MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Cat

Red Flags for a Looming Crisis - PART 5

I am dosing my animals. I'm not a vet and not trained in radiation. I have worked at vet offices and am studying prevet medicine... and I have not been able to find any studies on cats specifically, or other small animals. They did do some studies with dogs, but not along these lines. I do know that animal metabolisms are often faster than ours and it will not hurt them to dose them... assuming that they don't have medical reasons not to take the KI.

IMHO I would rather do it than not. Of course, I'm doing my dogs, as they are useful to me in other ways than just as pets - as well as I love them. Not doing the bunnies or guinea pig, as much as the kids love them. My belief is that they can be separated from radiation by barriers *i.e. underground - and should be OK - but if they are not, they may be more susceptible to radiation and there would be nothing I could do.

I'll look through the old medical studies to see if I can find anything on this. I looked a few years ago, but haven't spent any time recently looking through it all.

Originally Posted By: Stephanie
People with thyroid disease (for example, multinodular goiter, Graves’ disease, or autoimmune thyroiditis) may be treated with KI. This should happen under careful supervision of a doctor, especially if dosing lasts for more than a few days.
hmmmm, well, I'm hypothyroid and want to purchase some iodide for my family, but I'm just guessing if SHTF it would be pretty hard to find a dr to monitor me

guess I need to research this. I already have a pretty much non-functioning thyroid.

Is the fear that too much iodine will kill thyroid function? IF so, that'll probably not be my problem, my problem would be getting thyroid meds

I can just see me asking my dr if I can take this iodide, his eyes would get this big eek

Originally Posted By: Cricket
It takes a long, long time to develop, so the CDC does not recommend that folks over 40 take KI. The anti-cancer benefit is negligable and there is a higher risk of adverese reactions with older people.
I did not know that Cricket. I'm 40 now. So much stuff to learn! DarleneSwoon

My understanding is that as long as you still have a functioning thyroid, you can take it. I would ask your doctor – just to be safe.

Just FYI, I had a thought that radiation destroys cells much the same way that Oxygen does – by disrupting the repair of our cells. Out of curiosity , checked to see if there were any studies on antioxidant’s effects on radiation damage. There are, and there are some really good ones out there.

Here are some links. Brief synopsis: It seems that antioxidants may interfere with radiation therapy. (It may actually protect cancer from radiation.) However, as we will be taking KI as prophylaxis against radiation that we DON'T want, it may behoove us to consider stocking up on some antioxidants. It does help repair cell damage after radiation. So, in two ways, it may help us fight off the effects of radiation danger after exposure.

http://jn.nutrition.org/cgi/content/full/134/11/3207S

http://www.itmonline.org/arts/antioxidants.htm

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/...71105083735.htm

the iodine solution is not enough, would require huge amounts from what I have read in the past about such comparisons. One can find up to 250 tablet jars of Potassium Iodide at many prep sites online for under 30$ US..

Best to stick to the Potassium Iodide, anti oxidants also would include CoQ10 ( which is a cell regenerator and also very good for aging folks or heart patients).

I would take the Potassium Iodide, multivitamins,anti oxidants strictly to help myself recover from fallout if it were the situation. Also now is the time to build up ones' immune system.

This too will certainly help many in the face of many situations, and simply, stress, for now.

So KI does nothing to alleviate radiation sickness-which can also kill? It just protects the thyroid against later cancer?

Quote:
At a news conference earlier Friday, Nogovitsyn had reiterated Russia's frequently stated warning that placing missile-defense elements in Poland and the Czech Republic would bring an unspecified military response. But his subsequent reported statement substantially stepped up
a war of words.

U.S. officials have said the timing of the deal was not meant to
antagonize Russian leaders...

...but frankly we don't care if it did.

http://www.nezakladnam.cz/en/

This is the No Bases Initiative in the Czech Republic. Tons of info about how Czech citizens feel. The majority don't want US radar, missiles, or anything else in their country.

Most citizens of sovereign nations do not want our military 'aid'. We do not offer more protection, we instead make them targets. But their governments have other ideas & often override the will of their citizenry & pretend to speak for them.

Originally Posted By: HSmom
So KI does nothing to alleviate radiation sickness-which can also kill? It just protects the thyroid against later cancer?

Right.

Radiation sickness is best prevented. You'd treat symptoms as you would a two-pot stomach flu: rest, plenty of fluid by mouth if it can be kept down, bland food if it can be kept down, and if dehydration reaches a dangerous level, rehydration fluid injected or inserted via enema.

For lighter doses, also try to give grape seed extract, whatever other antioxidants you have on hand, and niacin.

If one was outside and exposed directly to radiation, the first thing would be to seek shelter, and to strip off the clothing, wash down the whole body, hair, head and put on clean stored clothing..... then proceed to diet, hydration, etc.

This also is standard for any chemical exposure of course.

( Navy trained).

Fostermamma, I keep Lugols around, and I went ahead and bought KI after reading about the differences. You'd have to take something like 40 drops of lugols to eaqual 1 KI tablet. That's enough to cause a lot of upset stomach and sickness.

Originally Posted By: Mrs B

Most citizens of sovereign nations do not want our military 'aid'. We do not offer more protection, we instead make them targets. But their governments have other ideas & often override the will of their citizenry & pretend to speak for them.

I respectfully disagree with this statement. Where are you getting your information from? Have you talk to many citizens of different countries where the gov't asked for help but the citizens did not want it?

I have spent much time with many citizens of one country that were very glad we intervened. And I lived in a region where the people were grateful and happy to have the U.S. as a protectorate.

