MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Momo

Unnecessary products contest

One of the worst problems of cooking has been solved!!

Dixie Crystals has invented pre-measured brown sugar packages. The box contains twelve 1/4 cup individual packs of non-clumping brown sugar. I wonder how much extra this costs to avoid the horrors of not having to measure or declump your sugar? With all the talk lately of being frugal and economizing on family budgets, it will be interesting to see how this one sells.

Okay here are some for you! A nursing privacy cover http://babies1st.com/c-8922-nursing-cover-ups.aspx Hey ever heard of a receiving blanket? laugh

Huh what about bubbles? I know they're cheap but come on its dish soap and water... I bought dd a bottle for her to have the wand and I refill the sucker myself.

Baby wipes... convenient and nice but honestly cut some flannel squares or use a washcloth with water maybe a little soap.

the premade salad mixes

individual sugar, salt, etc packets

individual packets of oatmeal and grits

individual size chips, crackers, etc

heck individual size anything rofl

I think just about anything individual sized or disposable could fall into the unnecessary products!

Ohhh saw the baby food on there! Yep big unnecessary! Its .50-75 a jar for one serving. Most babies on baby food eat 2 jars a meal. (mine did at least) You can make that in a small food processor in less than a minute!

Originally Posted By: JCK88
LOL...the banana slicer cracked me up. (but I want to try one now...LOL..not buy one, try one!)

As soon as I read that I thought "Oh man -- I WANT one of those." I make so many dehydrated bananas, it would honestly be a timesaver for me. I would use it for bananas on my breakfast too. Ha! See now I have to go looking for a cheap banana slicer.

Speaking of slicers. I used a CHEESE SLICER for the first time ever and OH MAN do those things cut down the time it takes to cut a block of cheese into chunks. The kids were amazed too. Just press down lightly and boom...cut cheese, fast and easy.

Okay...I love time saving gadgets.

rofl Oh man! I have one for you. The snuggie (or was it snugglie?)... Its a blanket that has sleeves (you know like a robe?). This is suppose to be the greatest thing b/c you can be covered up and stay that way when you're moving around. DarleneSwoon

Hmmm...Rice cooker? Come on! Are we serious? The spinning potato peeler, I bought one and it was ok, but the blades snapped soon after and were ridiculous to replace.

My all-time favorite...the cell phone;?P

How DID our foremothers survive?

I have a rice cooker and about every other gadget mentioned here and even some not mentioned like Mighty Putty. I intend on winning this contest and will be submitting my list later today

Originally Posted By: onepoormomma
Hmmm...Rice cooker? Come on! Are we serious?

LOL, I love my rice cooker. Put it in the rice cooker and forget it. Just measure out the water, rice and salt, and in 20 minutes without doing a thing, my rice is done. Love it.

NOW if my son would just put the pieces of it together in the SAME PLACE so I can FIND THEM when I need to make rice, THAT might be more useful that the rice cooker itself!

Here is a partial list of what I own, but I think I have to vote for the pb and jelly sandwich:

Rice Cooker

2 Fondue Pots

Ped Egg

Mighty Putty

Face Steamer

Swifter Wet Jet

Swifter Dry Jet

Swifter Duster

Shark Steam Blaster

Wallpaper Steamer

Quesadilla Maker

T-Shirt Folder

Indoor Grill

laughkick You have just a FEW items that I would think were over the top. However, next fondue party you have, I am SO there! I love the stuff!

Rice Cooker

Ped Egg

That ped egg is the greatest thing since sliced bread! I love it. I am trying to find one for my mother on sale...maybe for her birthday in March I can get it. I wear sandals most of the time (because with my hands they are easier to get ON than tennis shoes). My skin was callused and thick...and the ped egg took care of it. My feet feel like they did when I was a KID! Amazing.

Who stays up nights inventing these products?

I saw an ad today for PB&J slices. It is pb&j in a slice like American cheese. They even commented it is such a neat way to keep your jelly from being contaminated from a knife with pb on it!!!

Originally Posted By: Momo

I saw an ad today for PB&J slices. It is pb&j in a slice like American cheese. They even commented it is such a neat way to keep your jelly from being contaminated from a knife with pb on it!!!

Excuse me I am reading this correctly PB&J slices like cheese jawdrop

And who uses the knife from the pb on it to get jelly out of jar everyone knows knife for pb and spoon for jelly. frypan

ROTFL to Jeepers and Momo!

Maybe I can shed a bit of light on a couple of things.[smile]

Regarding plastic bottle liners: Both my kids suffered from severe gastroesophogeal reflux. My daughter could not come home from the hospital for a week until they figured out why she turned purple every time she got fed. They also both were allergic to milk so no nursing either of them. Stinky soybean formula all around--and I mean ALL around, carpet, floors, furniture, etc.

