MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

I'd like you opinion on something...

whether you all think I should add these items to my preps or not.

My DH has had a vasectomy. However, he is planning on having it reversed next year. We are waiting until then b/c we just moved and want to be completely settled into this house before we try. The possibility of us getting pregnant after surgery isn't much different than someone who hasn't had the surgery. Its 50% for them and 44% for us.

I have been thinking really hard on this. I don't know whether I should add baby items (non-perishable, diapers, wipes, body wash, etc.) I haven't been able to come to any conclusion on whether I should or not and DH hasn't been much help since he's busy doing his preps.

What do you all think? Would it be smart or going overboard?

My opinion... and take that for what it's worth... rollingeyes

If you have everything else you'd need to feel safely prepared, then add in some of the baby things. But only after you have water, food, safety, shelter taken care of.

The baby can get by with towels for diapers and mama's milk. You, on the other hand, need food and supplies so you are there to care for the baby.

And use thoughtful control. Do you *really* need baby wipes when for centuries women used washcloths? Could Ivory soap be substituted for baby wash? In other words, don't buy things ahead for a baby that couldn't also be used by you. UNTIL you have your preps ready.

Old mom that I am, I'd have cloth diapers, pins, plastic pants, etc. Rewashable and reuseable for #2!! And 3!!! wink

bighug

Originally Posted By: Cat
My opinion... and take that for what it's worth... rollingeyes

If you have everything else you'd need to feel safely prepared, then add in some of the baby things. But only after you have water, food, safety, shelter taken care of.

The baby can get by with towels for diapers and mama's milk. You, on the other hand, need food and supplies so you are there to care for the baby.

And use thoughtful control. Do you *really* need baby wipes when for centuries women used washcloths? Could Ivory soap be substituted for baby wash? In other words, don't buy things ahead for a baby that couldn't also be used by you. UNTIL you have your preps ready.

Old mom that I am, I'd have cloth diapers, pins, plastic pants, etc. Rewashable and reuseable for #2!! And 3!!! wink

bighug

lol, prolly not...Now that I sit here and re-read that I think those are left over remnants of my non-prepping days. smile

I agree with Cat. If you stock up on clean cloth diapers, you'd have a use for them whether or not you have a little one. And mama's milk, aside from being the best nutrition, is free.

One other thing I'd probably add is a baby food mill, and a book on baby food.

:-)

I agree with Cat and Tracie,

All a baby needs is mamma's loving arms, her warm, sweet milk, cloth diapers and warmth. Today's society really goes overboard with baby items. If you have a baby someday, it will use the same (make sure it's mild) soap you use and blankets.

Another idea: If you crochet, knit and / or sew, just stock up on yarn, fabric and thread (I stock up on these items myself). This way, you can make baby clothes and blankets when the time comes, and if you don't need to, the yarn and fabric can be used to make yourself and your husband items you need.

The nice thing about baby items is they are amazingly cheap at garage sales. At least 95% of my baby/children's clothes are used or hand-me-downs. It's nice to plan on making stuff but if you get morning sick or other life experiences are taking all your time, it's nice to have a few of the basics. Cloth diapers are great prep items; could be for dressing wounds, cleaning, etc if not used for standard baby purposes smile If you do buy or make a few things ahead they can be used by you or for baby shower gifts or ??? I have specifically saved patterns for cabbage patch doll clothes as these will fit preemie babies. I probably wouldn't get much until you get moved and settled in.

I agree with everyone else. I have stocked wipes, but only as a no water solution to cleaning. I do not and will not be having a baby of my own, but do have grand children that I am planning for on my own. I now buy cloth diapers for any baby gift because the mother can use them as spit up rags if she wants to only use disposable diapers, but she always has an emergency back up if not. Cloth diapers have so many uses besides babies anyway. The biggest prep I would consider in the baby related area is saving books or articles about making baby food, health issues and what to do with them and even delivering your own baby. You don't even have to spend much on them now...just look online and download the informaiton you need from one of the many websites out there, print them up and you have a baby notebook with all of the information in one place.