But that's just two out of a whole world, so perhaps my view is skewed by too little experience. I don't mind being wrong, but can you give some specifics of why your statement is true?

If this isn't good here in this thread, you can answer down in the Outhouse. But I'd really like to know.

Shurleen, I have to agree with both of you on this one. Many times, our American cowboy attitude has gotten us into trouble. African tribes that don't want our GMOs are one example that come to mind immediately. And hurricane relief is another, but I'm forgetting the country... you remember, we decided they were "bad" for not accepting our aid. Our govt tends to act as if we are the white knights and everyone else should fall over themselves when we come to their aid. Now, on the other hand, we often ARE the white knights with tons of money and often ARE the only hope for a desperate situation. I, for one, just wish we did more offers of aid and if the country declines, gracefully say "OK, we tried" instead of forcing ourselves on others. I tend to see us as being hypocritical too often.

MommaDog, I'm not trying to pick a fight, and I'm not picking on you at all, but I grew up in San Antonio, around real life cowboys. I'm getting very weary of the word "cowboy" being used as a slur. It isn't. It's an honor to be a "cowboy".

First of all, George W. Bush isn't a cowboy. He is a neo-con, formerly known as a mercantilist. He is a Connecticut yankee with a pick-up truck. Cowboys do not usually attend Yale Univ, in New Haven Connecticut. They're usually too busy trying to earn a living and care for their families.

Gene Autry wrote "The Cowboy Code" long ago. Here's a link Gene Autry Cowboy Code.

I think the best summation of the breed is from Glendon Swarthout's novel and screenplay The Shootist

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them."

I am a cowboy and proud of it. And by that, I mean I've worked cattle, ridden in all sorts of weather, mended fences, birthed calves and God knows what else. It has been the most honest work I've ever done and I miss it dearly.

Ok rant off. rant

Oh. When people said stuff about us acting like "cowboys" to the rest of the world, I always took it as a compliment. I mean, cowboys have historically so many of the independent and tough characteristics that belong to so many patriots. Maybe lacking in some niceties, but interesting, friendly, and loyal enough that one doesn't seem to care too much.

I've always taken it in the best possible sense.

But maybe it wasn't meant that way. It's the first I've thought of it as an insult. frown

MommaDogs, I think that was Burma? Where we went in to help and they didn't want us to? Was our gov't angry and made a big deal and tried to force it on them? I hadn't heard about that.

I do know the media was certainly down on them for it. But I didn't know that our gov't was.

And in that specific case, I think we can all rest assured that we heard from their gov't, not the wishes of the people. frown

You make a good point, tho. I wasn't thinking about relief during natural disasters, but more about citizens under dictatorships...maybe countries like Georgia being in trouble. Liberia for sure.

But I'd like to know more about countries where we went to help and the citizens overall did not want us there but the gov't, against the people's wishes, did.

There is something about some place in Latin America that is niggling at my brain, but I can't put my finger on it. So maybe I do know of it happening one time. But happening one time does not make it a habit to add to our collective fault.

Originally Posted By: Ambergris
Originally Posted By: HSmom

Right.

Radiation sickness is best prevented. You'd treat symptoms as you would a two-pot stomach flu: rest, plenty of fluid by mouth if it can be kept down, bland food if it can be kept down, and if dehydration reaches a dangerous level, rehydration fluid injected or inserted via enema.

For lighter doses, also try to give grape seed extract, whatever other antioxidants you have on hand, and niacin.

Exactly! Prevention is paramount. Here is a link to "What to do If a Nuclear Disaster is Imminent". It shows how to create a fallout shelter in your own home, in a hurry.

It would be a good idea to think about this in advance. What if you had to "bug out" to your basement with your family for two weeks? What would you need?

http://www.ki4u.com/guide.pdf

There is lots of good information online if you search "Civil Defense".

eek! Arby is absolutely right, of course. I assumed everyone knew you can't go dancing in fallout if you have your KI. This is why people built fall-out shelters. You still have to keep your family out of it. KI is not a cure all, but it's an important part of surviving nuclear fallout.

As for cowboys -- I don't know that it's an *insult*. When I hear "American Cowboy", I think of someone who protects people by shooting first and asking questions later. I don't think of a cold-blooded murderer or anyone evil. I think of someone who rides in and takes over - again, not out of evil intent - assuming that people who don't have a cowboy with them are helpless and in need. Most of the time, the "cowboy" behavior is appropriate and appreciated. But it also makes me think of someone so convinced of their own good intentions that they can't comprehend how what they do might not be appropriate or appreciated.

And for goodness' sake, please don't blame Connecticut for Dumbya. He's not a Yankee. He's been as eager to sever all ties with Connecticut as Connecticut is eager to sever ties with him.

ct_bush.JPG

It was Myanmar (formerly Burma) who refused our aid. It was for really bad reasons -- they are ruled by a military regime that cracks down on pro-democracy activists.

Okay Since I am very uneducated on fall out and the like can any one tell me how long it is estimated that we will need to stay in shelter uf God for bid we have a nuke go off? I assume that the closer we are to the nuke the longer we will need to stay in.

"Dumbya" is just as insulting as "Klinton" or any other "cute" back-handed insults to our political figures. Please confine all political insults to the OUTHOUSE, where they belong.

This thread is for the "red flags" we see in our daily lives, NOT political discussions.

Thank you for your care in keeping the discussions *on target*.

I'm locking this thread because it's getting too long. I reserve the right to strip off the political stuff when I have more time and dump it in the Outhouse, if I feel it's warranted.

On to Red Flags part 6!!!