trying to read a paper map with a penlight and damaged glasses.  (I  had knocked my glasses off with the seat belt, somehow, and shut the car door on them.  My son bent them back into shape, but they are a bit scraped.  And the doctor's office has been closed down for a while.)  It all worked out, though.  

What if it hadn't worked out?  What if these detours had routed us into a metro area and then we taken one of our several bad turns straight into a riot?

Oh Ambergris, I wish I had known you were going I would have given you a better route than through Atlanta. We lived in Lillington NC which is half way between Ft. Bragg and Raleigh, NC. We were about 35 miles west of I-95 for seven years. We made the drive from Lillington to B'ham, AL about a gazillion times over that seven year period. I hated going through HotLanta (Atlanta) and refused to drive that leg of the journey.

• Thanks 1