Sign in to follow this  
Cat

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE THIS WEEK TO PREPARE? PART 31

OH MY GOODNESS!!! How far we've gone...

Time to start another thread.

darlenedance

Part 30

:hello2:

I can't believe we're on part 31 , how funny! We'll we've been busy haven't we? clap

I finally made contact with the right person at WinnDixie and am now on the list to call for bakery buckets, we've already picked up twice!! bounce

Also, yesterday, I went to the hall closet and looked at the assortment of junk in there...what a mess! With the assistance of my ds's we emptied it, scrubbed it down and now it holds a great deal of my preps! woohoo

Cleaning the kitchen up, doing some lists for next payday, budget, food, preps and where I can find them.

Going to stock up on fishhooks, line, sinkers, bobbers, as well as other stuff.

stearic acid and more wax for candles. thinner wick. Oil lanterns.

I made a run to Sam's club. Ouch. I think I have enough laundry and cleaning supplies to last 2 years though. Same with vitamines and headache stuff. I got some paper plates to use in case of an emergency. I got paper so I could burn them in the fireplace after they are used and not load up the trash. I got some other normal stock up stuff too. It didn't seem like I saved much this time.

There was plenty of rice, flour and sugar with no limits.

Bought my Berkey Light today. I got the ebay deal where to get three "free" portable filters. http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-BERKEY-LIGHT-Wat...p3911.m14.l1308

bounce

I canned some marmalade and made baked beans from scratch today. I also vacuum sealed up some sugar and dry milk. I cleaned out my laundry room, which is off of the kitchen and has two shelves for storing excess items, as well as a small pantry. I got rid of a few impractical things I never use and made room for canning pots, dehydrator, etc.

Tracie, just a note you do not have to seal up sugar, it will keep forever as long as it is dry. I buy it and pour it into super pails and put a gamma seal on it. I have three and I check them and they are fine.

Makes you wonder about eating it-------:)

LOL...I always read this thread but don't always post.

So..today, picked raspberries, made jam.

Did a Costco run, adding to my toilet paper collection, the laundry soap, and that sort of thing.

Since we joined the co-op farm, I am not needing much in the way of eggs or veggies at the store and we are trying to empty our freezer so I wasn't buying any meat, either.

Tomorrow is pickle day! Co-op lady said I could have all the pickling cukes I want as long as I pick them myself--and it's best to use fresh ones for pickling anyway so I am delighted. I have not made pickles in years. Family wants batch of relish so that is on the list.

Getting furnace cleaned and tuned up tomorrow.

Put in order for firewood.

Picked up some more jelly jars at Big Lots last night. (these have a high attrition rate due to gifting so I always have to get more of those kind)

Judy, you have been BUSY! I want pickles! My kids love them and they are so darn expensive they are something we rarely buy. There used to be a huge jar of pickles we could buy at Walmart for 2.50...same har is about 6 dollars now.

Originally Posted By: BiscuitMaker
Tracie, just a note you do not have to seal up sugar, it will keep forever as long as it is dry. I buy it and pour it into super pails and put a gamma seal on it. I have three and I check them and they are fine.

But, but, but I just *got* my foodsaver!!!! Doesn't that mean I *hafta* seal everything? bounce :cocktail: :ebay: bounce

In that case Tracie, you must seal everything in sight. Even your grandmothers old Bible. Oh wait, that was me. Do you have the jar attachment yet. Now that's really fun to play with!

Picked up two more 2'X3'X18" high military aluminum shipping containers. That should about complete my needs for indefinate BO ability. Added another ceiling fan w/twisted bulbs installed. Sure helps to stir the air a bit. wc

Originally Posted By: Jeepers
In that case Tracie, you must seal everything in sight. Even your grandmothers old Bible. Oh wait, that was me. Do you have the jar attachment yet. Now that's really fun to play with!

OOOOhhhh, you know her bible does have some beautiful art in it. Mebbe I should seal it. It would fit in about 7 sections of 11" roll...... You know, just to keep it safe.

:cocktail: bounce

Originally Posted By: Aint2nuts
Judy, you have been BUSY! I want pickles! My kids love them and they are so darn expensive they are something we rarely buy. There used to be a huge jar of pickles we could buy at Walmart for 2.50...same har is about 6 dollars now.

Pickles are SO WICKED EASY!!!!

Seriously, probably the easiest thing to can. I did two batches of the quick-pack pickles from the ball blue book. Hubby LOVES them.
Ooh, I bet I could seal pickles with the foodsaver. cuz, you know, jars break...

I spent time in the hot sun this morning hoeing weeds at the CSA (community supported agriculture) farm I signed up for a share of. I'm learning about growing stuff, I'm getting my family to eat healthier stuff, plus I now know a local farmer so if TSHTF and I'm looking to buy food, I'm not an anonymous part of some hoarde, I'm an established customer smile

Originally Posted By: Vipper
Originally Posted By: Jeepers
the jar attachment

It's the jar ATTACHMENTS... Large and small mouth smile
LOL...

