MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
HSmom

Who is BOB? What about GHB? Hint: it's "what," not "who"

Our BOBs are stocked with emergency rations: http://beprepared.com/search.asp?t=ss&ss=mainstay

Prior to investing in those, I used lightweight items easily available at the grocery store: fruit leather, nuts, granola bars, energy bars, dry cereal, tuna pouches, crackers, and so on. I also had some chili and beefstew that were packaged in cartons, rather than cans. They were only somewhat less heavy than cans, but offered more variety. The down side is that these items don't do well in a hot car and need to be rotated often.

For hot environments such as vehicle interiors then lifeboat rations such as what HSmom links to above is the way to go. If you're the type that will keep other foods rotated monthly then other types of foods can be used, but the Coast Guard approved lifeboat rations from companies like Mainstay and Datrex hold up to the heat for a long time.

I like the 1200 calorie bars if I can get them. Less waste if one is opened and not entirely consumed.

.....Alan.

Originally Posted By: Stephanie

Angela, tell us your formula! prettyplease

I don't have a formula yet. I was thinking about taking TVP beef or chicken, some bullion, and dried peas, carrots, corn, tomato base, some rice or pasta, dried potatos etc... and making up a soup. Adding in a salt package and pepper package. Wet wipe, spoon, and a small candy bar or cookie. It shouldn't take all that long to cook up, and would be tasty. Especially when you are hungry. Seal them all into a pack with a napkin, and you are set.

That one is off the top of my head.

I was thinking that putting together precanned items like beanie weenies, and canned fruit, along with other items to make a package.

I know you can also get rice dishes that are basically 'made' already. All you have to do is cook them. They don't taste bad, and they are lightweight. They would need a protien, like TVP, but you could seal small packages of TVP (serving size) to go along with the rice dish.

Originally Posted By: Aint2nuts
I don't have a formula yet. I was thinking about taking TVP beef or chicken, some bullion, and dried peas, carrots, corn, tomato base, some rice or pasta, dried potatos etc... and making up a soup. Adding in a salt package and pepper package. Wet wipe, spoon, and a small candy bar or cookie. It shouldn't take all that long to cook up, and would be tasty. Especially when you are hungry. Seal them all into a pack with a napkin, and you are set.
I think that's a great idea...provided you've allowed for a way to heat water. I might throw some together for times when I'm super-hungry but can't think what to eat.

I'm doing something like this with dried veggies, boullion, and water, and maybe some instant rice packets. I wish I could figure out a way to include some home canned meat.

I have a similar thing in my lunch bag - instant iced tea packets, sweetener, wipies, flatware, napkins, seasoning, fruit leather, jerky, instant soup, and dried fruit or snack mix.

It becomes very easy to add a sandwich or salad, a portion of leftovers, etc. and have a to-go lunch bag.

I wonder how purchased jerky would respond in those dry soup mixes.

HSmom:

Quote:
I wonder how purchased jerky would respond in those dry soup mixes.

The pioneers definitely used jerky in their stews....but I *think* the process of cooking it soft took a while. [Where's Mother...she's one of our pioneer experts]

In a 72 hr kit (which is about the length of time an INITIAL basic BOB will take you) MAKE SURE to have NON-cooking items. Eat the jerky as is. Lifeboat rations. Granola bars. Dried fruit/leathers. Candies -- real peppermint cuz it calms the tummy. Gum-- cuz your mouth goes dry while watching a crisis. Protein Ebars. Juice boxes. Etc.

Let me tell you why it can be VERY likely INITIALLY, you won't be setting up a nice campfire and boiling a pot over it. campfire

--Cuz you MIGHT still be trying to arrive at somewhere safe. You might be in the EVAC line on the highway. Or a situation (like a wildfire) keeps spreading futher and you and yours have to keep moving. (I've done this!!! )

--Cuz you are soooooooooo physically and/or emotionally wiped out that you can BARELY CHEW! Trust me on this one, folks! Whatever hooey has hit your fan --- this is NOTHING like a camping trip.

--Cuz if your digestive tract is anything like mine (not everyone reacts the same), it does not particularly like food (no matter how very necessary it is to eat well) during stress. It is MUCH easier to get down carbs than protein in this case. I barely ate anything but our Ebars. These are ones that I'm used to using when I run out of energy. They have a fair amount of protein but are easily digested (not the lifeboat rations...I haven't tried mine yet).

--Cuz if the hooey is weather related...you don't want to cook outside a shelter. You've been thru a lot...and now it's raining in your "kitchen"? DarleneSwoon

--Proabably a lot of other reasons.

If you are fortunate, things may settle before that magical "72hr" time period wink but if not, you have the non-cook items. As things are settling down, those other camp cooking ideas will be great. You'll be ready for a break from Ebars. feedme

Couple more ideas:

--Ramen (and some veggies that you grew or bought frozen. and dehydrated).

