MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Cat

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE THIS WEEK TO PREPARE? PART 31

The generator is now in place and hooked up. Gave it a "test run" to check it out.

I can run the furnace (oil heat), the well pump (no more water worries with the 600' deep well), the washing machine, assorted lights, the TV, and ONE small burner on the range all at the same time with no problems. When I tried to add in a window AC unit the generator cut out. Looks like I will have to "stagger" some things if I need to run an AC unit.

Also got some "Free Firewood" last night earthqua . Had a tree come down in a storm. Missed the house, but now I have to cut it, split and stack it. The tree was about 2 1/2' in diameter and around 50' tall - black birch. Should burn well once it is seasoned.

Campy if you ever add a coffee pot (like Mr. Coffee) to the generator it really pulls it down also.

Not precisely something I've done, but my fiance approached the topic of getting a dehydrator, approved the idea of me getting a canner, and says he has no problems with me deciding to prep.

Yay for getting the people you live with on board!

My husband's starting to believe! Bought a safe today and he agreed to break a large CD & put half into PM's if WaMu fails--

Also will consult with my LDS Bishop brother in law who runs a multi million dollar financial consulting firm about how to set up a "last plane out" account.

What is this 'last plane out' account? I've never heard of it before.

For me...

I canned 50# of hamburger

Tidied up the pantry only to mess it up again re-arranging & sorting.

Packed up flour, sugar, and brown sugar

Washed 5 dozen narrow quarts, 3 doz pints & 12 doz wide mouth pints

Enjoyed lettuces and radish greens from the garden...

And placed an order for 40# of pickling cucumbers in 2 weeks.

I'm interested in what that type of account is too.

I just bought 18 lbs of chicken to can. and a few pounds of shredded cheese for the freezer.

Went through and updated the food and SHTF supplies inventory list. I still have a couple of holes, but they are minor and if major SHTF today, I could do without this stuff (but it would be better with it)

Last night while it was raining (as it had all day) and I was going crazy sitting around, I went downstairs and inventoried my basement prep room. Did have a few holes as expected so I made up a list of things to buy next big shopping trip.

I want to can up some hamburger but my DH is already looking at me like I am nuts... he said we had LOTS of food in the storage room. To me, it is just a start..... he doesn't realize how little we would have if we needed to start using only that.

Also made more jam today. We will really be stocked well on that!!

Simplegirl, maybe you should spread things out a bit, so it doesn't overwhelm him visually. Be a bit creative with your storage spots. smile

Today I canned 14 pints of tomatoes for soup.

Guess I will have to do that. Funny because he seemed to be on board but lately he has been acting like I am nuts to ask for more shelving for things.

Of course he doesn't know (or really care) how much is really needed for the amount of time I want to prep for. His eyes glaze over when I start talking about it... kind of like when I talk about money... or anything else that is actually important. He is a good guy, but as long as his needs are met, he doesn't want to know about how it is done.

I made lists. Lots of lists. What we have (not much), what we need (lots), what are priorities, what we'd do if.. scenarios. I'm new to all this, and have very little preps. I also did some de-cluttering - getting rid of some junk to make more space for useful items I'll be accumulating for preps. And I spent some time getting educated by reading the great ideas here.

RE: Last plane out account.... the term goes way back to the Vietnam war. A last plane out account referred to banks (in Vietnam etc) establishing international accounts for their customers so that they would be able to bug out of the country in a hurry in case the communists overran them and have money waiting them in a safe foreign country so they could have the means to survive & take care of their families.

A safety outlet someplace else in case the dollar tanks or worse in this case. Hence, Last Plane OUT.

That's a great idea. I used to think international accounts were only for people trying to get out of paying income tax, but now that you put it that way, maybe I should talk to DH about this.

Of course it would have been a lot smarter to do it a year ago, when our investments were worth a lot more...

Installed a battery operated alarm on my shed (110 db alarm) as well as a 2nd lock. The DW and I figured the alarm was needed the way the economy is going.

I have about 50 gallons of gasoline stored there as well as the snow thrower, riding mower, chain saw, a bunch of additional power tools and 8 radio control model airplanes (the model planes alone are worth about $600 - $1,000 each).

last night DH and I put together a spread sheet of grocery list items so we can tell at a glance what our best price has been and what a good sale price is in the future.

We also inventoried self defense supplies and put together a list of what we need in that area, along with a basic plan of how/when we'll get that.

Today we're working on organization in the house, freezing some fruits bought on sale, and starting our lists of what food items we already have on hand so we can get a better idea of what we need and a plan of buying it.

Last week we stocked up on emergency supplies since Dolly was headed our way. So we're pretty good there.

Campy, we live in town and have a couple of 5 gallon cans for gas for the generator. Any ideas on how we can safely store additional quantities? We don't have an outside building at this point, so all storage is in the garage. We do have a privacy fence in the backyard, but also a nosy dog whose safety is a priority to the Doggy Mommy!!