Kath

Yes, yes, yes, what was I thinking!

let's see... I bought 6 cans of corn beef hash, 4 cans of ravioli in tomato sauce, 3 bottles of ketchup. 8 cans of fruit, 4 cans sliced tomatoes, 4 cans mushrooms, 4 pounds of navy beans.

Added 6 bars of bath soap and 2 bottles of shampoo and conditioner to the non-food part of my preps along with OTC pain relievers and inventoried my many prescriptions of medications (I'm good for about 6 months I think .)

MY daughter and I cleaned out the root/storm cellar to make more room for preps and still afford our behinds in case of a tornado. We also cut up about 20 old torn pairs of blue jeans to use to make new quilt tops out of to "recycle" old comforters and blankets that have seen better days. Waste not want not!

Tomorrow is inventory day for the cellar as well as the inside panty so we know what our weaknesses are... cough cough ... EVERYTHING! We both lived off of our emergency supplies for several months before our move to Kansas in order to save money for gas to make the move from arizona to our new home town.

Bought 2 yards of dinosaur fabric to make a quilt for my grandson since he's informed me that he is "too big " for winny the pooh. LOL.

I've been adding "extras" to my grocery cart each time I go, picking up multiples of sale items for storage... to beat inflation, don'tcha know! wink

Yesterday I picked up cornstarch, coffee, filters, charcoal, and boxed scalloped and mashed potatoes. Each trip I grab a 5 lb bag each of sugar and flour.

I freeze the flour for a few days, let it thaw on the counter for a few days, then Foodsaver it! Hear that, Tracy? grin

Originally Posted By: Tracie

But, but, but I just *got* my foodsaver!!!! Doesn't that mean I *hafta* seal everything? bounce :cocktail: :ebay: bounce

Tracie---well it is official you are now an official woohooprepper clapsmilie
Now I have sealed everything including important papers in the freezer.
I love my food saver it will keep meat in the freezer forever.
My only advice is when sealing it is easier if you put a book or piece of wood under the item you are sealing that lifts it a little and it does make a difference. I can't take credit my husband the engineer worked that out. Every time I get a new toy he has to play with it. coffee2

LOL cricket!

Should I be freezing my flour? I live in the northeast and we don't have the bug problems that my sister in Florida has. My extra flour has now been all foodsaver-ed up. should I throw those packages in the freezer for a day or two? or would I be risking weird issues?

I've been doing the same thing at the grocery store Cricket. I have one near me that does a lot of loss-leaders, which is awesome for this purpose. They probably hate me though, because I rarely buy an item there that isn't on sale. :-D

Originally Posted By: Tracie

Tracie---well it is official you are now an official woohooprepper clapsmilie
Now I have sealed everything including important papers in the freezer.
I love my food saver it will keep meat in the freezer forever.
My only advice is when sealing it is easier if you put a book or piece of wood under the item you are sealing that lifts it a little and it does make a difference. I can't take credit my husband the engineer worked that out. Every time I get a new toy he has to play with it. coffee2

Ya gotta love engineers! cheer that's actually a very smart idea on the papers. I'll have to do that! Thanks!

Tracie~ I am the same way at our local grocery. Usually buy little more there than the loss leaders because the rest is way too high.

I just made 8 half-pints of blackberry jam from the berries I picked this week. Saved money and now we have a nice start on a good supply of jam.

hi. i visit this site all the time, but finally joined! i have to say that reading all the stuff here made me go out and buy a dehydrator this weekend. any suggestions on thigs that really work well/ don't work well?

Hi Tracie,

I ordered a Berkey Light on the 8th of May from Berkeystore.com and still have not received it. I requested shipping info by e-mail 2 weeks after placing the order and didn't get a reply. I sent a second follow-up at 30 days, still no reply, then a 3rd request and finally I was told that the mold to make the black filter elements was broken and had to be re-tooled. I was also told to address future follow-ups to the manufacturer new millenniumn concepts at http://www.berkeywater.com/ I contacted them and was told they had received the equivalent of 11 months of orders in the past 30 days and I should receive my Berkey Light in 14 days. Well.. that didn't happen so I called back and was now told they had problems with the lower units leaking and I am in the que and should receive my order in the next 14 days. Still no Berkey since my May 8th order. My next phone call will not be so nice. I will quote the FTC laws for business practices. These people have surely violated them. I wish I would have ordered on e-bay as you did. Please let us know when you receive your Berkey.

Mick

Funny, I just got an email from the seller saying he won't have any until August. I don't know how patient I'm going to be... I mean two or three weeks isn't so bad, but I'm not going to wait much longer than that.