MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Can you convert an electric sewing machine to treadle power?

In the latest installment of Gathering by motherearth, this is mentioned. I've been wanting a treadle machine for a long time...never knew it was possible to take an electric one and convert it to treadle power. HOW do I do this????? I have 2 non working machines, 1 60s model, and a Janome 1000 sewing/embroidery machine.

they took treadles and adapted them to electric.. but you can't take an electric and make it a treadle unless it is made for it.

just go buy a treadle. Make sure it is complete .. base, machine, cabinet. the manual and attachments can be found on ebay.

Don't try to get a machine then try to find a base and so on.

try to stay with Singer as there are lots of repair parts and attachments and manuals still available.

If you want to get really fancy... look for a Singer 401G ( I have one) but... you need to get one with a belt cover and a hand wheel geared for the belt. (I don't have those two parts. If I could get the specs, I would have them machined)

Originally Posted By: westbrook
they took treadles and adapted them to electric.. but you can't take an electric and make it a treadle unless it is made for it.

just go buy a treadle. Make sure it is complete .. base, machine, cabinet. the manual and attachments can be found on ebay.

Don't try to get a machine then try to find a base and so on.

try to stay with Singer as there are lots of repair parts and attachments and manuals still available.

If you want to get really fancy... look for a Singer 401G ( I have one) but... you need to get one with a belt cover and a hand wheel geared for the belt. (I don't have those two parts. If I could get the specs, I would have them machined)

Hey Westie! Take a look at this site. I googled the model number to see what machine you were talking about and up popped this page. This girl has BOTH a treadle power AND and electric power Singer 401G, and she discusses the differences with pictures. She even shows parts...thought you'd find it interesting. Here's the site:

http://www.toolfool.org/sewing/401G-Treadle-and-Electric.htm

yes this is Malcolm. He is a member of my singer slant sewing machine group.

I have offered to send an engineer up and get specs for the parts I need, offered to pay him to give me the specs, offered to pay him to have the parts machined... *sigh* he never responds.

of all the machines I am keeping my 401G and my 431G, my featherweight and a singer 301. I am selling all of my sergers but my White 2000ATS. I love white2Kats! Oh and my treadle is also staying.

If SHTF, I have a HUGE edge having a treadle that does all the stitches over someone with a straight stitch machine...besides I do love to sew.

The bernina is a nice machine with lots of stitches, a couple of nice embroidery stitches too.

here is how to convert a serger to a treadle! I have a couple of machines that don't run, was gonna combine them to make one runinng machine then convert it

http://www.mushycat.com/wiki/index.php?n=T...ergerConversion

What a coincidence that you know the guy...out of a bazillion links on the net!! Who'd have thought it!

Love the conversion idea for a serger. Saving that page...need to keep my eye out for a deal on an old singer and a mechanical serger...

If TSHTF, I'd miss my electronic machines almost as much as the internet...well, almost...LOL wink

• 3 months later...

of course I know him...he is a member of my singer slant sewing machine group.

he has a collection of the German models and now starting one for the Japanese models besides of course the American models.

I drool over his machines.