MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What did you can today?

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This month I have canned almost 200 jars of peach salsa, peach jam, peaches in syrup, and peach pie filling. There is a man that comes to our town and sells peaches, and sometimes other produce. He drives back and forth to Georgia. On Sundays, he wants to head to Alabama and see his grown kids, so someone gave him my name, and told him I would can anything. For the past month, he has called every Sunday and given me the peaches he has left. He has decided to rent a little, dilapidated, almost a shack, house and is fixing it up. He wants a garden so badly, so I loaned him my big tiller, which we couldn't start. He got it started and has his first three rows tilled. I found seeds for him today at Rite Aid, for 10 cents a pack, and bought him dozens of them.

This week the Peach Man brought me, a 32 lb. box of huge red tomatoes. They were perfect, so I peeled and froze them for salsa. Today we picked and sliced 8 lbs. of banana peppers and froze them, also for salsa. These banana peppers, don't look like the ones we have had before. They do come to a point, but are more squatty. They don't taste like a bell pepper and I accidentally rubbed my eyes, after picking them and my eyes burned. Must be banana peppers. Anyway, I have loaded the Peach Man up with canned goodies. He told me he is a canner also and can't wait to have the chance to do it again. That's the second guy, in a week that has told me he cans.

I also canned 12 jars of Violet's sweet pickle chunks and 6 jars of dill pickles today. I have about 75 jars of pickles, or would, if I didn't take them to all my friends.

We have been filling the dehydrator, each night, with yellow squash and zucchini. I have been vacuuming sealing it in bags and freezing it, so it will last longer.

I canned my kids for a day.

oh.

You mean preserves.

I made sugar free strawberry jam and we made 2 batches of raspberry freezer jam. I froze strawberries. I have some raspberries to freeze tomorrow.

Not much else is ready here yet. I canned some chicken over the weekend.

Looking into learning about storing wheat and getting a grinder.

I canned 8 pints of violets zucchini relish on Sunday while DH drooled over it lol. Then yesterday I canned 10 pints of peach preserves. DH was really drooling then, especially after I gave him some on a fresh from the oven buttered biscuit hehehe. It was my first try at preserves, had always made jelly or jam before. It came out a little on the runny side but not so bad that it runs off the biscuits, so we are happy with it and...it was OUR peaches that we raised that we made it with!! Makes it taste all the sweeter i think. grin

Tomorrow...or I should say today, I will be doing yellow squash in the dehydrator. Hoping by the end of the week to do salsa and everything is getting ripe at once for it! This will be my first year canning salsa from the start...that means I started the plants that the ingrediants came from! I used to just buy my plants at the store, but this year I just got seeds and started my own. It feels good too and somehow different to can all this up now. But it's so much fun! DH and his friends are all saying how the happiest they ever have seen me is when I am canning something lol.

Oh yeah, almost forgot...blackberries are ready to pick tomorrow too while the squash is dehydrating...so then Wensday I will be making blackberry jelly! It's really easy to do now that I got the berry screen for the strainer. We have a bumper crop this year so I will take advantage of it!

Q

Wow! Glad to see so many canning, freezing, and dehydrating. smile I have enough peach juice to make another 48 pints of peach jelly and need to get that finished today so I can do tomatoes tomorrow.

Oh, and my dh is one of those peach guys! lol He buys peaches, apples, watermelons, strawberries and oranges in season and sells them in different towns within a 2 hour range of our home.

Hi I'm new here but I love the forums. Living in Idaho doesn't allow us a long growing season, but I look forward to doing green beans in the next two weeks. Hopefully my tomatoes will give me lots of fruit so I can do salsa, spaghetti sauce and canned tomatoes. I love a bowl of canned tomatoes with salt and pepper and cottage cheese. Yum

Well, about 10 days ago, I did 40# of chicken, then a few days later a box of sweet Bing cherries, strawberry pie filling, then 40# of roast beef, then Sunday I did pickled asparagus.

I'm pulling hamburger from the freezer for canning & making into meatloaves and waiting with a watering mouth for the day my tomatoes 'set' and begin to grow.

I have plans for corn, beans, dill relish, sweet relish, peaches, pears, nectarines, apricots, dill pickles, sweet pickles, beets, maybe 3 bean salad (if I can find a good recipe), salsa, applesauce, etc. I also am waiting for my grandma's crabapple tree and grape vines to come into fruit so I can make jelly!

