MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What did you can today?

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I did my first beef chunks! They are very pretty! I thought I had enough meat for a canner full and only got 4 qts! I did the hot pack method this time.

I'm hoping to work on some chicken breasts this weekend. My local grocery store had them .99/lb! I got a total of 9 huge packages, I think it's about 45-50lbs.

I need more jars...do you ever not need more jars?? smile

Here's another question for you, how did you do the chicken?

I've only canned shredded chicken and chicken soup. Not sure, how to can the chicken breasts, etc.

Canned applesauce with my daughter, after picking apples with my 86 yo daddy. Then ran next door and started my SIL on her apples. Back to my house to finish up with my daughter and granddaughter, plus putting some apple slices in the freezer. Back to finish up with SIL. I am worn out.

I did a marathon canning session today - 48 jars of Jalapeno jelly, Zucchini relish, apple butter, and applesauce.

I had taken Friday off work to do canning. When the weather forecast said 104, I had second thoughts (the actual temp was 105.4 in my area). Thursday and Saturday were also smoking hot. I had stuff that needed to be canned so it was today or the food would spoil.

I don't know how my mom did all of this without the benefit of air conditioning. And I'm sooo tired. Thankfully, the heat wave is over (I am a royal you-know-what when it's hot outside).

I canned three pints of Violet's Sweet Pickle Chunks. I also canned 11 quarts of chicken soup, for a friend, who is having her gallbladder out tomorrow. I made her two loaves of Challah Bread to go with it. I made two homemade pizzas for her precious 83 year old mother.

I just finished a marathon few days...

Last week, there was 8 pints of blueberry pie filling....2 qts of frozen blueberries and 1/2 qt dried.

This week, I put up

2 boxes (40 lbs) of peaches = 47 pints (one broke!)

64 pints of green beans (2 boxes = 40 lbs)

12 qts dill pickles

14 pints of bread & butter pickles (Mrs. Wage's)

Set 20 lbs gherkins to brine for sweet pickles

Tomorrow I am rescuing more blueberries....I'm exhausted

I'd like to do relish, but I realized I didn't order enough cukes...

I'm now out of wide mouth pints...and have 4 wide mouth qts left...*where did* they all go?!?! :lol:

Archived