MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
nmchick

how to get purslane to grow in your yard

I'm been going on about purslane over in the kitchen, so I thought I'd tell ya'll about how to get it to grow.

One way would be to go buy some seeds. Seeds of Change is one company that sells them.

But, you don't really have to do that. Find yourself a purslane plant, anywhere. Then pull it up. Throw is somewhere you'd like it to grow. When purslane is uprooted, it puts all it's energy and water into growing seeds. It will make thousands of seeds. Wait a little while and you will have many purslane plants.

I didn't know all this, though, and last year when I weeded my purslane out of the garden, I just threw the plants over the fence to decompose. They made lots of seeds that washed back down in to my garden. It's just covered in it this year. But know I know I can eat it, I'm pretty happy about it. smile

Here's a nice purslane link.

http://landscaping.about.com/cs/weedsdiseases/a/purslane.htm

BTT

I just pulled a bucket full of purslane growing wild in my lawn and am going to see if MIL & DH will try some. Last year I left one plant and this year it multiplied into a 6 foot squared area.

Oh, nmchick, you made me laugh out loud in the library (shushes & dirty looks all around)! I eat my weeds too, and thank you for telling (warning?) others that they will grow from cast aside plants from weeding. I still habitually put aside the edibles when I weed anything, and have a delightful lunch of mixed greens.

I regularly eat the purslane, lambsquarters, young dock, wild mustards, dandelions (if young and un-blooming; also good in late autumn), along with my dayllily buds, and chickory roots. Then I go pick some yarrow (for colds), plantain, chickweed, purple clover blooms, motherwort and catnip for medicinal uses and some wild mints (if I am lucky enough to find them) for tea.

Weeds rule!!

Oh, nmchick, you made me laugh out loud in the library (shushes & dirty looks all around)! I eat my weeds too, and thank you for telling (warning?) others that they will grow from cast aside plants from weeding. I still habitually put aside the edibles when I weed anything, and have a delightful lunch of mixed greens.

I regularly eat the purslane, lambsquarters, young dock, wild mustards, dandelions (if young and un-blooming; also good in late autumn), along with my dayllily buds, and chickory roots. Then I go pick some yarrow (for colds), plantain, chickweed, purple clover blooms, motherwort and catnip for medicinal uses and some wild mints (if I am lucky enough to find them) for tea.

Weeds rule!!

Wow... i've got a lot still to learn. still don't know yarrow, chickweed, motherwort, dock or wild mustard...

MIL said her mother used to make it, so I used her recipe:

Saute onion (1 slice/diced)

Added diced tomatoes (2 Tbs.) Sauteed a couple more minutes.

Added the chopped purslane (2 cups) and an 1/2 cup of water.

Simmered for 10 minutes.

Went well with a piece of lemon peppered salmon.

Fed 3 for dinner tonight.

It's also good sauteed in butter (or bacon grease--but that goes without saying) with Parmesan and a little thyme.

dem bunnies knew what was good!

Simmered for 10 minutes.

THANKS! I'm going to give this a try tomorrow night!

Simmered for 10 minutes.

THANKS! I'm going to give this a try tomorrow night!

It was a new experience for me. DH said I needed to add more purslane. How did you like it?

It appears that leaf cutter ants like purslane. They stripped all the leaves off last night. Just hope they don't start on my garden next.

It appears that leaf cutter ants like purslane. They stripped all the leaves off last night. Just hope they don't start on my garden next.

Awwww ((((CGA))))

The black harvester ants like it too. I had a battle with them when I picked the last batch. But, rubbing a leaf on the ant bites took the burning itch out of it. :thumbs:

I transplanted one plant into my garden area. It is flourishing and flowering nicely.

I'm glad I'm not the only strange person around that eat weeds. ;) This year I am trying something new. I am allowing the edible weeds to grow along side my mustard greens, collard greens and other garden veges. I have wild purslane (not very big yet), dandelions and amaranth growing right now and I just harvested some amaranth and dandelion leaves. I would like to grow more "wild weeds"( I say this lovingly) and make them a part of my regular veges. When my purslane plants grow bigger to make a meal, I will try this recipe. It sounds really good.

Thanks Annarchy. I haven't heard of it but MIL was always when it was time for lambsquarter.