MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What did you can today?

green beans

yellow beans

another batch of sweet relish (I'm done with relish...can't stand the thought of another pickling cuke!! I declare pickling done at this house! )

half bushel of tomatoes...my entire crop will have to buy some from farmer's market to do more. Too much rain got my patch.

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On Wed, I canned 6 pints pickled beets. Thurs. I canned 7 qts gr beans & froze about the same amount. My dmil is having hip replacement surgery soon & wanted to get her stocked up with veggies to eat. Will give her the frozen beans(she likes them that way.) I have tomatoes ready & another picking of beans today. I am new at canning by myself. Always a helper & boy was it difficult being left alone with that hissing monster!!! Me, who drives a two ton vehicle afraid of that 10# piece of metal!!! You betcha I was! Almost boiled my beans dry. Read the directions wrong as this picking was from a row we forgot to pick so beans were getting tough.Added a few extra min but added it to the wrong base time. I thought it was taking too long for them to do their thing. So have a question, some of the liquid boiled out of cans. Are they ok? I don't think I want them left on shelf too long. Will the seal & vaccuum still be ok? They all sealed. Am doing more today so think I feel a bit more able to do it better this time. Not overconfident as I have been there done that! Maybe I'll post a new thread about the beans with liquid. Thanks, have a good day! Patti

7 quarts of chicken, my first pressure canned batch. 2 family packes of chicken went into those 7 quarts with one breast left over! that is over 9lbs of chicken.

I am pleased, home canning meat seems to be very space efficient.

But oh my the time it took! I think I know why so many of you gals are on here late, you have to babysit the darn pressure canner!

21 quarts of dill pickles, but, here's the funny part. I was busy scrubbing my cukes fresh from the farmers' market when my electricians finaly made it to install new lights in my kitchen. It is (was)a rather light-challenged room. When they turned the new lights on for my approval I couldn't believe how bright green my cukes had become! In fact, now that it is so bright in here I just may have to dust above the cupboards!

My Aaron and I, canned 9 jars of bread and butter pickles, and 7 pints, 12 half/pints of blackberry jam...The dehydrator is full of 90 ears of corn, cut off the cob, and a quart of green beans. We blanched more tomatoes and froze them for sauces, later. I started a bucket of sweet gherkin pickles. My canning buddy will be leaving for the Academy again, in 10 days...Ohhhhh....That sweet boy, stays right by my side helping.

Archived