--"Breakfast drinks" that can be made with water (get a good quality kind).

--Groceries now carry an assortment of dry soup mixes (try them ahead of time...in case they are gross) and your own dried veggies can be added to enhance these too.

Great Thread!!!

MtRider

Originally Posted By: Jakk
I found this website to be invaluable regarding packing a BOB and also having my important documents organized.

http://www.theplacewithnoname.com/blogs/klessons/index.html

I have four kids so I have 6 BOB's packed along with a 7th smaller bag with dog food/water/leashes/vet documents.

I went there earlier today and was amazed at the great "common sense" attitude and step by step suggestions he made. The worksheets for inventorying (?) were really helpful.

thanks for sharing this site!!

This guy who wrote theplacewithnoname indeed has a great resource! I've based a lot of our home document preparedness from his model.

Great website!

Mt Rider, I have the same problem when I'm under stress. Cannot eat enough to keep going. I end up with a lot of carbs and that doesn't help because I tend to retain lots of fluids. Then I can't breath and have NO energy. I do best with lots of milk, especially goat milk when I'm ill and/or stressed.

I just felt this needed to be bumped back up.

I am in the process of creating my checklists so I can get our BOBs started (again)and thought someone else might be also.

I am really re-evaluating how ours were done. Previously we had 2 bags. One for dh and myself and one for my dd. They had everything we needed in them to rip and run but there was a big flaw, or several really.

For one dh and I should each have a separate bag. My thinking with one bag originally was that dh would grab it and I would grab dd and hers. That was and still is our rule for anything, fire, tornado, intruder, etc. He gets protection/supplies I get dd. That way there is no question.

However with everything in one bag we used a duffle bag because of the size. Well duh, those are not easy to carry even though it had a shoulder strap. We need backpacks.

Besides I just started thinking what if dh and I were separated or had to separate at some point. We would each need our own bags with our own supplies that were specific to us.

So now I will be packing 3 bags. One for each of us. If we are able to stay together one of us could carry dd and the other her bag. She is not even a year old yet so her carrying her own isn't a reasonable option. Although I am considering getting her a small bag with diapers, wipes, and a small blankie *lightweight like a receiving blanket*, etc. Just in case, you never know.

It would be more difficult if we had to split up due to carrying dd's bag and her but I feel it is best so that no matter which one of us ends up with her (or another family member even) her supplies would be easily accessible.

I am also creating new BOB kits for our cars. Much smaller versions but still fully stocked. They will fit under the back seat in both of our trucks. And a mini BOB to keep in my purse.

I am hoping that Target still has some backpacks left in their clearanced school supplies. I am going to check this afternoon but if they don't I think we have some old ones of my sister's in the attic that we can use until I find a more suitable option...

I buy all my backpacks at thrift stores, usually about $4, and if I keep my eyes open, I can get really good quality for that price.

If I had a dh and a baby, I would make only two packs. One for me and one for dh. Both would have the baby's stuff in them. They'd be redundant, but redundancy is good.

I thought about putting the baby's stuff in ours but then I wondered what if something happened and she (the baby) had to be with a relative. It would have to be something pretty big for that to happen *most likely something happening to me or something. Largely I did it for space reasons though as I actually packed our BOBs to have enough to last us quite a while and her diapers and formula take up a lot of space.

I just talked to dh *ex military and he said my FIL *also ex military. Has some rucksacks (sp?) and bug out bags on hand already that I can have. Woo Hoo! Dh had one before but it was worn out and has disappeared. I am so excited to get these. I'll have to see what else he has...

My Target still had some backpacks at 75% off on Wednesday, I believe they do markdowns on Monday & Tuesday so there should still be some this weekend IF your store hasn't sold out. But, they were mostly Disney & the kind that are rolling at mine. I did find a pink camo one for me at $3.48 - DH is rofl at it. I figure if I have advance warning and it's needed, I can always spray paint it black.

Originally Posted By: Cecilia
I wouldn't paint it black. Pink is easier to see in the dark. wink

But that's the thing if we need to go stealthily - it would show up too much if I didn't paint it.