I really like the idea of having supplies to make what you need later. It can be used for you if no baby and for the baby if you have one. Besides you can't put up enough clothes to have for the child long term...they keep growing.

I am thinking of my grandchildren in my preps, but I am concentrating on things that will help me and my family to survive first. The basics first then if there is time and money I might go for things that would be nice to have but I may never use. So keep it simple and get what you can use either way first and save specialty items for when extra time and money is there to get those "luxury" items.

Very good idea; I've started something similar; I have about two dozen cloth diapers and a couple packs of pins...I also have downloaded and saved on my hard drive patterns and instructions for making all in one style diapers...with waterproof covers and velcro.

I'd need to learn the ins and outs of cloth diapering myself, though! I tried it and gave up in frustration at the overwhelming chore I found it to be...I'm afraid I'm one of those who added to the landfill problems with disposable diapers for my four children... blush Oh, well, at least I breastfed...very few formula containers from me!

I have a couple of cookbooks for toddlers too...saved from when my kids were young. Maybe I need to keep them with the "baby" things, rather than with the cookbooks!

Another thing I have is a couple of references on breastfeeding. Hopefully when the time comes for my three daughters and one daughter-in-law, I'll be here to give suggestions and advice on this subject if it's needed. But if I'm not, having access to this information is critical, IMO. I think that many people give up trying to breastfeed when they run into problems due to a lack of practical help and encouragement.

In hard times, having an unlimited supply of milk, with no need to worry about sterilization or bottle paraphernalia, would be worth more than gold...passing along the mother's antibodies to the baby would also help prevent illness...valuable anytime, but particularly during difficult times.

Trouble is...breastfeeding isn't completely an instinct. It's a learned skill in many ways.

Your post reminds me of the need to print out key articles I've saved on my computer. I often hesitate to print things out right away due to the high cost of printer ink. I need to go through what I have and print out key articles, though.

Another thing...I sew, and have saved patterns for baby clothes. This may be a good prep...a few well-chosen multi-size unisex patterns for baby clothes...for clothes of ANY age, for that matter! Like you've pointed out, it's impossible to store enough clothes for growing children...they could even be made from worn-out adult clothes, if need be...but the project would be SO much easier with patterns to follow!

Great thread; thanks

My opinion is similar - avoid the trappings of commercial babyism and go with simple. However, something you might want to keep on hand are a few bottles, nipples, and a sippy cup or two. These can always be washed or sterilized and are also very valuable as barter items.

I've been fortunate to get a few free bottles, diaper samples, etc. and put them away in a box for the 'someday, if god is willing'. What I would have on hand also would be some smaller spoons and a food mill.

I have waaayyy too much going on as well to plan for babies in my preps, but also stock flannel, thread, etc. and can sew. The only reason I would stock wipes would be to distribute throughout the BOB's as 'emergency' cleaning items, and even then, those are few. I'd really and truly rather spend the money on something else.

Remember, you can make your own wash cloths from worn out towels or garments....just hem the edge.

The only thing I see missing here is provision for some way to carry the baby while you're working. If you surf, you can find free printable patterns for ring slings and Maya wraps. My babies were the sort that really needed to be carried to keep their cool. Supposed to make them smarter too.

I'd use a ring sling for a tiny infant and once it's big enough to hold up its head, a Maya wrap. Because ring slings are asymetrical, they give me a backache with a bigger kid.

A Maya wrap pattern:

http://www.mayawrap.com/n_sewsling.php

Several sling patterns:

http://www.mammasmilk.com/pages/makeyourown.php

I haven't sewn any of these!

I love my sling! It's really easy to make your own too. It costs me only $3.60 to make my own ring sling! And once again, it will be just from fabric you have lying around, and can be put together at the last minute with minimal sewing (just zig and / or hem bare seams), so you can make one if you need one. If not, use the fabric for something else.

Quote:
I have a couple of cookbooks for toddlers too...

I never saw the need for "special" foods for toddlers.