The only problem I have now is making SPACE. My husband doesn't believe me that I WILL use ALL the jars I have and probably need more. smile

I've also been dehydrating veggies as I can get them cheap. I was so mad when I bought a HUGE bag of carrots, get them home and found them HALF-ROTTEN! I took them back to the store and demanded my money back! The store manager tried to play innocent, but they finally caved. Sure, it was only a few dollars, but still, selling POOR produce?!?!?!

I am tired !! Canning season is both CRAZY and rewarding !!

See you soon, Miss Crazy ! The best sweet pickles, I think, are the chunk ones. The sugar in them makes them nearly impossible for me to eat any longer. So sad !

Happy Preserving, everyone !

I am going to wash the rest of my raspberries and freeze them for fruit roll ups and jam later on.

Originally Posted By: Cricket
I canned 10 pints of ground beef over the weekend. Dh wanted to know why I was canning it instead of just putting it in the freezer. I'm afraid I gave him that incredulous stare and blurted out "Because I can!"

roflroflrofl

All you need is to have a very EXPENSIVE loss like a freezer die or natural disaster or SOMETHING happen and you can all you are able, when you are able, as MUCH as you are able.

When I realized that for the price of my DH and I going out for dinner, I could put up 40# of MEAT that would keep for a year or two, that stopped me dead in my tracks. No more dinners out, I am a Crazy Canning Maniac!
roflcurtseyyumyum

Canning is addictive. Though I dread the hot hard work sometimes, once I start, I can't seem to stop. I *love* the lovely different colors and shapes and textures in the jars all lined up in my cabinets/shelves. Gives me a thrill every single time!

MamaTiger,

I share your thrill! flowersmilie

I remember looking through my grandma's cookbooks as a teenager, when all we did at the time was make jam.

I stumbled upon her Ball Canning Book from the late 1930's and the photo of the woman on the cover and her pantry with rows and rows of home-canned items like beets, peaches, pears, eggs, etc. was too much! I just stared and stared at the photo and turned the pages in the book like it was sacred. I suddenly wanted to *be* that self-sufficient woman!

Grandma asked what I was so enthralled with and I showed her and said, "I want to learn how to do that!"...She gave me a long, knowing look and broad smile, "I see. So are you sure you want to learn?" I assured her I was and we did some pears that afternoon because the trees just 'happened' to be producing.

Later, as the jars were cooling, she sent me with the task of taking yesterday's filled, cooled jars to the basement. I followed her down and stood in amazement...this tiny closet off the garage was packed with fruit, jams, jellies, conserves, beans, corn, etc., everything but meat. My mouth hung open with awe....she dusted a jar or two and modestly said, "Yes, it's very do-able, a little at a time..."

Now, I have the privilege of doing canning for her...and so thankful for that day almost 20 years ago when she fed the 'interest' of wanting to learn how to can EVERYTHING I could!

Yes, running pressure canners in the heat of summer is not the most comfortable...there are long hours on your feet, and it takes some hunting to find the best deals on produce, not to mention lugging in the garden yield is grueling work. BUT. . .

I am the one now, with shelves of jars, and a friend's mouth hanging open and me saying, "Oh..it's really nothing...just a little at a time!" smile

P.S. I just canned 21 half pints of marinated mushrooms yesterday. YUMM!

I'm doing beets today. About a 1/3 of what I planted. They're sitting on the counter ready to put in jars and pressure BUT I'm taking a break first.

Yep, it's alot of work and tires me out but my they do look nice all done up pretty in the pantry.

I did garlic scapes and started pickles and sauerkraut fermenting in their vats.

You all gave me so many ideas. Thanks!!! I love the peach ideas, definitely going to use them when they are in season out here. They're still too small.

Oh, and spent a few hours this weekend searching out elderberries while they are still in bloom. Found a HUGE cache of them growing within a bike ride of my house. YAY!

I did 16 quarts of quartered tomatoes, 3 quarts & 4 pints of sweeet pickles, and I have 3 pints of green beans in now. I wish I had more beans, but that is all I picked. I'm tired.

wormie

John

I did a dozen quarts of pinto beans, 6 pints of salsa, and picked enough blackberries for 2 batches of jelly andd got it juiced out. Tomorrow I'll make the jelly. Just too tired tonight to keep going lol!

Q

Archived