Otherwise I don't mind the pink camo - I was actually hoping there might be a Hello Kitty one too for day to day stuff for me. whistling

http://www.soupsong.com/bstock.html

Quote:

"Portable Soup," from The Lady's Companion (1753)

To make a Veal Glue, or Cake Soup to be carried in the Pocket Take a Leg of Veal, strip it of the Skin and the Fat, then take all the muscular or fleshy Parts from the Bones; boil this Flesh gently in such a Quantity of Water, and so long a Time, till the Liquor will make a strong Jelly when it is cold: This you may try by taking out a small Spoonful now and then, and letting it cool. Here it is to be supposed, that though it will jelly presently in small Quantities, yet all the Juice of the Meat may not be extracted; however, when you find it very strong, strain the Liquor through a Sieve, and let it settle; then provide a large Stew-pan, with Water, and some China Cups, or glazed Earthenware; fill these Cups with Jelly taken clear from the Settling, and set them in a Stew-pan of Water, and let the Water boil gently till the Jelly becomes as thick as Glue; after which, let them stand to cool, and then turn out the Glue upon a piece of new Flannel, which will draw out the Moisture; turn them once in six or eight Hours, and put them upon a fresh Flannel, and so continue to do till they are quite dry, and keep it in a dry warm Place: This will harden so much, that it will be stiff and hard as Glue in a little Time, and may be carried in the Pocket without Inconvenience.

You are to use this by boiling about a Pint of Water, and pouring it upon a Piece of the Glue or Cake, about the Bigness of a small walnut, and stirring it with a Spoon till the cake dissolves, which will make a very strong good Broth. As for the seasoning part, every one may add Pepper and Salt as they like it, for there must be nothing of that Kind put among the Veal when you make the Glue, for any Thing of that sort would make it moldy. As we observed above, that there is nothing of Seasoning in this Soup, so there may be always added what you desire, either of Spices or Herbs, to make it savoury to the Palate; but it must be noted, that all the Herbs that are used on this Occasion, must be boiled tender in plain Water, and that Water must be used to pour upon the Cake Gravy instead of Simple Water: So may a Dish of good Soup be made without Trouble, only allowing the Proportion of Cake Gravy answering to the abovelaid Direction: Or if Gravy be wanted for Sauce, double the Quantity may be used that is prescribed for Broth or Soup.

Good info on that site. I just finished inventory on our BOBs so I can adjust them.

With the wildfires around Los Angeles, now might be a good time to bring up BOB's with people who might not normally be interested. (Use more mainstream terms like emergency bag if you wnt to keep a low profile.)

Went to a preparedness meeting last night. This young man (I say young because he appears younger than DH & I) has it together. He has food stores, redundant BOB's, weaponry, AMAZING!

He also had his "BOOK" a notebook of financial info, bills, relatives, thumbnail drives with security, house notes, etc. He is active military and his wife is ex-military. I sat there for almost 4 hours and listened to the logic behind his planning. Really insightful and amazing.

It's the third time within about 6 weeks I've casually 'met' someone with the Master Plan notebook. I'm thinking it's no accident I was there. DH & I really need to get started on ours.

Originally Posted By: Stephanie
Thanks for all of this good info!

This is still a hole in my preps that I need to work on. One thing that has been holding me up is the fact that I have so many kids and that would be nine back packs to prepare. I think I'll just start with one for me and get it complete before starting another. I'm not sure that's the best plan or not.

This is one of the things on my "to do - NOW" list. Stephanie, I was wondering if you ever got yours together?

We have always planned on sheltering in place. Natural disasters in our area would be fires, tornados (although we have a cellar), or yellowstone erupting (in which case we're dead).

Because we always planned to shelter in place, I just haven't been up to tackling ten BOB's. My children are 12 and under. I have made lists for DH and I, but I just can't seem to tackle the mere thought of bugging out with this many children.

Hi again! Just welcomed you on the other thread. wave

They are still a work in progress. My oldest is 13 and I have 7 so we have a lot in common. (my youngest is 4 btw) Anyway, so far I've managed to ...

Get everyone a backpack of their own (total of 9)

I bought a load of the Mainstay water packets to divide between us. Each person has a jogging suit/undies/socks and an emergency (silver) blanket. I also bought each child a plastic whistle to wear around their neck.

Food wise I did an assortment of hard candies, suckers, vienna sausages, potted meat, crackers, individual packs of trailmix.

That's just off the top of my head, but that will give you a general idea of where I'm at.

WyoWoman welcome6

Getting started is always hard. Perhaps it would help you to think of the Rule of Threes " You can live three weeks without food, three days without water, three hours in severe weather without good shelter, and three minutes without air." http://everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=1405472

Start with air: you have fire danger there, so gather some masks or fabric to help everyone breath better in smoke. If anyone has asthma or other respiratory difficulties, gather their medication.

Next shelter: You don't have to pack a double-walled Army tent to meet this need. You can start with knitting extra hats, scarves & mittens. Throw in some contractors' bags to use as rain/snow ponchos and windbreaks. Space blankets are helpful too.

Water: filter and container.

Food: emergency rations (see the first post on this page).

Those items will get you started, but won't take a fork-lift to move around. And, hopefully, be less overwhelming!