Now add a pretty impressive case of post partum depression that went undiagnosed for four years and corresponding lack of energy. Babies still have to eat, toddlers still have to eat, puke has to be washed off the floors and furniture.[groan]

I bought a home steam cleaning machine and ghetto rigged a home made swiffer type device. I still use a Clorox brand swiffer or a dollar store swiifer. Why that type? Because of the way the cleaning rag I use to replace that expensive little pads that look like disposable diapers fit on top. I sweep with a swiffer and rag, change the rag, put my floor cleaning solution (soap and water) in a spray bottle, spray the floor well, "mop" with a swiffer (way lighter and easier to manipulate than a mop), "rinse" by spraying clear water, and use a dry rag to dry the floor--or sometimes I let it air dry. Toss the rags in the laundry. I think I got 12 of them for $5 at the hardware store. I DARN sure ain't gonna use a mop twice. Eyuuu!

Babies have to eat so I bought baby food and frozen foods. If I had, had to cook the babies would not have eaten because I literally barely could stay awake long enough to keep them alive. I was a walking zombie. I can actually eat spaghetti-os and raviolis cold out of the can to this day.

Not everyone who uses these products is lazy or stupid. [smile]

Many Asian families (near east and far east serve rice at EVERY meal. They get a big rice cooker and fill it up. Wash once daily.

For bubbles add a 1/4 teaspoon of glycerin to your bubble mixture. They last WAY longer.

Ladies who clean houses for a living use disposable toilet brushes.

One of the publications I receive is "Household and Personal Products International" HAPPI. Wipes are made because people are buying them. Working moms who feel they have to sanitize everything around them at all times and people with OCD. Also ladies who clean houses for a living. Home owners who hire cleaning help see them as more sanitary. I suspect the specialty wipe market will pare down considerably in this economy.

HTH! [smile]

[EDIT:] I own some plastic forms to lay pasta sheets on that you are supposed to fill, close, squeeze and make raviolis and dumplings with.

Edited by Girl Next Door

Those S bend Banana hangers, oh duh it wont work when theres one. :lol:

Packets of salad - how long does it take to wash lettuce.

Cut melon in packets - they dont cut apples or any other fruit do they!

My Asda people who put a packet of biscuits in one carrier bag but leave my freezer stuff in the box loose. They are trying to cut down on the bags used, why dont they just use the American paper bag system.

Not doing frozen carrots individually - they do everything else.

Baskets in shops with holes too big for the produce.

Newsagents who dont like dogs inside but are in the middle of now where on a dog walking route.

Drinking glasses with such narrow bottoms compared to tops that they fall over when they have liquid in them.

Buses with no safety bar in front of seats facing the front of the bus.

Recycling bins so high you could loose an average person in them when they try to clean them out.

I just read all 5 pages of this topic and can't believe non of you mentioned the absolute,most ridiculous product ever invented.

PANCAKE MIX IN A SHAKER BOTTLE!

This has got to be the stupidest thing in stores today. According to the commercial you just shake the bottle and pour it into a pan. Viola! "Homemade" pancakes.

You have got to be kidding me. :rolleyes:

It's not like you need a chemistry degree to make pancakes. Not to mention this thing costs like 3.00 for 6 pancakes?!!

I just read all 5 pages of this topic and can't believe non of you mentioned the absolute,most ridiculous product ever invented.

This has got to be the stupidest thing in stores today. According to the commercial you just shake the bottle and pour it into a pan. Viola! "Homemade" pancakes.

It's not like you need a chemistry degree to make pancakes. Not to mention this thing costs like 3.00 for 6 pancakes?!!

LOL! My kids think that this is an abomination!! They are very spoiled with homemade pancakes. They hate sleeping over my mom's because she always want to make them pancakes from a box!!

I have a rice cooker and used to use it all the time. Then one day it hit me: If I'm storing rice for when the shtf - I better learn to cook it without the help of my rice cooker!! Now my family likes it better just made in a big pot.

Kimba

i understand you simply add water, shake and bake.

i've never seen that

Microwave bacon cookers. Had the flat type. No matter how long you cook them you got charcoal or rubber. I saw the ones you hang the bacon on and that looked even scarier. Trust me an iron skillet and a fork is MUCH better!

Electric coil type hair removers! Had one....tried it on one leg in one spot.... A pair of tweezers would be much cheaper and I think A LOT less painful! Oh there's nothing like having your leg hairs pulled out 40 at a time with an electric coil! OUCH!

Colored nail polish (guilty of having many colors as a teen) but as an adult... Why? What does it do besides give you a head ache from the fumes. Clear I get since I've used it to stop runs in legging and to cover over stuff to protect it.

High heal shoes! OUCH....OUCH....OUCH!

How about the hair remover that you use in the shower. You have to leave it on but not under running water for several minutes. How does one do that?

Edited by snapshotmiki

big boy toys such as hand held games, arcade games, nintentos, play stations, xboxes, etc... it's a waste of time and money!!! the generation today is growing up STILL playing these games. when i was young i played my ATARI for one year and then i got tired of it. it's a time waster!!!!

Edited by ROSARYCHAPLET

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.