MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What did you can today?

Originally Posted By: onepoormomma
What do you do with your dehydrated squash? I'd like to get better with dehydrating, it's not in my "comfort zone"!

You can make squash chips. Or I dehydrate some sliced lengthwise, and later use them in my veggie lasagna. I also get some REALLY dry, and powder it. Then I just sprinkle some of the powder into soups, stews...
  • Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay, it seems I have been doing things wrong. I posted this earlier for dilled/pickled cucumbers:

To each jar add:

1 Teaspoon fresh dill or dill seed

2-3 gloves of Garlic

Add 1 small red or Jalapeno pepper

2 Quarts of water

2 Quarts white vinegar-5% Acidity

1 cup non-iodized salt

Combine water, vinegar, and salt in a large pot & bring to a boil. Pour liquid over vegetables and seal. Leave 1/2" headspace. No processing needed.

In talking with Violet today this has to be water bathed. Pints for 10 minutes and quarts for 15 minutes. If anyone has saved this recipe please add this change to it.

wormie

John

I canned 7 pints of bread and butter pickles, 12 quarts corn, and 7 quarts, 1 pint of blackberry pie filling. I picked another 3 quarts of blackberries, before a storm blew in.

32 Quarts of Bartlett Pears! Would have been 33, but one of the jars broke - darn! They look so pretty sitting on the counter. Now we hope to do Nectarines next week - never done them before but they are especially sweet and tasty this year. Love canning!

I picked blackberries for 3 hours....There was sale on in the blackberry patch...First time ever...$Three hours... Six quarts of blackberries..The best deal I have gotten, up to now...$Three hours...One gallon....Everyday...$Three hours...ONE gallon..Till today!!!!!

7 quarts, 1 pint of blackberry filling...Just out of the canner.

I took 4 roast, 14 pounds of hamburger, and a 23 pound turkey out of the freezer yesterday. I cut up the roast and browned it. Added veggies and made 16 quarts of beef/vegetable soup. Then I browned the hamburger and canned 17 quarts of chili. I'm tired. Tomorrow it's the turkey's turn.

wormie

John

This week I have canned 23 quarts of eggplant pasta sauce and 23 quarts of corn. I froze 5 quarts of corn, to can vegetable soup out of. I have two more buckets of Violet's Sweet Pickle Chunks started. I am also STILL picking blackberries...How can this be?!...I think my blackberry patch is in The Garden of Eden...The more I pick, the more there are. I have picked over 18 gallons of the mean, little things. I picked another 3 quarts of them last night and if some wimpy, little boys, hadn't heard thunder...I might still be out there. I got another 3 quarts. A friend called and said she hadn't had time to pick. Her daughter will be coming home from Russia soon and hasn't been home in 3 years. She and her husband are missionaries there. She loves blackberries, so I took these to her mom. Hope I can get some more, for her, tonight.

I have 35 quarts of blackberry pie filling and 7 half pints of blackberry jelly canned, so far...Next to empty the freezer and can blackberry jam.

I need to start pulling meats and fruits and peppers, outta my freezers too....SO...I can fill it back up with more! DUH! It's a never ending cycle....Grow it, fill the freezer, can it, grow some more, fill the freezer...can...Make way for more......Never any time to make a dinner out of it....We've had sandwiches for three days, in a row...Of course the little trip to Vanderbilt yesterday didn't help, nor will the one Monday...Maybe I should just can all the DOCS!

Archived