MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What did you can today?

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seriously Ferretma. Just 1 batch of chicken takes easily 3 hours between warming up the canner to pressure, actually processing, then cooling. That doesn't include prep work.

filled dehydrator with banana slices for chips

Picked large bucket of blueberries and going off now to make syrup and to freeze berries (already did jam)

I'm canning some spiced apples since I don't have any clear jel, and I'm gonna can some garlic dill pickles. I don't have a dehydrator but I do have something I created to dry my herbs and teas...so I'm drying sage and mint tea. I also have 2 dill bundles and sage hanging upside down drying.

I dried two big bunches of 'thinned' green onions as chives...a tray of basil, and LOTS of rosemary.

I'm currently working my way through canning about 110# of chicken. Yep, I'm crazy....

6 pints of pickled/dilled cucumbers and 12 pints of pickled/dilled green tomato's. And.........the bread & butter pickles turned out perfect. banana

Now I have to figure out what to do with the 3 gallons of cucumbers in the crock. crazy

wormie

John

Put away 10 quarts of corn in the freezer, jarred up 6 quarts of beans and worked the lunch shift in town:?) How I wish for the 28 hour day...more sleep! Tommorrow I hope to jar up more corn. It's canning season, baby!

Good night!

Well, I would have put up even MORE Marionberries but I'm out of ideas. I need your help. In case you haven't heard of them, Marionberries are an Oregon specialty that are a cross between the Chehalem blackberry and Olallieberry blackberry. Their flavor is "complex, rich earthy." http://www.oregon-berries.com/marionberry.cfm

I want to make a pancake syrup. In general, the syrup recipes in the Ball Complete Book of Preserving are too runny and the sauce is too thick. However, the book doesn't have a recipes for a thick syrup. I've looked in all my other recipe books and can't find anything that resembles my pancake syrup. I've also searched on line and no luck.

Does anyone have a suggestion? I have 3 quarts of Marionberry juice + more berries arriving daily. eek My freezer is bursting at its seams.

TIA!

I canned 6 pints of Violet's Sweet Pickle Chunks and 7 half pints of blackberry jelly. I picked another 6 quarts of blackberries and they are washed and ready to get canned, into pie filling in the morning.

Here ya go Stephanie.

To each jar add:

1 Teaspoon fresh dill or dill seed

2-3 gloves of Garlic

Add 1 small red or Jalapeno pepper

2 Quarts of water

2 Quarts white vinegar-5% Acidity

1 cup non-iodized salt

Combine water, vinegar, and salt in a large pot & bring to a boil. Pour liquid over vegetables and seal. Leave 1/2" headspace. No processing needed.

wormie

John

You do need to process the pickles. All foods must be processed to be stored on the shelf.

I am dry packing my food right now. I did freeze some zucchini and some blueberries. Almost 20 lb. of blueberries !

I made zucchini bread today, too.

Ferretma, I have a recipe for your syrup. I will post in a seperate post with the canning recipes.

Archived