My dear, sweet, awesome, geek-boy, smart husband scored the following FOR FREE:

2x4 about 30 from 8 - 12' for shelves and an out-building shed.

Attic blow-in insulation 20 bags, more than enough to do our whole house. We've been waiting to re-insulate, mostly because of the money. Now, for the cost of a blower and a few hours, we will FINALLY have an insulated attic. This has saved us about $5-600!

God is so good!

I received my Berkey Lite last evening via UPS. Ordered May 8th - received July 25th. It was definitely worth the wait. With it I received 2 berkey black filters, 2 PF-2 arsenic/fluoride reduction elements, 3 one-quart nalgene bottles, a brush for cleaning the black filter elements, 3 bars of Caswell-Massey English Lavender bath soap, 1 tube of Nature's Gate fluoride-free toothpaste "Creme de Mint" and a 1 Fl Oz. bottle of red food coloring should I wish to test the Berkey's ability to remove the red color. I am extremely impressed with the performance of this unit.

Mick

Originally Posted By: Ferretma
Originally Posted By: Mick
On my last call I was told I would receive my order on July 21st. Can't wait till this Monday. Then their phone is going to ring a lot louder this time.

Did you get the Berkey today?

That's great news Mick, they didn't send me any of the little goodies and freebies they promised. But, I'm glad you got yours at least.

Originally Posted By: Simplegirl
Last night while it was raining (as it had all day) and I was going crazy sitting around, I went downstairs and inventoried my basement prep room. Did have a few holes as expected so I made up a list of things to buy next big shopping trip.

I want to can up some hamburger but my DH is already looking at me like I am nuts... he said we had LOTS of food in the storage room. To me, it is just a start..... he doesn't realize how little we would have if we needed to start using only that.

Also made more jam today. We will really be stocked well on that!!

You may have seen this picture before. I don't think anybody has tried to do a more current version. I shows how much a family of four eats in a year.
http://www.livinghistoryfarm.org/farmingin...s/money_01.html

Originally Posted By: CrabGrassAcres
You may have seen this picture before. I don't think anybody has tried to do a more current version. I shows how much a family of four eats in a year.

This shows you what a typical family eats in one week in various places around the world. It's eye-opening - and from before the recent surge in food prices.

http://www.fixingtheplanet.com/one-weeks-w...ound-our-planet

Originally Posted By: Ferretma
Originally Posted By: CrabGrassAcres

This shows you what a typical family eats in one week in various places around the world. It's eye-opening - and from before the recent surge in food prices.

http://www.fixingtheplanet.com/one-weeks-w...ound-our-planet

Thanks for that site. That was real interesting to see the differences around the world.

Originally Posted By: carr
last night DH and I put together a spread sheet of grocery list items so we can tell at a glance what our best price has been and what a good sale price is in the future.

We also inventoried self defense supplies and put together a list of what we need in that area, along with a basic plan of how/when we'll get that.

Today we're working on organization in the house, freezing some fruits bought on sale, and starting our lists of what food items we already have on hand so we can get a better idea of what we need and a plan of buying it.

Last week we stocked up on emergency supplies since Dolly was headed our way. So we're pretty good there.

Campy, we live in town and have a couple of 5 gallon cans for gas for the generator. Any ideas on how we can safely store additional quantities? We don't have an outside building at this point, so all storage is in the garage. We do have a privacy fence in the backyard, but also a nosy dog whose safety is a priority to the Doggy Mommy!!

I really do not suggest storing gasoline in the garage, especially if it is attached to or close to the house.

Ideally, gasoline should be stored in a cool environment at least 50' from your house and/or car. My shed is about 75' from the house and under some trees. It also has 4 small windows which I keep part way open during the summer for ventilation.

Home Depot has some "Arrow" 6' x 8' metal sheds for $200. MOST properties have room for a shed that size. I would also suggest a lock AND a battery operated "keypad" type alarm (about $10 on EBay).

If your privacy fence is the solid type (can not see through it - no slats, latice, etc), you could add/build a small shed using a corner of the fence as 2 of the walls. (As far as the neighbors are concerned, it is for gardening tools, garden hose, etc)

Another option would be in the ground. If you have a hill in the yard, dig out a hole, support the sides and top with some pressure treated wood and store the cans of gasoline there.

In any case, a door with a lock will keep the dog out of trouble and the lock will help if the cans of gas "decide to grow legs" smile The alarm is also a good night time deterrent.

FWIW - To "stabilize" the gasoline I highly recommend a product called "Pri-G". While "Stabil" will keep the gas good for 1 year, Pri-G will keep it good for 2 years. In addition, in tests run on Pri-G, they took 9 year old gasoline and treated it with Pri-G, then did tests comparing it to freshly pumped gas. The "performance ability" was equal to or better than 90% of the freshly pumped gas.

Hope this is of some help