MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Momo

Unnecessary products contest

I nominate all the single use whatevers. Need to clean your counter-- grab what is essentially a baby wipe with cleaning chemicals. Need to wash your face-- grab another baby wipe that has face cleanser. Same with the windows, sink, floors, cars, etc. It seems like the more some of us yell about our environment getting trashed up, the more these dang companies come up with this stuff!

Cheryl

SO true, Cheryl. I don't use any of that stuff either...I hate single-use things...even disposable razors. My husband hates those so bad he uses an old-fashioned straight razor!! (Well his Grandpa was a barber)

Rita... Sounds like you need a "white elephant" exchange!!!

:24: :24: :24:

Oh my word! I don't even know about most of these things! :24:

I would vote on that electric tweezer thing. :24:

Um...I can't think of anything.

Oh. Wait. An exercise bike. I suppose some folks like them a lot for a lot of different reasons, but you know what? You need your vitamin D and you aren't going to get it riding a bike in front of the television. Plus they cost a lot. Plus they take up a lot of room. Plus they use energy from another source other than your body, and that should make you suspicious about the thing in the first place.

Ok how about the pre-packaged dinners in the meat sections - like the pot roast...you get a roast and a few carrots and potatoes and a seasoning pack for outlandish amount.

What gets me is these commercials - you have probably seen this one.

The mom is driving home and all of the fast food icons are following her home. She jumps out of the car and holds up a meat loaf and says back off. Then it goes into a spiel about serving your family a homecooked meal. :0327: Please!!!!!

I know, Shurleen! Frozen PBJ sandwiches? I about fell over when everyone seemed to know about these horrors! laugh I don't spend much time in the frozen foods sections of large supermarkets. Actually, I rarely GO to large supermarkets in the city and when I have, I've found myself getting hopelessly lost in them - where, oh where would I find __________? My big stock up runs are to a restaurant supply business in the city - just bare bones stuff in bulk packages, so they don't have the individually wrapped taters and such. Those are an interesting phenomenon also, the taters. The little grocery store in town doesn't have any of those things.

But yes, the concept of an electric tweezer gadget is probably the strangest of all so far. That one gets my vote too!

I am telling you now, don't bother with plastic surgery for saggy eye lids, just use one of those tweezers and you won't have any eye lids to worry about!!! LOL

Shurleen..at least exerbikes make a good clothes hanger when not in use. lol

My DH thinks gyms are silly. He says if folks would cut their own grass, do their own chores and yardwork, they wouldn't need a gym.

**Looks around to make sure nobody from "The Kitchen" followed me down here...**

Spaghetti-os

I tried feeding them to my kids one time when it was on sale and they thought it would be fun. Neither of them liked it, and I had to pitch it and give them PB&J. Gave the other 2 cans to Mom, who was feeding my nephew who ate EVERYTHING.

Years later they watched commercials and begged me to have it again. I bought *one* can. While heating it up, DS said it smelled like "throw-up". Neither even tasted it.

Never again!!

ewww

Okay...I see you up there! Spaghetti-o's saved me from starvation last night. I heated them up and everything. Then I had a bowl of Cheerios for dessert. I had nothing else in this house to eat. rofl

Leave the 'O-s' alone.

blah

lalala

Mine has to be Pull-Ups. A toddler doesnt know that they aren't diapers. And the cost.......WOW! Training pants for my kids, or in my son's case, REAL unnershorts, like Dads. LOL.

Even the grandkids got underware, not those waste of money,tearaway diapers,

Yup... I had more trouble with my last child training BECAUSE of the pull-ups.

Until they actually FEEL uncomfortable by getting WET, they won't choose to use the toilet.

ewww

OH - OH - OH!!! Now I have a real unneccessary product...

Those dumb floater thingies to get the boy child to aim and pee in the toilet! One sheet of toilet tissue or a couple of Cheerios (sorry Jeepers! happy02 ) work just as well and are MUCH cheaper!!!

More unnecessary products, in my opinion. All the crap that is sold on tv, infomercials, etc. Shamwows, magic putty, hooks, buttons, beeps, buzzes, boops, whatever. I will confess, I have tried a few things a time or two, and every time they have been crap.

Every once in a while my mom will bring me some of that crap and acts like it's the greatest thing ever invented. I have overloaded my local Goodwill with it.

Oh, one thing that did work though. Pasta pot with the holes in the lid to drain water. Now that was a good pot until the handle broke off.

Cheryl

You're right Cheryl. DH always says if it were worth buying it would be in every store in the country, NOT advertised on informercials. smile

Unfortunately, they are starting to pop up in stores across the way! Wal-Mart and Linen's 'N Things carry a lot of it now.

The Princesses bought those glass automatic plant waterers for DH's birthday last week. They were sweet to think of making his job easier. The box says it waters plants for up to 2 weeks I think. Anyway, they are empty in 1 day so it is actually MORE work for DH. We don't have the heart to tell them though!

2 of them were about $10 at Wal Mart.

Midwest Prepper, they worked for you? I had a set that broke the first time I tried to use them.

Momo, on one of my craft/garden forums they talked aboutt eh glibes, and said they were really hard to fill and got stopped up easy. That was one of my questions wheni first started seeing them advertised.

Here's a good site that has customer reviews of most of the "as seen on tv" stuff. http://www.infomercialratings.com/

Yes they did really work-- my grandson & daughter came out this week to move some furniture to another room for me & they laughed until they used them & then said they would have to get them for their house.I did not buy them from tv though I bought them from Meijer( they are something like Walmart) maybe its a differnce in the thickness of them.

Those packaged sauce/seasoning mixes mixes!

Come on people really what is in them besides salt & thickener and some color??!!

Pre-chopped veggies/onions etc...

**Cat directs readers to explore "Mare's collection of money-saving mixes", located in "In The Kitchen", in the subforum above called "Kitchen Recipes"**

~~This has been a Public Service Announcement, brought to you by the penny-wise people at Mrs Survival.~~

curtsey

What about those upside down tomato planters that are wickedly expensive with high shipping costs? It would have cost $107 for two of them with their shipping charge! I have happy tomatoes growing in a worn out-waterbath canner, a couple of 5-gal buckets and some giant clay pots!

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.