Until I HAD one!! rollingeyes

I remember the time my 2 yo DS kept the peas *in his mouth* from suppertime (kept him at the table for a LONG "toddler" time!) until bath time... Mom constantly watching for signs of choking. Dad insisted, Mom was worried, DS found that this time HE was in charge!! No, he got to spit them out, but we all hated that night. DS still had the taste of those peas even if he didn't *eat* them. LOL

We instituted a new rule... one small bite, then nothing "forced". The combination of insist and choice took care of it.

ANYWAY...

I eventually found that telling them it was "grownup food" and they couldn't have it "yet" helped a lot. LOL

Just one of those "Public Service Tips" for future reference...

happy02

LOL! Too funny, Cat!

When my son was a toddler, he got what we ate. I had no time to make different meals for adults and child. If he didn't eat it, well, I figured he'd eat at the next meal, as though he was as stubborn as me, he'd not starve himself to death to make a point. He quickly learned that if he was hungry he should eat what we ate. Sometimes he'd just pick at one food, but, like you, we had a rule he at least had to TRY it. And generally, once he tried it, he liked it. He became a surprisingly adventurous eater, willing to try all manner of new foods. He still enjoys trying new things. I don't know that my style of child-rearing had much to do with that, or whether he's just naturally adventuresome. But it all worked out.

Originally Posted By: Cowgirl
LOL! Too funny, Cat!

When my son was a toddler, he got what we ate. I had no time to make different meals for adults and child. If he didn't eat it, well, I figured he'd eat at the next meal, as though he was as stubborn as me, he'd not starve himself to death to make a point. He quickly learned that if he was hungry he should eat what we ate. Sometimes he'd just pick at one food, but, like you, we had a rule he at least had to TRY it. And generally, once he tried it, he liked it. He became a surprisingly adventurous eater, willing to try all manner of new foods. He still enjoys trying new things. I don't know that my style of child-rearing had much to do with that, or whether he's just naturally adventuresome. But it all worked out.

Thats how my DD is...when she was smaller (still small, just 3 y.o) we didn't have money or choice to be picky so she learned to eat what is in front of her. Lol, my mom still gets a kick out of the fact that Em likes rice, beans and crab (at the chinese place when we are lucky enough to get to go). Spinach however is another story...lol

Having a "new" (he is 8 months old now!) baby in the house, I have been thinking about this and the addition of any other's that might come along. I would like to add that infant pain medication is relatively cheap and a bottle of tylenol and one of infant motrin would go a long way if it was needed. And I think that they would keep for a few years. If you didn't use them then you would be out....maybe $10. I would rather have them than worry about the $10. Otherwise, I agree with everyone else.....the baby would be the least of your worries smile

Blessings,

Carie

Okay - where in the world do you even find cloth diapers, let alone plastic pants? A friend had grandchild coming and parents wanted these items and never were able to find them? Would love to know - are they now available after years of the disposables?

A site I like is www.greenmountaindiapers.com (If that isn't it just google for Green Mountain Diapers). Another is www.babybestbuy.com or something similar to that. You can still get the white rectangular diapers (like my mom remembers) and some that look almost like disposables. I got mine used from Craig's list. I paid $50 for 20 some diapers and have used them for over 4 months. Since I am paying almost nothing when I do buy disposables (sales and coupons) I figure that I have made my money back in spades smile I am going to have to start replacing them though. Anyway, still cheaper than disposables. Sorry that I am not certain about the links, my computer crashed and I lost most of my stuff.....still haven't got some of it back.

Blessings,

Carie

oh goodness.. yes!

no need to go overboard but those things like safety pins, fabric to make clothing, patterns, flannel for diapers.

Not just for your baby (fingers crossed for you if that is what you want) but for the children you may find without parents along the way.

About the yardage on a bolt of cloth...usually around 10. At least the bolts I have bought from WalMart have been around 10 yards. I got a bolt of unbleached muslin from JoAnn and I believe it had a couple times at least that on it